Online cheap eyeglass prescription lenses...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ykcor

Online cheap eyeglass prescription lenses...

Post by Ykcor »

Need a second pair to play tennis in. I have good titanium frames already. Just don’t want to pay the High cost of Of local optical dispensaries. Anyone have any experience and recommendations.
P.S. we don’t have a local Costco
Bogle7

Re: Online cheap eyeglass prescription lenses...

Post by Bogle7 »

Zenni
Topic Author
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:29 pmZenni
I looked at their website. I don’t think can get the prescription lenses without buying frames. I have my own frame.

Post by 123 »

There seem to be a number of online outfits that do this. I googled "buy perscripton lens without frames" (without quotes) and there seemed to be a few options. Perhaps others bogleheads have used one of them. Costco used to let you use your own frames for a service charge of around $20 but they discontinued that service and now you have to buy a new frame each time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

Carl von Clausewitz, ‘The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.’
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Zenni, Goggles4U and Firmoo.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Ykcor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:34 pm
I looked at their website. I don’t think can get the prescription lenses without buying frames. I have my own frame.
It's still cheap with frames. Used them long long long ago for spare glasses and very happy with them esp relative to prices. Not sure if pricing have changed , im laser-corrected now
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Wirecutter has a pretty good article on this that you may find helpful.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Ykcor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:34 pm
Think whoever makes your lenses needs to have the frame so the lenses are shaped properly.

The Zenni frames are inexpensive. Would just buy the lenses + frames. If you insist on keeping your frame you would likely have to use a local optical shop and it's going to cost more than using Zenni.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Ykcor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:34 pm I have my own frame.
No one wants to sell you just lenses.
The money is in frames (cf. Essilor).
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:18 pm
Ykcor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:34 pm I have my own frame.
No one wants to sell you just lenses.
The money is in frames (cf. Essilor).
They also don’t want to put lenses in someone’s broken down frames, and then have the customer complain when the frames fall apart. So if you find someplace that will do this, expect to sign something saying there’s no warranty on the work.

I would just get the second pair for $25 (or whatever it is now) from Costco the next time I needed glasses.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Lensabl, they are one of the only services offering premium lens choices (like Trivex, etc) that will re-use your existing (including rimless) frames https://www.lensabl.com/

I've emailed back and forth with them, and they were very knowledgeable and seemed flexible to my needs. Also reasonable prices for what you are getting, and a guarantee. There are other options out there, and I contacted most of them, but there were some AWFUL reviews for most of them out there.
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

I would forget the frames you have and choose a new pair on Zenni.

I went down this route and getting Lensabl to put new lenses in my glasses would have been around $350.

To get a whole new set of glasses from Zenni was $65.

If you need high performance sports type glasses, you might also look at Roka, this is a local (to me) firm that is targeting this segment "designed by athletes for athletes."

https://www.roka.com

I've NOT had good luck with glassesusa.com, for one data point.
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

Ykcor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:28 pm Need a second pair to play tennis in. I have good titanium frames already. Just don’t want to pay the High cost of Of local optical dispensaries. Anyone have any experience and recommendations.
Great experience with Zenni. Here was my cost - Frame = $6.95, Lens(prescription, single vision) = Free, AR coating = $4.95, Shipping = $4.95. Total bill = $16.85. My cheapest cost in the last 50 years of buying eye glasses. Good bye to brick and mortar(except for eye exams) forever. :sharebeer
So many fish, so little time.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

lws6772 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:37 pm
Ykcor wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:28 pm Need a second pair to play tennis in. I have good titanium frames already. Just don’t want to pay the High cost of Of local optical dispensaries. Anyone have any experience and recommendations.
Great experience with Zenni. Here was my cost - Frame = $6.95, Lens(prescription, single vision) = Free, AR coating = $4.95, Shipping = $4.95. Total bill = $16.85. My cheapest cost in the last 50 years of buying eye glasses. Good bye to brick and mortar(except for eye exams) forever. :sharebeer

Zenni has no warranty, and you will only ever get back half what you paid, at best. I can't recommend them. Eyebuydirect has the same pricing, but offers a 12mo warranty, and I've had them fully replace a pair beyond the 12mo.

But the OP asked about lens replacement, which neither company does, so not really relevant here.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:42 pm
Zenni has no warranty, and you will only ever get back half what you paid, at best. I can't recommend them. Eyebuydirect has the same pricing, but offers a 12mo warranty, and I've had them fully replace a pair beyond the 12mo.
Not sure what one would need a warranty for, with eyeglasses. You buy em, you break em, you replace em. Warranty is not what I consider when spending $20 (it's lunch money).

Warranty being basically an actuarial calculation.... not knowing eyebuydirects pricing, I would guess for this privilege of replacement, they cost 50% more?

When I did need glasses, the retail pairs I bought were high-index, zeiss lenses, with all sorts of branded coatings and add-ons the opth sold me on. They cost a few hundred dollars before insurance. When I got the Zennis -- meant as backups -- I found their perceived optical quality (resolution, distortion, eye comfort, etc) at 95-98%. The markup on the retail stuff must be tremendous
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Glassesusa.com

A good mix of price and quality.

Use a buy one, get one coupon.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy »

I've had some good luck with warby parker. Any others, or is it on the pricier end?
Topic Author
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

Thanks for the info. I have a odd shaped head with my ears Set further back than most people. The frames I have fit perfectly and are in great shape But the lens are scratched and the prescription is not current. So I plan to save the frames.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

39 dollar site you can send em in, i have done it twice. no problems
Carl von Clausewitz, ‘The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.’
potatochip

Post by potatochip »

I’ve used 39dollarglasses and replacealens for relensing several times. Both services worked fine for relensing, and contacted me if they had questions. Also they may need the old lenses for tracing when they cut your new lenses.

I sent in my frames via USPS- you may want to consider putting insurance on it when mailing in your frames. The one issue I had was with USPS losing the frames somewhere in the postal system, USPS ended up returning them to me about 3 months later.
Topic Author
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

potatochip wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:34 pm I’ve used 39dollarglasses and replacealens for relensing several times. Both services worked fine for relensing, and contacted me if they had questions. Also they may need the old lenses for tracing when they cut your new lenses.

I sent in my frames via USPS- you may want to consider putting insurance on it when mailing in your frames. The one issue I had was with USPS losing the frames somewhere in the postal system, USPS ended up returning them to me about 3 months later.
[/quote
Thanks. I was about to make a comment about the reliability of the USPS but afraid it would be construed As political and decided not to.
spitty

Post by spitty »

Just ordered progressives from Eyebuydirect due to their warranty and the price was excellent. Interesting that they didn't require an upload/verification of my current prescription...I just entered the numbers and that was it. That's a first.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

spitty wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:37 am Just ordered progressives from Eyebuydirect due to their warranty and the price was excellent. Interesting that they didn't require an upload/verification of my current prescription...I just entered the numbers and that was it. That's a first.
Just to be clear, this thread is about lenses for existing frames. Is Eyebuydirect relevant in this case?
Emiliania

Post by Emiliania »

Ykcor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:48 pm Thanks for the info. I have a odd shaped head with my ears Set further back than most people. The frames I have fit perfectly and are in great shape But the lens are scratched and the prescription is not current. So I plan to save the frames.
Take detailed measurements of these perfect frames. I used Zenni, and they do specify several measurements for the dimensions of their frames. Dig into the measurements, and see if any might fit you. Someday, you will need new frames, even if these ones hold together. For the price, it's worth trying.