$3000 for COVID test!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ykcor

$3000 for COVID test!!!

Post by Ykcor »

Daughter and her husband went to walk-in clinic and got CV-19 screening tests around first of July. Both were asymptomatic. They paid $75 each now they get bill for three grand! One of their neighbor’s child got billed $9000. Same urgent care clinic using some lab in Miami. I told my son in law to report it to the Attorney General in the state where they live. I suspect these scams are going on all around the country.
wootwoot

Re: $3000 for COVID test!!!

Post by wootwoot »

Ykcor wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 pm Daughter and her husband went to walk-in clinic and got CV-19 screening tests around first of July. Both were asymptomatic. They paid $75 each now they get bill for three grand! One of their neighbor’s child got billed $9000. Same urgent care clinic using some lab in Miami. I told my son in law to report it to the Attorney General in the state where they live. I suspect these scams are going on all around the country.
Aren't covid tests free with insurance?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Ykcor wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 pm Daughter and her husband went to walk-in clinic and got CV-19 screening tests around first of July. Both were asymptomatic. They paid $75 each now they get bill for three grand! One of their neighbor’s child got billed $9000. Same urgent care clinic using some lab in Miami. I told my son in law to report it to the Attorney General in the state where they live. I suspect these scams are going on all around the country.
You might also report it to the AG in Florida.

Years ago, I noticed a TV ad that was clearly misleading fraudulent. It was being broadcast pretty frequently, as such things go.
The company was in Florida, and we are no where near Florida, but I was really annoyed in general even though it didn't affect us.
I contacted the Florida AG's office, and they called me back, and asked for more information.
I'll never know if it was anything to do with the complaint, but a few weeks later, the ad was changed, and the totally "misleading" part was gone.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Everyone who has ever used health care in America has some bad news for you
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

Kind of hard to believe. Ive seen absurdity plenty of times with healthcare service fees. And insurance. Negotiations. Etc. $3k for one lab test? Thatd be new. Especially given everything Ive heard about testing and costs.

Hard to keep this topic out of political commentary.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

You think that is HIGH????

Try $11,000. For a doctor!

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-do ... 1FyESZePng
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Health care in the US is a scam, the whole thing is a joke and needs to be overhauled.

I got a full check done in India a year ago, state of the art hospital, same Siemens multi million dollar equipment used.. cost me $75 for a battery of tests. Same thing would cost me $10,000 here... it's a joke.

oh, and I needed to get my crown replaced a few years ago, quote here in the US was something like $2000+, I got it done in India for $150 and the funny part was both were the same exact crowns manufactured by 3M. I also got the 3M warranty certificate. As I stated the whole thing is a scam.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

Seems pretty scammy, I would contest the charge.
This type of stuff (at a smaller scale) happens all the time. Two experiences I have had...

SCENARIO 1:
Me: Hi, my vaccine (not COVID) is covered by my insurance according to my insurance's website? So the charge will be nothing if I get this at your clinic, right? My insurance company is XYZ.
Office: Yes
2 weeks later... Bill in the mail for $160 for new patient paperwork.

Me: What is this, you said it was covered?
Office: We said the vaccine was covered, but as a new patient we had to take your height, weight, and history and that's not covered.
Me: That took 10 minutes and that's 160? Also, you knew you would have to do that when I asked you about the vaccine being covered, so why didn't you mention it?
Office: Sorry that's the way it is...

I ended up paying it, because $160 wasn't worth the fight.

SCENARIO 2:
Me on Phone: How much will this eye test cost?
Office: Your insurance should cover it.
Me: Let's assume it doesn't. How much?
Office: That's unlikely.
Me: Yea, but tell me the cost anyways.
Office: Should be like $150.
Me: Okay, schedule it.

Upon Arrival:
Office: Please sign this waiver for your eye test.
Waiver: "You agree to pay $150 or more if this test is not covered by your insurance."
Me: I can't agree to pay $150 or more, that could be a million dollars, can you tell me how much it costs?
Office: No
Me: Well I am not doing anything until you can, I will sit here in your waiting room until you get me someone that can.
Thirty minute wait later...
Accountant: Well it can vary, but it's usually around $200.
Me: Okay what is the cost in the WORST case scenario?
Accountant (runs math on a calculator): Okay, worst case scenario is $330.
Me: Okay, let's do the test.

2 weeks later.. bill for $770 arrives.
I called them and told them the history and that I would pay $330 if they wanted to charge that to my credit card, but not a dollar more. They refused to take a partial payment and told me they would just go through collections and hurt my credit score, so I better pay. I gave them one more chance to take $330 and they refused.
This was part of a major hospital system, and I just kept going further up the chain, and eventually after 12 calls (not an exaggeration), they waived the entire charge, I paid nothing at all, there was no impact on my credit, and they apologized to me.
student

Post by student »

Patzer wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:11 am Seems pretty scammy, I would contest the charge.
This type of stuff (at a smaller scale) happens all the time. Two experiences I have had...

SCENARIO 1:
Me: Hi, my vaccine (not COVID) is covered by my insurance according to my insurance's website? So the charge will be nothing if I get this at your clinic, right? My insurance company is XYZ.
Office: Yes
2 weeks later... Bill in the mail for $160 for new patient paperwork.

Me: What is this, you said it was covered?
Office: We said the vaccine was covered, but as a new patient we had to take your height, weight, and history and that's not covered.
Me: That took 10 minutes and that's 160? Also, you knew you would have to do that when I asked you about the vaccine being covered, so why didn't you mention it?
Office: Sorry that's the way it is...

I ended up paying it, because $160 wasn't worth the fight.

SCENARIO 2:
Me on Phone: How much will this eye test cost?
Office: Your insurance should cover it.
Me: Let's assume it doesn't. How much?
Office: That's unlikely.
Me: Yea, but tell me the cost anyways.
Office: Should be like $150.
Me: Okay, schedule it.

Upon Arrival:
Office: Please sign this waiver for your eye test.
Waiver: "You agree to pay $150 or more if this test is not covered by your insurance."
Me: I can't agree to pay $150 or more, that could be a million dollars, can you tell me how much it costs?
Office: No
Me: Well I am not doing anything until you can, I will sit here in your waiting room until you get me someone that can.
Thirty minute wait later...
Accountant: Well it can vary, but it's usually around $200.
Me: Okay what is the cost in the WORST case scenario?
Accountant (runs math on a calculator): Okay, worst case scenario is $330.
Me: Okay, let's do the test.

2 weeks later.. bill for $770 arrives.
I called them and told them the history and that I would pay $330 if they wanted to charge that to my credit card, but not a dollar more. They refused to take a partial payment and told me they would just go through collections and hurt my credit score, so I better pay. I gave them one more chance to take $330 and they refused.
This was part of a major hospital system, and I just kept going further up the chain, and eventually after 12 calls (not an exaggeration), they waived the entire charge, I paid nothing at all, there was no impact on my credit, and they apologized to me.
Very scary and I truly admire your persistence.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Makes me wonder if Medicare pays for the test.
grettman

Post by grettman »

mega317 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:10 am Everyone who has ever used health care in America has some bad news for you
Everyone....... :?
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic has run its course (general complaint, derailing into discussion of the US healthcare system) and has been locked. See Personal Consumer Issues:
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)