Good example of why I despise SiriusXM

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eye.surgeon

Good example of why I despise SiriusXM

Post by eye.surgeon »

I finally managed to convince my wife that she doesn't need SiriusXM in her vehicle any more, with apple carplay and various streaming services and podcasts both free and subscription. Not only is the sound quality of the music terrible due to them wanting to provide 1,000 different channels all of which sound worse than AM radio, but the games I have to play prior to every year's automatic subscription renewal calling in to ask for a lower price instead of the laughable $240+ dollars a year have gotten very old.

True to form, you can enroll and manage your account online except of course if you want to cancel. Then you have to call or chat with an agent who proceeded to hard sell me multiple times before finally cancelling my account. Free at last! Here's the transcript of the chat if you want to shake your head...

Gelo: why are you cancelling?
RODNEY (23:59:23 GMT) : poor sound quality of music. signal is way too compressed.
Gelo (23:59:38 GMT) : Thank you for your patience! My name is Gelo and I'm here to help you now.
RODNEY (23:59:48 GMT) : please cancel my account
Gelo (00:00:10 GMT) : Regardless of that issue, how do you find the service so far?
RODNEY (00:00:21 GMT) : please just cancel my service, thank you
Gelo (00:00:36 GMT) : I can definitely assist you with that.
Gelo (00:00:42 GMT) : I would really appreciate if you can share a bit information about your decision to cancel or your feedback on the service. Thank you.
RODNEY (00:00:54 GMT) : also you should be able to cancel the account online.
RODNEY (00:01:11 GMT) : please just cancel my service, thank you
Gelo (00:01:28 GMT) : That's a very good feedback coming from you. That is one way for us to improve our service more. We'll definitely take note of that.
Gelo (00:01:37 GMT) : Have you tried to listen online using your smart phone, tablet, computer, or any smart speaker that uses Alexa or Google?
RODNEY (00:01:45 GMT) : please just cancel my service, thank you
Gelo (00:03:21 GMT) : I understand that you want to cancel the service because of that issue, how about this then. As a valued customer, just a way of extending our appreciation and for you to re-evaluate our service, you can take this as a gift from SiriusXM. I can extend your service for 3 months for only $2 on our All Access package. It comes with free streaming and XXX extra channels.

Gelo (00:03:39 GMT) : This plan automatically renews at the current rate unless you contact us to cancel which you can do at any time.
RODNEY (00:03:41 GMT) : please just cancel my service, thank you
Gelo (00:03:43 GMT) : With this promo, there is nothing to pay today and you are covered for the entire 3 months. We will even refund you $13.04 back to your card today. So let's get this promo started for you alright?
RODNEY (00:03:59 GMT) : please just cancel my service, thank you
Gelo (00:04:26 GMT) : I respect your decision and thank you for taking the time to give us a chance to provide what we have available for you. I’m processing the cancellation now.
RODNEY (00:04:41 GMT) : thank you
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
windaar

Re: Good example of why I despise SiriusXM

Post by windaar »

I feel for Gelo a little bit because tons of SiriusXM customers call in a fake cancel call just to be offered a better deal. That has been shared on this board many times, and I have done it as well. "I want to cancel" really means "can you give me a deal." So he was playing the game and at least you were polite because Gelo isn't making much money for a lousy job!
Nobody knows nothing.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I think the last time I did this, I was actually fishing for a better price, got the price, and then she kept trying to sell me things.

I finally said, “is there anything else left except you trying to sell me things?”

Her: “No.”
Me: “Okay, we’re done then, right?”

So then she jumped ahead in the script.
Her: “I’ve processed your....”
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
cogito

Post by cogito »

windaar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 pm I feel for Gelo a little bit because tons of SiriusXM customers call in a fake cancel call just to be offered a better deal. That has been shared on this board many times, and I have done it as well. "I want to cancel" really means "can you give me a deal." So he was playing the game and at least you were polite because Gelo isn't making much money for a lousy job!
That's actually probably just another reason to despise SiriusXM (and other companies with similar procedures). Sirius not only makes their customers play this game but enlists a whole department of people to sit at computers and play the game too. The sooner this business model dies with subscription companies the better. Just tell me how much my dang internet is going to cost!
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic is locked (non-actionable rant).