How to watch Football (NFL/NCAA) this Season ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
confusedinvestor

How to watch Football (NFL/NCAA) this Season ?

Post by confusedinvestor »

Hi BH Sports Fan,

Is YoutubeTV the best way to watch all NFL and Collage Football games online/streaming ?

I had YouTube TV but paused it when they increased the fee from 55 to 65. Are these any other options ?

If not, I will resume my YTTV. Thanks again!

ps: I thought Sling is a good option but not all local channels are available w/o an Outside Antenna where playoffs will be air'd...
regularguy455

Re: How to watch Football (NFL/NCAA) this Season ?

Post by regularguy455 »

I too am angry at the telecom-esqe behavior of Google with their price hikes of YTTV. But let’s face facts - YTTV is a great product. You can try and mess around with an antenna or use other services but for a couple bucks more, you can get YTTV. It’s better in every way.
Topic Author
confusedinvestor

regularguy455 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 pm I too am angry at the telecom-esqe behavior of Google with their price hikes of YTTV. But let’s face facts - YTTV is a great product. You can try and mess around with an antenna or use other services but for a couple bucks more, you can get YTTV. It’s better in every way.

Thanks regularguy455.

Yep, I'm not a tech savvy person, so I dont want to mess w an antenna with Sling.

I guess my only "best-value" option is YTTV, at this point, given, this pandemic took a toll on my "mental" peace, I'm looking forward to the big day tomorrow for the 1st NFL game of this season. I'll resume my YTTV tomorrow...
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

I dropped YTTV after their last price hike. Don't miss the bill.

Can watch NFL games through Yahoo sports app now
https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/live-video/

Post by 123 »

In many areas you can get the best picture with an over-the-air antenna (indoor/outdoor). All streaming/cable/satellite services use additional compression codecs that diminish picture quality.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

Yes i use an OTA antenna and a Firecast DVR. I dont get the college football games on ESPN, but ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS all have college football, and then FOX, CBS, and NBC have football on sundays. The antenna plust dvr is about 3 months of YTTV, or 1.5 months of cable
sedonashine

Post by sedonashine »

Locast!!!!!!!.....it's on my roku...replaces the need for the digital antenna...Clark Howard has a review...it's free https://clark.com/streaming-tv/locast-review/
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

I know I will get a lot of @#$%^ for this,but if you want to go beyond the antenna,Directv has excellent picture quality and access to all the football you could want.
I tried free trials of Hulu live and You Tube and the picture quality for sports was terrible.
I do not mind spending a little more for better quality and selection.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Topic Author
confusedinvestor

jason2459 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:41 pm I dropped YTTV after their last price hike. Don't miss the bill.

Can watch NFL games through Yahoo sports app now
https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/live-video/
Oh my god.

I just resumed YTTV, I'm going to test out the app tomorrow and then, perhaps pause the YTTV again.

thank you.
Topic Author
confusedinvestor

123 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:49 pm In many areas you can get the best picture with an over-the-air antenna (indoor/outdoor). All streaming/cable/satellite services use additional compression codecs that diminish picture quality.
Maybe long term it is better is invest on an OTA antenna. Is the setup hard ?
Boxcrusher81

Post by Boxcrusher81 »

I also use an outdoor OTA antenna with a TIVO DVR. The antenna and professional install was $220. I bought the DVR a couple years ago with a lifetime subscription for $399 total. I have the free Pluto TV app which gives me NFL network and some additional college games.

I live in a suburb of Las Vegas and last year it was a rotation with my friends consisting of Charlie’s (Wynn), Beer Park (Paris hotel rooftop), and Blondies (Miracle Mile Shops). Super bowl viewing was at Lagasses (Venetian/Palazzo). I’ll be playing it safe at home this year.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

You can plug a digital antenna into your TV and set the receiver in a nearby window. They're dirt cheap ($25). A 7 year old could do it.

If you don't want the thing in your window permanently you can set it up on Sundays only. It's pretty unassuming with blinds and valances, etc.

Granted the antenna might not work perfectly depending upon window direction, weather, etc. but for a couple bucks it's an option. And the picture quality is insanely good; sports is incredible on it.

I'd have one solely just because - though I pretty much only use it for football.

Amazon Prime used to have some football. Sunday night? Monday? Maybe Thursday night? Unsure this season.
Topic Author
confusedinvestor

gr7070 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:45 pm You can plug a digital antenna into your TV and set the receiver in a nearby window. They're dirt cheap ($25). A 7 year old could do it.
Can you please advise what brand of digital antenna you use and where you bought it from ?

I've a non-smart old Sony TV and where do I plug in my antenna into my TV ? HDMI port ?
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

confusedinvestor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 pm
gr7070 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:45 pm You can plug a digital antenna into your TV and set the receiver in a nearby window. They're dirt cheap ($25). A 7 year old could do it.
Can you please advise what brand of digital antenna you use and where you bought it from ?

I've a non-smart old Sony TV and where do I plug in my antenna into my TV ? HDMI port ?
No need to spend a lot. I use a simple RCA antenna from Wal-Mart. Cost about $10-12. Works great. My TV has a port for the antenna separate from the HDMI ports. Look at your TV and look for a round port - the antenna plugs right in this. I think you'll be surprised how good the local channels appear using a cheap antenna.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Topic Author
confusedinvestor

fsrph wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:34 pm
confusedinvestor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 pm

No need to spend a lot. I use a simple RCA antenna from Wal-Mart. Cost about $10-12. Works great. My TV has a port for the antenna separate from the HDMI ports. Look at your TV and look for a round port - the antenna plugs right in this. I think you'll be surprised how good the local channels appear using a cheap antenna.

Francis
Francis,

thank you, i will head out to Walmart this weekend and give this a shot and followup....
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

confusedinvestor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:48 pm Hi BH Sports Fan,

Is YoutubeTV the best way to watch all NFL and Collage Football games online/streaming ?

I had YouTube TV but paused it when they increased the fee from 55 to 65. Are these any other options ?

If not, I will resume my YTTV. Thanks again!

ps: I thought Sling is a good option but not all local channels are available w/o an Outside Antenna where playoffs will be air'd...
All the BYU games are on ESPN. Are there any other games to even watch? Hopefully Army puts on a better game than Navy did.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
rich126

Post by rich126 »

A simple old fashioned uhf/vhf is all you need. It should connect to the back of the tv in the antenna connector.

You might be able to use a cheap $10 indoor antenna if you have good reception. Don’t get caught up in fancy hdtv terms. The signals are sent in the same frequency range as old channels.

https://www.techhive.com/article/332284 ... tters.html

I honestly don’t know how this can be legal but bilasports on the web has sports on. I just watched a baseball game. Nothing to download.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

confusedinvestor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 pm
123 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:49 pm In many areas you can get the best picture with an over-the-air antenna (indoor/outdoor). All streaming/cable/satellite services use additional compression codecs that diminish picture quality.
Maybe long term it is better is invest on an OTA antenna. Is the setup hard ?
You need to physically run a cable between antenna and the TV tuner. YMMV. Some are lucky that a leaf antenna next to the TV tuner can have good reception. Others are unlucky and may require a roof-top (or attic) antenna. The factors to consider are the direction and distance to each TV tower, the height of your antenna, any impediment between TV tower and antenna.

In my case, I needed a bigger antenna. I went up to the attic and located existing cables running between all the rooms and the central TV box. I cut one that I don't use and hook it to the antenna.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I was really bummed when NFL Redzone pulled out of Sling. I used to sign up for Sling for a few months at $25/mo. Now I’ll be stuck signing up for YTTV again at $65/mo.

Oh well.

There are some less than scrupulous streams available on Reddit if you know where to look.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:08 am I was really bummed when NFL Redzone pulled out of Sling. I used to sign up for Sling for a few months at $25/mo. Now I’ll be stuck signing up for YTTV again at $65/mo.

Oh well.

There are some less than scrupulous streams available on Reddit if you know where to look.
Plus $10 for RedZone in the sports package.

I really miss PlayStation Vue. Terrible branding. Awesome product.
eob616

Post by eob616 »

You may want to check first to see what stations you can get over the air. When I've lived in large cities, I tend to have lots of options. In smaller cities with few local stations or ones with difficult topography (deep in a valley, etc.), I've found very few OTA channels, even with a good antenna. Try searching your location on something like www.antennaweb.org.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Just noting here something I learned about this as it relates to local channels, specifically ABC. We dropped our DirecTV a while back, went some months without anything. Finally a few months ago I got Sling because I wanted to watch the NBA playoffs. We also have an OTA antenna, but it will not pull in our local ABC station. I've found thus far every NBA game that's being broadcast on ABC is also being shown on the ESPN app, which you get access to with a Sling subscription.

:sharebeer