Online Resources for Learning Physics (AP Physics / High School)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AKBTX14

Online Resources for Learning Physics (AP Physics / High School)

Post by AKBTX14 »

Hi

It's been a long time since I studied Physics. My kid is taking AP Physics-I in high school (school is all on-line).

Lack of in-person classes and a book is not helping my kid in this subject and he asked me for help.

Are there any Physics subject experts / HS teachers here who can direct us to online resources etc. I would not mind re-reading Physics myself to help him as well. Thanks

Regards
Normchad

Re: Online Resources for Learning Physics (AP Physics / High School)

Post by Normchad »

AKBTX14 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:01 pm Hi

It's been a long time since I studied Physics. My kid is taking AP Physics-I in high school (school is all on-line).

Lack of in-person classes and a book is not helping my kid in this subject and he asked me for help.

Are there any Physics subject experts / HS teachers here who can direct us to online resources etc. I would not mind re-reading Physics myself to help him as well. Thanks

Regards
I wouldn’t take the entire course this way, but I do think Khan Academy is amazing! Great resource for learning very specific things. I’m sure they cover AP Physics as well.

And here it is: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap-physics-1
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Are you saying that his school is offering a physics course without a textbook??

I can offer three suggestions, which might match up poorly with Whatever They Do Now.

1 PSSC physics. I used it back in the day and it got me started.

2. One of the standard college freshman physics texts. Like Sears Zemansky and Young, co-authored by one of my colleagues, R.I.P.

3. A really advanced student would like the Feynman books, downloadable now for free I think.
philef

Post by philef »

https://openstax.org/ has quite a few free textbooks.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Open Yale Courses, Fundamentals of Physics I

It covers mechanics and heat, usually the first semester material. Electricity and magnetism is usually the second semester.
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

Regards
Also AP subjects have their own channels on YouTube. Be sure he gets on that. And his teacher should get him enrolled on AP Classroom. They order exams now thru classroom so he needs to be enrolled there regardless.
Topic Author
AKBTX14

Post by AKBTX14 »

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
LuckyGuy

Post by LuckyGuy »

I taught AP physics 1 and C after I retired the first time and before I retired the second time :happy

First of all, AP physics 1 is very conceptual. You can’t just learn physics like I did in college and pass the AP exam. Not much plug and chug for sure. For a book in the style of AP physics 1, I highly recommend Dan Fullerton’s book AP Physics 1 essentials. He has a corresponding website with videos called A Plus physics. There are other good sources of information but his is clearly on target with the style of the class.
Quaestner

Post by Quaestner »

Physicsclassroom.com may be helpful. Some of the PhET simulations at phet.colorado.edu are nice for experimenting.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I took physics many decades ago. When I lost my job in 2008 I wanted to open up the possibility of being a teacher. I decided to take a test that would get me a provisional license. (I passed, got the license, and then didn't do anything with it). Anyway, I found Light and Matter, a set of open source physics textbooks, to be very useful and I heartily recommend them.

Websites and videos are great but they are no substitute for a textbook... and free sure beats $90.

One thing that I hadn't really noticed in high school or college is that "Physics" is really an amazingly arbitrary collection of more-or-less disconnected topics. I hadn't noticed it because I just accepted that "this collection of things is called physics." At some level, of course, light is connected to electricity, but there isn't that much of a connection between the thin-lens formula and Kirchoff's law!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Calico

Post by Calico »

Normchad wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Regards
I wouldn’t take the entire course this way, but I do think Khan Academy is amazing! Great resource for learning very specific things. I’m sure they cover AP Physics as well.

And here it is: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap-physics-1
I just wanted to chime in and give a second recommendation for Khan Academy. My high school daughter uses it and loves it. They have AP classes there.

I also always get an AP study guide for my daughter too for all her AP classes. She's not in AP Physics so I don't have a recommendation specifically for that. What I do is read the reviews in Amazon for the different guides (I usually end up with Princeton Review or Barron's).
Calico

Post by Calico »

adamthesmythe wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:19 pm Are you saying that his school is offering a physics course without a textbook??
My daughter doesn't have a text book for three of her classes this year. The only ones she has are for her AP classes. It's a strange concept to me, but it's the trend.
teacherman

Post by teacherman »

Check out Paul Andersen at Bozemanscience.com. He has great videos on a multitude of subjects in science.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

The Mechanical Universe, a PBS classic 52-part series my homeschool daughters enjoyed years ago on videotape is now on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... dk-XGtA5cZ
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

YouTube probably has 100s of physics channels. Go there, type in the topic being covered and see what pops up. Watch the video and if you like it, subscribe to it.

Here are two that I've subscribed to. The second one has really good animations that help me understand things since I'm a visual learner.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiGxYa ... FcX0R60YdQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ0yBo ... qeMXh9mkog