Palm Desert golf

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sixty40

Palm Desert golf

Post by sixty40 »

Hello All,

We plan on taking a "guys" trip to Palm Desert in early November this year, can anyone recommend nice golf course to play? Maybe courses if cost is a consideration, and courses where cost is no consideration. I have never golfed at Palm Desert or Palm Springs.
We plan on staying at Marriott Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves, and I understand they have a nice course on property.

Thanks in advance.
Rcf

Re: Palm Desert golf

Post by Rcf »

SilverRock in La Quinta is very nice.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Desert Willow in Palm Desert--they have two courses. The Classic is a beautiful course, but if there is wind in the valley, it will be one of the windier courses. Good food and Happy Hour. If you belong to a private club elsewhere, you may have reciprocals with some of the private clubs in the valley...of which there are many! We live at Heritage Palms (Jefferson and Fred Waring) during the winter. My husband loves the course and it's the reason we bought there ; it's an Arthur Hills designed course and they do allow limited "outside" play. I've heard Silver Rock is nice, though I've never played it....just watch out for the Bighorn sheep!

Note that nearly all the courses do overseeding in October, so they open at various times during late October and early November and may require you to stay on the cart paths at all times. Many of the Golf Course Superintendants are very protective of their new grass on the fairways, as well as their greens.
Topic Author
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

Thank you for the replies.

Gnirk, thanks for noting the cart path only golf issue, I would rather not do that so I will need to ask the courses. I actually walk and carry my bag at my local muni courses and I really enjoy that, but my friends are cart golf people and I assume most courses in Palm Desert and Palm Springs would require carts anyway, or even if you walk they will charge for the cart.
dcare

Post by dcare »

You will have some great golf available to you.
Do watch out for courses being closed for overseeding.
My list of courses for visiting friends and their aggregated ratings:
1) Classic Club - yes, do watch out for windy days, but even with that still one of the best
2) Desert Willow - Firecliff
3) Indian Canyon South - get an 8:15 ish tee time and then a 1 pm lunch reservation at Spencer's restaurant just down the road
4) La Qunita Mountain
I am not a big fan of Shadow Ridge - very undulating greens, but it is well maintained.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

What handicap level are you? There's a world of difference.

The courses played in the Bob Hope are of varying difficulty. There are also the local Q-school courses. The course used for the Dinah Shore is super private -- most of the private courses in the area allow the public to pay to play in July and August (most years) but I've tried to get onto that course for most of the past decade and haven't been able to.

Most of my golf in the area is played on a budget. I started going to the area to play golf during the summer when I was in graduate school a few hours' drive away from the city. Palm Desert in the summer is one of my favorite time-places in the world.

Heritage Palms is fun. You might have difficulty getting onto the course in November unless you know a member. I play there most summers (2020 excepted). Tahquitz Creek Resort has two 18s; resort course is very nice, Legends is an upscale municipal. Both are fun.

Mission Hills - Pete Dye course is fantastic. It is my favorite in the area and is easily in my top 3 among courses I have ever played (the three are sufficiently different that I don't have a real way to compare them and decide an ordering in the top 3). I have heard the Gary Player course is great too, but every time I go to play it, I decide to play the Pete Dye course. I try to play the Pete Dye course on my birthday every year. They don't offer birthday specials.

Shadow Mountain is great, but long hitters and/or low handicap players might not appreciate it as much. From the tips, it's under 5400 yards. It's a Gene Sarazen design and when I play there, I try to set up to hit a 4-wood into the par-5s for my second shot, just in case. :-)
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Topic Author
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

We are not good golfers, I am the best of the bunch and I am a 11 handicap, so we are really just out there to play some golf and have a good time, but since we don't get together much we like to play nicer (scenic) courses. We usually play tees under 6500 yards.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Classic Club is one of my favorites. I don't know what the situation is now with COVID, but they have a great elevated patio for post-golf lunch too.

Cimarron in Cathedral City an Escena near the airport are nice "budget" golf options that are still good courses usually in good condition. Note that "budget" or "cheap" is a relative term in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. You aren't going to find a nice $25 muni in November like you would in Podunkville.

Also keep in mind that most courses will be doing overseeding in the next couple of months. They will be closed during varying dates (usually a few weeks) and will be cartpath-only for a few weeks once they reopen. You will want to inquire with the individual course as to when their overseeding re-opening is and what if any cartpath restrictions there will be during your visit. In early November there may be some courses still under cartpath restrictions. Personally, unless they are going to let me walk the course and I am the first group off the tee in the morning, I will not play a course during cartpath-only restrictions.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Mission Hills - Gary Player course hands down favorite.

Agree with Canyon South for wind free golf.

If you are an equipment junkie try Golf Alley on Cook for used clubs.

Pete Carlson’s Golf on 111 for new.
Topic Author
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

Thanks for your input, I will look into these courses.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I have nothing to add but, have a good trip. I love playing golf, especially since my 13 y.o. son has taken to the game. Let us know where you end up.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

sixty40 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:09 pm Hello All,

We plan on taking a "guys" trip to Palm Desert in early November this year, can anyone recommend nice golf course to play? Maybe courses if cost is a consideration, and courses where cost is no consideration. I have never golfed at Palm Desert or Palm Springs.
We plan on staying at Marriott Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves, and I understand they have a nice course on property.

Thanks in advance.
I have played the course on the property. It is very nice with desert features and elevation changes that are interesting. Pair it with a day when you want to stay at the resort and bbq or drink. For budget, you can hit Costco to pick up some tomahawks (or dogs) and grill them to eat while watching the sunset. I have good memories of going out on the course at magic hour after the golfers have finished to hit a few balls with my kid.

I’ve played La Quinta Mountain. Very nice since you are at the base of the mountain

The sister Marriott property Desert Springs has 3 courses. It was good golf, really good golf. I don’t remember too much character, meaning it is probably great for good and practicing players alike. The fairways were not wide per se, but had width forgiveness between them. Cool bar atrium that is more social than anything you would find at Shadow Ridge.