Is this guy trying to scam me on a car I'm selling?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atikovi

Re: Is this guy trying to scam me on a car I'm selling?

Post by atikovi »

Latest messages.

From #1

Sent: Thu, Sep 17, 2020 3:26 pm
Subject: Re: 2008 DB C300 Sport

Mission accomplished, I have the funds, as you wanted. Left Frederick at 0600, walked up to the bank door at 0905. Back in the car at 0940, arrived at work 1330. 6 hrs in the car was exhausting, although fruitful. Let me know about the weekend, as I stated, working Saturday until 1300, then straight to Glen Burnie. Have a nice evening.

Mike

From #2

Thanks. Can you meet at Bank of America 10000 Falls Road, Potomac Saturday at 10am?
sad2

Post by sad2 »

Not sure if either is a scammer, but with the above update, and if it was me, I would cease all communications with #1. My money would be on a scammer. Who volunteers all the gory details of finance acquisition? You either have the funds or you do not. Details are unnecessary.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:36 pm Latest messages.

From #1

Sent: Thu, Sep 17, 2020 3:26 pm
Subject: Re: 2008 DB C300 Sport

Mission accomplished, I have the funds, as you wanted. Left Frederick at 0600, walked up to the bank door at 0905. Back in the car at 0940, arrived at work 1330. 6 hrs in the car was exhausting, although fruitful. Let me know about the weekend, as I stated, working Saturday until 1300, then straight to Glen Burnie. Have a nice evening.

Mike

From #2

Thanks. Can you meet at Bank of America 10000 Falls Road, Potomac Saturday at 10am?

Tell buyer you'll be happy to meet him in the lobby of the Potomac police precinct. Then bring a book as he isn't coming.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

Post by 000 »

sad2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 pm Not sure if either is a scammer, but with the above update, and if it was me, I would cease all communications with #1. My money would be on a scammer. Who volunteers all the gory details of finance acquisition? You either have the funds or you do not. Details are unnecessary.
I tend to agree. It sounds like a civilian trying a little too hard to imitate "military talk".
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Some more.

Agreed. As I am unaware of where I am going, I have only one request. My friend who will be giving me a ride, is a fanatical Ravens fan. Evidently, they play at 1600 on Sunday. That being said, a late afternoon timing would not fare well for me. As I stated before, he lives on the water in Pasadena, that is where we will be departing from. Please keep that in mind as you determine the time and place to meet. Thank you for your consideration, it is greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike
stats99

Post by stats99 »

This is so exciting, I can’t wait to find out what happens!
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

I’m now thinking #1 is just some bored person and this is how he entertains himself.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

makingmistakes wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:58 pm I’m now thinking #1 is just some bored person and this is how he entertains himself.
Or a total freak.

Too freaky to be a scammer though.
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

Bobby206 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:27 pm
makingmistakes wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:58 pm I’m now thinking #1 is just some bored person and this is how he entertains himself.
Or a total freak.

Too freaky to be a scammer though.
I'm still on the fence about #1 being a scammer. Definitely some odd stuff going on, but I've known folks who write like that, and others who routinely overshare at the drop of a hat, even when told not to, even stuff that I would never even think of telling someone else. I think there is a modest, but growing, possibility that OP will end up with two bona fide buyers driving a ways to throw cash at him.
Mako

Post by Mako »

atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 pm Some more.

Agreed. As I am unaware of where I am going, I have only one request. My friend who will be giving me a ride, is a fanatical Ravens fan. Evidently, they play at 1600 on Sunday. That being said, a late afternoon timing would not fare well for me. As I stated before, he lives on the water in Pasadena, that is where we will be departing from. Please keep that in mind as you determine the time and place to meet. Thank you for your consideration, it is greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike
Well, I have to agree that the Ravens play at 4:15 and I’d hate to have to watch Lamar Jackson anything but live, he’s been basically the most exciting QB in the league to watch. That’s not your problem though and can surely be avoided.
renter

Post by renter »

Next time consider answering bizarre emails from scammy buyers in the style of the Munchkin Man.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

drk wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:34 pm Absolutely bizarre language for Mike the Construction Manager.
My thoughts exactly. For this and the other reasons people noted, this screams, "SCAM!"

From the language, I suspect it's someone overseas.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

Just out of curiosity, what price would you get if you just went to your local car dealer and sold it to the dealer?
All this time, risk, aggravation is gaining you how much over the zero risk amount?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
depressed

Post by depressed »

I've put my Cagney and Lacey binge watching on hold just to read this thread.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

beernutz wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:50 pm Tell buyer you'll be happy to meet him in the lobby of the Potomac police precinct. Then bring a book as he isn't coming.
Best advice so far.

Better yet, tell him that you will be bringing a friend to whatever location he wants. Just let him know in advance not to be alarmed as your friend is a uniformed police officer who will be on duty. The plus side is that it will be easy for him to identify you! Remind him to bring two forms of identification, as your friend graciously agreed to check his identification for you, for safety sake.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

A series of disrespectful posts were removed. As a reminder, see General Etiquette:
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable. If you feel that someone has attacked you or otherwise violated the policies of this forum, do not respond in kind. Instead, please click the report button on the offending post. This is the quickest method to notify the site moderators.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

atikovi - I recommend editing (redacting) your posts to remove the time, location, and name. This forum is heavily indexed by google. Those posts will appear in the google search results. Your seller will find the posts here and get your username. That's not good, as members post anonymous financial info here. You'll lose that anonymity.

If you need help removing the info from a member who's quoted one of those posts, report the post and explain what's wrong.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

I am now super invested in this
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

renter wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 pm Next time consider answering bizarre emails from scammy buyers in the style of the Munchkin Man.
Munchkin Man — He is sadly missed!
Chance favors the prepared mind. — Louis Pasteur
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 am atikovi - I recommend editing (redacting) your posts to remove the time, location, and name. This forum is heavily indexed by google. Those posts will appear in the google search results. Your seller will find the posts here and get your username.
I am the seller. And what was all the posts I missed that were deleted about? I'm a big boy and can take it. :D

Another Mike sent this message which I can tell right off is from a scammer so won't bother replying to:

nlanks a lot for the email. I'm away at sea at the moment. and we are presently offshore in New Zealand on project. We do not have access to phone at the 15days
off and 15days is why I contacted you with intemet messaging facility. is it located at the moment?
I will like you to get back to me with the present many owners has the car had?How many kilometres has it done?Has it ever been in a it been kept
in a the car has Roadworthy Certificate? and want it delivered before my anival_l won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and
would have called but our calling is the payment, get back to me with your final asking price and your PayPal details so can process the
can altematively send your acc name.son code and acct number if you have no PayPal acct_ I have also contacted my courier who xvill come for pick up after the
whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Please bother to reply back if you are not okay with my payment method.
Regards
Mike
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

I'd be tempted to work something out with the cops where a tracker is placed in the car and the scam is allowed to play out. Doubt they would go for it, but dang would it be satisfying to track these guys down and arrest them!
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The OP has supplied an update:
Update to closed topic as requested by a few posters.

Both the people mentioned had expressed interest in coming on the weekend for the car. The second guy drove a rental up from South Carolina and we met near a Bank of America on Saturday morning. He was a 40ish gentleman with a British accent, so I can see why he wrote Sir in the messages. Went for a short test drive and he said it was just as described and will take it for the previously agreed on price, $500 below asking. We went into the bank and he got me a cashier’s check, then I filled out the paperwork and title. He left the car in the bank parking lot and drove me home in the rental. That’s the last I heard of him. Said he was taking the rental to Dulles airport and would Uber back to the car.

Later that day I contacted the first guy to say the car was sold. He was pretty annoyed, said he will have to go and get back the BMW he just sold. Don’t know if he was legit, but I was skeptical of the second guy too, so who knows.
(Thread remains locked.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.