Ring for a new girlfriend

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pomegranate

Ring for a new girlfriend

Post by Pomegranate »

I started to date a new girlfriend (mid 30s) in the beginning of the year. Looking to buy her a nice looking ring (it's not for engagement/wedding) but I have 0 clue what brands are popular now. Do people shop online for such stuff nowadays? Budget wise $1000-1500 I guess :annoyed
EnjoyIt

Re: Ring for a new girlfriend

Post by EnjoyIt »

Pomegranate wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm I started to date a new girlfriend (mid 30s) in the beginning of the year. Looking to buy her a nice looking ring (it's not for engagement/wedding) but I have 0 clue what brands are popular now. Do people shop online for such stuff nowadays? Budget wise $1000-1500 I guess :annoyed
Can’t go wrong with overpaying for anything from tiffanies.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
runner540

Post by runner540 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:24 pm
Pomegranate wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm I started to date a new girlfriend (mid 30s) in the beginning of the year. Looking to buy her a nice looking ring (it's not for engagement/wedding) but I have 0 clue what brands are popular now. Do people shop online for such stuff nowadays? Budget wise $1000-1500 I guess :annoyed
$1000 wont get much from Tiffany. Suggest Blue Nile or Brilliant Earth, or a local non chain jeweler

Edit: there are some branded metal ring designs at that price point, but if you want gemstones better off somewhere else. All depends what she would want and wear.
Last edited by runner540 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Can tell you from experience that giving rings as non-engagement gifts is a dangerous activity. Maybe a necklace, earrings, or bracelet would do?
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I feel like getting her a non-engagement ring is odd. I'd probably go with a necklace or bracelet instead, but that's just me.

Most of the jewelry i have gotten for my wife has been through Brilliant Earth. She seems happy with it.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

https://www.davidyurman.com/

I’d encourage you to do a bracelet, necklace or earrings. Ring seems like a big leap and could lead to an accidental assumption at the opening of the gift.

FYI. I gave DY bracelet to my girlfriend when we were dating (about 6 months in). We are now married with two kids. Be careful!
Last edited by BUBear29 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Have you given a non-engagement ring to a gf before? How did it go? I'm genuinely curious.
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

BUBear29 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:31 pm https://www.davidyurman.com/
I was going to post the exact same thing and then I read your post.

OP, avoid a ring for now. Get something else, anything else, but a ring at this stage.
Godot

Post by Godot »

Toe ring might be better and carry fewer implications, in U.S., anyway.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
baxterbones

Post by baxterbones »

MotoTrojan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:28 pm Can tell you from experience that giving rings as non-engagement gifts is a dangerous activity. Maybe a necklace, earrings, or bracelet would do?
OP, this here.

9-10 months is not out of the realm of engagement ring territory for dating in your 30s especially if things are going well or you live together.

Highly recommend anything other than a ring.

My wife loves Kendra Scott, and it's not too pricey. It's pretty popular, I always notice the same necklace I bought my wife on women on tv and in real life.

It's this style:

https://www.kendrascott.com/jewelry/cat ... s#start=15

I'd get her a necklace and earring combo and a nice dinner
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

What does she like? What brands are her current rings? Is she trendy or would she prefer something more personal rather than trendy?
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

MotoTrojan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:28 pm Can tell you from experience that giving rings as non-engagement gifts is a dangerous activity. Maybe a necklace, earrings, or bracelet would do?
This.

Give her a bracelet or earrings.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

baxterbones wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:35 pm
OP, this here.

9-10 months is not out of the realm of engagement ring territory for dating in your 30s especially if things are going well or you live together.

Highly recommend anything other than a ring.

My wife loves Kendra Scott, and it's not too pricey. It's pretty popular, I always notice the same necklace I bought my wife on women on tv and in real life.

It's this style:

https://www.kendrascott.com/jewelry/cat ... s#start=15

I'd get her a necklace and earring combo and a nice dinner
This price range looks solid. If you get her something reasonable and she flips out, I think I would get a new girlfriend.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

If she is a ring person, using different rings as accessories with different clothing, this is a fine idea. But you need to consider the presentation of the ring.

I think it is OK to give her a ring, but present it some way other than a ring box. I'm female. If a boyfriend since the beginning of the year presented me with a ring box, I would be very uncomfortable. It would be awkward as heck.

Unless you two are exactly on the same page, a ring box will cause terror or great hope about to be dashed. Doesn't sound like either of those is what you are trying to do.

Put it on a scarf. Put it on a pretzel. Hang it off a wine bottle. Anything but a ring box.

Good luck!
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Vintage jewelry stores have unique and beautiful art objects. Necklaces, bracelets, brooches, etc. all very one of a kind. You could make a great statement without buying a ring.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Another no vote on the ring.

The unintended inference may well be a thing but additionally I'm personally not a fan of getting anything expensive for a partner that isn't discussed prior.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Black Hills Gold. Always in style. At least in the 80s it was. :confused
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

What rings are $1500 at Tiffany’s?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
squirm

Post by squirm »

My wife and I shopped for her rings together. It's a more fun shopping together. She wanted to make sure I was happy with what she liked. It works out better that way, otherwise you'll probably get her something she's not 100% happy with but pretends she is.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

runner540 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:27 pm$1000 won't get much from Tiffany. Suggest Blue Nile or Brilliant Earth, or a local non chain jeweler
runner540:

Your post reminds me of a similar time shortly after being drafted for WWII in 1941. I wanted to buy my girlfriend a ring. I knew that an emerald represented her birthday. I was in New York and looking in the store windows in Times-Square for green emerald rings. There were lots of them at a low price I could afford.

I had heard about TIffany so I went to 5th avenue and visited their store. I asked the well-dressed salesman to see their emerald rings. I was in my new Army uniform. The salesman looked at me and asked how much I could afford to pay? I remember saying, "up to $50."

Instead of laughing,* the salesman told me that "real" emeralds (not glass) are much more than $50. He suggest a small opal ring which I bought and gave to Barbara (she married another guy).

* I will never forget his kindness.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The great game of life is not about money; it is about doing your best to join the battle to build anew ourselves, our communities, our nation, and our world."
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 pm
There are 96 options in the OP's price range. Some subset of that is wedding bands, but there are a lot of options.
Last edited by sailaway on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sport

Post by sport »

Perhaps surprisingly, Costco.com has some very nice jewelry. There is a wide range of prices up to very expensive.
Here are some examples https://www.costco.com/gold-bracelets.html
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Don’t do it.

And don’t do the engagement ring until you’re ready to start planning the wedding.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

If you and her are both Apple users and don’t have the Apple Watch, how about “His and Hers Apple Watch”?
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I think necklace or earrings are less likely to put her down the other thought track.

IMHO, rings have the potential for too much backlash as no good deed goes unpunished. As many women does, she either overthinks it and goes head over heels for you or overthinks it and thinks you're rushing things.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I dont think brand is very important to the average person when it comes to jewlery. Style is most important and you know your GF better than us. My wife liked her large 18 carat emerald cut amethyst ring until a tweaker robbed our house. Something like that is clearly a fashion ring and cant be confused for an engagement ring.

$1500 can also buy a nice pearl strand which is timeless.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner540

Post by runner540 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:13 pm
runner540 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:27 pm$1000 won't get much from Tiffany. Suggest Blue Nile or Brilliant Earth, or a local non chain jeweler
runner540:

Your post reminds me of a similar time shortly after being drafted for WWII in 1941. I wanted to buy my girlfriend a ring. I knew that an emerald represented her birthday. I was in New York and looking in the store windows in Times-Square for green emerald rings. There were lots of them at a low price I could afford.

I had heard about TIffany so I went to 5th avenue and visited their store. I asked the well-dressed salesman to see their emerald rings. I was in my new Army uniform. The salesman looked at me and asked how much I could afford to pay? I remember saying, "up to $50."

Instead of laughing,* the salesman told me that "real" emeralds (not glass) are much more than $50. He suggest a small opal ring which I bought and gave to Barbara (she married another guy).

* I will never forget his kindness.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The great game of life is not about money; it is about doing your best to join the battle to build anew ourselves, our communities, our nation, and our world."
Taylor, what a great story. Thank you for fighting fascism and for our country in WWII.
I’m thrilled I got a reply from the great Taylor Larimore. I’m a woman who likes to choose my own jewelry but have never been willing to pay for the Tiffany brand. I hope Barbara appreciated it!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I guess this depends on income but I couldn’t imagine giving a gift like that. Seems to set expectations pretty high for holidays, etc. instead I try to treat the person nicely, have a good meal, etc. obviously I live a different lifestyle.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

I would go for a necklace and you won't have to worry about the size. Story: When I was dating my former husband he bought me a ring around the two year mark. He kept insisting that it was just a ring and not an engagement ring. We were married six months later. At the twenty year mark he bought me a fabulous ring insisting it was the "engagement ring" that he never bought for me.

Be very careful :shock:
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

If you are looking to surprise her, then yeah, tread carefully with a ring if you haven't already broached the subject of getting engaged and set clear expectations around that, otherwise any ring could trigger conversations you may not be ready to have.

If you aren't looking for a surprise and instead want to have the fun of taking her out shopping for jewelry, then give her a budget and let her pick out whatever she wants, ring, necklace, tongue piercing, chainmail arm band, whatever.

Shopping together can be very fun and help you learn her taste. Plus spending a significant amount together can be a bonding experience that can also open the door to more financial discussions in the future as well.

It all depends on what kind of experience you are looking to create.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 pm
250 of them are $1,500 or less --- https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/shop/ri ... ce-0-1500/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

Yeah I checked the websites mentioned here... Tiffanies is more expensive but way more stylish. A lot of options to consider <$2000 - I feel ok to bump the budget based on what I saw
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Tiffany's - yes
ring - no way
Point

Post by Point »

A necklace from Blue Nile would be nice. If she balks that it's not from Tiffanys, then that's a signal...
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Absolutely bad idea on a ring. I think there is only downside for you in purchasing any kind of ring except engagement ring when the time is right. Maybe necklace or earrings but not too extravagant. You will have plenty of time for fancy expensive gifts later is this person is a match for a long term relationship.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Pomegranate wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:15 pm
Yeah I checked the websites mentioned here... Tiffanies is more expensive but way more stylish. A lot of options to consider <$2000 - I feel ok to bump the budget based on what I saw
You give her that little blue bag and I think she’ll be happy but save the “ring” for another time. Get an Elsa Perretti silver necklace. Stylish and no miscommunication of intentions.

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/shop/ne ... ng-silver/

Tasteful yet not going to break the bank. Save the coin for the “ring” down the road.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Cut your price target by a third and then go to Costco.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Rings are for some things, even the lst half glance at a "ring" has a certain anticipation.

Opal pendant necklace?

Price and brand name (status) matters not. At this stage, it's the thought.
Include a dozen of favorite flowers and a really corny or sappy card.

Don't go overboard. Scares away the fish. :shock:
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

Idea... Ask your gf to recommend one of her friends to help you shop for a gift. As someone else mentioned, maybe tell her "Don't worry - it's not an engagement ring..."

Then take that friend to the "Jewelry Mart." Most big cities. Two of the Jewelry Marts I've been to were predominantly filled with shops run by people of Armenian Jewish descent; so there's sort of a cultural environment.

The ones I've been to were reputable and had quality merchandise and willing to negotiate.

https://sfgcjm.com/

https://jewelerscenter.com/jewelers/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... ngkok.html
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:28 pm Cut your price target by a third and then go to Costco.
I'd say do even better with some CZ. Some pieces look just as nice as diamond for 10% the cost.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

bracelet is a good way to go at this point in your relationship.

something like this:

https://www.bluenile.com/sterling-silve ... acelet_723
Last edited by cashboy on Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
sport

Post by sport »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:28 pm Cut your price target by a third and then go to Costco.
Don't underestimate what you can find at Costco. https://www.costco.com/round-brilliant- ... 92371.html
egrets

Post by egrets »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:00 pm
If she is a ring person, using different rings as accessories with different clothing, this is a fine idea. But you need to consider the presentation of the ring.

I think it is OK to give her a ring, but present it some way other than a ring box. I'm female. If a boyfriend since the beginning of the year presented me with a ring box, I would be very uncomfortable. It would be awkward as heck.

Unless you two are exactly on the same page, a ring box will cause terror or great hope about to be dashed. Doesn't sound like either of those is what you are trying to do.

Put it on a scarf. Put it on a pretzel. Hang it off a wine bottle. Anything but a ring box.

Good luck!
I don't think that's going to help. Don't get a ring. Also, I may be old fashioned, but a gift of jewelry to a woman you're not engaged or married to is not quite the thing. Makes her look like a gold digger or no better than she should be.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Female here, and one who does happen to enjoy jewelry.
(But I prefer something that *I* like, which is not necessarily what is "trendy", etc.)

Do you have any idea what style of jewelry she likes?

How about shopping together, as suggested above, for a bracelet or necklace.
Or perhaps go in advance to a jeweler (Tiffany is probably extra nice for most, but not necesarily!), and mention the price range and *maximum* (or it can creeeeep up), or have a few choices waiting.

And NO NO NO, do not get her a ring at this stage.
If she even vaguely suspects it *might* be an engagement ring when she realizes it is a ring, she will probably either be seriously annoyed or totally disappointed shortly. And worse, IF she were to mumble little nothings before opening it, assuming it is an engagement ring, that type of mortification will be hard to overcome.

If not Tiffany, then a David Yurman bracelet would be nice as there are many different looks. Again, go shopping together, have fun, and tell a sales person in advance the range and limit.
You'll be able to get fancy in at least one way (solid gold or a couple of larger semi-precious stones, and she may have a favorite color, or tiny diamonds if that's her preference).

Both Tiffany and David Yurman assume that "name" means something to her. I don't care if this is "Bogleheads". Sometimes the name of something or a very special, characteristic look, matters. That is okay.
(What is *not* okay is if someone gets upset that "not enough is being spent". That is totally different. If someone prefers a tiny diamond to a huge CZ, that's a valid choice for *that* person!)

Did I mentiong, "no ring"?
Not now.

Make sure this is a *good* thing, and doesn't become terribly awkward (or worse).
Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
humbledinvestor

Post by humbledinvestor »

I am a fan of these:

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/bracele ... -GRP03577/

https://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/bracele ... -GRP01430/

Agree with everyone here. No ring!

These two bracelets are in a very good price range. $175-375. Spend the rest on a mini-trip, good food.
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

What's the occasion, if you don't mind revealing? Seems like you might be setting the bar too high too soon for yourself :P.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:00 pm ...Unless you two are exactly on the same page, a ring box will cause terror or great hope about to be dashed. Doesn't sound like either of those is what you are trying to do...
I gave a ring to DW #1 when we were dating, and she acted like she thought I was proposing. (That came later.) After I explained it was only a present she calmed down, but she still really liked it anyway.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

boogiehead wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:36 pm What's the occasion, if you don't mind revealing? Seems like you might be setting the bar too high too soon for yourself :P.
Agreed. Setting yourself up for failure unless this is a shallow relationship (nothing against some transactional lovin’).
Watty

Post by Watty »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:35 pm Don't go overboard. Scares away the fish.
+1

And it sort of creates the expectation that she will spend a similar amount on a gift for you.

If this early planning for something like Christmas then she may have already bought you a much less expensive gift for you and that could also be more than a little awkward.

If this is for a Christmas gift then you might consider talking with her about Christmas gifts and maybe set an approximate dollar amount. Being able to talk about things like this is a type of intimacy that might help the relationship develop.