Chase Freedom to Freedom Unlimited on Credit history

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtmingus

Chase Freedom to Freedom Unlimited on Credit history

Post by mtmingus »

Have you guys recently moved from Chase Freedom Visa to the Unlimited Visa?

I heard that they are deactivating the old Freedom cards and recommend customers to either Unlimited or Flex.
My concern is, we have had the Freedom card for many many years and it's a big contributor to my credit history.
If we convert the Freedom card to the Unlimited, do we loss the credit history?
DrGrnTum

Re: Chase Freedom to Freedom Unlimited on Credit history

Post by DrGrnTum »

mtmingus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 am Have you guys recently moved from Chase Freedom Visa to the Unlimited Visa?

I heard that they are deactivating the old Freedom cards and recommend customers to either Unlimited or Flex.
My concern is, we have had the Freedom card for many many years and it's a big contributor to my credit history.
Here is a couple of write ups on the subject.
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... hase-card/

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/c ... downgrade/
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

mtmingus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 am I heard that they are deactivating the old Freedom cards and recommend customers to either Unlimited or Flex.
Is this true? If so, bummer. However, they can deactivate, not worth any effort to spend and time or effort for them to keep me as a customer. DiscoverIT has similar 5% categories anyways, more or less a duplication.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:00 am
mtmingus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 am I heard that they are deactivating the old Freedom cards and recommend customers to either Unlimited or Flex.
Is this true? If so, bummer. However, they can deactivate, not worth any effort to spend and time or effort for them to keep me as a customer. DiscoverIT has similar 5% categories anyways, more or less a duplication.
Probably not deactivating, but stop offering to new customers. You may still keep it but they recommend switching to the Unlimited or Flex.
drk

Post by drk »

mtmingus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:03 am Probably not deactivating, but stop offering to new customers. You may still keep it but they recommend switching to the Unlimited or Flex.
Based on past migrations (e.g., Marriott Bonvoy), that means that at some point in the next two years Chase will offer 10k UR points or something to get Freedom stalwarts to product change. I'm holding onto mine.
mtmingus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 am My concern is, we have had the Freedom card for many many years and it's a big contributor to my credit history.
No, absolutely not.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

They'll let people keep the freedom who already have it. But there is really no reason not to switch. The new Freedom Flex offers the same 5% rotating categories but adds on a permanent 3% dining category and a 3% drugstore category.

In addition, it is a Mastercard World Elite card which provides complimentary cell phone insurance provided you pay your bill with it each month.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

OnceARunner wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:12 am
But there is really no reason not to switch. The new Freedom Flex offers the same 5% rotating categories but adds on a permanent 3% dining category and a 3% drugstore category.

In addition, it is a Mastercard World Elite card which provides complimentary cell phone insurance provided you pay your bill with it each month.
No advantage for us. We don't visit drugstores and we don't dine out or go to restaurants (unless given gift cards).

Thanks for the info!
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

drk wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:08 am
mtmingus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:03 am Probably not deactivating, but stop offering to new customers. You may still keep it but they recommend switching to the Unlimited or Flex.
Based on past migrations (e.g., Marriott Bonvoy), that means that at some point in the next two years Chase will offer 10k UR points or something to get Freedom stalwarts to product change. I'm holding onto mine.
mtmingus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 am My concern is, we have had the Freedom card for many many years and it's a big contributor to my credit history.
No, absolutely not.
Excellent, I will hold off and hope they provide incentive for us to change :)
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

I don't think they are discontinuing the Freedom card. No new applicants, but those of you that have it can continue.

You can also contact Chase and ask to upgrade to one of the two new Freedom cards. According to Nerdwallet, "Chase will continue to report your credit history and age of credit should not change."
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

GlennK wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:27 am I don't think they are discontinuing the Freedom card. No new applicants, but those of you that have it can continue.

You can also contact Chase and ask to upgrade to one of the two new Freedom cards. According to Nerdwallet, "Chase will continue to report your credit history and age of credit should not change."
We're in the middle of a new mortgage process, so I think I'll hold off until a month after closing or so. I hope it wouldn't show up as "new" credit if I product change, but probably not worth the risk if it does show up as a hard inquiry.
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

No problems. Ive had a Chase Slate credit card for years. It's no longer offered and Chase has tried to get me to change to a newer card for some time.
kirkus02

Post by kirkus02 »

As people have said above, Freedom is closed to new applications. From what the initial reports said, Chase was not going to allow people to apply or have multiple Freedom Flex cards. So, one strategy is to keep the vanilla Freedom to be able to have a 2nd (or more) card with the 5% rotating categories if one is able to capitalize on those categories beyond the $1,500 limit per quarter.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The Freedom credit card at Chase is like the old mutual fund platform at Vanguard. If you're new, you can't get it, but if you already have it, you can keep it.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

If I have the sapphire preferred, the original freedom and freedom unlimited already, it sounds like the freedom flex provides me no additional benefit. Am I missing anything?
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 pm If I have the sapphire preferred, the original freedom and freedom unlimited already, it sounds like the freedom flex provides me no additional benefit. Am I missing anything?
It's just the best Freedom card in the 3 card tier, CSP is in the next tier up. The only reason to change the base Freedom to Flex is:

5x on Groceries for the first year
3x on dining and take out
3x on drugstores.
5x rotating quarterly bonuses

which you can move the points to the CSP for better points.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

brad.clarkston wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:56 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 pm If I have the sapphire preferred, the original freedom and freedom unlimited already, it sounds like the freedom flex provides me no additional benefit. Am I missing anything?
It's just the best Freedom card in the 3 card tier, CSP is in the next tier up. The only reason to change the base Freedom to Flex is:

3x on drugstores.

But if I have the original freedom and freedom unlimited already, I get all those things between my existing cards (aside from the sign up bonus). Or am I missing something?
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

I have Sapphire Preferred with annual renewal fees coming up. Should I now switch to Freedom Unlimited or Flex with these new benefits? I think the only thing I lose is the 1.5x point multiplier. Am I missing anything?

Or should I keep Sapphire and add one of the Freedoms with bonus? I dont really need another card. What would the experts do?
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:02 pm

3x on drugstores.

But if I have the original freedom and freedom unlimited already, I get all those things between my existing cards (aside from the sign up bonus). Or am I missing something?
Nope the original Freedom is going away so it will be Unlimited and Flex (2nd tier no AF but foreign transaction fee). The Unlimited is close enough that it doesn't matter to much unless your a churner. I had my original Freedom switched over to Flex but I never got the Unlimited so that made since as I'm not a churner.

The MasterCard perk is nice if you don't already have cell phone insurance on a different card but the CSP and CSR are in the "Preferred Tier" with better perks.

the full Flex perks:

~~

No Annual Fee
5x on Bonus Quarterly Categories – each quarter members can activate a 5x category bonus on purchases up to $1500 per quarter on the selected categories
5x on Grocery Store purchases for 12 months – capped at $12k and excludes Target and WalMart
5x on Travel purchased through Chase Travel
3x on Dining including take out/eligible delivery services.
3x on Drugstore
1x unlimited cash back on all other purchases.
0% interest for 15 month on new purchases

In addition to all of those…you’ll get World Elite Mastercard benefits, including

Mobile Phone Insurance – Up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year on mobile phone protection theft and damage on users listed on the phone bill paid by the cardholder
Lyft – $10 in credit for every five rides taken in a calendar month
This gets applied to the next ride
1x per month
ShopRunner – free membership
2 day shipping at over 100 stores
Fandango – 2x VIP+ points on movie tickets bought on the Fandango app or Fandango.com
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

BlackcatCA wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 pm I have Sapphire Preferred with annual renewal fees coming up. Should I now switch to Freedom Unlimited or Flex with these new benefits? I think the only thing I lose is the 1.5x point multiplier. Am I missing anything?

Or should I keep Sapphire and add one of the Freedoms with bonus? I dont really need another card. What would the experts do?
If your not a churner and do not need the card I would say no.

But the reason to get the Flex would be to use it for the 5x and 3x categories up to it's limits and then switch back to the CSP. Once a year you would transfer the Flex points to the CSP as that gives you better points buying power.

For the average non-churner like me having a Flex and a Preferred Tier card (CSP/CSR) is the best overall Chase option to maximize the points. The only other daily driver card I use is the Amex Blue Cash for the x6 groceries and online subscriptions (netflix/hbo max/etc) and now the 3x gas since my poor Ducks Unlimited card bit the dirt.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

brad.clarkston wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:12 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:02 pm

3x on drugstores.

Nope the original Freedom is going away so it will be Unlimited and Flex (2nd tier no AF but foreign transaction fee). The Unlimited is close enough that it doesn't matter to much unless your a churner. I had my original Freedom switched over to Flex but I never got the Unlimited so that made since as I'm not a churner.

The MasterCard perk is nice if you don't already have cell phone insurance on a different card but the CSP and CSR are in the "Preferred Tier" with better perks.

the full Flex perks:

~~

No Annual Fee
5x on Bonus Quarterly Categories – each quarter members can activate a 5x category bonus on purchases up to $1500 per quarter on the selected categories
5x on Grocery Store purchases for 12 months – capped at $12k and excludes Target and WalMart
5x on Travel purchased through Chase Travel
3x on Dining including take out/eligible delivery services.
3x on Drugstore
1x unlimited cash back on all other purchases.
0% interest for 15 month on new purchases

In addition to all of those…you’ll get World Elite Mastercard benefits, including

Mobile Phone Insurance – Up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year on mobile phone protection theft and damage on users listed on the phone bill paid by the cardholder
Lyft – $10 in credit for every five rides taken in a calendar month
This gets applied to the next ride
1x per month
ShopRunner – free membership
2 day shipping at over 100 stores
Fandango – 2x VIP+ points on movie tickets bought on the Fandango app or Fandango.com
The cell phone insurance might be nice. I have the original Freedom already. How did you go about converting? Phone call? Secure message?

I got the freedom unlimited for the bonus, but also to get 1.5% cash back on purchases. I use it for my utility bills, cell phones and internet, so that extra 0.5% can add up over time.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 pm
The cell phone insurance might be nice. I have the original Freedom already. How did you go about converting? Phone call? Secure message?

I got the freedom unlimited for the bonus, but also to get 1.5% cash back on purchases. I use it for my utility bills, cell phones and internet, so that extra 0.5% can add up over time.

You have to call and go through the "is it really you" process. Once that's done it's pretty simple they just do it and mail you a new card.
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

If you're a current Freedom cardholder, my understanding is you can either apply for the Flex or do a product change to Flex. The former would entitle you to the $200 bonus but will require a hard credit inquiry. The latter would take the existing credit line and move it to Flex; no bonus will be provided.

I was planning to just to the product change as I'd prefer to keep the inquiry off my credit. What are other Freedom cardholders doing?
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

brad.clarkston wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:21 pm
BlackcatCA wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 pm I have Sapphire Preferred with annual renewal fees coming up. Should I now switch to Freedom Unlimited or Flex with these new benefits? I think the only thing I lose is the 1.5x point multiplier. Am I missing anything?

But the reason to get the Flex would be to use it for the 5x and 3x categories up to it's limits and then switch back to the CSP. Once a year you would transfer the Flex points to the CSP as that gives you better points buying power.

For the average non-churner like me having a Flex and a Preferred Tier card (CSP/CSR) is the best overall Chase option to maximize the points. The only other daily driver card I use is the Amex Blue Cash for the x6 groceries and online subscriptions (netflix/hbo max/etc) and now the 3x gas since my poor Ducks Unlimited card bit the dirt.
Not a churner so leaning towards switching to one of the Freedoms for now. The only thing is to spend down UR points, unless I can keep them?

If say next year when travel can resume, I’d imagine I can apply a CSP/R then to cover travel then. Would Chase block me from applying for CSP/R in a few months?
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

BlackcatCA wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:23 pm

Not a churner so leaning towards switching to one of the Freedoms for now. The only thing is to spend down UR points, unless I can keep them?

If say next year when travel can resume, I’d imagine I can apply a CSP/R then to cover travel then. Would Chase block me from applying for CSP/R in a few months?
If it was me I would keep the CSP and apply for the Flex it's just easier as I wouldn't want the double bump in Fico or hitting the 5/24 as that also includes closing accounts now.

On opening new cards with Chase it depends on there 5/24 rule "you cannot have opened five or more personal credit cards across all banks in the last 24 months" exuding business cards.
tj

Post by tj »

brad.clarkston wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 pm

You have to call and go through the "is it really you" process. Once that's done it's pretty simple they just do it and mail you a new card.
Did you receive the card? They showed the new account number on the website right away, but I haven't received it yet. I called on 9/13, which I think was the first day you could.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I have the CSR and it is getting a bit stale compared to the latest offerings from Chase. Still use it as my everyday driver though. Looking into hotel credit cards. Might get the CFF later.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

tj wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:33 pm
Did you receive the card? They showed the new account number on the website right away, but I haven't received it yet. I called on 9/13, which I think was the first day you could.
Nope I haven't gotten it yet probably Monday/Tuesday but it is active on my account.
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

brad.clarkston wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 pm

If it was me I would keep the CSP and apply for the Flex it's just easier as I wouldn't want the double bump in Fico or hitting the 5/24 as that also includes closing accounts now.

On opening new cards with Chase it depends on there 5/24 rule "you cannot have opened five or more personal credit cards across all banks in the last 24 months" exuding business cards.
Why would there be a double hit on FICO? Does switching card “downward” from CSP to Freedom involve a credit check?

And closing a card counts as a 5/24 event? I thought only opening cards count.

Maybe I should just stick with CSP. I haven't used it since travel stopped and kind of hate paying $95 for nothing. Been trading UR points for grocery, thats it. I get the other benefits (restaurants 5% back) with BofA cash back card.

The only question is if I can get CSP/R back (with bonus) when travel resumes, whenever that is.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

BlackcatCA wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 pm
brad.clarkston wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 pm

Why would there be a double hit on FICO? Does switching card “downward” from CSP to Freedom involve a credit check?

And closing a card counts as a 5/24 event? I thought only opening cards count.

Maybe I should just stick with CSP. I haven't used it since travel stopped and kind of hate paying $95 for nothing. Been trading UR points for grocery, thats it. I get the other benefits (restaurants 5% back) with BofA cash back card.

The only question is if I can get CSP/R back (with bonus) when travel resumes, whenever that is.
I was talking about closing the CSP and then opening a new Flex (the double bump) if you just convert it nothing happens.
I would keep the CSP and open a Flex for the single bump if it was me. A single new account won't impact much, multiples do.

Constantly closing cards can effect the 5/24. They look at everything now so if a churner opens a new miles card, gets the bonus then closes it before the first AF hit's they count that into the 5/24 if they do that multiple times. You can get away with it once easily, twice maybe but then Chase gets mean.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Do you get to keep your Chase UR pts from your original Freedom card, did they automatically transfer over to your new Freedom Flex? Or did you have to first transfer them to another Chase card?
tj

Post by tj »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:17 am

Do you get to keep your Chase UR pts from your original Freedom card, did they automatically transfer over to your new Freedom Flex? Or did you have to first transfer them to another Chase card?
I don't know why you would lose points. That was not one of the disclosures they read.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:17 am

You keep them.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Just applied for this card online (already have both other Freedom variants). My other cards with Chase have around $50K credit limit combined, and on the Flex Chase approved me for $500! Thankfully it was easy to call in and have them move credit limits around so I have more on the Flex.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

02nz wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:56 pm Just applied for this card online (already have both other Freedom variants). My other cards with Chase have around $50K credit limit combined, and on the Flex Chase approved me for $500! Thankfully it was easy to call in and have them move credit limits around so I have more on the Flex.
You can use secure message to reallocate credit limits. Usually takes 24 hours or so.