Sell My Car To Carvana?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Sell My Car To Carvana?

Post by Leesbro63 »

We have a 2015 Mini Cooper 4 door, in great shape, that we are thinking of replacing. We do not have a Carmax in Pittsburgh. Accordingly I looked at Carvana and they made a good offer...I think. How does this REALLY work? Do they send someone then try to beat you down once they get there?
regularguy455

Re: Sell My Car To Carvana?

Post by regularguy455 »

I did this last month with Carvana. I was skeptical like you but the process was completely seem less. Someone came out, looked the car over for 10 minutes, and cut me a check. They flat bedded the car away. I highly recommend them if you are happy with their offer.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I sold a 2015 Honda Odyssey to Carvana in late 2019. It was a very positive experience.

I got my offer from CarMax. I then got my online offer from Carvana. As I recall, it was more than $2k higher than the CarMax offer.

I had a little apprehension about the condition of the odyssey, because of some scratches. But that was put to rest when the carvana guy was dropped off at my house with paperwork and a check. He took a cursory look at the car, started it up, and finished his paperwork.

From his arrival until he drove off in the odyssey was less than 15 minutes. No haggling, no problem

Highly recommended.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
dandydoc

Post by dandydoc »

I sold a VW Touareg to Carvana 3 years ago. It was the easiest transaction ever. A flat bed tow truck showed up with a very young women driver. I was amazed as how she adroitly put that large SUV onto the flatbed after a very quick car inspection. I handed her the car title and registration, signed a few forms, and she gave me the check. Easy as pie. I think the important part is to be honest with the car description and take good pictures when registering online. Would definitely consider them again before another trade in or sale to carmax.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Did it a few months ago and it was by far the easiest used car sale I've ever made. It eliminated having to deal with a trade in, doing a private sale and having people over to view and dealing with their payment, etc... The Carvana quote process was easy to navigate, they were prompt in all communication and arrived at the scheduled appointment time. The employee checked the car over and handed my a check per the quote and off they went. No pain, no strain...highly recommended! As others have said, their quote was substantially more than Carmax.
Last edited by bob60014 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

If it’s reassuring to you, the process on the other end is as smooth. Kids bought a used Prius from them; the process was smooth, the car as promised.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Litfury

Post by Litfury »

I helped my mother in law sell her car to Carvana last week. They were the highest offer between CarMax, Vroom, Carvana. Process was simple. Just uploaded a few documents online for her and they called to schedule a pickup. From the time they arrived to time they left was less than 15 minutes.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I sold a car to them, but I probably wouldn't buy from them - they bought my car sight unseen in under 10 minutes and it was up for sale on their website 2 days later. My car happened to be in good shape but I don't think they're doing much to check vehicles they sell for issues.
MAJIC9

Post by MAJIC9 »

I sold a car recently to Carvana.. they offered me 2k more than what Carmax offered (12k vs 10k). Then they turned around and sold it for 4k more :) It was super easy transaction..
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

arf30 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:59 am I sold a car to them, but I probably wouldn't buy from them - they bought my car sight unseen in under 10 minutes and it was up for sale on their website 2 days later. My car happened to be in good shape but I don't think they're doing much to check vehicles they sell for issues.
It doesn't take long to fully inspect a car. For example, the inspection that Carmax does before putting a car back on sale is less than 2 hours and very thorough. If nothing was wrong with your car, having it go on sale 2 days later is not surprising to me at all.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Yes, it really is easy and took me about 15 minutes to sell my car to carvana.

Pre-appointment:
1. Scans of front and back of DL for title holder
2. Scans of front and back of title
3. Possibly additional paperwork if they need it; they needed nothing from me

Appointment
1. I set for first appointment in morning.
2. Rep called saying he was on his way and he arrive about 20-25 minutes early (perfect, I loved this)
3. He did a quick inspection to verify car was as-is (I'm guessing condition and mileage)
4. I signed about 6 documents or so

Payment
1. ACH payment arrived within 24-48 hours. No issues.
2. I think a physical check would have been presented at time of transaction less $5 service fee.

10 out of 10, would do again if they delivered a competitive car offer like they did to me.
RJC

Post by RJC »

This is helpful. The next time I sell my car, I will hit up both Carvana and Carmax.

Are these considered the best places to check?
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

Clark Howard says Carvana is desperate for inventory and they are offering top dollar right now.
Mathematicus

Post by Mathematicus »

My family sold 2 cars to Carvana over the summer. Prices were good and process was very easy. One car was a 2014 Rav4. Carvana paid $12k, while the dealer had quoted a trade in of $8k!
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Ditto all the positive experiences. I sold a car to Carvana a couple months ago. Originally only got a quote from them to set a baseline, but the offer actually ended up being almost exactly what I thought I could sell it for after having already done some research. Incredibly easy process.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

RJC wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 am This is helpful. The next time I sell my car, I will hit up both Carvana and Carmax.

Are these considered the best places to check?
Plus Vroom, Shift, Autonation, and AutoLendersGo.com

You can even pit these companies against each other
Last edited by Tingting1013 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batpot

Post by batpot »

do they take 10+ year old cars, too?

Would love to lose the headache of a private sale.
Kobra

Post by Kobra »

After my dad's passing my mom wanted to sell his vehicle so my brother took it by Carmax and she was offered $9000. The following weekend my mom asked if I could help deliver to Carmax and I asked if they got an offer from Carvana. After entering the info on the Carvana site they came back with an offer of $10000. The best part was they picked it up from her driver. I did notice they listed it for $14000 on their site a couple of weeks later.

Mark
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

batpot wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm do they take 10+ year old cars, too?

I know for sure Car Max does. I was considering buying a used car 6 months ago and got the dealer's trade in number ($750) so drove over to Car Max who offered $1500. 2009 Ford Fusion with some damage.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:34 pm

I know for sure Car Max does. I was considering buying a used car 6 months ago and got the dealer's trade in number ($750) so drove over to Car Max who offered $1500. 2009 Ford Fusion with some damage.
And CarMax paid $1,000 for the 15 year old BMW of a friend. The car was not drivable and to be towed in.

The CarMax guy told me that salesmen are able to buy three trade in cars per year for $500 over CM cost. He thought that a salesman would buy the BMW, fix it up, and flip it at a profit.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
JookieBrown

Post by JookieBrown »

Yep. Sold our ‘05 RX300 a couple years ago to Carvana. It was due for some serious maintenance and it was easier to sell and be done then mess with that.

Offered more than I expected. Didn’t wash it or anything. They came by with a check, I gave them the title and they drove off.
bioebud

Post by bioebud »

+1 for Carvana. I couldn't use them because they were too far from my "area", but their offer was higher than what I ended up selling for. And they were higher than other car apps.
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

Carmax and Carvana both do a good job. I thin kVroom and Shift have a similar service but i havent heard as much about them.
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

Sell it to Carvana. They pay above market since they have venture capital money to burn.
75% Total Stock Market US VTI | 20% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

rallycobra wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 pm Sell it to Carvana. They pay above market since they have venture capital money to burn.
Carvana has been a public company for years.

Compare their gross margins against CarMax. Virtually identical. (13%)

Which makes sense. There’s only so many ways you can flip a car.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Carvana is a finance company that happens to sell cars.

They have a long-established subprime lending infrastructure and they make a lot of money on financing.

This is a chief reason their offers are so strong.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

I also had a seamless selling experience to Carvana. I wasn't actually trying to sell my car but heard through other forums that they were making crazy offers, which turned out to be true.

I will say though that they barely inspected my car. I probably wouldn't buy from Carvana, unless I was willing to get an independent inspection on my own immediately after purchase, and was prepared to use their return policy.
maroon

Post by maroon »

Well, I just got a Carvana purchase quote of ~$3,100 for my older, yet super reliable Subaru Forester. Guess I'll be keeping the car 'til it dies! (I didn't provide my car's VIN #, just got the general estimate.)
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

maroon wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:14 pm Well, I just got a Carvana purchase quote of ~$3,100 for my older, yet super reliable Subaru Forester. Guess I'll be keeping the car 'til it dies! (I didn't provide my car's VIN #, just got the general estimate.)
Try Vroom and Shift and use your VIN. You might be surprised at what they offer.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Just sold a 2010 Subaru Forester for $2k over the Vroom and Carvana offers using Facebook Marketplace.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Once they get that old, sell to a junk yard or low end dealer. You got your value out of it, just see the dollars you get from it as gravy.

I will not sell a low end car again to a private party. They just beat you up over price and then complain about issues with a car that cost $500. And I feel for them, scrapping up $500 was probably difficult.