Where to buy disinfectant wipes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
haranoth

Where to buy disinfectant wipes?

Post by haranoth »

I have been looking into Costco, amazon, walmart, slickdeals and many other nearby stores for some disinfectant wipes.
Pretty much everyone seems to be out.
At this rate, might be easier to get a unicorn than those wipes.
Any nudge in the right places to look is much appreciated.

Thanks
livesoft

Re: Where to buy disinfectant wipes?

Post by livesoft »

amazon.com has them ... as well as lots of other things. You don't even have to leave your home to have them show up at your door.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

I saw a big display of Clorox wipes at Walgreens. Not sure where you live though...
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Costco has had them pretty consistently here (Southern California). Big five packs of Clorox wipes, and multi packs of their own Kirkland wipes. Maybe not every single time we go, but like 90% of the time they’ll have at least one of those.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

We've had good luck with walmart.com.

Was able to get wipes, rubbing alcohol, yeast and corn starch, all of which have been missing from our local walmart shelves. Put in a large enough order and you don't even have to pay shipping.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I am surprised at all of the people who buy those wipes. We use towels/rags and paper towels with rubbing alcohol, vinegar, bleach or Moldex.

Have never considered buying those wipes.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Yesterday, I purchased a multi-pack of Clorox wipes at our Tumwater, WA Costco. If you are close to a Costco, you can call them about 8:00am and ask them if they have either the Clorox wipes or their Kirkland wipes in stock. The wipes are limited to 1 pack per purchase.

I've noticed they are not available for delivery.
Last edited by Gnirk on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:44 pm I am surprised at all of the people who buy those wipes. We use towels/rags and paper towels with rubbing alcohol, vinegar, bleach or Moldex.

Have never considered buying those wipes.
I keep a pack in each of our cars. Along with a variety of masks.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I bought some Purell pump bottles from amazon recently at a decent price. Peapod(Stop & Shop) in my area has Clorox disinfecting wipes listed although I don't know if they are actually in stock.

My impression is we have moved to stage 3 about some things, Stage 1 not available, Stage 2 ripoffs and price gouging, Stage 3 sort of available.
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:44 pm I am surprised at all of the people who buy those wipes.
We use wipes when away from home when home-made solution is not readily available. Just like hand sanitizer is for the road, we use soap and water at home.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Never understood why people buy them. I just use paper towels and a spray cleaner. What benefit do these wipes have over that?
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

haranoth wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:20 pm I have been looking into Costco, amazon, walmart, slickdeals and many other nearby stores for some disinfectant wipes.
Not sure when you looked but plenty of stock through Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=disinfecting+wipes
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Topic Author
haranoth

Post by haranoth »

atikovi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:50 pm Never understood why people buy them. I just use paper towels and a spray cleaner. What benefit do these wipes have over that?
Probably will end up doing that from now on. Now onto convincing the wife
Topic Author
haranoth

Post by haranoth »

I am surprised so many are saying they are getting the wipes so easily in their area.
I live in eastern mass, all the store shelves are empty for wipes. and amazon.com did not find clorox / amazon basics brnad. May be just getting unlucky
aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa »

My kids needed these wipes for school so I stalked Walmart and Target. They usually had stock about 8 am but not so much later in the day.
davebo

Post by davebo »

They aren't easy to find here, but everyone says that if you go to Target early in the morning that you will find them (probably anywhere early). I happened to be in Target early one day and did see them there.

I don't see the need for them though, I just a spray and rag. They are good for when you're in the car though.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:51 pm
haranoth wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:20 pm I have been looking into Costco, amazon, walmart, slickdeals and many other nearby stores for some disinfectant wipes.
Not sure when you looked but plenty of stock through Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=disinfecting+wipes
If one goes ahead and orders, are these orders really filled?

If so, strange, given what is totally unavailable in this region.
But we'll try!
Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:40 pmIf one goes ahead and orders, are these orders really filled?
I don't know about disinfecting wipes, but I ordered some nitrile gloves that I didn't expect to get right away and they showed up at the door at the time stated about 2 days later. Everything else I have ordered has been on time all through the summer including things shipped via USPS. Back in May it was as slightly different story.

The OP's issue I think is that they are trying to get name-brand disinfecting wipes when they could just get generic and be fine.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I have been buying these.
Not quite the clorox wipes, but the next best thing.
Plus they are more environmentally friendly than the Clorox wipes

https://www.staples.com/caresour-hand-s ... t_24443474
https://www.staples.com/hand-sanitizer- ... t_24447409

I use them to wipe down packages -- don't go as far as the clorox; but they are available
and a lot less expensive.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

We’ve mostly stopped using them. Since transmission is mostly through the air, the family just relies on masks and hand washing.

We see wipes at our grocery store every other trip, other than late in the day.
yohac

Post by yohac »

Depends by location of course but DW has frequently found antibacterial Wet Ones and the like at Target in the section where you buy small travel items. Where people don't usually look.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

haranoth wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:03 pm I am surprised so many are saying they are getting the wipes so easily in their area.
I live in eastern mass, all the store shelves are empty for wipes. and amazon.com did not find clorox / amazon basics brnad. May be just getting unlucky
Did you try Market Basket? They were well stocked last time we were there.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

They've been reliably in stock at my local Ace Hardware.
student

Post by student »

yohac wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 pm Depends by location of course but DW has frequently found antibacterial Wet Ones and the like at Target in the section where you buy small travel items. Where people don't usually look.
I am not sure Wet Ones is effective. I have see articles such as https://www.nch.org/news/parents-ask-th ... questions/
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Walmart.com shows Clorox Disinfecting Wipes are available for purchase and in stock for 'in-store purchase only' where I live.

You would probably be better off getting (or making your own) disinfecting spray and using disposable/paper towels.

If COVID-19 is the concern, it might be worthy of consideration that contact with surfaces "is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads"
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... reads.html
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
justglassin

Post by justglassin »

JoMoney wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:11 pm Walmart.com shows Clorox Disinfecting Wipes are available for purchase and in stock for 'in-store purchase only' where I live.

You would probably be better off getting (or making your own) disinfecting spray and using disposable/paper towels.

If COVID-19 is the concern, it might be worthy of consideration that contact with surfaces "is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads"
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... reads.html
Yes this. I think we may benefit from lingering changes in behavior re contact/surface/hand washing awareness during flu season (I work in an office where we all have to use the same nasty door handle to enter our secure area), but the run on wipes for covid seems to, by latest reporting, be less important than distancing and avoiding potential "super spreader" events (e.g., choir practice).
jcar

Post by jcar »

We've been making our own. Go to You Tube for the simple recipie. It takes about 5 minutes. Works as well as any store bought wipe if you want alcohol based.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

Just search Youtube "How to make disinfectant wipes". There are dozens of videos showing you how. It's simple, low cost and they do the job intended. Good luck!
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Eastern MA here. No major brand wipes available for shipment from Amazon, Walmart, Target. I am sure that some off-brand wipes can be found at whatever prices. Also the early morning idea sounds good. But we have not been going to stores.We lucked into a 3 pack of jumbo size Clorox wipes cannisters at the very start of this situation. They were stocking the shelf as I walked by. Will use spray and paper towels if/when they run out.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

student wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 pm
yohac wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 pm Depends by location of course but DW has frequently found antibacterial Wet Ones and the like at Target in the section where you buy small travel items. Where people don't usually look.
I am not sure Wet Ones is effective. I have see articles such as https://www.nch.org/news/parents-ask-th ... questions/
I didn't look up "Wet Ones", but "antibacterial" is not necessarily useful in this case. It's a virus, with different properties, etc.
Some substances, like alcohol, might work on both, but some others might not,

NOTE: I am NOT an expert about anti-viral substances, so we are trying to stick with 70% alcohol, and keep the area moist for a couple of minutes.
That, or submerging or rubbing with soapy water, which apparently happens to be effective to destroy this particular type of viral particle.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Buy any wipe that's in a re-sealable, pop-top packet and pour in your own disinfectant.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I haven’t tried this, but I saw this while pinning and thought it was a good idea...

https://myheavenlyrecipes.com/how-to-ma ... ing-wipes/
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Our local Home Depot was stocked to the gills with every possible kind of cleaning and disinfect products this weekend.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:46 pm Our local Home Depot was stocked to the gills with every possible kind of cleaning and disinfect products this weekend.
Same here near Washington, D.C. They used the space normally used for seasonal merch.