How much to take down this tree?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atikovi

How much to take down this tree?

Post by atikovi »

I already trimmed the branches and limbs up to 6 inches diameter while standing on the roof this spring and this is as far as I can comfortably go. I just need a tree service to take the rest down. I don't even need them to cut it up or haul away. I can do that myself. I was thinking somewhere around $300, maybe $400 tops.
runner3081

Re: How much to take down this tree?

Post by runner3081 »

Your estimate of cost is extremely low.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:57 pm Your estimate of cost is extremely low.
2 guys, maybe 2 hours. Seems reasonable to me.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Doing piece by piece is actually the way a lot of tree guys do it. Personally, I'd get a pole saw and continue taking bites out of it. Looking quickly, there are electric ones for fifty bucks. I've got a gas echo and it works well.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Frugalbear

Post by Frugalbear »

375 in PA... Just had something like this done
Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 »

300 seems reasonable for here in New England- lots of lumberjacks around here might do it cheaper as a Saturday afternoon project.
Seems like you have a lot of it knocked out already I might just keep going at it with a pole saw as you are almost to the point where cutting the trunk will miss the garage. Just take small pieces - step by step.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

The thing is, the limbs over the garage are 6-8 feet off the roof and are 6-8 inches in diameter. I'd basically have to cut 6 inches at a time and even those chunks are going to be 15-20 pounds falling on the roof.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Why not get a few estimates locally? Should be a lot more relevant than a bunch of guesses by we non-arborists here.
Semper Augustus
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Can you get a rope around the upper part and pull/winch it forwards? Hard to tell how much roof it would need to clear. Alternatively, belay off the standing trees to the left and cut chunks.

Where I live tree professionals charge a lot more for danger trees or those near powerlines, $400 would be a bargain but the trees tend to be bigger too.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Teague wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:03 pm Why not get a few estimates locally? Should be a lot more relevant than a bunch of guesses by we non-arborists here.
Call ONE guy in and if he will do it in the 300-400 range have him do it right then and there.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Are those power lines in the picture?
If so, add to cost.

If roof is old or unstable, add to cost.

Vent pipe nearby. Add to cost.

A pro company will use a boom truck and not touch that roof. Add to cost.

That black car is inches from that garage wall. Is it drivable or do the tree trimmers have to work with it there?

Prices might range from 3-400 to do it kinda maybe safetly to Up to 800++ for a Licensed insured pro with cleanup.

I’ve handled this type of thing during sitework. Boom truck and several tree professionals as well as a damage waiver from the owner. I would stabilize the main with a backhoe or mid excavator. Then use the boom truck to take the top half off. Try to eliminate any chance of damaging the garage or property. No lawsuits.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

atikovi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:01 pm The thing is, the limbs over the garage are 6-8 feet off the roof and are 6-8 inches in diameter. I'd basically have to cut 6 inches at a time and even those chunks are going to be 15-20 pounds falling on the roof.
Free old matress on craigslist? A couple sheets of 5/8"+ plywood would also probably be enough protection

We rencently had a tree a little bigger than that taken down for $1500 including haul away and a full canopy. This was a full service operation that i knew for a fact had insurance and did good work. When I find a company like that cost doesnt matter anymore for me.

You can probably get a cut rate guy to do it for $400 but no one goes on my roof without insurance.

Expect a shoulder shrug when if he punches a hole the roof.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Depends a lot on how confident you want to be that the garage isn't damaged. You can save some bucks if you're willing to gamble it up.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Did you ever show us the AFTER picture of the last job that you had done? Was it a hack job?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MJD

Post by MJD »

A grand easy for an insured arborist. 500 for a cowboy with a chainsaw and story about arborist training.

Bucket trucks and legit outfits ain't cheap.

Also figure for the couple hours they are there, they could be doing a more profitable, easier job with no roof contact.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:42 pm
atikovi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:01 pm The thing is, the limbs over the garage are 6-8 feet off the roof and are 6-8 inches in diameter. I'd basically have to cut 6 inches at a time and even those chunks are going to be 15-20 pounds falling on the roof.
Free old matress on craigslist? A couple sheets of 5/8"+ plywood would also probably be enough protection

We rencently had a tree a little bigger than that taken down for $1500 including haul away and a full canopy. This was a full service operation that i knew for a fact had insurance and did good work. When I find a company like that cost doesnt matter anymore for me.

You can probably get a cut rate guy to do it for $400 but no one goes on my roof without insurance.

Expect a shoulder shrug when if he punches a hole the roof.
A relative just spent 1500.00 getting a crew with a bucket truck to remove some limbs from a large pecan tree.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
shiftleft

Post by shiftleft »

I suggest you call a true professional. If not, I suggest you watch some videos under "tree cutting fails" on youtube first, then call a professional.
WealthConstructor

Post by WealthConstructor »

Do you want the stump removed as well?

I would agree, not worth it to get an unlicensed and uninsured cowboy.
celia

Post by celia »

Have you reported the tree that is about to lean on the power lines to the power company so they can do preventive work to protect their lines and not have a power outage? (meaning, see if they can do it for you for free as you are a paying customer)
medic

Post by medic »

I just got quotes from 4 licensed/insured arborists for trees a property in MCOL suburbs near me. Near structures and all limbs will need to be roped down. Ranged from $7K to $11K for the exact same job including permits - wrote down and marked the trees and what needed to be done so they all quoted apples to apples. Like 2nd cheapest, but asked him to work with me on price. Didn't try to use other arborists quote against him. 10% off with nothing more than a polite request and giving him schedule flexibility.

Point is, it all depends on what they think your willingness to pay is and how busy they are. For what you're looking at, and how we were quoted probably closer to $800-$1200. Given the picture, you maybe able to contact folks on Yelp and send them the pic for them to quote you.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I enlarged the pix and perhaps I missed it, but I don't see any power lines, just some long-thin branches. I agree with others to find a pro (and insured) for a few extra $$. I happily pay for the peace of mind.
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

I would call your municipality or electric company because it is so close to the power lines. They may come out and have it done for free; but they won't grind down the stump.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Mr.BB wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:55 am I would call your municipality or electric company because it is so close to the power lines. They may come out and have it done for free; but they won't grind down the stump.
If it’s like the utility by me, they only care about the pole lines. That looks like the line to the home. They won’t do free maintenance on those lines.

FWIW I just paid $2800 cash to have a 60 ft oak and stump removed Took 8 guys maybe 4 hours.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:42 pm
A couple sheets of 5/8"+ plywood would also probably be enough protection
I was thinking the same thing although I would 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood. If this was my property, I would have already taken it down.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Not sure where people see power lines in that picture. There is no power connected to the garage. Don't plywood sheets weigh like 50 pounds?
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I had two trees taken down for about $350. It was quite and efficient operation.

But cost will be influenced by laws and regulations. In D.C., you could be looking at $600 to $1,000 for all I know.

JT
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

If those are electrical wires (communication lines are not covered by the OSHA thing) only certain companies have the OHSA certification to get close to them for tree removal. That's going to cost more. Two guys and a chain saw $400. For a licensed and insured company, $1000 or more. If they cut it wrong and it breaks the wire or crashes into the building and they are not fully insured, what then? Some companies charge more if the tree is dead since they don't know how its going to break and fall if its rotten.

(It looks like a wire - pole to pole? - going above the building.)

Post by 999 »

atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 am Not sure where people see power lines in that picture. There is no power connected to the garage. Don't plywood sheets weigh like 50 pounds?
60lbs but spread out over 4x8’. You standing on the roof is quite a bit more PSI.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 am Don't plywood sheets weigh like 50 pounds?
Half sheets are half that.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

999 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:29 am
atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 am Not sure where people see power lines in that picture. There is no power connected to the garage. Don't plywood sheets weigh like 50 pounds?
60lbs but spread out over 4x8’. You standing on the roof is quite a bit more PSI.
I mean lugging it up on to the roof.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Ping Pong wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:33 am
atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 am Don't plywood sheets weigh like 50 pounds?
Math major?
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:38 am
Ping Pong wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:33 am
Math major?
No, I was just saying you can cut the sheets to get them on the roof.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Just teasin.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

If its not over the garage $300 would be fair.
If it is and requires more careful maneuvering $500-$1500.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Need a photo from the side
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

hard to tell from photo how much of the tree is actually over the roof. Pic from a different angle would be useful.
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

So OP, how much is the quote from local guys who would actually do this for you?
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

I have no idea. A while back though somebody else said they had more than one $15k estimate to remove a 'very large' tree (usefully in this thread there's a picture showing this is not a huge tree) and some people were also saying 'that should cost about $300'. :happy So I would take $300 with a grain of salt and just see what real guys (insured professionals) quote you, or just have somebody hack it and risk it falling onto the garage, it might not, right? :happy A friend paid $5k recently to remove a tree, though again that was a very big one, and required blocking an urban street and taking fairly small pieces off one at a time with a crane.
goaties

Post by goaties »

There's another issue: there is ivy growing all up and down your tree and at least three of what look to be your neighbor's trees. They'll be falling down soon too, if the ivy is the type which sucks the mortal juices from a tree (and I think most do). Perhaps you and your neighbor could get a package deal from a tree guy?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

atikovi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:02 am Image
Better picture.
thanks!11

price just went up

lots of stuff leaning over this roof
careful not to damage that gutter
tree looks unstable
property line nearby and fence so less side access?

I've worked with tree contractors that would'nt touch this job because of liability and roof concerns.

$3000, license pro insured contractor might be one estimate. Include hall away. Clear everything over that roof.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

why would you let them fall on the roof? Clearly you have never trimmed trees... Buy a decent rope... anyone could knock this out in a couple of hours...
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Perhaps you have to buy a new roof soon too? I would not let a tree lean over my property like that. This is not a do-it-yourself job, get several estimates and get it done.
Your picture is from last winter, now with leaves those branches probably are touching your roof already. You probably had storms, will have snow and ice storms coming, others will have parts of tropical storms. Those could lead to Mother Nature damage your roof anyway.
My neighbor just had half a tall pine hit his house. I then paid $8,600 to have 2 of my very large pines removed and 2 other large pines the upper 1/3 removed. I sleep much better now.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

You could try it yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM24klVyxFk. But then you'd have to figure out what to do with all the rope and pulleys after...
RCL

Post by RCL »

If I were doing this I would devise some kind of scaffolding so I could reach the work, and then cut small sections at a time (also tying off each section to be cut).
The roof slope does not appear to be too steep to do this

But then again, I'm a crazy DIYer
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

To my eye, the branches are entangled or at least closr to a power line.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Topic Author
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Nope no power lines within 100 feet at the street.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Having gone back to compare the pictures, what I initially took to be power lines are clearly long thin branches.

My vote: pay somebody to do it, swallow hard at the price, and be done with it.

Several years ago I got on the roof of my house with a chain saw to cut a big limb that was hanging partly on, but mostly off, the edge of the roof. I managed to cut what I intended and it fell where I wanted. However, there was still a fair amount left hanging that I could not handle. I ended up paying someone to cut it. A couple years later, I paid the same guys to take the entire tree down because I did not want that huge tree on my house.

Looking back, I was foolish to sit on the edge of my roof while chainsawing. Also, that was my last trip onto the roof for any reason. Done means done!
squirm

Post by squirm »

That roof doesn't look like a big deal, hardly and pitch and single story...at least for me but everyone is different.