advice for light switch timer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

advice for light switch timer

Post by EnjoyIt »

I have two outdoor lights that I want to turn on when it gets dark and turn off around 5am or so. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

We have a Wemo outlet switch which we use for our espresso machine to turn on and warm up in the mornings so I figured to try a Wemo light switch but the wiring on one of the switches does not allow for proper installation.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Normchad
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Normchad »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:12 pm I have two outdoor lights that I want to turn on when it gets dark and turn off around 5am or so. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

We have a Wemo outlet switch which we use for our espresso machine to turn on and warm up in the mornings so I figured to try a Wemo light switch but the wiring on one of the switches does not allow for proper installation.
I use this. It’s a light sensor, so automatically turns on at dark, off in the morning. No fussing around with it. https://www.amazon.com/Woods-59408WD-Ou ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I believe you can also buy light bulbs, or bulb adapters, that will do the same thing.
Erwin007
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 am
Location: Intermountain West

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Erwin007 »

Why not just buy a programmable light switch timer? Are the lights not turned on and off by light switches?

Honeywell Home RPLS740B1008 Econoswitch 7-Day Programmable Light Switch Timer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N2/re ... uFbA787CA5
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3590
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Probably more, and a more expensive, than you are seeking, but we have a few LIFX outdoor lights that are very versatile--can vary brightness, color, and gradations of white. Wifi connected and can be controlled by smartphone, PC app, and Amazon Alexa. We also have a couple of them set to come on and off as you are seeking via IFTTT. Very happy with them.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by EnjoyIt »

Thanks for recommendations above. To answer some of those questions.
Normchad wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:17 pm
I use this. It’s a light sensor, so automatically turns on at dark, off in the morning. No fussing around with it. https://www.amazon.com/Woods-59408WD-Ou ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I believe you can also buy light bulbs, or bulb adapters, that will do the same thing.
The light sensor would be nice but would also require more wiring to the outdoors than I am interested since the light switch is indoors.
Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm Why not just buy a programmable light switch timer? Are the lights not turned on and off by light switches?

Honeywell Home RPLS740B1008 Econoswitch 7-Day Programmable Light Switch Timer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N2/re ... uFbA787CA5
The Honeywell timer is probably what I was looking for. I went online prior to posting and saw many different timers. Do you have experience with Honeywell's? Does it work as intended?
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:25 pm Probably more, and a more expensive, than you are seeking, but we have a few LIFX outdoor lights that are very versatile--can vary brightness, color, and gradations of white. Wifi connected and can be controlled by smartphone, PC app, and Amazon Alexa. We also have a couple of them set to come on and off as you are seeking via IFTTT. Very happy with them.
As you suspected, this is overkill. Those particular lights we keep at 5000k and it works great. You also made me look up IFTTT :)
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
neilpilot
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by neilpilot »

What type of bulb and fixture? Something like this might work

https://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Lights-Li ... B076CN463G
User avatar
happyisland
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by happyisland »

I use Phillips hue bulbs for things like this and I love them.
BuddyJet
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by BuddyJet »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:12 pm I have two outdoor lights that I want to turn on when it gets dark and turn off around 5am or so. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

We have a Wemo outlet switch which we use for our espresso machine to turn on and warm up in the mornings so I figured to try a Wemo light switch but the wiring on one of the switches does not allow for proper installation.
My favorite is the Intermatic EI600WC. It does not require a neutral wire, works in three way applications, and does not lose programming after a long power outage. You do have the replace the CR2 battery every 4-5years.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=intermatic+e ... f2ypg9p0_e
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
sport
Posts: 9557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by sport »

I installed a timer switch in the bathroom to time the exhaust fan. We want it to run after we leave the room and we were forgetting to go back to turn it off. It is similar to the timer switch you see in hotel bathrooms. It has worked flawlessly for 14 years now. It was a direct swap out for the regular toggle switch. The brand is Intermatic and it can be set up to one hour. I bought it at Home Depot.
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 21628
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by abuss368 »

Our kid asked for the "clapper" years ago. She uses that without having to get up!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
neilpilot
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by neilpilot »

sport wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:45 pm I installed a timer switch in the bathroom to time the exhaust fan. We want it to run after we leave the room and we were forgetting to go back to turn it off. It is similar to the timer switch you see in hotel bathrooms. It has worked flawlessly for 14 years now. It was a direct swap out for the regular toggle switch. The brand is Intermatic and it can be set up to one hour. I bought it at Home Depot.
I have several of these on vent fans, but they are totally inappropriate for the OP’s application. I’d guess that the OP doesn’t want to turn on the lights manually every hour, every evening.
Last edited by neilpilot on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crefwatch
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by crefwatch »

There used to be photocell lamp-socket extenders, designed to fit inside large post lamp globes, beneath a single medium-screw lamp. That doesn't work with multi-lamp post lights. If you're up to it, there are photcells designed to be added to the post, below the globe. Requires wiring ability. I'd buy a silver bracket to cover (but not immobilize) the indoor switch, because then you would leave the switch on, 24-7.

Is it important to you that the light come on very near dusk, or do you want it to look random as a (theoretical) burglary deterrent? Astronomical time switches cost more, usually. If the outside lights are LED lamps, you want to use "dimmable" LED bulbs (marked on package), because most of the timer/photocells we're talking about here have solid-state control that could shorten the life of non-resistive light bulbs. Note that most LED bulbs say that they are not designed for totally enclosed fixtures.
JoinToday
Posts: 905
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by JoinToday »

I have 3 of these:
Honeywell FBA_36045 PLS750C1000 Timer Switch with Sunrise Sunset Single or 3 Way

These appear to be similar to the ones referenced previously, but they can be programmed to automatically adjust the start (on) time and stop (off) time as the seasons change throughout the year, and automatically adjust for daylight savings time. I have 3 of them. A little hard (for me) to program, but they work great. Had them for a few years, haven't had to reprogram for winter / summer sunrise & sunset.

No photocell. Just enter longitude & lattitude, and it takes care of everything
Last edited by JoinToday on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
Erwin007
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 am
Location: Intermountain West

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Erwin007 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 pm Thanks for recommendations above. To answer some of those questions.
Normchad wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:17 pm
I use this. It’s a light sensor, so automatically turns on at dark, off in the morning. No fussing around with it. https://www.amazon.com/Woods-59408WD-Ou ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I believe you can also buy light bulbs, or bulb adapters, that will do the same thing.
The light sensor would be nice but would also require more wiring to the outdoors than I am interested since the light switch is indoors.
Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm Why not just buy a programmable light switch timer? Are the lights not turned on and off by light switches?

Honeywell Home RPLS740B1008 Econoswitch 7-Day Programmable Light Switch Timer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N2/re ... uFbA787CA5
The Honeywell timer is probably what I was looking for. I went online prior to posting and saw many different timers. Do you have experience with Honeywell's? Does it work as intended?
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:25 pm Probably more, and a more expensive, than you are seeking, but we have a few LIFX outdoor lights that are very versatile--can vary brightness, color, and gradations of white. Wifi connected and can be controlled by smartphone, PC app, and Amazon Alexa. We also have a couple of them set to come on and off as you are seeking via IFTTT. Very happy with them.
As you suspected, this is overkill. Those particular lights we keep at 5000k and it works great. You also made me look up IFTTT :)
We have 4 of the Honeywell timers. They work well. Easy to install. You set your location and it turns the lights on automatically (if you choose that particular setting), just before sunset, which means the “on time” is changing nearly every day. Then you just set whatever time you want the lights to turn off. The biggest annoyance is that each of the switches clock advances at a slightly different speed, so after a few months they are out of kilter when they turn off and I have to reset the time, which I’ve forgotten how to easily do since it’s been just long enough since the last time that I’ve forgotten how.
random_walker_77
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by random_walker_77 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 pm
Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm Why not just buy a programmable light switch timer? Are the lights not turned on and off by light switches?

Honeywell Home RPLS740B1008 Econoswitch 7-Day Programmable Light Switch Timer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N2/re ... uFbA787CA5
The Honeywell timer is probably what I was looking for. I went online prior to posting and saw many different timers. Do you have experience with Honeywell's? Does it work as intended?
Huh, I just installed this very item last night. Amazon tells me I bought it in June 2018 for $26.50, and I'd sat on installing it.

It does require a neutral, and in my case, I needed to buy larger wire connectors b/c my box had an awful lot of neutral wires already twisted together. Programming in my latitude/longitude was straightforward following the included directions, and now it runs from sundown to sunrise. It looks nice enough and seems to be working well. Ask me in a month, but based on the thousands of reviews at amazon, I expect it to be fine.
random_walker_77
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by random_walker_77 »

Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 pm The biggest annoyance is that each of the switches clock advances at a slightly different speed, so after a few months they are out of kilter when they turn off and I have to reset the time, which I’ve forgotten how to easily do since it’s been just long enough since the last time that I’ve forgotten how.
Since I was just looking at the manual last night: hold down the big button on the bottom (light switch) until the menu comes on. Use the two little buttons to select the time setting and the big button to change it.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 20980
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by willthrill81 »

I've been using the switch below for the last three years to control two lights on either side of our garage door. It's worked perfectly and wired right into a standard switch box. I programmed it to turn on at dusk and off at dawn, based on both the date and our latitude.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
dcdowden
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:42 am

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by dcdowden »

Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm Why not just buy a programmable light switch timer? Are the lights not turned on and off by light switches?

Honeywell Home RPLS740B1008 Econoswitch 7-Day Programmable Light Switch Timer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AP92N2/re ... uFbA787CA5
We have two of these programmable switches as well. They automatically adjust for daylight savings time and changing sunset and sunrise times over the year. Great product.
Honeywell Home RPLS740B1008 Econoswitch 7-Day Programmable Light Switch Timer, White
lazydavid
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by lazydavid »

BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 pm My favorite is the Intermatic EI600WC. It does not require a neutral wire, works in three way applications, and does not lose programming after a long power outage. You do have the replace the CR2 battery every 4-5years.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=intermatic+e ... f2ypg9p0_e
I just threw one of these in the trash. I had relatively simple requirements:

On at sunset, off at 11pm, 7 days/week
On at 5am, off at sunrise, 7 days/week

What it actually did resembled this:

#START
X = RND(0.000-1.000)
IF X < 0.020 THEN lights = ON
ELSEIF X > 0.980 THEN lights = OFF
ELSE continue
SLEEP 60
GOTO START

My wife was constantly complaining that the lights were on at 2pm, or we would come home from dinner at 8pm and they would be off. I spent about 10 minutes/week reprogramming it to no avail, though the time was never wrong unless DST had changed. It would seem to work as set for a day or two, and then revert to its usual stupidity. The third worst bit of technology I've ever had in my home, behind the electrostatic furnace filter and allegedly motion-sensing kitchen faucet.

Replaced it with a Meross smart switch which took 2 minutes to program from my phone, and has done exactly what I want it to do since then. Cost a third of what I originally paid for the Intermatic, and half of what it costs now.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 11140
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by TomatoTomahto »

happyisland wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 pm I use Phillips hue bulbs for things like this and I love them.
I am a big fan of Hue (at last count 29 lights installed), but for exterior lighting, they’re a bit dim. They’re okay for accent/mood lighting outdoors (I have one set up to shine on a small fountain), but IMO their lumen output is insufficient for most outdoor use.

ETA: and they’re pricey.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
User avatar
cartophile
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:52 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by cartophile »

Another vote for the Honeywell RPLS740B1008. We have three of them.

As noted by another poster, the clocks do slowly drift out of sync. I've decided that's a feature. It looks as if somebody is puttering around the house and turning the lights on manually.
User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 1275
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by galawdawg »

I agree with lazydavid, a programmable wifi smart switch is the way to go. This Kasa Smart Light Switch is $14.99 on Amazon with $2.00 coupon. https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Light ... 337&sr=8-5
BuddyJet
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by BuddyJet »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:22 pm
BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 pm My favorite is the Intermatic EI600WC. It does not require a neutral wire, works in three way applications, and does not lose programming after a long power outage. You do have the replace the CR2 battery every 4-5years.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=intermatic+e ... f2ypg9p0_e
I just threw one of these in the trash. I had relatively simple requirements:

On at sunset, off at 11pm, 7 days/week
On at 5am, off at sunrise, 7 days/week

What it actually did resembled this:

#START
X = RND(0.000-1.000)
IF X < 0.020 THEN lights = ON
ELSEIF X > 0.980 THEN lights = OFF
ELSE continue
SLEEP 60
GOTO START

My wife was constantly complaining that the lights were on at 2pm, or we would come home from dinner at 8pm and they would be off. I spent about 10 minutes/week reprogramming it to no avail, though the time was never wrong unless DST had changed. It would seem to work as set for a day or two, and then revert to its usual stupidity. The third worst bit of technology I've ever had in my home, behind the electrostatic furnace filter and allegedly motion-sensing kitchen faucet.

Replaced it with a Meross smart switch which took 2 minutes to program from my phone, and has done exactly what I want it to do since then. Cost a third of what I originally paid for the Intermatic, and half of what it costs now.
I've used over a dozen of the EI600WC at various houses and they have been solid, particularly since no neutral is required.

While I don't doubt your experience, it hasn't been mine.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
lazydavid
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by lazydavid »

BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:59 pm I've used over a dozen of the EI600WC at various houses and they have been solid, particularly since no neutral is required.

While I don't doubt your experience, it hasn't been mine.
That's fair. And I don't actually know that mine was that specific model. But it was a similar-looking Intermatic that did not require a neutral.
Beleiber
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:40 am

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Beleiber »

Highly recommend the Intermatic. Has been working flawlessly for 10 years (battery needs replacement perhaps every 4 years). Knows our Latitude and automatically adjusts for sunrise and sunset times.

Smart bulbs would have been a lot more expensive, since this single switch controls 10 exterior lightbulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-EI600 ... stronomic/

Also available at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Intermatic- ... ite-ST01K/
Topic Author
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by EnjoyIt »

Thanks all for the recommendations. Looks like I will be going with either the Honeywell or the intermatic.

Abuss368, clapping is not a substitute for a timer. :beer Cheers :beer. Sorry, but I had to give you a bit of a hard time.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
BuddyJet
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by BuddyJet »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 pm Thanks all for the recommendations. Looks like I will be going with either the Honeywell or the intermatic.

Abuss368, clapping is not a substitute for a timer. :beer Cheers :beer. Sorry, but I had to give you a bit of a hard time.
Since you are looking at the Honeywell, you should check the switch box to ensure that a neutral (white) wire is available. The Honeywell requires one.

One other thing about the Intermatic, it makes a semi-loud click when it turns on or off. Only an issue if installed in the bedroom of a light sleeper.

Btw, the intermatic st01k is the 15 amp version of the 20 amp ei600wc and about $10 cheaper
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
michaelingp
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by michaelingp »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:37 pm
happyisland wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 pm I use Phillips hue bulbs for things like this and I love them.
I am a big fan of Hue (at last count 29 lights installed), but for exterior lighting, they’re a bit dim. They’re okay for accent/mood lighting outdoors (I have one set up to shine on a small fountain), but IMO their lumen output is insufficient for most outdoor use.

ETA: and they’re pricey.
I've recently installed two 65w equivalent LED Hue flood lights and they are plenty bright (1300 lumen each). I have no experience with their other products.

For the OP: I think the "smart home" technology has (finally!) reached the point where it's reasonably easy to implement and reliable (but still expensive). I use the Apple Home app. I have a Leviton smart switch and the Hue smart bulbs (separate applications). Hue is more expensive. I think the bulbs are $25 each and the (required) hub is $50 or so. Plus you need some kind of Apple device (I use my iPad). With either it's quite easy to program the lights to come on at dusk and off at a specific time. You program it on your iPad (or other device), not on tiny switches with a tiny LCD screen). The instructions are pretty much non-existent, but there are tons of YouTube videos that show you how to set it up. In my experience the Leviton has been a little less reliable, but I've had it for years. It seems to be sensitive to changes in your wifi network. I haven't had the Hue long enough to predict reliability, but it's been rock solid for months now. You don't say anything about motion detection, but the Hue motion detector has been the first reliable solution I've found in decades. Zero false positives, and stays on exactly the number of minutes you program. (Of course it should be the most reliable. At $50 it's by far the most expensive motion detector I've used.)

One small point on the Hue that I missed before buying: The hub (they call it a bridge) requires an Ethernet cable. That wasn't a problem for me, since I just sat it next to my router but even so you might not have an available Ethernet port. (If none of this makes sense to you, you might not be ready for "smart home" devices.)
Topic Author
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by EnjoyIt »

michaelingp wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:37 pm
happyisland wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 pm I use Phillips hue bulbs for things like this and I love them.
I am a big fan of Hue (at last count 29 lights installed), but for exterior lighting, they’re a bit dim. They’re okay for accent/mood lighting outdoors (I have one set up to shine on a small fountain), but IMO their lumen output is insufficient for most outdoor use.

ETA: and they’re pricey.
I've recently installed two 65w equivalent LED Hue flood lights and they are plenty bright (1300 lumen each). I have no experience with their other products.

For the OP: I think the "smart home" technology has (finally!) reached the point where it's reasonably easy to implement and reliable (but still expensive). I use the Apple Home app. I have a Leviton smart switch and the Hue smart bulbs (separate applications). Hue is more expensive. I think the bulbs are $25 each and the (required) hub is $50 or so. Plus you need some kind of Apple device (I use my iPad). With either it's quite easy to program the lights to come on at dusk and off at a specific time. You program it on your iPad (or other device), not on tiny switches with a tiny LCD screen). The instructions are pretty much non-existent, but there are tons of YouTube videos that show you how to set it up. In my experience the Leviton has been a little less reliable, but I've had it for years. It seems to be sensitive to changes in your wifi network. I haven't had the Hue long enough to predict reliability, but it's been rock solid for months now. You don't say anything about motion detection, but the Hue motion detector has been the first reliable solution I've found in decades. Zero false positives, and stays on exactly the number of minutes you program. (Of course it should be the most reliable. At $50 it's by far the most expensive motion detector I've used.)

One small point on the Hue that I missed before buying: The hub (they call it a bridge) requires an Ethernet cable. That wasn't a problem for me, since I just sat it next to my router but even so you might not have an available Ethernet port. (If none of this makes sense to you, you might not be ready for "smart home" devices.)
Thanks for the details. I have a few smart home devices in the house and run a pretty extensive network at home.

I think if I was to go all out and build a smart home for light switches I would probably go with Lutron. They have a very reliable network though it’s expensive. Either way I’m not necessarily looking for a smart switch though willing to put one in if that would provide the results I want. Either way, I think I like the idea of just putting in a light switch programable timer because I don’t need to control it remotely, need to set it up once and then forget about it.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
mancich
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by mancich »

BuddyJet wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:12 pm I have two outdoor lights that I want to turn on when it gets dark and turn off around 5am or so. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

We have a Wemo outlet switch which we use for our espresso machine to turn on and warm up in the mornings so I figured to try a Wemo light switch but the wiring on one of the switches does not allow for proper installation.
My favorite is the Intermatic EI600WC. It does not require a neutral wire, works in three way applications, and does not lose programming after a long power outage. You do have the replace the CR2 battery every 4-5years.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=intermatic+e ... f2ypg9p0_e
+1. We have Intermatic in-wall timers that control the coach lights on either side of our garage doors, and one that controls the coach lights around the front door. They all come on at the same time and go off at the same time. Perfect solution.
user5027
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by user5027 »

I installed two timers similar (mine are 20 amp) to this 6 years ago and have been happy with them....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-15- ... /300524126
SovereignInvestor
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by SovereignInvestor »

They make dusk to dawn bulbs on Amazon that have built in light sensor.

I have used (via amazon)

"Govee LED Dusk to Dawn Lights Bulb 13.5W Sensor Light Bulbs with Photocell" for over 2 years now and they are great. Just buy bulb, put in outdoor socket and permanently leave switch on and the bulb only goes on when its dark outside, and goes off at dawn anywhere from 5am to 7am depending on time of year.

No need for switches or adjustments to the fixture and they're like $8/bulb. But mostly for clozed fixtures. If ezposed then they make outdoor floodlight bulbs with the dusk to dawn light sensor.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by EnjoyIt »

SovereignInvestor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:35 am They make dusk to dawn bulbs on Amazon that have built in light sensor.

I have used (via amazon)

"Govee LED Dusk to Dawn Lights Bulb 13.5W Sensor Light Bulbs with Photocell" for over 2 years now and they are great. Just buy bulb, put in outdoor socket and permanently leave switch on and the bulb only goes on when its dark outside, and goes off at dawn anywhere from 5am to 7am depending on time of year.

No need for switches or adjustments to the fixture and they're like $8/bulb. But mostly for clozed fixtures. If ezposed then they make outdoor floodlight bulbs with the dusk to dawn light sensor.
That’s a nice option. Since I just bought all the nice fancy bulbs and lots of them. If I was to do it again, I think I would go this route.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
User avatar
tractorguy
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Chicago Suburb

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by tractorguy »

Another vote for the Honeywell if you have a neutral and a ground wire in the switchbox. My first one lasted about 6 years and I'm now 4 years into the second. Set it once and forget about it unless it dies.
Lorne
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by batpot »

I use smart switches exactly for this application. Now have them all over the house, but not necessary in every room.
Also use them to auto turn off bathroom fans and use smart plugs and switches to control cameras and lights while we're away.
Favorite brand for switches is Zooz.

But I have modern wiring, and neutral wires everywhere.
Joylush
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:47 am

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Joylush »

I needed the same thing and after a lot of research got the Honeywell timer referenced here. Works great! Does just what I’d hoped for.
BuddyJet
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by BuddyJet »

batpot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm I use smart switches exactly for this application. Now have them all over the house, but not necessary in every room.
Also use them to auto turn off bathroom fans and use smart plugs and switches to control cameras and lights while we're away.
Favorite brand for switches is Zooz.

But I have modern wiring, and neutral wires everywhere.
For bath fans, I prefer a humidistat like below. Will auto turn on if humidity is too high or manual on. Will also turn off after 10 min.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Dec ... /204734988
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by EnjoyIt »

BuddyJet wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:25 pm
batpot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm I use smart switches exactly for this application. Now have them all over the house, but not necessary in every room.
Also use them to auto turn off bathroom fans and use smart plugs and switches to control cameras and lights while we're away.
Favorite brand for switches is Zooz.

But I have modern wiring, and neutral wires everywhere.
For bath fans, I prefer a humidistat like below. Will auto turn on if humidity is too high or manual on. Will also turn off after 10 min.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Dec ... /204734988
As my opening post described I'm looking for out door light switches that I can program. Either way, I am curious about the product you linked? Does it auto turn on when someone poops? Does it auto shut off when the smell is gone, or does it just work with humidity? I kind of don't see the benefit of such a switch. Maybe because I don't want a fan on when I am showering as it makes the bathroom cooler when I get out which is not what I want.

Also, I'm punching the Honeybee product.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
BuddyJet
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by BuddyJet »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:31 pm
BuddyJet wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:25 pm
batpot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm I use smart switches exactly for this application. Now have them all over the house, but not necessary in every room.
Also use them to auto turn off bathroom fans and use smart plugs and switches to control cameras and lights while we're away.
Favorite brand for switches is Zooz.

But I have modern wiring, and neutral wires everywhere.
For bath fans, I prefer a humidistat like below. Will auto turn on if humidity is too high or manual on. Will also turn off after 10 min.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Dec ... /204734988
As my opening post described I'm looking for out door light switches that I can program. Either way, I am curious about the product you linked? Does it auto turn on when someone poops? Does it auto shut off when the smell is gone, or does it just work with humidity? I kind of don't see the benefit of such a switch. Maybe because I don't want a fan on when I am showering as it makes the bathroom cooler when I get out which is not what I want.

Also, I'm punching the Honeybee product.
For poop venting, I turn on the fan as I leave (I dislike fan noise) and it will turn itself off in 10 min. It can't tell poop by itself.

For showers, it only turns on when the humidity (adjustable) gets too high. In my area, the mold issue from too high humidity is the bigger concern but you can always dial the humidity adjustment to only have it turn on when humidity is VERY high.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 11140
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by TomatoTomahto »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:31 pm ...Does it auto shut off when the smell is gone, or does it just work with humidity? I kind of don't see the benefit of such a switch. Maybe because I don't want a fan on when I am showering as it makes the bathroom cooler when I get out which is not what I want.
Now that the kids don’t live here any more (mostly), we prefer a timer on the shower exhaust fan, and suggest that 60 minutes be used. When the kids were smaller, we liked a humidistat controlled shower fan because, well, kids.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3590
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Way too much information in this thread.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by EnjoyIt »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:46 pm Way too much information in this thread.
Doom&Gloom, you may want or maybe even need this

https://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Poops-T ... 0701&psc=1

Image
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by batpot »

BuddyJet wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:40 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:31 pm
BuddyJet wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:25 pm
batpot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm I use smart switches exactly for this application. Now have them all over the house, but not necessary in every room.
Also use them to auto turn off bathroom fans and use smart plugs and switches to control cameras and lights while we're away.
Favorite brand for switches is Zooz.

But I have modern wiring, and neutral wires everywhere.
For bath fans, I prefer a humidistat like below. Will auto turn on if humidity is too high or manual on. Will also turn off after 10 min.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Dec ... /204734988
As my opening post described I'm looking for out door light switches that I can program. Either way, I am curious about the product you linked? Does it auto turn on when someone poops? Does it auto shut off when the smell is gone, or does it just work with humidity? I kind of don't see the benefit of such a switch. Maybe because I don't want a fan on when I am showering as it makes the bathroom cooler when I get out which is not what I want.

Also, I'm punching the Honeybee product.
For poop venting, I turn on the fan as I leave (I dislike fan noise) and it will turn itself off in 10 min. It can't tell poop by itself.

For showers, it only turns on when the humidity (adjustable) gets too high. In my area, the mold issue from too high humidity is the bigger concern but you can always dial the humidity adjustment to only have it turn on when humidity is VERY high.
Smart switches can be had for less than that humidistat, and work for poop as well.

"poop venting" might be my favorite term of the week.
:sharebeer
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3590
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by Doom&Gloom »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:56 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:46 pm Way too much information in this thread.
Doom&Gloom, you may want or maybe even need this

https://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Poops-T ... 0701&psc=1

Image
Wow! I had no idea ...
lazydavid
Posts: 3346
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: advice for light switch timer

Post by lazydavid »

batpot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:57 pm Smart switches can be had for less than that humidistat, and work for poop as well.

"poop venting" might be my favorite term of the week.
:sharebeer
My contractor always referred to these as "fart fans", so "poop venting" fits perfectly. :beer
Post Reply