Carvana or Vroom- ever use it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mr. Curious

Re: Carvana or Vroom- ever use it?

Post by Mr. Curious »

I just had a good experience selling a car to Vroom. They offered more than Carmax or Carvana. I was slightly nervous because you FedEx your title before they pick up the car, and you don't get paid until after pickup.

I typically try to sell on my own, but this car had the check engine light on due to several big-ticket repairs needed.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

bob60014 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:52 pm Just sold a vehicle to Carvana, zero issues, very fair value received and didn't have to deal with a FSBO or trade-in. A win-win!
What does FSBO stand for?
Ykcor

Re: Sell My Car To Carvana?

Post by Ykcor »

It would seem if you can get the dealer trade-in to match the best offer from Carvana, Carmax etc. that you would save on sales tax of the new vehicle?
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

For Sale By Owner :sharebeer
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

bgf wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:55 pm We bought a car on carvana last year. Super easy process, and I highly recommend it.
+1
Similar. They handled all the registration paperwork and even contacted us 4 months later to refund a small amount overpaid.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Leesbro63's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

I used Carvana to pick up a car last year (one prior owner). It was hassle-free and were easy to deal with, especially as compared to the local dealers. Their price was also competitive, vs. the out the door price from local dealers. After that, I've decided to just go with Carvana going forward. That said, it's slim pickings right now and I am concerned about lower quality vehicles.
delamer

Post by delamer »

We had an experience with CarMax in which we had a car shipped (free) within state to the location closest to us, for possible purchase As soon as we opened the door to check out the car, we were hit with an awful odor. It smelled like someone had vomited profusely in the car and then let the car sit in the sun for several days. It was literally the worst thing I’ve ever smelled. To be clear, the car was cleaned but just smelled disgusting. We passed on the purchase.

So does anyone know if Carvana or Vroom phone reps will provide (or even have) information on whether a vehicle has an obvious odor, most likely from smoking or transporting dogs or some other reason (the odds are against the vomit situation recurring, hopefully). That’s a dealbreaker for us and I’d hate to go through the buying process and then have to return the vehicle for that reason.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

delamer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:46 am We had an experience with CarMax in which we had a car shipped (free) within state to the location closest to us, for possible purchase As soon as we opened the door to check out the car, we were hit with an awful odor. It smelled like someone had vomited profusely in the car and then let the car sit in the sun for several days. It was literally the worst thing I’ve ever smelled. To be clear, the car was cleaned but just smelled disgusting. We passed on the purchase.

So does anyone know if Carvana or Vroom phone reps will provide (or even have) information on whether a vehicle has an obvious odor, most likely from smoking or transporting dogs or some other reason (the odds are against the vomit situation recurring, hopefully). That’s a dealbreaker for us and I’d hate to go through the buying process and then have to return the vehicle for that reason.
Gives “new car smell” a whole new meaning 😂
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

delamer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:46 am We had an experience with CarMax in which we had a car shipped (free) within state to the location closest to us, for possible purchase As soon as we opened the door to check out the car, we were hit with an awful odor. It smelled like someone had vomited profusely in the car and then let the car sit in the sun for several days. It was literally the worst thing I’ve ever smelled. To be clear, the car was cleaned but just smelled disgusting. We passed on the purchase.

I would expect it will depend on the individual trying to sell you the car. I was looking for a used Subaru and was comparing 2 nearly identical ones at the local dealer. Both were 2016 with the same equipment. One was silver. The other was green and had less miles and a lower price, curiously. We drove the silver one (because I liked the color better) but had the sales guy open the green one. It reeked of cigarette smoke. The sales guy got in and said "I don't smell anything". Yah, right. So I guess you should expect lies if you can't verify in person.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

I can only speak for carvana, as I have no Vroom experience - carvana will NOT tell you in advance if the car has any obvious pet or smoking odors. Many reddit posters talk about getting vehicles with poor or no detailing done, stains on the seats, garbage still in the car, odors from pets, sometimes smoking, etc.

The 4 year old car I bought from them a couple of years ago was in sparkling pristine condition - I got lucky. But i also bought "an old person's car" lol - a buick luxury model- which likely sees less family/kids/pets usage on average.

I very much like the Carvana experience - but I will be honest - their "in depth" inspection is hit or miss - especially now when they're slammed with demand. They often do little to the cars they buy before selling them - and certainly don't do anywhere near the in depth detailing a bricks and mortar dealer does. But you're also not paying ripoff dealer fees, doc fees, dealing with the finance dept games, etc.

Carvana's solution is usually to cut a check during that 7 day trial period if you experience any concerns with respect to cosmetic or mechanical issues. They'll usually try to work with you to make you happy so that you keep the car. After 7 days, it's much tougher to get help.

For cars that arrive dirty or with a distinct odor, most posters report that they usually will cut you a check for $100-150 and tell you to get it professionally detailed yourself or just return the car.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
willyd123

Post by willyd123 »

I bought a car from Carvana. ON a 1 to 10, I'd give them a 9. Great experience. The ONLY issue I had and it was pretty small was I gather they "estimate" the cost for getting a tag and then once they get the tag for you and therefore know the actual cost, they are supposed to give you a refund. They did all these things but the reps were not real good at explaining the process, timing, etc. Otherwise, awesome. By the way, would've been a great stock to buy a while ago but pretty pricey at this point...
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

I read somewhere - have no idea if it's true - that most carvana customers return their first car choice and end up keeping the 2nd car they choose. I know I returned the 1st car I chose last time and bought the 2nd one.

I'm now shopping carvana for another vehicle and returned a car recently because there was an issue that wasn't disclosed in notes/pics. It concerned me enough that I didn't want to deal with repairs, as it wasn't necessarily straightfwd to fix. So maybe it'll be the same thing this time - I'll buy my 2nd choice.

By the way...don't fear returning the car: it's incredibly easy to return - they come right to your house or business, load it up - takes 10 min tops. Very hassle free. The only downside is a couple of calls or emails to your insurer: you have to put the car on your insurance before they deliver it - then remove it if you send the car back.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
delamer

Post by delamer »

BogleFanGal wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:28 pm

I can only speak for carvana, as I have no Vroom experience - carvana will NOT tell you in advance if the car has any obvious pet or smoking odors. Many reddit posters talk about getting vehicles with poor or no detailing done, stains on the seats, garbage still in the car, odors from pets, sometimes smoking, etc.

The 4 year old car I bought from them a couple of years ago was in sparkling pristine condition - I got lucky. But i also bought "an old person's car" lol - a buick luxury model- which likely sees less family/kids/pets usage on average.

I very much like the Carvana experience - but I will be honest - their "in depth" inspection is hit or miss - especially now when they're slammed with demand. They often do little to the cars they buy before selling them - and certainly don't do anywhere near the in depth detailing a bricks and mortar dealer does. But you're also not paying ripoff dealer fees, doc fees, dealing with the finance dept games, etc.

Carvana's solution is usually to cut a check during that 7 day trial period if you experience any concerns with respect to cosmetic or mechanical issues. They'll usually try to work with you to make you happy so that you keep the car. After 7 days, it's much tougher to get help.

For cars that arrive dirty or with a distinct odor, most posters report that they usually will cut you a check for $100-150 and tell you to get it professionally detailed yourself or just return the car.
I saw the same reddit thread. The lack of detailing wouldn’t bother me, but smells are a whole different issue.

I also saw threads about problems getting permanent tags for vehicles.

As you said, though, the tradeoff is not having to put up with dealers’ games.

I may just defer my search for awhile. I’ve also considered leasing a new or used vehicle.
bampf

Post by bampf »

Just got done with a transaction via carvana. I don't think I will do it again. The detailing was substandard. Couple of small broken bits, but, didn't find them until after the 7 days had expired. They swore up and down I could get military plates, but, were then totally unwilling to do it and in fact put my registration in limbo for several weeks. I still don't have the registration even though I purchased the car in July. They are terrible at communication. I had to call a half a dozen times and they literally never gave me an answer except to blame it on their 3rd party.

Did I get a fair deal for the car? Yes. Would I do it again? No. To be clear, every car I have purchased since 2003 has been on-line. I used e-bay, several (ok 4) through e-carone and finally carvana. By far the most disappointing has been carvana.
iamlucky13

Re: Sell My Car To Carvana?

Post by iamlucky13 »

djpeteski wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 am
batpot wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm do they take 10+ year old cars, too?

Would love to lose the headache of a private sale.
Once they get that old, sell to a junk yard or low end dealer. You got your value out of it, just see the dollars you get from it as gravy.

I will not sell a low end car again to a private party. They just beat you up over price and then complain about issues with a car that cost $500. And I feel for them, scrapping up $500 was probably difficult.
I'm guessing your experience was with something older or in poor condition. 10 years is not even average age for cars in the US (11.8 years).

Even a very basic car is typically worth thousands of dollars at that age. Kelly Blue Book suggests a 10 year old Camry is worth $4300 for a dealer trade-in or $6100 to a private party. Presumably these outfits like Carvana and Vroom fall somewhere in between.