Is Costco worth the $120 membership?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jbuzolich

Re: Is Costco worth the $120 membership?

Post by jbuzolich »

For us the executive 2% back on is own more than pays us back for the membership cost. The Costco visa then adds couple hundred per year back on fuel and restaurants especially. Money positive. Also using costs travel even one time per year more than justified the membership. We've had multiple Hawaii trips where the rental car price alone saved $250+ compared to the best price I could find with any other codes I had.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I'm single and started out with the executive membership last year when I bought a new TV, receiver and tires, but I downgraded this year with no regrets since I rarely have "big ticket" purchases to make the extra cost worth it.

I have one about 2 miles from where I live and the secret for me is to go during the week. The weekends are too busy with long lines. I rarely have to wait getting gas and can check out pretty fast if I go during the week.

An added bonus is a slice of pizza and Pepsi for $2 on the way out. :sharebeer
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Watty wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 pm
sabhen wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 pm What is the big deal about Costco?
If there are a few things that you still want to get at Costco then one option is it just go there once or twice a year with a friend who has a membership.
Or just have the friend buy you a Costco gift card (I think they call it a cash card) and shop anytime you want. I think you can buy gas with it too at the Costco posted price but you won't get the 4% rebate.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

njdealguy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:44 pm I'm personally not a big fan of their gas station and tire services due to what is usually massive wait times in each. The Sams Club gas station nearby usually costs nearly the same or a few more cents per gallon but lines are usually way less at the times I pass by. Would probably cost more in wasted gas to wait for Costco gas than going somewhere quicker.
The secret to the gas station is to know their hours are different than the store. Here the gas station is open 6am - 9:30pm while the store is open 10am-8pm. I’ll stop by if I’m out early or just go late. No line and cheap gas.

I do agree about the tires though. I don’t really like Michelin tires and the service is pretty bad. I don’t fault any of the people who work there since they’re usually in an impossible position due to the flood of people.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Getting Home & auto insurance through Costco saved me 2 years of memberships. My $800 cellphone was free after the Costco gift card. Their florist service is very good and relatively cheap. Yes, if all you're buying is steak & gas, it's not going to save you lots. Pick up their catalog at the front of the store that lists all the things they sell.

[Note that their cremation urns and caskets are very good value.]
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

It took time for the 2 of us to find items we loved. The precooked $9.00 bacon is great! 48 slices. We get gas there all the time, saves. We usually get about $60 back end of the year but it will be much less this year. In fact our membership expired end of Feb and we did not renew until May. I try to eat Keto - butter, avocadoes, almond flour, pecans, monk fruit sweetener, parmesan cheese are good prices. They have really thick pork chops very cheap sometimes that are great grilled like a steak. Or slice crosswise to make thinner and cook in instant pot. Car Oil, wine, rotiserie chicken, bread is 2 for 1 almost. Steaks are expensive but we recently purchased and they were very good. Toilet paper lasts you 6 months, as do paper towels. We like their dishwasher pods, and Reynolds aluminum foil when it is on sale. Have noticed increase in price on the OJ and a few items. Hubby likes the cheap tennis shoes for yard shoes. Daughter has their mattress, sectional, office chairs, etc.
We did buy a printer last year, ink this year. We rotate, Costco, Aldi, Walmart and HEB - different lists. Oh and car rental is good when we can go any where.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Agree that Costco is best for specific quality items you might want at a good price vs a cheaper general grocery store. Items you might find interesting, that we buy regularly like:

* High quality Tuscan olive oil, when available
* Fresh Italian Buffalo Mozzarella, Coastal Cheddar Cheese, Monchego spanish cheese, french feta, goat cheese, etc.
* Organic, cage free eggs
* Prime, choice beef, lamb, pork and other meats of high quality, organic whole and chicken thighs (notice flavor and quality difference)
* Kirkland branded wine and alcohol, such as 22 yr old scotch, vintage wines (while $70 for scotch, it is a very good value)
* Cruises where they kick back 50% or more of usual agent commission
* Quinoa, rice, canned black beans (roughly half price for double amount)
* Frozen salmon, shrimp of high quality

Its not so much what we save, but that an equivalent value is hard to match. Trader Joes is close sometimes.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

MJS wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:10 pm Getting Home & auto insurance through Costco saved me 2 years of memberships.
I am going to look into this! Thanks for posting.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm
Watty wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 pm
sabhen wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 pm What is the big deal about Costco?
If there are a few things that you still want to get at Costco then one option is it just go there once or twice a year with a friend who has a membership.
Or just have the friend buy you a Costco gift card (I think they call it a cash card) and shop anytime you want. I think you can buy gas with it too at the Costco posted price but you won't get the 4% rebate.
You used to be able to buy them online. You also used to be able to redeem them for cash. 😮
Toons

Post by Toons »

120.00 ?
Spend It
Enjoy .

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sport

Post by sport »

squirm wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:39 pm Sam's club is a better choice, way less people to get in the way and chance if getting sick. Otherwise they're pretty identical. Sam's club list what's in the aisle and doesn't move everything around all the time like Costco, which is to very annoying.
We used to have a Costco and a Sam's Club about 5 miles apart from each other. The Sam's closed due to "competition and lack of business". The Costco is always busy.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

If I go at least 3 times a year for any reason, or purchase anything on line, it is well worth it. Costco is American consumerism at its best, love to see high quality stuff stacked high. Walking through Costco is exploring canyons of goodness. As someone who grew up lower middle class, I enjoy just walking through the place, knowing that with my current wealth I can buy anything there that I want.

I always get my frozen yogurt and dog or pizza on the way out. A fitting end to an enjoyable hour.

Factoring in the savings, a basic membership is less than 5 bucks a month at worst, and I come out ahead at best. I'm frugal, but not cheap enough to question spending a couple of bucks a month :D
squirm

Post by squirm »

sport wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm
squirm wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:39 pm Sam's club is a better choice, way less people to get in the way and chance if getting sick. Otherwise they're pretty identical. Sam's club list what's in the aisle and doesn't move everything around all the time like Costco, which is to very annoying.
We used to have a Costco and a Sam's Club about 5 miles apart from each other. The Sam's closed due to "competition and lack of business". The Costco is always busy.
That's too bad. There's a Costco and Sam's twenty miles from us. Costco is too busy and while I've been in there many times, I don't see what the appeal is, Sam's works good enough for us.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:25 pm
Elysium wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:09 pm
Zonian59 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:49 pm For that $120 Executive membership to be worthwhile you have to spend at least $6,000/year.
It actually depends on your location. In my case, easily the whole membership is paid off with several Gas fills, with $8 to $12 per fill savings, all I need is ten visits, even once a month will do. I don't even need to step inside the store. But I do, and save on many more things.
But you just need a basic one for gas
Whether it is $60 or $120 is worth it is my point, depending on location and what products & services used. I pay $120 and already received more than half back, so my cost is only $46 this year for membership, already paid off through Gas savings alone. I am actually making profit now :wink:
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Zonian59 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Zonian59 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:49 pm For that $120 Executive membership to be worthwhile you have to spend at least $6,000/year.
The math is actually $3,000 and change, the ~$60 difference between the basic and executive.
That's true for an upgrade DIFFERENCE and that's the sales pitch the Costco people uses to get you to upgrade.
But when you ask HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE TO SPEND THE FOLLOWING YEAR when you pay the $120 membership, that's when they become "less enthusiastic and sheepishly admit you'll have to spend more than you're currently spending", to put it politely.

So you do have to spend $6,000 to make the $120 membership pay for itself.
$120 divided by 2% = $6,000.
Or looking at it another way: $6,000 x 2% = $120.
The way I look at it is I am going to give them the $60 anyway. So for me if I spend more than 3k it is worth it.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I shop at Costco very occasionally, but use the Costco Cash Card instead of a membership, which is allowed by Costco policies.

You (or a friend, relative) do need to be a member to buy the first one. You can also buy the Cash Cards during warehouse club quarterly bonus periods for Chase Freedom, Discover It cards for additional savings. Online purchases count for these bonuses.

Some stores allow you to use a Visa credit card for purchase amounts in excess of a non member's Cash Card, and others will not. Some of the best savings are in auto batteries, tires (beware the wait), TP, and chicken.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Random thoughts, in no particular order...

We spend enough on meat every year to pay for the executive membership, even though there’s only two of us in the house now.

The last time we moved, we saved enough on window coverings to pay for several years of membership dues.

Our local Costco is the only place that had toilet paper and Clorox wipes every time we went last spring. Not so lucky on hand sanitizer, but they have it now for $14.99 per half gallon. Back when Amazon wasn’t shipping much of anything, we could still get some stuff from Costco.com.

When we needed a TV, the price with tax at Costco was cheaper than the base exchange, even after sales tax.

Car tires and gas.

And swimsuits.

And they treat their employees properly.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 pm When we needed a TV, the price with tax at Costco was cheaper than the base exchange, even after sales tax.
Looking for a 55" TV now.

Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55 ... Id=6401735

Costco: https://www.costco.com/samsung-55%22-cl ... 49148.html

Are these not the same TV's for the same price?
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

I’m anxiously awaiting the opening of a Costco in my area next month. I’ve been a Sam’s Club member for 10 years, but I’ve already signed up for the executive membership and credit card with Costco (came out to $20 after ‘rebates’).

Here is my biggest concern. Sam’s Club has a Scan & Go feature on their app that is absolutely amazing. Scan each item as you put it in your cart, and when you’re done, slide your finger across the screen to pay with your credit card. Then you walk out the door, bypassing all the registers. It gives you a QR code to show the employee at the exit. It’s wonderful, and perfect for a store like that where you are buying big items in bulk (less handling the merchandise multiple times to move it in and out of the cart).

I understand that Costco doesn’t have such a feature. That might end up being a dealbreaker for me. I’ll see how I feel at the end of the first year.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Of the 3 clubs (Costco, BJs, Sams Club), I think Costco is the best. At the same time, if Costco wasn't free from my SIL (a benefit since she works there), we probably wouldn't pay for it.
RJC

Post by RJC »

You can use Instacart to bypass the membership fee AND have it delivered to your door.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

I like but don't love Costco. Too large of quantities and too busy in the stores. However, easily worth the $60 for us.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

atikovi wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 pm When we needed a TV, the price with tax at Costco was cheaper than the base exchange, even after sales tax.

Appears to be. It's one product. Look at 100 and Costco will be cheaper overall. On AVERAGE it's cheaper and often significantly less.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Bobby206 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Appears to be. It's one product. Look at 100 and Costco will be cheaper overall. On AVERAGE it's cheaper and often significantly less.
HAHA, apparently not on the stuff I actually want to buy.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

Also, I believe Costco adds an extra year's warranty at no additional cost. Like all warranties, wonderful if you need it, worthless if you don't, only time will tell. Costco's return policy is better too. However, Best Buy doesn't charge a membership fee so if this is the only reason you'd join, might not be worth it.

I bought a TV last year and Costco's was cheaper, somewhere between 50 and 100 bucks. I did a lot of research and was pleased with my purchase. I belong to Costco for a lot of reasons, a cheaper TV is just one of them.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Just bought prescription sunglasses from there and waiting to pick them up. Probably saved at least $50 buying from Costco versus elsewhere. Went to one eyeglass store and they don't do prescription sunglasses. They advised me to pick up a lens and add tint to it instead. So weird.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

GreenLawn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:18 pm

Also, I believe Costco adds an extra year's warranty at no additional cost. Like all warranties, wonderful if you need it, worthless if you don't, only time will tell. Costco's return policy is better too. However, Best Buy doesn't charge a membership fee so if this is the only reason you'd join, might not be worth it.

I bought a TV last year and Costco's was cheaper, somewhere between 50 and 100 bucks. I did a lot of research and was pleased with my purchase. I belong to Costco for a lot of reasons, a cheaper TV is just one of them.
I just went through this exercise on a similar TV. Best Buy warranty is 1 year, Costco is 3 years. And Costco offers free online/phone customer support. That's the difference between the two.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Opalmanta

Post by Opalmanta »

We love Costco. BUT we love our Costco in Wisconsin. When we lived in NJ, the Clifton Costco was not such a joy: very crowded, long lines, not helpful and no in-house wines. We buy gas, steaks, nuts, frozen seafood, batteries, eyeglasses, and whatever else catches our fancy. Not our primary grocery run, but buy enough to easily make it worth our executive membership.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Costco also has a *much* better return policy. Bestbuy only allows returns for 15 days, and charges a restocking fee on most electronics (not TV’s though). Costco allows 90 days for electronics, and it’s essentially unlimited for most other things.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

For me it isn't worth it because:
— I am single and don't need to buy in bulk.
— I live in a small apartment and can't store all those bulk purchases.
— The nearest Costco is a long ways away.
— I hate the crowds and the long checkout lines.
— I find that Costco caters to lowest common denominator tastes. I much prefer the products at my nearby Whole Foods.
— The idea of paying for a membership annoys me. It's the same reason why I refuse to join Amazon Prime.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Costco works great for us. We have a large multigenerational household, so buying in bulk is no problem. We have the $120 executive membership and the Costco Visa. So we get 4% cash back on all our Costco + Costco gas purchases. Even pre-covid 90% of all of our purchases for everyday staples came from Costco. Our 2 separate Costco rebate checks we get (from for the Costco Executive Membership and one for the Costco Visa are both more than the $120 executive membership fee, so we defintiely get our money's worth. Compared to Target/Amazon/local grocery store 90% of items are cheaper at Costco. For the few things that are not cheaper, which tend not to be staple items and more like clothes/random things, we will just buy them else where.
squirm

Post by squirm »

My credit cards extend the warranty.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

Opalmanta wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 pm We love Costco. BUT we love our Costco in Wisconsin. When we lived in NJ, the Clifton Costco was not such a joy: very crowded, long lines, not helpful and no in-house wines. We buy gas, steaks, nuts, frozen seafood, batteries, eyeglasses, and whatever else catches our fancy. Not our primary grocery run, but buy enough to easily make it worth our executive membership.
My two complaints about Costco are the long lines and their scarcity of locations. I suspect the two are related :happy

I live in a large city in Florida with no Costco, supposedly they're building one here next year. I have a Sam's Club withing walking distance so I ended up with two memberships this year. Not really thrilled with that, but gave me a chance to compare. Sam's has much shorter lines, so short I don't know how they stay in business (cheap wages?). I also find Sam's food court pizza tastier. Other than that I prefer Costco.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 pm For me it isn't worth it because:
— I find that Costco caters to lowest common denominator tastes. I much prefer the products at my nearby Whole Foods.
— The idea of paying for a membership annoys me. It's the same reason why I refuse to join Amazon Prime.
I hate going to Whole Foods because of the long checkout lines...
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

DSInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:22 pm I find that my executive membership rewards gives me back more than the $120/yr fee, then the costco visa card gives me back even more.

$120 is the annual cost of the executive membership which gives you 2% back. The regular membership is $60/yr. If you spend at least $3000/yr then you'd make back the cost difference between the regular and executive memberships.

If you buy your tires or computers there, then the rewards will add up fast and make the executive membership more attractive.
I think I spent $3,000 just on toilet paper, cleaning supplies and alcohol this year. :mrgreen:
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Ever shopped at Dollar Tree or Walmart? Not even close to being lowest.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

GreenLawn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:08 pm
Ever shopped at Dollar Tree or Walmart? Not even close to being lowest.
Well... the individual that shops at Whole Foods probably does not shop at Dollar Tree or Walmart...
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

So you're the guy buying a jar of asparagus water for $7? :mrgreen:
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Pesto, pasta, peas, Pelligrino, paper products, Pinot Noir, petrol, personal care products... we get our money’s worth.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bhsince87 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:13 pm Is anyone here a member at more than one wholesale club?
We have membership at both Sam's and Costco. They're about 10 minutes from our house, and about 2 minutes apart.

I prefer Sam's. Our Club has self-checkout, which I hugely prefer to the lines at our Costco (no self check out). And Sam's "meat" pizza at the deli was a wonderful, greasy delight (unfortunately the pandemic has shut down the deli for now).

DW prefers Costco. And Costco Travel has saved us a bucket on money on car rentals and a cruise.

Costco is more upscale, Sam's is more downscale. There's a distinctly different vibe in the places. Different strokes for different folks.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

What percentage of these discussions of the utilty of paying $60 or $120 per YEAR for ANYTHING are necessary?

My opinion is 0% but the mods keep allowing them so I must be in the minority.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

beernutz wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 pm What percentage of these discussions of the utilty of paying $60 or $120 per YEAR for ANYTHING are necessary?

Why pay for anything you aren't getting utility from?

I also cancelled Disney+ because we weren't watching it anymore, and that is about the same price.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 pm For me it isn't worth it because:
I will never understand the taste-buds of people that think Whole Food products are quality/good ...

That and the irony of liking Whole Foods over Amazon prime is priceless :)
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

windaar wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:42 pm We find it easier and more pleasant to just go to Target and use the Red Card for their 5% discount instead. Closer parking, no huge cart filled with heavy and bulky items, shorter and quicker checkout lines, no annual fee to wonder about.
Agree. Costco, If your buying dog food and something like that.
All the Best, | Joe
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

beernutz wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 pm What percentage of these discussions of the utilty of paying $60 or $120 per YEAR for ANYTHING are necessary?

Always a cantankerous codger somewhere on the forum ;)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Had the basic membership. Really only used it for glasses (frames) and a couple of select online purchases. It is 15 miles away and a madhouse and I don't know where everything is inside and the one time I grocery shopped there I couldn't find everything I usually buy.

I'll probably wait to renew until there is something I want to buy. May be getting new glasses frames soon (and lenses but I don't think you need membership for lenses)
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Stinky wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:40 pm
bhsince87 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:13 pm Is anyone here a member at more than one wholesale club?
We have membership at both Sam's and Costco. They're about 10 minutes from our house, and about 2 minutes apart.

I prefer Sam's. Our Club has self-checkout, which I hugely prefer to the lines at our Costco (no self check out). And Sam's "meat" pizza at the deli was a wonderful, greasy delight (unfortunately the pandemic has shut down the deli for now).

DW prefers Costco. And Costco Travel has saved us a bucket on money on car rentals and a cruise.

Costco is more upscale, Sam's is more downscale. There's a distinctly different vibe in the places. Different strokes for different folks.
The Costco by me now has self checkout. Was probably installed within the last 4 weeks or so.
jdgamble

Post by jdgamble »

We shop at Costco a lot, but we are a family of 5 with a good amount of storage space. We get > $120 back every year, so our membership is free.

Before I had a family, Costco was totally impractical, so the upgraded membership made no sense. I couldn’t support the quantities.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

We buy just a few things at Costco. They have some of the best blueberries and grapes in town. Plus their cheese selection, ground grass fed beef, and mixed unsalted but selection is basically the bulk of it. That alone makes the $60 worth it. But I would gladly pay $60 just to get the awesome blueberries and grapes.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
NMBob

Post by NMBob »

been a member for years but only go about 3 times a year. bought my tv from walmart after shopping around. i found i could get many items cheaper and not so huge at walmart or when on sale at grocery stores. bought tires once, one ruined, knew i would not get in very quickly at all when i was busy, and paid somewhere ese. the bacon package is a good deal , like 4 1lb packs for 12 dollars, and the butter pack. ritz crackers or frosted flakes,...not a good deal. no great prices on coffee last time in store, which was my only time in 9 months given covid...coffee cheaper on sales in grocery stores....almost 2 years ago i eyeballed the profusion razor blades for a while . they raised the fake regular price when they had them on sale so they were barely on sale actually ....there was even a disclaimor in the sale booklet that the stated reg price may not be the reg price or something. i sign up for emails from cvs, got the blades cheaper with either their 30 or 40 percent coupon at cvs. can sometimes get some somewhat name clothes at good price. actually, ordering bday cakes from their website and shipping is free, can't beat it. also the last time i mail ordered steaks and lobster pack as a gift, costco was as cheap as anywhere for the package they had. but daily grocery type thing...not expecting that many items to be cheaper...