Visiting Oregon Coast

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
almostretired1965

Visiting Oregon Coast

Post by almostretired1965 »

Hi,

My wife and I were planning to visit the Oregon Coast starting next Thursday for about a week and a half, staying in Seaside, Newport, and Coos Bay. Anyway, with the on-going fire conditions and evacuations, we are leaning towards cancelling and/or postponing the visit.. We need to make the call on Monday at the latest and before we do so, I was wondering if anyone (particular those of you who live in the area) had any thoughts or suggestions.

FYI, we live in the Seattle area.

Thanks,

A
Point

Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Post by Point »

Current Air Quality Index

Seattle 220
Seaside 184
Newport 272
Coos bay 126

You might look at fire map, evac orders and routes.
kwahmaye

Post by kwahmaye »

almostretired1965 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:15 pm Hi,

My wife and I were planning to visit the Oregon Coast starting next Thursday for about a week and a half, staying in Seaside, Newport, and Coos Bay. Anyway, with the on-going fire conditions and evacuations, we are leaning towards cancelling and/or postponing the visit.. We need to make the call on Monday at the latest and before we do so, I was wondering if anyone (particular those of you who live in the area) had any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

A
The wife and I were going to fly into Portland Thursday and spend time in the Corvallis area then spend 4 days at cannon beach. We postponed.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

Thanks,

A
Certainly call first, but the forecast shows the Oregon beaches to have better air quality over the next few days: https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/09/ ... casts.html
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

almostretired1965 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:15 pm My wife and I were planning to visit the Oregon Coast starting next Thursday for about a week and a half, staying in Seaside, Newport, and Coos Bay. Anyway, with the on-going fire conditions and evacuations, we are leaning towards cancelling and/or postponing the visit.
My own inclination would be to responsibly stay out of the way. There are so many people who are now critically on the move in Oregon.

For your reading [dis]pleasure:
Fire Incidents Map
Air Quality Map
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

10% of Oregon’s population is under fire evacuation right now, and the air quality is extremely poor. I’d stay away until this mess is over.

https://fire.airnow.gov/
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

We are at the coast now, near Cannon Beach so northern coast, air is slowly improving and if the forecasted rains come on Tuesday or so, with a sizable amount of rain, that should be really helpful.

Unless another fire breaks out, I don’t think you would be in the way of first responders, but I don’t really know. I know the local businesses here would generally welcome you.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Thanks,

A
I would cancel immediately.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Trader Joe wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks,

A
I would cancel immediately.
Just watched the NBC Saturday Evening News. Cancel.

Any doubts, call the places you're booked at and see if they answer the phone. If they answer, talk with them and cancel.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I would hop on a plane and go somewhere with better air quality.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

I would cancel...very sad what has been happening.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

What it's like now doesn't really tell you about Monday and definitely doesn't tell you about a week from now. It all depends on wind direction. In all of the fire affected areas in the west there have been nice clear days and bad hazy days. If you are doing to be there for a week and a half you'll have some body (along with some rainy days).
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Displaced Oregonians will need the hotel room you give up. I love Newport and the Oregon coast, but now is not the time to go there.
GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 »

https://www.tripcheck.com/ shows the roads that are open or closed. It also has dot cameras (if power is on) to see live shots of the roads.
The humidity is up and the fire is slowing. I have gone thru most of the NW corner of Oregon this week for work and noticed no vacancy at alot of places. You should be fine if you still want to come, maybe ask res. desks if they need your rooms for displaced families?
John
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

dkdoy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:00 pm I would cancel...very sad what has been happening.
We were going to Newport/Lincoln City for a long weekend on September 25, partly in search of a possible future second home there. We have canceled for the time being. Truly sad.
Last edited by CardinalRule on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I'd skip it. I can tell you from personal experience that even a modest amount of smoke can cause breathing difficulties if you're outdoors for long, and it will certainly impede the views.

Our air quality near Spokane is 499 right now, abysmal. Visibility is probably only a third of a mile at most.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Godot

Post by Godot »

Thanks,

A
Portlander here, and frequent coastal visitor. I would cancel. Unless you can change plans and go to Astoria, OR - Long Beach, WA. Good air quality, beautiful beaches.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Godot wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks,

A
Portlander here, and frequent coastal visitor. I would cancel. Unless you can change plans and go to Astoria, OR - Long Beach, WA. Good air quality, beautiful beaches.
Godot, would you recommend the same for September 26 - i.e., skipping the Central Oregon Coast?
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

With a batch of rain and big wind changes, the smoke is virtually all gone from the entire coast and western valleys, and really just above everywhere except for directly downwind (east) of a few spots. No reason any more to hold off on visiting any part of the coast.
Godot

Post by Godot »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Thanks,

A
Godot, would you recommend the same for September 26 - i.e., skipping the Central Oregon Coast?
Looks like smoke has largely cleared now, both from the central coast (and from Portland). Thank god. Felt like I was breathing gravel for a few days. Have a good trip!
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Thanks,

A
It is beautiful here now. The skies are blue and the air is finally clean again. Next weekend looks beautiful.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Thanks for the advice folks, Enjoying a lovely weekend in Newport and Depoe Bay now, with fresh air. The only glitch was sitting in southbound construction traffic crossing the I-5 Interstate Bridge between Washington and Oregon. I think we’ll head back via Astoria. :D

Really have our eye on the Oregon central coast as a possible place to retire. We’ll see what happens, but for now it is a great place to visit.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:49 pm Thanks for the advice folks, Enjoying a lovely weekend in Newport and Depoe Bay now, with fresh air. The only glitch was sitting in southbound construction traffic crossing the I-5 Interstate Bridge between Washington and Oregon. I think we’ll head back via Astoria. :D

Really have our eye on the Oregon central coast as a possible place to retire. We’ll see what happens, but for now it is a great place to visit.
Not sure when you’re leaving but the bridge closure is finished this weekend and the traffic will be better barring anything crazy. But if you go through Astoria, stop and see the sea lions on the piers.