Durable Couch Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LegacyWealth2013

Durable Couch Recommendations

Post by LegacyWealth2013 »

My husband is interested in purchasing a U-shaped sectional couch that has deep seating, comfortable cushion (not too firm, plush with support), and will withstand over the years with wear and tear from young children. We have agreed on a medium to light gray color but cannot find a suitable option. He found one that he likes at Havertys, but the ticket price even with the “Labor Day Sale” was $4500. Too rich for my frugal budget.

Please recommend furniture stores, specific sectional couches, or other recommendations (e.g. realistic price range) for this purchase. Thank you.

If the details are helpful, the couch he loves is 138” width, 29” deep, and right hand side chaise.
Lalamimi

Re: Durable Couch Recommendations

Post by Lalamimi »

Daughter has a nice leather one from Costco. Just wipe it down with 2 kids and 2 dogs.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues subforum. -- mod oldcomputerguy
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

LegacyWealth2013 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:04 pm My husband is interested in purchasing a U-shaped sectional couch that has deep seating, comfortable cushion (not too firm, plush with support), and will withstand over the years with wear and tear from young children. We have agreed on a medium to light gray color but cannot find a suitable option. He found one that he likes at Havertys, but the ticket price even with the “Labor Day Sale” was $4500. Too rich for my frugal budget.

Please recommend furniture stores, specific sectional couches, or other recommendations (e.g. realistic price range) for this purchase. Thank you.

If the details are helpful, the couch he loves is 138” width, 29” deep, and right hand side chaise.
Try Costco.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Tough to find high quality furniture these days. Most major retail furniture stores carry cheaply made junk that will quickly show wear, sag, and become uncomfortable.
Mindbender

Post by Mindbender »

I’ve been a big fan of couches with Flexsteel. A lot more durable and no breaking springs or sagging.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Nearly 10 years ago we bought a custom leather couch from https://www.cascobayfurniture.com/ and it has been and continues to be fantastic even having raised 3 children on it. The site looks a bit gimmicky, but they are the real deal. They work with the factories in North Carolina that make many of the high-end catalog and showroom brands, but allow you to completely customize your designs. Solid wood frames, hand tied suspension, easy to work with.

You may still find that you have to pay a bit more than you were hoping, but this is furniture that will easily last for 20+ years at a fraction of the brand name prices.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

Whatever manufacturer you use, if you decide against leather, select Crypton fabric for durability and stain resistance.
https://www.crypton.com/request-a-sample/
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Quality furniture will cost more. You may find something cheaper that looks good and is comfortable now. But will it hold up? Probably not.

There are still some great leather furniture makers in the US. I was in the market for a quality leather recliner last year. I was ready to buy from this company after researching them. They sell good products and have really low prices.
https://fineleatherfurniture.com/

However, I went to Furniturelandsouth in High Point, NC and found a Leathercraft floor sample like I wanted marked down 40% and bought it there. Leathercraft makes good quality leather goods but is not cheap.
https://www.furniturelandsouth.com/

Both stores sell online and sell top line manufacturers goods. You can shop at stores in your area and when you find what you like, chances are these stores will sell it at a much lower price.

If you are in reasonable driving distance to High Point or Hickory, you can find some really great furniture discount stores with large inventories.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

For (mostly) American-made, high-quality furniture, including many couches, IMHO it's hard to beat Room & Board. Many (most?) of their couches are made by American Leather, I think. Not cheap, but good value. With some exceptions (brands that have coordinated pricing across all retailers), they don't do sales except on true clearance stuff.

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/li ... -loveseats
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Mindbender wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:16 pm I’ve been a big fan of couches with Flexsteel. A lot more durable and no breaking springs or sagging.
Steel frame should help.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Second the recommendation for Flexsteel. It's the best couch I've ever owned and wasn't that expensive for the quality.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:09 pm Second the recommendation for Flexsteel. It's the best couch I've ever owned and wasn't that expensive for the quality.
Third! :sharebeer
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

We have a Radley sofa from Macy's. Although we don't have the chaise, they have several configurations. We have had it several years and it has held up well.
Topic Author
LegacyWealth2013

Post by LegacyWealth2013 »

We settled with a Wayfair purchase. Our children are young and still excited to jump on the couch, color on the couch, and eat and drink on the couch. Maybe we will finally invest in a quality couch in about 10 years. Thank you for the recommendations.