What to use Amazon digital rewards on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

What to use Amazon digital rewards on?

Post by newbie003 »

I often choose slower shipping and have built up $20 or so in Amazon digital rewards. Aside from the renting the occasionally movie, what else should I use it on?

In particular, I have $3 expiring today and I can't figure out what to quickly use it on. I have amazon music already so I don't need to buy any songs.

Is there anything in particular you guys use it on that I'm not thinking of?
queso

Re: What to use Amazon digital rewards on?

Post by queso »

Subscribed. I do the same, but there hasn't been anything we have been interested in renting lately.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

newbie003 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 am I often choose slower shipping and have built up $20 or so in Amazon digital rewards. Aside from the renting the occasionally movie, what else should I use it on?

In particular, I have $3 expiring today and I can't figure out what to quickly use it on. I have amazon music already so I don't need to buy any songs.

Kindle or Audible books. You don't need a Kindle...you can download the app onto your iPad, iPhone, Android, Mac, or PC.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

You could watch or rewatch one of a few handfuls of old videos including Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky IV, Rocky V, and Rocky Balboa ("Rocky Balboa has now been retired for some time, but hard-up for money, he decides to step back into the ring against"). I haven't seen them all yet.
RENT
$2.99 or less movie deals
See more
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/storefr ... chId=deals

Most are "Rentals include 30 days to start watching this video and 48 hours to finish once started.", but once in a while, I've come across only 24 hour movies, so watch out for those.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 am
newbie003 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 am I often choose slower shipping and have built up $20 or so in Amazon digital rewards. Aside from the renting the occasionally movie, what else should I use it on?

Kindle or Audible books. You don't need a Kindle...you can download the app onto your iPad, iPhone, Android, Mac, or PC.
+1. I use almost all of my Amazon digital rewards to purchase e-books.

Kinda jealous of OP's $20 stash of rewards. My Amazon digital reward offers seem to have dried up of late. Just spent my last $1 reward yesterday.

Loved those generous $3 digital rewards Amazon offered a couple of months ago!
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 am

+1. I use almost all of my Amazon digital rewards to purchase e-books.

Kinda jealous of OP's $20 stash of rewards. My Amazon digital reward offers seem to have dried up of late. Just spent my last $1 reward yesterday.

Loved those generous $3 digital rewards Amazon offered a couple of months ago!
Thanks all. I just grabbed an ebook, and also a movie (as I did recall that I have 30 days to start watching it, and I have a few more rewards that expire in a few days). As for getting $20, it seems that with all of my orders lately, I have the option of saving $1 here, or a $2 there...and it adds up.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

newbie003 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:50 amThanks all. I just grabbed an ebook, and also a movie (as I did recall that I have 30 days to start watching it, and I have a few more rewards that expire in a few days). As for getting $20, it seems that with all of my orders lately, I have the option of saving $1 here, or a $2 there...and it adds up.
I totally missed the $3 rewards. Didn't even hear about it or come across any. I wonder if I wasn't paying attention or wasn't targeted or eligible.

They recently changed the algorithm, at least for me. I was using separate orders to get $1 for each item instead of buying 2 or 3 together and only getting $1 total. What's happening to me now is there isn't a reward for 1 item anymore, but when I buy 2 or more items, I start getting them. It's been variable, but seems to be around $0.50 per additional item. Also, there might be a minimum threshold amount. What I haven't figured out is whether it's Amazon setting these levels or the actual sellers because it appears to vary depending on item, seller, and the phase of the moon.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

inbox788 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:31 am
newbie003 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:50 amThanks all. I just grabbed an ebook, and also a movie (as I did recall that I have 30 days to start watching it, and I have a few more rewards that expire in a few days). As for getting $20, it seems that with all of my orders lately, I have the option of saving $1 here, or a $2 there...and it adds up.
I totally missed the $3 rewards. Didn't even hear about it or come across any. I wonder if I wasn't paying attention or wasn't targeted or eligible.

They recently changed the algorithm, at least for me. I was using separate orders to get $1 for each item instead of buying 2 or 3 together and only getting $1 total. What's happening to me now is there isn't a reward for 1 item anymore, but when I buy 2 or more items, I start getting them. It's been variable, but seems to be around $0.50 per additional item. Also, there might be a minimum threshold amount. What I haven't figured out is whether it's Amazon setting these levels or the actual sellers because it appears to vary depending on item, seller, and the phase of the moon.
Yeah, I've also on a couple of occasions broken up orders to get a buck extra (via digital credit) on orders. Sometimes felt a little bad / guilty doing this, especially for an item that only cost a few bucks to begin with.

It's variable for me as to when the offer will appear. I also wondered if I had a better chance ordering several items together, but I haven't been able to detect a pattern, unfortunately. Amazon recently started offering me the option to have everything shipped to arrive in one package (I think) on the same day each week (with the proviso that stuff may come earlier than scheduled, ha). I thought that maybe if I placed more orders to arrive the same day each week I might get "rewarded" with a digital credit when I declined, say, next day shipping in favor of the predetermined weekly delivery date. Unfortunately, this hasn't materialized, so far.

Edit: I wonder if the $3 rewards were a brief and temporary thing when Amazon experienced a particularly crunch period to fill high priority orders for essential businesses, maybe.
chw

Post by chw »

Consider buying the ebook of an author you like. Search older releases you haven’t read- often times the kindle book is quite reasonable in price. With this in mind, I often take delayed deliveries on my orders in order to accumulate these ceredits.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

rjbraun wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:22 amYeah, I've also on a couple of occasions broken up orders to get a buck extra (via digital credit) on orders. Sometimes felt a little bad / guilty doing this, especially for an item that only cost a few bucks to begin with.

It's variable for me as to when the offer will appear. I also wondered if I had a better chance ordering several items together, but I haven't been able to detect a pattern, unfortunately. Amazon recently started offering me the option to have everything shipped to arrive in one package (I think) on the same day each week (with the proviso that stuff may come earlier than scheduled, ha). I thought that maybe if I placed more orders to arrive the same day each week I might get "rewarded" with a digital credit when I declined, say, next day shipping in favor of the predetermined weekly delivery date. Unfortunately, this hasn't materialized, so far.

Edit: I wonder if the $3 rewards were a brief and temporary thing when Amazon experienced a particularly crunch period to fill high priority orders for essential businesses, maybe.
Don't feel guilty. They don't feel guilty using us as guinea pigs, and experimenting on us. If fact, they want you to react to their stimuli, so they can learn to better manipulate out behavior. They change the game, we adapt. The ultimate goal is for Amazon to be more profitable, and if that get's some free electrons, so much the better. It doesn't cost Amazon much to provide these digital credits, they're mostly made up and many just expire worthless. Much of the rest are delivered via electrons we probably wouldn't have paid real money for anyway.

The real savings is carbon. If they can bundle deliveries, it does save real gas and resources if the delivery guy doesn't have to make 2 or 3 trips, and that cost savings helps them make more money. I have been amazed by how they've been able to combine orders sometimes, and how flexible they've been about fulfilling orders as well. I've had food, clothing and car parts ordered separately arrive in one box. And I've had 3 cans of peanuts come from 3 parts of the country delivered by different carriers (USPS, UPS, Fedex) on different days. (I think I would have only received one package if I had only placed one order for all 3, so my $2 extra digital credit added to the carbon waste. Sorry.)

Yes, I too think they're using these tools to manage peak demand periods. It's a very low cost and effective way to gain efficiency. And while most of what they're doing is very reasonable, but they're doing it so well, it's a virtual monopoly killing the competition, big and small (not to mention cannibalizing their partners). And it's helping them get the sale when price is same as the competition, but you get the 2 day delivery or digital credit bonus with Amazon.
Trism

Post by Trism »

I've had so many credits expire that I now choose faster shipping instead, every single time.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Trism wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:25 am I've had so many credits expire that I now choose faster shipping instead, every single time.
Don't worry, they're watching and will dangle another offer to see if you bite. It could be a higher digital reward, a bonus on Amazon Pantry or Amazon Fresh or something new. You adapt, so do they.

I've bought some marginal stuff because of the digital reward that I wouldn't have bought without it. Now it seems I have to have 2 or more items before the reward shows up, so I throw a questionable an item in the cart and wait to see if there is another. Sometimes there is, while other times, the price of the item rises and I remove it from the cart. I'm not sure if they think I'm buying more or buying less because of this offer, but I think it's less.

But like you, if it's something I need or want, it goes faster, credit or not. And they're using that data too.