Coin and stamp values online?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lemonaid56

Coin and stamp values online?

Post by Lemonaid56 »

I was just given a shopping bag full of a mix of old coins and stamps my grandfather had collected. Some foreign some US.
Is there a way I can check values online with out buying a subscription or a book?
I used to collect coins as a kid so a quick peaksee tells me most are not a great collector item so not sure why he collected them. There are a few pre-63 silvers and some Indian heads but none appear at a glance to be significant finds.
I do have a Whitman Redbook from 2000 and a '15 Blackbook I found at a yardsale to start with.
Stamps I have zero idea where to start.
I don't think there is enough to make it worth while to "call in an expert".
Has anyone else run into this trouble and how did you handle it?
My 85 year old dad and his wife entrusted them to me to research with the caveat if there is big money we'll split it 10 ways! WooHoo!
Cheez-It Guy

Re: Coin and stamp values online?

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Native American Heads
Topic Author
Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 »

Yes so sorry. I'm old . Its what they used to be referred to as.
Native American Busts.
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

I'm going through the same thing and it looks like the marketplace is eBay or a local coin store. Good luck.

TOM
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

For US coins, you can try: http://numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml

For circulated coins, look at prices in the VG-F-VF categories.

The silver is worth about 20x face value at a minimum (i.e., 50 cents = close to $10) although the silver market is a little crazy right now and there’s a big spread between buy and sell prices.

And everyone I know still called them Indians even though it actually portrays lady Liberty wearing a traditional Indian headdress.
sport

Post by sport »

For stamps, you can most likely find a Scott Catalog in the library.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

eBay (sold listings, not live listings) is really the best indicator for what you can get.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Lemonaid56 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:27 am Yes so sorry. I'm old . Its what they used to be referred to as.
Native American Busts.
I'm just kidding around. I couldn't answer your real questions.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I just got done dumping the last of a stamp collection that had probably 15 cubic feet of stamps into the trash can. I started off by taking a representative sample to various places, followed by trying to giving it away to various stamp clubs, followed by letting it sit in plastic tubs in my garage for a year, followed by dumping them in the trash can. Basically it seemed as if all the stuff worth money has long since been bought up in private collections and anything of recently modern times (last 50 to 70 years) is essentially worthless because everything was produced in huge numbers. Hopefully others have better luck than I did because I found it highly disappointing.

For coins, I found it easiest to just take it down to several different pawn/coin type shops and get several estimates and then sell it at the highest number. I definitely got more money than I did with the stamp collection but certainly nothing to write home about.
Topic Author
Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:55 pm
Lemonaid56 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:27 am Yes so sorry. I'm old . Its what they used to be referred to as.
Native American Busts.
I'm just kidding around. I couldn't answer your real questions.
Thought you might be. But in these times they are all coming out of the wood work at every little slight perceived.
willyd123

Post by willyd123 »

I am a long time coin collector. I agree that Ebay can give you a sense of values although the prices there tend to be a bit higher than a direct buyer/seller deal as Ebay sellers try to recoup the cost of the selling fees. Another way would be to go onto GreatCollections.com and view the historical actual sales of similar coins although this company tends to deal in higher value coins.

In the end, while you may not get the best value possible you have to primary choices to sell the coins - 1. Ebay (but you have to understand that postage may eat up most of your revenue and it's a fair amount of work) or 2. local coin shop. You could also try on Craigslist.org.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

sport wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:58 am For stamps, you can most likely find a Scott Catalog in the library.
Scott sets a minimum value per stamp. So, The total for a bunch of common (junk?) stamps is meaningless. For stamps of significant value, you would be lucky to get 10% of Scott from a dealer. Maybe do better on eBay as others have suggested. I've sold some stamps and coins on eBay but it's not easy.
Quaestner

Post by Quaestner »

Even if your stamps are unused, expect an offer of 50-70% of face value. Not many folks want to use the lower denomination stamps for postage.

If the stamps are organized in albums, they may have value.
sonosoldi3112

Post by sonosoldi3112 »

hello

very fair coin expert on youtube and he even takes collections and makes offers ... also his advice as to values is simple just look at ebay completed auctions ( not current ones with unrealistic prices) ... there is an option on left side of screen for completed auctions.

If coins ect not graded in slabs or holders eg pcgs, ngc, anacs .. probably harder to value.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIYtW3 ... BmXg71pXQw

best of luck
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

For coins, I bring them to my escrap place, which also has an attached precious metals business, Northeast Precious Metals and Coins. They've consistently paid more than my local bullion dealer, pawn shops, Apmex and tend to match what I've received from Craigslist private buyers. They're in Worcester, MA.

For stamps, I only received a very small amount and on advice of a few dealers, I used them on packages with lots of area. I used to sell thousands of car parts, so throwing $2 worth of 1 and 2 cent stamps could actually be done, with the additional added in a higher value tag. I'm pretty stubborn about throwing out stuff of value (says the guy who collects and sells scrap metal and escrap), so maybe I'm willing to do more work to eek value out of things.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
sport

Post by sport »

RudyS wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:00 pm
sport wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:58 am For stamps, you can most likely find a Scott Catalog in the library.
Scott sets a minimum value per stamp. So, The total for a bunch of common (junk?) stamps is meaningless. For stamps of significant value, you would be lucky to get 10% of Scott from a dealer. Maybe do better on eBay as others have suggested. I've sold some stamps and coins on eBay but it's not easy.
Yep. Scott values are supposed to be retail prices. What you can actually sell stamps for is another situation entirely. However, the values are useful to differentiate those with value from the common space-fillers.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

deleted
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
windaar

Post by windaar »

eBay is a great place to see what items have sold for but be sure to look at the options on the left side of the page to only search "completed items" to see what things actually sold for instead of just looking at asking prices which can be very unrealistic.
Nobody knows nothing.