Repair plasma television or get new TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ossipago

Repair plasma television or get new TV?

Post by ossipago »

I have and really like my Samsung PN51F8500, the last generation plasma model before it was discontinued. It's been our main display for over five years with no issues, and probably has 8000-10000 display hours. It's now started to display some issues that likely indicate some internal electronic issues (difficulty powering on, random restarts). Samsung is well known for using cheap capacitors, and either a bulging capacitor or cold solder joint is the most likely culprit.

My dilemma is whether it's worth repairing the plasma or not. If the issue is the most likely case, it can probably be fixed for $100-200, and we would be looking to get at least 2 extra year out of it. (I'd pay someone to do it, as I have neither the equipment nor expertise to solder on new components.) The alternative is to get a new TV. I think only OLED would be a suitable substitute for plasma, especially the deep blacks we prefer. OLEDs in the sub-60 range seem to sell for $1500, which is a hefty price tag. We can afford it, but I didn't want to upgrade now as I think OLED has a lot of room to increase in quality while decreasing in price in coming years.

Has anyone gone to the trouble of repairing an existing TV in similar circumstances? Or should I just let this go? I know part of my reluctance is emotional, but repairs also seem to make some economical sense in this case.

Re: Repair plasma television or get new TV?

Post by 123 »

The trend in digital TVs is that each year they get larger, better, and cheaper. That said any repair is most likely going to require that a component, circuit board, power supply, etc be replaced. If the TV is still covered by a warranty (manufacturer, retailer, credit card, or purchased service contract) of course I would get it repaired. If the TV is more than 3 or 4 years old I would expect that the it is more economical in the long run to replace the TV than to repair it.

We had a digital TV repaired under warranty a couple of years ago. When the service guy opened the TV up there were only a couple of components inside, in our case he just swapped the main circuit board for a new one, problem solved. I think the repair people just swap parts because it's a faster and more reliable process than trying to identify a problem in a circuit board and fix it on the spot. I'm sure if we had to pay out-of-pocket for the part and service call it would have been likely 50% or more of the current cost of a similar TV.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

That does sound like power supply capacitor problems, although Samsung said in 2012 that capacitor problems were limited to 2006-2008 tvs, and yours is a 2013. Doesn't mean the capacitors didn't fail, of course, plasma tvs put out a lot of heat and capacitors don't care for heat.

I think it's probably worth calling around to local TV/electronics repair places and see if they'll give you an estimate over the phone / describe what they'd do to debug and how much that would cost. The capacitors in question are pretty big, so not too challenging / time consuming to remove and replace, but if it's other component problems, it might get time consuming and expensive for a professional to diagnose. Replacement boards may be hard to come by, too. If you can see through the back of the case, maybe you can guestimate if the capacitors visible are bulging or not.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am Samsung is well known for using cheap capacitors, and either a bulging capacitor or cold solder joint is the most likely culprit.
Seems I recall a few years back that there was a rash of sub-par capacitors hitting the market that affected a lot of gear. In any case, yes, if your TV has a few years on it (Samsung exited the plasma market in 2013), it's quite possible that you have some capacitors that are aging to the point of needing replacement.

Replacing capacitors on a circuit board is not that big a deal once you get the circuit board out of the unit, and if you're lucky the culprits will show signs of expansion due to heat and age (the top of the metal can will be bulging upward). But if you're not handy with a soldering iron and experienced with desoldering components on boards with thin traces, I'd get someone who is to try it. It's all too easy to destroy thin PC board traces with an overly hot iron or overly aggressive desoldering techniques, especially on boards that have some age and history of heating. (Been there, done that. :annoyed ) On the other hand, if you're ready to consign the set to the junk pile and replace it, then you're not really risking anything attempting the repair, so I'd suggest giving it a try. At worst, you'll have to replace the set, which you're contemplating doing anyway. At best, you get some extra life out of your plasma TV.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

As other have said, highly likely it's an electrolytic capacitor somewhere in the system. Even when they are "high quality", they still tend to have the shortest lifespans vs. other components in any electronic system.

I have a friend who has a business fixing circuit boards for appliances (for the trade). Says 90% of what comes into his shop is, you guess it, nothing more than a bad capacitor....
Chip

Post by Chip »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am Has anyone gone to the trouble of repairing an existing TV in similar circumstances? Or should I just let this go? I know part of my reluctance is emotional, but repairs also seem to make some economical sense in this case.
I have. My TV is a PN50A550, which I think I bought in 2008. The symptoms on mine were green screens on startup with a loud screeching sound, followed by multiple restarts. Often the TV would then work for a while before a new bout of the same issue.

I was able to find a YouTube video for that exact problem that showed how to test the voltages on one of the ICs on the main board to see if it was bad, which mine was. Note that my issue was NOT due to a capacitor problem.

I was going to attempt to replace the IC myself, but I wasn't able to buy the correct part. But I found a repair service on ebay. I shipped the board to the service, they repaired it for $50 and sent it back. That was 3 years ago; it has worked well ever since, though it is no longer the primary TV.

The toughest part of the process was sifting through all of the YouTube videos to find one that was on point. It appears to me that there are many different problems that can occur. If you are going to pull a circuit board and send it off you have to at least narrow it down to the right board. If I remember correctly there are 4 boards in our TV. Though it does seem from the videos that power cycling is typically a main board issue.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

My 47" TV gave up the ghost a couple years ago. eBay sells a replacement board for $200. If I send back my failed board afterwards, they'll give me back $50. Essentially, they charge me $150 and they replace the bad capacitor on my failed board to sell to the next customer. I'm no good with soldering and this seemed like a decent price to me.

But an entry level 50" 4k TV can be had for $200, I decided not to repair my TV.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-50-C ... U/44829924
This new television had a bigger screen but is physically smaller because of thinner bezels, higher refresh rates, higher resolution, and used less electricity. I chose the cheap TV and it was vastly superior to my mid tier model of yore.

I wanted OLED but like you, I'm not quite ready to bite just yet.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

All TV power supplies stress bulk electrolytic capacitors. This is not new. Back in the day, when looking at supplies at Electro in Boston (late 80's, early 90's), I was a power supply engineer at DEC, where we always provided adequate voltage margin for caps. Out of all the supplies I looked at from power companies and in equipment, there were zero properly sized for input voltage. Bulging caps are not a result of regular use and proper spec'ing. It's from choosing a voltage spec that's too low and/or overheating the caps. If you want to be adventurous and would like to try it yourself, replace all the power supply bulk caps. They're easy to spot as they're big and on the input side. Go up a voltage level. So if they're 200V, get 250V. Same or somewhat bigger uF value is fine. So a 1000 uF changed to 2000 uF is also fine.

As all components in TVs these days are garbage, it is quite possible that this won't fix your TV. If you bring it to a repair shop, they're going to diagnose it to the board level. Since it's more than one year old, eBay is the only place you'll find a replacement board and it'll cost what a new TV costs. Only enthusiast technicians doing repairs on the side would go to the component level and find the root cause of the problem and fix that. Good luck finding someone like that anymore.

So from a cost perspective......throw it out and buy a new TV.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
762NateOh

Post by 762NateOh »

When it comes to electronics, I try to buy the newest/best thing there is at the time of need. There is always something else on the horizon, or a reason to wait for the next model.

As an owner of an OLED (C7, so older), I'm simply blown away by it. I got a reasonable deal on my TV back in 2017, but I paid a bit more than you can find a CX for now, and we are entering the prime TV buying season so likely to go even lower. OLED's seem to have trended down in price the last few years.

My vote - get a new TV.
jminv

Post by jminv »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am I have and really like my Samsung PN51F8500, the last generation plasma model before it was discontinued. It's been our main display for over five years with no issues, and probably has 8000-10000 display hours. It's now started to display some issues that likely indicate some internal electronic issues (difficulty powering on, random restarts). Samsung is well known for using cheap capacitors, and either a bulging capacitor or cold solder joint is the most likely culprit.

My dilemma is whether it's worth repairing the plasma or not. If the issue is the most likely case, it can probably be fixed for $100-200, and we would be looking to get at least 2 extra year out of it. (I'd pay someone to do it, as I have neither the equipment nor expertise to solder on new components.) The alternative is to get a new TV. I think only OLED would be a suitable substitute for plasma, especially the deep blacks we prefer. OLEDs in the sub-60 range seem to sell for $1500, which is a hefty price tag. We can afford it, but I didn't want to upgrade now as I think OLED has a lot of room to increase in quality while decreasing in price in coming years.

Has anyone gone to the trouble of repairing an existing TV in similar circumstances? Or should I just let this go? I know part of my reluctance is emotional, but repairs also seem to make some economical sense in this case.
I would get the new OLED tv. Your current TV is inferior to what is out there now, isn't reliable, and even if you're able to fix one issue you'll probably just end up with another. I used to pay and fix highly to fully depreciated household electronic items until I realized that it wasn't really doing anything for me. They'd still break down the line and, in any case, when a TV breaks it's a good time to upgrade. Also, paying someone to come out to try to fix it isn't a guarantee that it'll solve the problem but you'll still be out of money. Had that issue with a wine fridge and a TV in the past.

No reason to wait on TVs for the latest model. They're constantly getting new bells and whistles, which is nothing new. I like buying TVs from Sams Club (to see the image quality) but I see that Amazon currently has better pricing on OLEDs in your size range so I guess I'd buy it there after finding a TV I liked somewhere else.

If the problems allow you wait a bit, ie you can stand it, you could buy your new TV on black friday/cyber Monday for what's probably going to be a better deal. Maybe.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

20 years ago, there used to be a good half dozen places here that repaired televisions. These days there are exactly zero. The only way to get a television repaired is to send the entire thing off to someplace that will just swap components and it certainly isn't worth the cost to do that. I would be surprised if you could get a capacitor replaced for under $200 by anyone other than yourself.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

There are very few scenarios where a modern TV makes any sense to replace. They keep getting better and cheaper so quickly that you could likely get a new unit that is just as good (if not better) for almost what it costs to repair. I'd posit that you would be perfectly happy with a $600 LCD with local dimming. You'll go from 1080p to 4k in the process with much better image processing capabilities.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Enjoy the new TV.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My 63" Samsung plasma PN63B550T2F, manufactured in July 2009, is still going strong. When I first got it, this model had a problem with a noisy power supply. At high current draw, i.e. white picture, you could hear the supply buzz from across the room. At the time, it was a common problem with the design.

I convinced Samsung to do a warranty electronics board replacement. It helped, but didn't fix the problem. (All service was done in-home.)

The display draws close to 500 Watts of power at full brightness. That's a lot of heat to dump in a room.

Glass is heavy. The display is 116 lb. and will be a "challenge" to move, to say the least.

OTOH, the quality of a plasma display can't be matched. However, I'm curious to see what the OLED displays can do.

If it fails, I'll replace it due to heat, power supply buzz, and weight concerns.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:06 am There are very few scenarios where a modern TV makes any sense to replace. They keep getting better and cheaper so quickly that you could likely get a new unit that is just as good (if not better) for almost what it costs to repair. I'd posit that you would be perfectly happy with a $600 LCD with local dimming. You'll go from 1080p to 4k in the process with much better image processing capabilities.
Electricity consumption could be as much as 90% lower?

It really depends on how much one watches TV. A couple of hours a day? Then the effect won't be noticeable.

On all the time (12 hours a day)? Then it might well be.**

The "instant on" feature had a big impact on power consumption. Post an Act signed by President Bush (in 2004?), US appliances are now all much more efficient - US was ahead of Europe in this regard.

** if one lives in a heating-intensive part of North America, some of that is lost because the "waste" heat is heating. Albeit natural gas heating is c. 30% of the cost of electric heating per kwhr (might be even lower at US gas prices). Conversely less load on the AC side, but if the AC has a Coefficient of Performance of 3.0, say, then it's only going to cost another 1/3rd of kwhr for that extra cooling.
hnd

Post by hnd »

I have 2 Panasonic Plasmas in our house a 60" S series in the basement for the kids and a 46" V Series in the garage. both are well over 10 years old and eventually were relegated out of the main tv spot. the Vseries had an issue where i had to take it in. since i considered this tv the cadillac of tv's i took it to get repaired. the guy was like we dont' repair a ton of tvs and have expanded into other repair services (phones and what not). it was 500 bucks for some small thing to get repaired. the tv still runs so the repair was worth it, but that guy is out of business. I bought a 6 series TCL on a black friday and i've never been happier.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

If you get a sense of joy and satisfaction from fixing things, I’d spend the money. I like learning how things work and broken appliances are an excuse to do this. If you don’t, buying a new TV is a no brainer.
wander

Post by wander »

Whenever anything electronics fails, it would be a good reason for me to get a brand new one. It doesn't happen often however.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am OLEDs in the sub-60 range seem to sell for $1500, which is a hefty price tag. We can afford it, but I didn't want to upgrade now as I think OLED has a lot of room to increase in quality while decreasing in price in coming years.
OLED picture quality is outstanding and year over year improvements are tiny. (Compare rtings or CNET scores of OLED TVs from 4-5 years ago with current models - basically identical). And LG is the only one making OLED panels for TVs (even for Sony and now Vizio sets) so prices aren't dropping quickly. The Vizio 55-inch is listed at $1300, no doubt even less when the sales start.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

You can buy a 50” LED 4K TCL for $248. You can get a 50” 4K LED Samsung for about $300. Time to say goodbye to the plasma.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:28 am You can buy a 50” LED 4K TCL for $248. You can get a 50” 4K LED Samsung for about $300. Time to say goodbye to the plasma.
OP values plasma's deep blacks. Budget LCDs will have much poorer blacks, especially as they don't have the advanced local dimming features that give more expensive LCD TVs better blacks/contrast ratios. For someone who cares a lot about picture quality and can afford the $1300-1500 for a 55-inch, OLED is the way to go.
Topic Author
ossipago

Post by ossipago »

Yes, I don't consider anything other than OLED a reasonable replacement for plasma. The black levels, contrast, "natural" color gamut, and smooth motion are second to none. OLED is superior on some but not all of these factors.

I have found a local repairperson with experience in my exact model of plasma that works at the component level, not the board level. He can do capacitor, fuse, etc. replacements directly as well as resolder connections. Prices seems reasonable. I'm still torn, though, given the feedback.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I could replace components but I wouldn't bother.

Why? The failure might not be obvious. Replacement might cause other damage. It's not an interesting project. The value of a successful repair is small compared to the effort. New TVs are excellent and cheap. Thin is in.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Buy a new one.
Fix the old TV and retire it to the garage or elsewhere.

Old TV draws 700+ watts
New ones just a trickle plus have "smart" capabilities.
Enjoy.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am It's now started to display some issues that likely indicate some internal electronic issues (difficulty powering on, random restarts). Samsung is well known for using cheap capacitors, and either a bulging capacitor or cold solder joint is the most likely culprit.
I'd doubt a cold solder joint would be a problem at this point. You'll never find it.

Can you describe the power on "difficulty" and "random restart" in more detail?

You're assuming that the problem is with a cap in the primary power supply - the most likely spot. It could be a cap in a regulation circuit somewhere else that's triggering the restart. Or, you have more than one thing failing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I had a 2010 Panasonic Plasma that had a similar issue.

As others have mentioned, I identified the board that needed repair, spent about 10 minutes unscrewing the back of the TV and removing the board, and I sent it to an Ebay shop that repaired it for $100.

After the repair, I used the TV for 5 years with no problem. I gave it to a neighbor when I moved and he is still enjoying it. Replaced with with LG C9 OLED and while the OLED is better overall, its not all that much better than the plasma. The blacks are certainly better, but motion handling on the Plasma was better than the OLED. If I weren't moving, I would have kept the plasma
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:05 am Yes, I don't consider anything other than OLED a reasonable replacement for plasma. The black levels, contrast, "natural" color gamut, and smooth motion are second to none. OLED is superior on some but not all of these factors.

I have found a local repairperson with experience in my exact model of plasma that works at the component level, not the board level. He can do capacitor, fuse, etc. replacements directly as well as resolder connections. Prices seems reasonable. I'm still torn, though, given the feedback.
If the repair works and is under $300, I'd do it. You can't replace a plasma. More than $300, maybe you can get a temporary LED and sell the plasma for parts.

Or juat be happy and spend the money. I personally am not that into my tvs looks and was fine downgrading to LED.
Chip

Post by Chip »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:05 am Yes, I don't consider anything other than OLED a reasonable replacement for plasma. The black levels, contrast, "natural" color gamut, and smooth motion are second to none. OLED is superior on some but not all of these factors.

Here are the factors I would consider. You may feel differently.

1. You will eventually buy an OLED TV. How much will the prices come down if you get 3 more years out of your plasma?
2. How much will you spend on electricity in 3 years if you repair the plasma vs. buying the OLED?
3. How much does it bother you to consign repairable electronics to the landfill/recycler?
4. Will the OLED TV give you an even better viewing experience than the plasma?
5. Can you use the repaired plasma in another room once you buy the OLED?
6. You have what appears to be a competent repair person available.

Even though I repaired mine, we also bought a replacement TV. If I remember the sequence of events correctly I told my wife I was going to fix the plasma by soldering some new chips onto one of the circuit boards. Her response was "Great! We're buying a new TV before you bring a screwdriver within 10 feet of it." :D

The repaired plasma went into a bedroom where it replaced a 15 year old tube TV. That was fun to try to dispose of.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Anyone who appreciates the intense blacks and incredible picture quality of plasma displays (like me :wink:) should do their replacement research here: AVS Forum

They have a dedicated forum: OLED Technology and Flat Panels General | AVS Forum

I've followed this forum for many years. It's my go-to site for high-end audio and video.
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

I have 2 plasma tvs 50 in that the previous owner left in the house. I think each older than 10 years.
Those are so heavy, my wife and i cannot lift those to take those to recycling authority.
Both were working 1040i. I bought a new 65in last thanksgivings. Now i have those old plasmas sitting in garage.the garbage haulers refused to take those.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

mushripu wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:04 pm I have 2 plasma tvs 50 in that the previous owner left in the house. I think each older than 10 years.
Those are so heavy, my wife and i cannot lift those to take those to recycling authority.
Both were working 1040i. I bought a new 65in last thanksgivings. Now i have those old plasmas sitting in garage.the garbage haulers refused to take those.
Put them on Craigslist. I'll bet somebody will take them away for you.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I'd fix it if you are fairly confident in the $100-200 estimate. I have the 64" version of the same TV and I love it.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Fix it yourself or replace. I had to repair ours.

JT
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma purchased in 2005 for a whopping $2700. Unfortunately, it has not died yet, so not upgrading unless we move for retirement. 8-)
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

I had my 2011, 50" Panasonic plasma fixed (the infamous "factory screws too short" problem) 5 years ago...paid ~$200, which included two in-home visits.

Still my main TV, but I would not repair it again today...would instead buy a decent 55" local-backlight LCD HDTV or maybe even OLED.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

ncbill wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:52 pm I had my 2011, 50" Panasonic plasma fixed (the infamous "factory screws too short" problem) 5 years ago...paid ~$200, which included two in-home visits.

Still my main TV, but I would not repair it again today...would instead buy a decent 55" local-backlight LCD HDTV or maybe even OLED.
I probably have the same set (but 55"). I preemptively changed the screws (the original screws had very wide heads rather than separate washers). No problems with it. I am relatively unskilled and uneducated when it comes to electronics, but if I could repair one of my three Panasonic plasma displays for $200 or less, I would do that rather than replace it--assuming that I am still otherwise pleased with the set. But I do love these plasma displays.

Seems like OP is not willing to expend the time or effort--not that there is anything wrong with that--so in his shoes, I would replace the set. I would not throw money at someone else attempting to do the repair.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I’d take this as an opportunity to upgrade to an OLED and get HDR and 4K support. I would also consider upgrading to a larger size screen, maybe 65”.

Here’s a 65” LG OLED for $2100: https://slickdeals.net/f/14310035-65-lg ... e-free-s-h
Topic Author
ossipago

Post by ossipago »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:25 am
ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am It's now started to display some issues that likely indicate some internal electronic issues (difficulty powering on, random restarts). Samsung is well known for using cheap capacitors, and either a bulging capacitor or cold solder joint is the most likely culprit.
I'd doubt a cold solder joint would be a problem at this point. You'll never find it.

Can you describe the power on "difficulty" and "random restart" in more detail?

You're assuming that the problem is with a cap in the primary power supply - the most likely spot. It could be a cap in a regulation circuit somewhere else that's triggering the restart. Or, you have more than one thing failing.
A couple folks have asked, so here is the problem I am facing:

The TV started by randomly turning off and turning back on (twice in recent weeks), to turning off and not turning on with a 5 double blink error message, to not turning on today (after being unplugged for 20 hours). The main culprit seems to be the power board and I am leaning towards pulling it and using one of the online circuit board repair services, which seem to get good results. But I'll talk to the local servicer tomorrow to see what they say: might be worth paying a little more if I can get it fixed a couple weeks faster, a priority for my spouse.
rob

Post by rob »

I wish I had never downgraded my plasma.... I still have it in another room and it's FAR better than the OLED. Your never going to repair it but don't expect a better picture from OLED.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Afty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:32 pm I’d take this as an opportunity to upgrade to an OLED and get HDR and 4K support. I would also consider upgrading to a larger size screen, maybe 65”.

Here’s a 65” LG OLED for $2100: https://slickdeals.net/f/14310035-65-lg ... e-free-s-h
Be very careful about gray market sellers - those who are not authorized dealers. That site's seller says "has US warranty", but that's not the whole story. If they are not an authorized dealer, you have no warranty.

Every manufacturer has a list of authorized dealers. Here's LG:
Why Choose an LG Authorized Dealer?
- they also list who to avoid.

(Got burned a few years ago with a Samsung SSD. Never again.)
Afty

Post by Afty »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 pm
Afty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:32 pm I’d take this as an opportunity to upgrade to an OLED and get HDR and 4K support. I would also consider upgrading to a larger size screen, maybe 65”.

Be very careful about gray market sellers - those who are not authorized dealers. That site's seller says "has US warranty", but that's not the whole story. If they are not an authorized dealer, you have no warranty.

The Slickdeals thread I linked is for a deal at Buydig.com, which is listed as an LG Authorized Dealer on your link. Unless I’m missing something?
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

Don’t repair
Search slick deals weekly
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

ossipago wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am The alternative is to get a new TV. I think only OLED would be a suitable substitute for plasma, especially the deep blacks we prefer. OLEDs in the sub-60 range seem to sell for $1500, which is a hefty price tag. We can afford it, but I didn't want to upgrade now as I think OLED has a lot of room to increase in quality while decreasing in price in coming years.

For $100-200, I’d repair it. For $300, you’re already looking at 20% the cost of an OLED.

A $1500 OLED tv is quality and should be superior to the plasma in every way. The price has come down a lot but I agree still carries a premium over LCD. Then again, Bogleheads also need to support the economy and new technologies!
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

Also take into account that plasma takes about twice the amount of energy consumption vs. LCD so you should take that into account.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Afty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:03 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:47 pm

The Slickdeals thread I linked is for a deal at Buydig.com, which is listed as an LG Authorized Dealer on your link. Unless I’m missing something?
No, I missed it. I didn't follow the slickdeals link because my ad blocker blocked the link. I then missed buydig.com as one of the graphics shown for "Trusted Retail Partners".
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

If you only have 2 choices: fix plasma or get overpriced OLED and LED is not an option, then I'd fix plasma now and get OLED in 2-3 yrs.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

rob wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:44 pm I wish I had never downgraded my plasma.... I still have it in another room and it's FAR better than the OLED. Your never going to repair it but don't expect a better picture from OLED.
With respect, because I loved my plasma screens also, but I think you posted with your heart rather than your eyes (or perhaps you have a very early OLED). Plasma can’t compete with OLED with 4K, HDR, etc.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:22 am
rob wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:44 pm I wish I had never downgraded my plasma.... I still have it in another room and it's FAR better than the OLED. Your never going to repair it but don't expect a better picture from OLED.
With respect, because I loved my plasma screens also, but I think you posted with your heart rather than your eyes (or perhaps you have a very early OLED). Plasma can’t compete with OLED with 4K, HDR, etc.
I would agree with TomatoTomahto. I have both. I have a 77 inch LG OLED downstairs and a 58 inch Panasonic plasma upstairs. With 4K content, the OLED picture quality is much better than the plasma. Although, I still prefer my 10 year old plasma over most lower tier new LED TVs.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I wish they made good OLED 4k TVs in smaller sizes ( under 40”). I have a small home with no space for bigger TVs .
Topic Author
ossipago

Post by ossipago »

bubbadog wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:58 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:22 am
I would agree with TomatoTomahto. I have both. I have a 77 inch LG OLED downstairs and a 58 inch Panasonic plasma upstairs. With 4K content, the OLED picture quality is much better than the plasma. Although, I still prefer my 10 year old plasma over most lower tier new LED TVs.
Yes, it's true there is no plasma with HDR and 4K. But there is also no TV technology that matches the smoothness of motion that a plasma offers. In my use case, 4K offers little benefit due to lack of content and viewing distance, and HDR looks unnatural except for certain video game content.