Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa

Post by DTalos »

If one is looking for a simple to understand flat rate cash back no annual fee Visa credit card, is the Chase Freedom Unlimited the best current option? I am only interested in having one credit card and not interested in cards with variable cash back rates on categories. Does Chase provide satisfactory customer service for cardholders of this card?
TravelGeek

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa

Post by TravelGeek »

It's a good card from a good bank. Starting soon (Sept 13), it will actually receive some improvements. While today I earn 1.5 UR/cents per dollar spend, it will then have a few categories:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/major-ch ... -bookings/

5% on Travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
3% on Dining
3% on Drugstore
5% on Lyft through March 2022
1.5% unlimited cash back

But unlike the sibling (Freedom/Flex), it doesn't have rotating categories.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

DTalos wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:47 pm If one is looking for a simple to understand flat rate cash back no annual fee Visa credit card, is the Chase Freedom Unlimited the best current option? I am only interested in having one credit card and not interested in cards with variable cash back rates on categories. Does Chase provide satisfactory customer service for cardholders of this card?
It's a good card, but if you're just looking for cashback I would go with the Citi DoubleCash or Fidelity card (if you have a Fidelity account). Both pay 2% back, as opposed to the FU's 1.5%.

The real value of the FU is when you tie it to the Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards--and use the points from the FU on the Chase reward redemptions available under the Sapphire cards.

But for cashback, you can do better than the FU.

I'm a longtime Chase customer and think the customer service is great.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

It is a good card for the first year or first $20k, if you get the 3% offer.

Otherwise, I would choose a 2% card if I wanted to stick with one card.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I've never had any issues with this card. Some will say better options include 2% cash back cards like Citi Double Cash or the Fidelity card.

Chase is improving the benefits on this card beginning September 13 (perhaps to better compete with the above-named cards) per the E-Mail text below (received earlier this week):

"EARN MORE CASH BACK
ON YOUR CARD STARTING 9/13/2020!
All of this is automatic—no activation required, no annual fee and no caps on the amount of rewards you can earn! Benefits include:
* 5% Unlimited cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
* 3% Unlimited cash back on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
* 3% Unlimited cash back on drugstore purchases
* Plus, continue to earn 1.5% unlimited cash back on everything else you buy.
Simply use your card to enjoy your new earning power starting September 13, 2020 — it's all automatic, no activation required and no annual fee."

Also,

https://www.mymoneyblog.com/chase-freed ... anges.html

EDIT: I see that I was too slow in my reply, so sorry for the repeat information.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Even with the new changes it's not a very interesting card (unless you're a Sapphire card holder). The 3% dining/delivery might be decent after the pandemic.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

cowdogman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 pm
DTalos wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:47 pm If one is looking for a simple to understand flat rate cash back no annual fee Visa credit card, is the Chase Freedom Unlimited the best current option? I am only interested in having one credit card and not interested in cards with variable cash back rates on categories. Does Chase provide satisfactory customer service for cardholders of this card?
It's a good card, but if you're just looking for cashback I would go with the Citi DoubleCash or Fidelity card (if you have a Fidelity account). Both pay 2% back, as opposed to the FU's 1.5%.
With the new bonus categories it’s not as simple of a comparison anymore. One would need to spend a moment estimating the spend across categories to see which works out better.

Also, I believe the DoubleCash card is a MasterCard. The OP is looking for a Visa (perhaps for Costco use?).
arf30 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:23 pm Even with the new changes it's not a very interesting card (unless you're a Sapphire card holder). The 3% dining/delivery might be decent after the pandemic.
I think the OP is looking for the simplicity of a single Visa card.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 pm
With the new bonus categories it’s not as simple of a comparison anymore. One would need to spend a moment estimating the spend across categories to see which works out better.

Also, I believe the DoubleCash card is a MasterCard. The OP is looking for a Visa (perhaps for Costco use?).
If that were the case, I would suggest the Citibank Costco Visa.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Alliant cash back card is 2.5% on everything, every day, all the time. I switched to it earlier this year. Nothing really compares with it as far as simplicity. There’s a $99 annual fee that is waived the first year which is the main drag on it. If you spend at least $19,800 per year that will cover the fee and make it a net win over a zero fee 2% card, not factoring in the free first year.

Edit: whoops it’s $59 after the first year .. much better
batpot

Post by batpot »

Impatience wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:45 pm Alliant cash back card is 2.5% on everything, every day, all the time. I switched to it earlier this year. Nothing really compares with it as far as simplicity. There’s a $99 annual fee that is waived the first year which is the main drag on it. If you spend at least $19,800 per year that will cover the fee and make it a net win over a zero fee 2% card, not factoring in the free first year.

Edit: whoops it’s $59 after the first year .. much better
Website says $99, not $59.
https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank ... ature-card
And it looks like they nerfed the 3% the first year. We used this to pay daycare for a year via plastiq :greedy

We still have a Freedom Unlimited when we had the CSR, since it's no annual fee, why not?
Have been sitting on a Freedom "Flex" card for years as well.

Currently using Citi Premier and Citi Double Cash, but that value is entirely in travel rewards/miles, which are about useless for us during the pandemic.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

The real value of the FU is when you tie it to the Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards--and use the points from the FU on the Chase reward redemptions available under the Sapphire cards.

But for cashback, you can do better than the FU.

I'm a longtime Chase customer and think the customer service is great.
:thumbsup

The DoubleCash is hard to beat for ease of use and solid rewards. But I agree with you that my experience as a Chase cardholder for nearly 20 years has been overall very positive. The only snafu I've encountered was a few months ago when I opted to use reward points to buy a Krispy Kreme gift card rather than take cash. The gift card didn't work, and the replacement card they sent didn't work either. It took several phone calls to rectify the situation.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

I currently have a Chase branded airline credit card that I would like to cancel because I no longer fly that airline and the other reward options are not interesting to me, plus that card has an annual fee. I applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa online and was not accepted. Chase indicated they will give me a reason in 7-10 business days. I already have an excellent credit history with Chase. Is there an appeal process?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

DTalos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 pm I currently have a Chase branded airline credit card that I would like to cancel because I no longer fly that airline and the other reward options are not interesting to me, plus that card has an annual fee. I applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa online and was not accepted. Chase indicated they will give me a reason in 7-10 business days. I already have an excellent credit history with Chase. Is there an appeal process?
Were you actually denied, or simply not instantly approved? A family member received a similar message when applying for a Chase card last year, and was approved sometime in the next 10 days upon further review. No additional intervention was required.

I assume you are trying to get the new account bonus, but failing this, you could also just request they switch your current card to a Freedom Unlimited Visa.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:18 pm
DTalos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 pm I currently have a Chase branded airline credit card that I would like to cancel because I no longer fly that airline and the other reward options are not interesting to me, plus that card has an annual fee. I applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa online and was not accepted. Chase indicated they will give me a reason in 7-10 business days. I already have an excellent credit history with Chase. Is there an appeal process?
Were you actually denied, or simply not instantly approved? A family member received a similar message when applying for a Chase card last year, and was approved sometime in the next 10 days upon further review. No additional intervention was required.

I assume you are trying to get the new account bonus, but failing this, you could also just request they switch your current card to a Freedom Unlimited Visa.

Yes, I answered the application questions for a new card that comes with a bonus. I forgot the exact words (it wasn't denied) but I wasn't accepted and they were going to give me a reason in 7-10 days. I read online that I can't change from a Chase airline credit card to a Freedom Unlimited Visa credit card.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

My bet is you will be approved.

https://wallethub.com/answers/cc/chase- ... 140661723/

1-800-432-3117 to check Chase application status.