Web-Cam

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
zeppy

Web-Cam

Post by zeppy »

In preparation for learning to ZOOM, I find that I need a web-cam for my computer (Windows 10). This is just for home-personal use, not business use. In searching on-line, I am overwhelmed with all of the choices and not sure what features I should be looking for. I have read that a glass lens, privacy cover and plug&play would be good. Prices vary greatly so am thinking something in the $50-$75 range might be about right. Can anyone recommend a web-cam they have used? Should I get one with a built in microphone? It is hard to buy technical gadgets when you are not knowledgeable about technology..
Thank you.
Zeppy
DSInvestor

Re: Web-Cam

Post by DSInvestor »

Wirecutter - Best Webcams for 2020:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... t-webcams/

My wife needed a web cam and I couldn't find the Logitech 920S in stock anywhere but did find the budget pick Logitech C615 at bestbuy. My wife likes it.
Wiki
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

Prices on webcams have gone up substantially due to pandemic-driven demand (many people working from home). A basic Logitech webcam with a built-in mic is all you need, like the Logitech C310. The C310 is 720p HD, but even a VGA resolution webcam will be fine for your situation, if you can find one, and will be less expensive.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Blake7 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 am Prices on webcams have gone up substantially due to pandemic-driven demand (many people working from home).
Some camera makers have created drivers that turn non-webcams into web cams to help with the shortage.

E.g.

Wyze : https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/2120 ... tion-guide

Olympus: https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311 ... nferencing

(that last article also has links to Fujifilm, Canon, and Panasonic solutions)
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:51 am
Blake7 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 am Prices on webcams have gone up substantially due to pandemic-driven demand (many people working from home).
Some camera makers have created drivers that turn non-webcams into web cams to help with the shortage.

E.g.

Wyze : https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/2120 ... tion-guide

Olympus: https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/21311 ... nferencing

(that last article also has links to Fujifilm, Canon, and Panasonic solutions)
Great idea. I like Wyze and they are very inexpensive starting around $20.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

You may not need "the best" webcam. A few years ago I needed a web-cam, so I strolled into Staples, saw a half-dozen or so, picked a fairly cheap one--I think it cost under $30--from Logitech just because I had heard of the brand--they became famous for making decent mice for the PC. I decided to take a chance even though the box didn't contain any specific Mac OS driver software. I plugged it in. It worked fine.

Like mice and keyboards, webcams are now such a standard thing that they are more or less commoditized... and everyone's figured out the knack of making sure they are all reasonable interoperable with all recent computer.

My advice would be, make sure you get it from somewhere you can return it without a hassle--in my experience that's true of Amazon--pick something that isn't a complete no-name brand sent with 4-6 week delivery time directly via China Post, take a chance, and return it if it doesn't work or really stinks.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Exactly what nisipirius said above. This is pretty much standardized nowadays it would be hard to get it wrong.

If you are on a desktop (likely, because most laptop would have built-in webcam), likely you will also need a microphone, so yes, get a webcam with mic.
Topic Author
zeppy

Post by zeppy »

DSInvestor: Does that Logitech C615 have a privacy cover? The description I read of it didn't mention it one way or the other but it doesn't LOOK like there is one? The 3' cord seems rather short to go from the monitor, over the back of the desk and to the computer- was it long enough for you? Do you just plug it into the computer and it automatically plays or do you have to use a disk and 'install' it?

I like what I've read about the Logitech C920S but they seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth.

..........Zeppy
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

I bought a no-name webcam off of amazon last month. $54 after coupon for this "emeet C960", but it appears to be down to $45 after coupon right now: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6Y7355

It's wide angle, and very clear. Does well in low light conditions, and I've seen it work well with both windows 10 and linux. No special drivers needed. It's actually way better than the webcams built-in to my other laptops -- higher resolution, clearer picture, and better when the lighting is dim.

In zoom, there's an option under video settings for "HD video" that helps when you have a high resolution webcam and checking that option really helps with a camera like this.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Conspiracy theorists say a cheap Chinese webcam can steal your infor. I don't believe it 100% but any time you plug a USB device, it's a potential security risk. If budget is not an issue, I'd get one from a reputable company.

In addition to making camera a webcam, I read you can also make your smartphone a webcam.
student

Post by student »

zeppy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm DSInvestor: Does that Logitech C615 have a privacy cover? The description I read of it didn't mention it one way or the other but it doesn't LOOK like there is one? The 3' cord seems rather short to go from the monitor, over the back of the desk and to the computer- was it long enough for you? Do you just plug it into the computer and it automatically plays or do you have to use a disk and 'install' it?

I like what I've read about the Logitech C920S but they seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth.

..........Zeppy
If it has no privacy cover, you can unplug it or make you own cover with a cardboard.
random_walker_77

acegolfer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:58 am Conspiracy theorists say a cheap Chinese webcam can steal your infor. I don't believe it 100% but any time you plug a USB device, it's a potential security risk. If budget is not an issue, I'd get one from a reputable company.

In addition to making camera a webcam, I read you can also make your smartphone a webcam.
I tried a couple of smartphone-to-webcam apps. IVCAM seemed to work the best, but I had two issues:

1) I couldn't reliably get it to connect via usb cable, and while wifi worked, I preferred not to bounce the video from phone to computer to zoom server over wifi, since the wifi was a little weaker in that corner of the house, and was shared amongst multiple people

2) The phone gets really hot, and it seemed like my phone was slowly discharging even while plugged in to usb

The other concern with USB data transfer was that it required the android phone be put in USB debug mode. I wasn't so sure I wanted my phone to be left in this state.

That said, your phone has a really high quality camera. Combine it with an appropriate tripod and it'll do in a pinch. I decided that I'd rather have a dedicated webcam.

I'm not so sure I'd put stock in a conspiracy theory about USB hacking, and if so, why not also a mouse, usb drive, or usb charger? Nearly everything is made overseas -- it's just a question of whether a US company has put their name on it
02nz

Post by 02nz »

As others have noted webcams are in short supply right now. On Best Buy's website, you can set an in-stock alert (email). Make sure you buy as soon as you get the email. Or try other sources like Office Depot, which may be a better bet as most people think of Amazon or Best Buy first when they look for webcams.

An alternative if you have a smartphone or tablet is something like EpocCam. The free version is limited and has ads, or you can pay around $8 for the full version.
random_walker_77

student wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 am If it has no privacy cover, you can unplug it or make you own cover with a cardboard.
The cheapest solution is to just use a post-it note to cover the camera...

You can also buy slider covers that will stick to your webcam or phone. Here's 4 for under $2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1-Pieces-Web ... SwQ6Ve~qLW
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 am I'm not so sure I'd put stock in a conspiracy theory about USB hacking, and if so, why not also a mouse, usb drive, or usb charger? Nearly everything is made overseas -- it's just a question of whether a US company has put their name on it
FYI, USB mouse, USB drive can hack a computer.
random_walker_77

acegolfer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am
random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 am I'm not so sure I'd put stock in a conspiracy theory about USB hacking, and if so, why not also a mouse, usb drive, or usb charger? Nearly everything is made overseas -- it's just a question of whether a US company has put their name on it
I need to be more careful with my phrasing. Yes, I meant that if you were to worry about this, you should also be worrying about everything else you might plug in.

It's certainly technically possible (https://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/), but I think most people have higher risk from other vulnerabilities.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

random_walker_77 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 am
acegolfer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am
I need to be more careful with my phrasing. Yes, I meant that if you were to worry about this, you should also be worrying about everything else you might plug in.

It's certainly technically possible (https://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/), but I think most people have higher risk from other vulnerabilities.
Correct. I don't plug a cheap USB mouse (or any USB device that I can't trust) in my computer. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a security freak.
Topic Author
zeppy

Post by zeppy »

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions, recommendations, and advice.
I am currently looking at the emeetC960, the NexiGo2020 and the Logitech C615, while still hoping the Logitech C920 or C920s becomes available. I only have a desktop (no phone or laptop) so other options won't work for me.
..........zeppy
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I was on multiple waiting lists for logitech webcams (c920, C922, C930, etc.
Finally the C922 came through -- it was $100 but well worth the expense (for me)
I am on it 3-5 hours a week so I wanted a higher resolution. Also, the C920 was not available
nor the Raznor (however it is spelled).

I bought from Logitech but their support/service is horrible -- they never tell you anything once you order this
webcam. When I cancelled the order (an ordeal since there is not easy way to do it) -- they shipped the next
day.

B&H was my preferred choice and every 2 weeks they sent a notice that it is still on back order. I would much rather get
it from them, but Logitech said they had it in stock. Six weeks later I got it.