Google Voice - scheduled auto fwd to VM

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
WGP3

Google Voice - scheduled auto fwd to VM

Post by WGP3 »

I currently have two phones: One for work and one for personal use. I am thinking of ditching my work phone and only using my personal phone instead. I would be able to still access my work emails on my personal phone, but would like to find a way to have a separate work phone number, which I know I can do with Google Voice (GV).

My question is this: Is there a way to setup GV to automatically forward phone calls to VM on a scheduled basis (ie during "non-work hours") which I can adjust? I see that this is possible by paying extra for the G Suite for Voice, but I'd rather not pay that and get a bunch of extra features I wouldn't have a use for.

If there other alternatives to GV that can do this I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!
nalor511

Re: Google Voice - scheduled auto fwd to VM

Post by nalor511 »

With the personal/free version of GV you cannot set hours for do-not-disturb, it's either on or off.

If you use android, your phone itself may offer more advanced do-not-disturb settings, but I do not think it will allow you to set based on destination-number-called. Maybe just shell out for business G, unless your company already has a business G account, in which case maybe use that.

Other things that may do this, Line, Skype?
Topic Author
WGP3

Post by WGP3 »

Nalor511 - Thanks for the info. Have you used GV a lot before? Looks like the best option for my needs, just curious how reliable the service is.
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

I’ve used GV since Google rolled it out and it’s been reliable.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

It's a temporary solution, but do you have a Legacy account? Look for it on the Main Menu, (top left 3 horizontal lines), the last selection.

Under Phones, edit a forwarding number and under Advanced Settings, look for Ring Schedule.

It's not a complete solution depending on how you're managing your numbers and which/how your voicemail work, but you might be able to make it work for your situation.

Legacy has been around for some time now, and I expect they'll be pulling the plug anytime now, so be prepared.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

WGP3 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:47 pm I currently have two phones: One for work and one for personal use. I am thinking of ditching my work phone and only using my personal phone instead. I would be able to still access my work emails on my personal phone, but would like to find a way to have a separate work phone number, which I know I can do with Google Voice (GV).

My question is this: Is there a way to setup GV to automatically forward phone calls to VM on a scheduled basis (ie during "non-work hours") which I can adjust? I see that this is possible by paying extra for the G Suite for Voice, but I'd rather not pay that and get a bunch of extra features I wouldn't have a use for.

If there other alternatives to GV that can do this I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!
I do this. I have only one personal #. I have a free GV work number. I forward all calls to the GV work number to VM (and it also emails me a transcription when they come in). So I can immediately call someone back if the transcription makes it worthy. Great set up imo.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

A more permanent low cost solution might be using a SIP provider, but I haven't delved into this area myself.

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Time_Conditions
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

WGP3 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:56 am Nalor511 - Thanks for the info. Have you used GV a lot before? Looks like the best option for my needs, just curious how reliable the service is.
Yes I've been using it since it was a startup called GrandCentral, and it's been my only phone number given to contacts since late 2006
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

If all fails, you might look at dual sim solutions, but I'm not sure it can be easily done with one line, let alone two.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-d ... es-529470/

I would have thought scheduling forwarding times would be easy in iOS by now, but aside from Do Not Disturb, which is probably too broad, the only thing I found was patchwork of apps like Autosilent.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/autosilent/id474777148

You would lose caller ID, but if you choose to show GV number, you could block that during non-working hours.
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/9526789?hl=en
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I did it the opposite way. I ditched the personal phone and transferred my personal phone number to GV. I use the GV dialer app on my work phone.

GV is only as reliable as your WiFi or LTE connection which is to say worse than my cellular voice connection. Often calls cannot be placed or sound muddy. Changing to the native dialer on my work number fixed the problem. My office is deep inside the building so connection even on voice is spotty. I would say GV is a reliable service but cell service at my work is bad.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

mmmodem wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:33 pm I did it the opposite way. I ditched the personal phone and transferred my personal phone number to GV. I use the GV dialer app on my work phone.

GV is only as reliable as your WiFi or LTE connection which is to say worse than my cellular voice connection. Often calls cannot be placed or sound muddy. Changing to the native dialer on my work number fixed the problem. My office is deep inside the building so connection even on voice is spotty. I would say GV is a reliable service but cell service at my work is bad.
GV can use your cellular voice connection, even through the native dialer. It places and receives calls through voice, if you have it set that way. It needs a quick spurt of data to change your outgoing callerID (I think), but the call goes through the voice connection (not data), if that's how you want it.

You can also place calls via data if that's what you want.
3of3

Post by 3of3 »

i have an iPhone and use google voice as my work number. i work in IT so my gvoice app is always running. :oops:

i created a contact for my gvoice number so i can tell at glance if a call is work related or not. OP, at this point, you could send the call directly to VM just like any other call.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Not really a schedule, but I hate call volume with spam calls. Here's what I do, my phone only rings for people in my Google contacts. Handy for this time of year with all the spam political callers.

I turn off all call forwarding in the new google.voice, no phone is mapped. Then, I go into legacy google voice, and in groups, forward all "my contact" calls to whatever phone (home, mobile..etc). All other "anonymous" calls go to no device and do not get routed and forced to voicemail, which forces the "the google subscriber you have called..." blabber, they have to leave their name, but then there is no device to forward to, so it goes to voicemail after like 10 rings.

So when the phone rings, it's always someone I know, I can't emphasize how great this is. Then, I manage and add contacts I want in google voice if I want to receive calls going forward (I.E. doctors..etc)
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:49 pm
mmmodem wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:33 pm I did it the opposite way. I ditched the personal phone and transferred my personal phone number to GV. I use the GV dialer app on my work phone.

GV can use your cellular voice connection, even through the native dialer. It places and receives calls through voice, if you have it set that way. It needs a quick spurt of data to change your outgoing callerID (I think), but the call goes through the voice connection (not data), if that's how you want it.

You can also place calls via data if that's what you want.
You're correct. I should've stated that I use an iPhone. The implementation of GV is much better on my Android phone. I think it fully integrated with the native dialer so that everything was seamless and works through cellular voice. You can set the caller-id to either show your phone number or your GV number.

On my work issued iPhone, it often says cannot connect due to no data. I could've dialed my GV number and then the outgoing number and it would've worked through the native dialer. But I can't be bothered to dial 20+ digits for a phone call. That's the only way to show the GV number in caller-id.
Topic Author
WGP3

Post by WGP3 »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:13 pm
WGP3 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:56 am Nalor511 - Thanks for the info. Have you used GV a lot before? Looks like the best option for my needs, just curious how reliable the service is.
Yes I've been using it since it was a startup called GrandCentral, and it's been my only phone number given to contacts since late 2006
Good to know, thanks!
Topic Author
WGP3

Post by WGP3 »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am It's a temporary solution, but do you have a Legacy account? Look for it on the Main Menu, (top left 3 horizontal lines), the last selection.

Under Phones, edit a forwarding number and under Advanced Settings, look for Ring Schedule.

It's not a complete solution depending on how you're managing your numbers and which/how your voicemail work, but you might be able to make it work for your situation.

Legacy has been around for some time now, and I expect they'll be pulling the plug anytime now, so be prepared.
Thanks for the tip, I got that to work through legacy voice so will try that for now.