70% VLT automotive window tint. Is it worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

70% VLT automotive window tint. Is it worth it?

Post by A440 »

I applied and received a waiver from my state's MVC for permission to get window tint all around the vehicle. However, the requirements are no less than 70% VLT for the windshield and front windows. I have a sedan, so I would most likely keep the amounts the same all around the vehicle.
Does anyone have 70% VLT tinting on their vehicles? Does it make much difference in reducing heat and sun glare?
The quote I was given was $400 for a ceramic product for the windows and $200 for the windshield.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
kevinf

Re: 70% VLT automotive window tint. Is it worth it?

Post by kevinf »

Window tint was very beneficial to heat and comfort for me. I have 30% front and 5% back though. No windshield tint.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I've never had window tinting. I bought a replacement window that was tinted, but it looked different than the rest of the car, so I removed the tint. What windows would you tint? I can see maybe the back windows more than the front. I wouldn't tint the windshield or front windows if there was loss of (visible) light transmission.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

A440 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:48 am Does it make much difference in reducing heat and sun glare?
Absolutely. I have 3M ceramic tint on my cars and the difference is totally worth the money. If you are going to tint the windshield, 3M has a 90% VLT tint that has 70% heat rejection - That's the one I would get.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

bogledogle wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:20 pm
A440 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:48 am Does it make much difference in reducing heat and sun glare?
Absolutely. I have 3M ceramic tint on my cars and the difference is totally worth the money. If you are going to tint the windshield, 3M has a 90% VLT tint that has 70% heat rejection - That's the one I would get.
Good advice. No need to significantly darken windows just to block heat and UV. Pay a little extra for high quality tint material as it looks night and day better than cheap tint. We live in the South and always have had our car windows tinted (but never the windshield). Makes a big difference in the summer sun on passenger comfort and also does a good job protecting the car's interior materials.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Some films can cause a shimmer effect with polarized sunglasses, be aware.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

kevinf wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:05 pm Some films can cause a shimmer effect with polarized sunglasses, be aware.
True. The shimmer is usually seen from the exterior. When you look out of the car though, you will see rainbows on certain angles. This does not block visibility, but I can imagine it can be annoying for folks who don't like it.
christoph_kohl

Post by christoph_kohl »

https://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/na_auto_specs_l1748.pdf

(Its a Canadian website, but I believe the specs would apply to all of North America)

Tinted my vehicle with 3M llumar AIR 80 series. Visibly, with 77% VLT, you can barely notice that there is a layer of tint.
However, as per the spec sheet, the heat rejection is real, and feels a lot cooler. Especially here in Texas.
If in doubt, ask for the tech specs, and look for the heat rejection values. (I'm not 100% sure what they mean though. :D )
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

It's definitely worth it. Opt for ceramic and make sure you go to a place that offers a nationwide, lifetime warranty.
jimgour

Post by jimgour »

Be sure to check the laws in your state. Here is a site that might help:
https://instamotor.com/blog/window-tint ... -50-states
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

My state is 70% but it's not typically enforced. I have 30% rear windshield and front windows with 5% on the rear windows of a coupe. Never had a problem for the 7 years it's been tinted. There are some areas where it does get enforced (the college towns), but usually only when you're annoying the police with other things (under-body lighting, stanced wheels, oversize rims, 4000-watt band-pass sub-woofer blasting away, tinted headlights/brake lights).

For the most part if you're not doing anything crazy, you get left alone for window tint.
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

I ended up getting Suntek CXP 35 all around except windshield. This is the darkest tint for the windows allowed by the state for the front windows. The car already had ~70 Trans solar windows from the factory.
It looks great! Just a hint of tint, not too "street racer". :happy
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I’ve got 50% tint on the windshield on my F150, and 35% on the rest. Makes a huge difference in heat.

The tint on the windshield is actually more beneficial at night. There is no glare off incoming headlights even if they have their brights on.

You will love it.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
midareff

Post by midareff »

20% windshield and 60% on the rest. Big difference here in South Florida's summers.