What's this bug?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atikovi

What's this bug?

Post by atikovi »

Noticed this in my yard. About the size of a hornet, 2 inches long, but not a hornet. Looks and moves like a horsefly. Are they aggressive, dangerous or stinging?

jbuzolich

Re: What's this bug?

Post by jbuzolich »

Google suggests it's a robber fly, either promachus or asilus. Looks like they eat other resting insects like flies, bees, and butterflies.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Well that's just great, "if they're seriously perturbed, they can inflict a painful bite," If I don't already have to watch out for bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets in the yard, now this.
Chip

Post by Chip »

atikovi wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:43 am Well that's just great, "if they're seriously perturbed, they can inflict a painful bite," If I don't already have to watch out for bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets in the yard, now this.
I suggest not perturbing them. :)
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Seriously?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Yes; we have Cicada killer wasps around us. They look scary (huge) but unless you really interfere with them they are harmless. They can really do a number on Cicadas. I've seen them drag those for many feet and then into the ground.

There are a lot of things that will give you a mean bite if you get crosswise with them. Many non-venomous snakes come to mind. Some two year old children as well.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:15 am There are a lot of things that will give you a mean bite if you get crosswise with them. Many non-venomous snakes come to mind. Some two year old children as well.
I find it easy to avoid snakes and two year old children. Flying insects buzzing all around you, not as easy.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

atikovi wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:21 am
jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:15 am There are a lot of things that will give you a mean bite if you get crosswise with them. Many non-venomous snakes come to mind. Some two year old children as well.
I find it easy to avoid snakes and two year old children. Flying insects buzzing all around you, not as easy.
True; but I only worry about the things that are openly aggressive towards people. Around here, deer flies will go after you and ticks can kill you. Ticks I can solve but I don't think anyone has come up with a solution for deer flies.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
k b

Post by k b »

Stupid Q - how is this a 'personal consumer issue'? :D :D
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

If this thing bites you in a personal area. it's an issue.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic is locked (not a consumer issue).

Update: See below. --admin LadyGeek
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Upon further review, this thread is on-topic as a consumer issue - home and garden. See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
This thread is unlocked to continue the discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

atikovi wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:43 am Well that's just great, "if they're seriously perturbed, they can inflict a painful bite," If I don't already have to watch out for bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets in the yard, now this.
Spray permethrin.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

This should become a generic bug identification thread.

Who can find the coolest bug?
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

atikovi wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:31 am If this thing bites you in a personal area. it's an issue.
I bought a device called "bite away" on Amazon which apparently has been validated in a scientific trial as having some effectiveness against insect bites, if applied early. Basically, it heats up the bite area for a few seconds which reduces subsequent inflammation. Mosquitoes are a new thing swarming southern California :annoyed so I'm planning to use it next time I'm bitten. I'll report back on its effectiveness.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

jebmke wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:25 am Ticks I can solve but I don't think anyone has come up with a solution for deer flies.
Have you tried a "deer fly hat"? --vtMaps
Historical Fact: Justin Smith Morrill represented Vermont in congress, had a dog named 'Trump', and wrote legislation establishing the Land Grant Colleges.
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Looks like a giant yellow jacket.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Murder hornet: Murder hornets: USA's First male captured in Washington state

This is bad news for bees.

Update: The ID is incorrect. See posts below - it's a robber fly.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Your picture does look at lot like the picture in the murder hornet article. I'd suggest that you notify your local agricultural extension office - early eradication of this pest could be very important.
othermike27

Re:

Post by othermike27 »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:45 pm Your picture does look at lot like the picture in the murder hornet article. I'd suggest that you notify your local agricultural extension office - early eradication of this pest could be very important.
So, you think the picture in OP's post look like this one? https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/a ... ngton.html
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Well, I'm not allowed to see your picture. I do think the picture posted by the original poster is fairly similar to the one in the link from Lady Geek.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have see those and you are right a lot of similarities with bees!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
luckyducky99

Post by luckyducky99 »

k b

Post by k b »

k b wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am Stupid Q - how is this a 'personal consumer issue'? :D :D
Sorry, did not mean to create trouble. Was just a funny (?) remark. Glad to see that the discussion has been restored.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Robber flies are curious about you, but not curious in the sense that horse flies and deer flies are. The fact that the OP was able to get a great photo of this robber fly tells you that it is not a horse fly. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:15 pm Murder hornet: Murder hornets: USA's First male captured in Washington state

Based on the coloration of the legs, it looks a lot more like a robber fly than a murder hornet.

Either way, be glad it's not a tarantula hawk, which are often flying around in my yard. Wired magazine once profiled it as their absurd creature of the week, with the subtitle "If This Wasp Stings You, 'Just Lie Down and Start Screaming'"
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

That’s an Asilid (Robber) fly. They are pretty cool. They have excellent vision and snatch other bigs out of midair to eat. They will definitely bite you if you try to handle them (and it will hurt). They will not actively seek you out to attack.

It is not a murder hornet. That’s preposterous.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

I had this on my vacation home, property of 89 acres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoptena_cervi

Lipoptena cervi, the deer ked or deer fly, is a species of biting fly in the family of louse flies, Hippoboscidae. These flies are commonly encountered in temperate areas of Europe, Siberia, and northern China. They have been introduced to North America.[2] They are parasites of elk, deer, and other deer family members, burrowing through the fur and sucking the blood of the host animals. Adults are only 5–7 mm (0.20–0.28 in) in length and brownish in colour. Their bodies are flat and elastic, making their removal difficult. L. cervi is a poor flier and can only fly for short distances. Once the insect reaches its target, it sheds its wings and starts burrowing through the fur.

Although their life cycle depends on deer, they may on rare occasions bite humans, producing responses ranging from unnoticeable to highly allergic. Initially, the bite may be barely noticeable and leaves little or no trace. Within 3 days, the site may develop into a hard, reddened welt. The accompanying itch is intense and typically lasts 14 to 20 days. Occasionally, an itch papule may persist for up to a year.[3] The main annoyance in humans is the inconvenience and unpleasantness of removing keds from hair and clothes.

Anaplasma phagocytophilum, a Gram-negative, obligately intracellular bacterium that causes anaplasmosis, has been detected in L. cervi, as has Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme disease,[4] but whether the insect can serve as a vector is as yet unknown.
wfrobinette

Re:

Post by wfrobinette »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:45 pm Your picture does look at lot like the picture in the murder hornet article. I'd suggest that you notify your local agricultural extension office - early eradication of this pest could be very important.
Not even close!
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

AlphaLess wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:43 am
Spray permethrin.
Why? They are predatory insects that pose no harm to crops, property or people.

Indiscriminately spraying insecticide is foolish as it kills off valuable insects that keep our food supply healthy.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

random_walker_77 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:33 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:15 pm Murder hornet: Murder hornets: USA's First male captured in Washington state

Based on the coloration of the legs, it looks a lot more like a robber fly than a murder hornet.

Either way, be glad it's not a tarantula hawk, which are often flying around in my yard. Wired magazine once profiled it as their absurd creature of the week, with the subtitle "If This Wasp Stings You, 'Just Lie Down and Start Screaming'"
Wow! I mean, just WOW!
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

This is the first time in years I'm glad I live in upstate NY.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I call them Jerry Garcia flies. If you get a frontal picture, you might understand why.

But yes, they are robber flies. We've had them at our house for years.

I've come within 5-6 inches of them, but have never been bitten.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I identify insects by looking at form in addition to color. The "tail" was very close to a murder hornet.

Looking at this harder, I agree it's a robber fly and have updated my earlier post.