Received used laptop from Costco web site

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Received used laptop from Costco web site

Post by blackwhisker »

I bought a laptop from Costco website in August. I liked it and ordered a second one this past week and received it a couple of days ago.

The Lenovo seal on the box of the second laptop didn't look new. Inside the box, the warranty information and product brochure were wrinkled.

So I looked up the serial number of the second laptop on Lenovo's warranty web site. It showed the warranty start date was from two months ago. The correct start date should be sometime this week. (They should use either the order date or delivery date)

In contrast, the first laptop I bought has the correct warranty start date from August.

Now it is clear they sent me a used laptop.

I am really shocked that Costco would sell me a used laptop.

Some questions:

-Anyone else has similar experience? I used to trust Costco.

-Anything I can do to minimize the chance of this happen in the future?

-what is the best way to contact Costco? Their phoneline is really busy. The wait is close to 1 hr. I will return this laptop. but return is a hassle and I want to give them my feedback.

Thank you.

Update: Just checked, the laptop was shipped from Costco in Maryland
Last edited by blackwhisker on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nummerkins

Re: Received used laptop from Costco web site

Post by Nummerkins »

What can we do about it? Call Costco and exchange.

This happens with all retailers. I've gotten used items from Amazon and BestBuy as well. They were easily replaced with new units.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I'd return to the store, if there is one close by. Then you can complain to the person at the desk if you'd like. It will be more efficient than the one-hour phone wait, then boxing it up, shipping, etc.

Just watch to make sure that your return window doesn't close on you. 90 days for electronics I think.

Order a new one on line.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

Most big box retailers have direct shipment from manufacturer to consumers nowadays when you place an order online so technically its probably Lenovo who screwed up and this happens every now and then. Costco is on the top of my list in terms of retailers because they stand by the quality of their products and if an issue arises they will almost always allow you to return the product.

I would just mark this one as bad luck and the fastest way to get this resolved is probably just return it in store and re-order another laptop.
Eazyndn

Post by Eazyndn »

Even though, as you said, the phone wait is about an hour, they do have a good callback feature I’ve used. You can be doing other stuff till they call you back.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Eazyndn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:36 pm Even though, as you said, the phone wait is about an hour, they do have a good callback feature I’ve used. You can be doing other stuff till they call you back.
When was this? I tried calling Costco last month and had to wait; I think the "call back" feature may have been disabled this year.

Post by 123 »

boogiehead wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:29 pm Most big box retailers have direct shipment from manufacturer to consumers nowadays when you place an order online so technically its probably Lenovo who screwed up and this happens every now and then. Costco is on the top of my list in terms of retailers because they stand by the quality of their products and if an issue arises they will almost always allow you to return the product.

I would just mark this one as bad luck and the fastest way to get this resolved is probably just return it in store and re-order another laptop.
+1 I believe that Costco (as well as likely Best Buy and Amazon) use direct shipment from either the manufacturer or some consolidated depot. So you'll get the same thing regardless of where you buy it from. I intentionally buy stuff from Costco, even when its not the best price, because of their excellent return policy. As long as you meet the time limits they'll take it back, rarely any issues or questions.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I just take any online purchases I make and don't want for some reason back to the store along with the online receipt. They'll take it back there. Usually any reason is fine but yours is certain to be accepted.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

The store I work for used to sell Lenovo. We ordered about 100 laptops at the start of the summer, and sold them through the fall. Several years later, we found out somebody at Lenovo started the warranties at the time they shipped them to us. Leaving us to deal with a customer who bought a brand new laptop in September and had a dated Proof of Purchase, but a broken laptop and a warranty that had run out 90 days early. No amount of badgering could get Lenovo to accept the POP as the date to start the warranty.
I could regale you with hair-raising tales of days spent being shuffled from one rep-du-jour to another, only to wind up back where I began; laptops having desktop warranties applied to them, etc etc.
OTOH, as long as the unit showed up as being under warranty, the service was almost invariably exceptional.
I can't tell from what you posted if the laptop was actually sold to somebody and returned, or if it just perhaps got opened at some point. Lenovos used to come with a link to register the unit with Lenovo and start the warranty.
I have no idea if Costco has some way of communicating the date of sale to Lenovo; otherwise, Lenovo, Apple, etc usually make an educated guess based on when the unit was shipped.