Electric shaver

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Peanutsandme

Electric shaver

Post by Peanutsandme »

Hello Hairy Bogleheads -

Can you recommend a high quality electric shaver?

This will be a daily shaver

Accessories not important, most important that it shaves a man's face well

Under $200

Thank you
Kelrex

Re: Electric shaver

Post by Kelrex »

Following, also need this info.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I've been using electric shavers for decades. Tried many brands. Currently using a Braun 7 series for a few years, it's the best I've ever used and I'm happy with it. Think I paid about $120 but it was on sale for Christmas. It's worth a look.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

fsrph wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:26 pm I've been using electric shavers for decades. Tried many brands. Currently using a Braun 7 series for a few years, it's the best I've ever used and I'm happy with it. Think I paid about $120 but it was on sale for Christmas. It's worth a look.

Francis
+1
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

The Best Electric Razor
Modern electric razors can deliver impressively close shaves, but they can’t quite match the closeness of manual razors. Over more than five years of testing, 13 electric razor testers have buzzed and clipped a path toward what we hoped would be silken-jawed nirvana—and we’ve found that Braun’s Series 7 models are the best electric razors for removing facial hair. The Series 7 razors consistently produce close, comfortable shaves and are easy to use and maintain.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... ric-razor/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

fsrph wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:26 pm I've been using electric shavers for decades. Tried many brands. Currently using a Braun 7 series for a few years, it's the best I've ever used and I'm happy with it. Think I paid about $120 but it was on sale for Christmas. It's worth a look.

Francis
Does it cut as close as a standard Gillette, et. al. cartridge?

I used to have an electric, but my beard grows so fast, my 5 o'clock shadow came at 1pm.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

I also have the Braun 7 series with cleaning station.
Replace the cleaning station with refills from Amazon q2months. So it’s like $30/year.
I notice a closer shave if I shave every other day, but I shave daily.
No electric is going to beat a blade.
sandan

Post by sandan »

I have both the arc4 and arc5.

Overall I'm happy with both. The arc5 has better weight, but I don't think it cuts any better.

the arc4 ranges from $75-$100. definitely worth replacing the blades and foil every year @ ~$40.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
Businesscasual

Post by Businesscasual »

Agree on the new Braun Series 7. I've done a lot of research and would say generally people tend to rate the Panasonic Arc5 slightly higher. I bought it and tried to love it but it irritated my skin and didn't get nearly as close as the Braun.
sport

Post by sport »

I have used a Norelco for many years and I'm happy with it. I have not compared it to the others mentioned above. You can get a Norelco at Costco, so the cost will be reasonable.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Francis
Does it cut as close as a standard Gillette, et. al. cartridge?

I used to have an electric, but my beard grows so fast, my 5 o'clock shadow came at 1pm.
If you're comparing against a standard razor blade, I'd say the Braun 7 doesn't shave as close. But, it does give a consistently great shave and doesn't irritate my skin. I don't know if any electric razor will shave as close as a blade.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Braun series 5
Norelco

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

After decades of trial, error and experience the answer is:

Braun
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I just bought a lousy $50 electric shaver to replace an acceptable one that quit working after three years. (On disassembling it to remove the lithium battery I discovered what had happened: for whatever reason, despite the shaver being "waterproof" (and never immersed in water), water had somehow gotten in past the seal. Anyway.

Can someone tell me, in a general way, what's the difference between a $50 shaver and a $120 shaver? What things are made differently, higher quality, etc.?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
modest_man

Post by modest_man »

I know this is a thread about electric shavers, but you can't go wrong with a double edged safey razor. Super quick and close shave every time.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've bounced back and forth between Braun and Panasonic over the last 30 years. Both work for me, with a heavy beard. So I'd suggest whatever you can find on sale at the time.

I've tried rotaries like Norelco, but didn't like them. Not as close, and they dulled quickly.

Be aware that the first few weeks/month with any electric can be sort of painful.

And IMO, no, they will never be as close or smooth as a top notch blade and cream. But they will be much more convenient, and "good enough" for me at least.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:55 pm I just bought a lousy $50 electric shaver to replace an acceptable one that quit working after three years. (On disassembling it to remove the lithium battery I discovered what had happened: for whatever reason, despite the shaver being "waterproof" (and never immersed in water), water had somehow gotten in past the seal. Anyway.

Can someone tell me, in a general way, what's the difference between a $50 shaver and a $120 shaver? What things are made differently, higher quality, etc.?
It's a good question to ask and I can just pass on my experiences. I got by with a cheap Norelco or Remington rotary electric shaver for years. Seemed like they were underpowered and I had to replace the cutting heads often. Sometimes it was cheaper to just buy a new cheap shaver than replace the heads. I then tried a slightly more expensive unit, a Braun 3 series. Cut well although the cutting head was immobile and rather small.

An even more expensive unit, like my current Braun 7 series, seems to have more power and I haven't had to replace the cutting unit yet (had it over two years). Still cuts great. Cutting surface appears larger so it can complete a shave in less time. Cutting surface flexes in many directions. As electric shavers get more expensive they have more gizmos - like cleaning stations and ways to sense beard thickness but these were not important to me. To sum it up a more expensive unit generally seem built better with, more importantly, a much better cutting head (plus the gizmos).

Francis
pascalwager

Post by pascalwager »

I daily rotate two old Norelcos: one was more expensive and the other a cheaper model. They work well for me with yearly head replacements. I bought the cheaper one when I thought the other one had died, but it just needed charging, I guess. Both are water washable. I take both fully charged when I'm camping (living out of my vehicle) for a few weeks. Then I just blow them clean.

I tried to use a blade way back in military basic training. but it didn't work at all for me. Just ask Drill Sergeant Rose.