Spouse: How to get REAL ID driver's license without social security card and recent job?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doss

Spouse: How to get REAL ID driver's license without social security card and recent job?

Post by doss »

Hello,
My wife's driver's license expired and she needs to get it renewed. It will need to be a "REAL ID" driver's license, thus she will need to bring one of the following documents:

"For REAL ID document purposes, you may not need a Social Security number (SSN) card as proof of an SSN. Instead, a recent pay stub, W-2 (wage and tax statement), SSA-1099 (Social Security Benefit Statement) or other tax documents showing your full name and entire SSN may be acceptable proof of your SSN."

-- https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

My question is: She can not find her social security card. She also does not currently have a job (is a SAHM) thus no recent W-2 or pay stub. I am unsure about a SSA-1099 or other "tax documents" showing full name and entire SSN.

Anyone have any advice or tips on what to do to get a REAL ID? Thank you
sailaway

Re: Spouse: How to get REAL ID driver's license without social security card and recent job?

Post by sailaway »

Why doesn't she request a replacement card?

Does she have any tax statements from interest or dividends from last year?

And why, in the name of all that is good, are we not allowed to use our passports as proof of citizenship?! I had this problem in TX long ago and ended up sitting in the SS office for an hour or two, on top of the DMV time.
mcraepat9

Re: Spouse: How to get REAL ID driver's license without social security card and recent job?

Post by mcraepat9 »

She doesn't have a 1099 from your bank showing her name and SSN? That would be my go-to.

You can order replacement social security cards from the SSA.

Why does she need a REAL ID? A lot of people I know are not getting REAL IDs due to the paperwork/in-person/general annoyances that come from getting this form of ID.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 pm Why doesn't she request a replacement card?

Does she have any tax statements from interest or dividends from last year?

And why, in the name of all that is good, are we not allowed to use our passports as proof of citizenship?! I had this problem in TX long ago and ended up sitting in the SS office for an hour or two, on top of the DMV time.
A passport is one of several documents that work as proof of citizenship. The SS card, tax document or payroll stub is required as proof of SS#, and is a separate requirement unrelated to citizenship. I'd guess that many Bogelheads will likely find it easier to grab a 1099 from TY2019 than to dig our their SS cards.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I just went through that recently. As a retiree that is not yet drawing Social Security, I do not have a W2. The statements from my investment houses all have the Social Security number obfuscated (only showing the last four digits) for security as do the statements from Ally and my brick-and-mortar bank. In my case, I had a Social Security card, but it was one that was issued during the timeframe when they were printing "not for use as identification" on the card, so I couldn't use that. I ended up having to bite the bullet and submit an application for a replacement card. (Apparently you can't do it online, it has to be done through the mail.) (I was wrong, see correction below.) On the upside, it didn't take all that long for the replacement card to arrive, and I was able to proceed from there.

Good luck.

(By the way, does her tax return from last year show her entire SSN? Mine does. I don't know if your state will accept that method; Tennessee doesn't list a tax return on their list of approved documents, but maybe you could contact your local drivers license office and ask them.)

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 pm And why, in the name of all that is good, are we not allowed to use our passports as proof of citizenship?!
In Tennessee, a RealID applicant has to provide (1) proof of citizenship (a passport does work for this, as does a birth certificate), proof of your Social Security number (W2, investment statement, payroll check stub, 1099), and two documents showing proof of residency (there are a lot of document types that fill this need). Yes, it's complicated, but it is what it is.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Go to your state's Department of Motor Vehicles website and look at the full list of applicable documents.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Here are the REAL ID document requirements for Missouri: https://dor.mo.gov/drivers/documents/RID.pdf

Unless your wife has a 1099 with her name and SSN, she will need to obtain a replacement social security card.
egrets

Post by egrets »

ssa.gov to get a copy of one's Social Security card.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Get a replacement social security card. It is a very easy process.
egrets

Post by egrets »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm I ended up having to bite the bullet and submit an application for a replacement card. (Apparently you can't do it online, it has to be done through the mail.)
That is incorrect.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

In California, if you don't have SS card or or payroll documentation, you can in lieu of that show 2 different printed documents among:
Home deed/title
Mortgage bill or rental/lease agreement
Utility bill (including cell phone)
School Documents
Medical Documents
Insurance Documents
Tax Documents
Postal Service Change of Address confirmation
"Faith-based" documents that include the name and address of organization (I'm guessing this would be like a baptismal record or similar)
Voter registration postcard
Court documents
Letter attesting to individual living in a shelter
A document issued by a U.S. Government agency
Vehicle title/registration

The documents need to show full name and address as listed on the drivers license, one of them can show a PO Box if the other shows both residence and PO Box address.

Really though, she should get a replacement SS card.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pmApparently you can't do it online, it has to be done through the mail.
You can do it online. I did about a year ago. I just checked and there's a link in my online account to request a replacement card.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

egrets wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:55 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm I ended up having to bite the bullet and submit an application for a replacement card. (Apparently you can't do it online, it has to be done through the mail.)
That is incorrect.
I remember being on ssa.gov and seeing that I was not able to apply for a replacement card online. I just checked again, and apparently now I can. It appears that has changed since I last checked. I stand corrected.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor »

My spouse had a similar issue - she had an SS card but had it laminated (that was a thing they were telling people to do at some point - now they won't accept it if it is laminated - go figure). She requested a replacement SS Card which had its own string of requirements but she manged to find the right items for it (I remember once upon a time she had misplaced her driver's license - to get a new license they wanted her SS card - to get a new SS Card they wanted her license - luckily she found her license).
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

mcraepat9 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:34 pm Why does she need a REAL ID? A lot of people I know are not getting REAL IDs due to the paperwork/in-person/general annoyances that come from getting this form of ID.

Beginning in October of next year*, a non-RealID-compliant driver's license will no longer be accepted as proof of identity by the airlines.

* - The deadline was extended one year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

I just did this last month, I used a W2 from 2003 which worked fine :) I believe a 1099 would also work fine.
wander

Post by wander »

HueyLD wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:53 pm Get a replacement social security card. It is a very easy process.
+1. It's not a big deal. Just spend one morning of your time at the agency and get it done.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:59 pm In California, if you don't have SS card or or payroll documentation, you can in lieu of that show 2 different printed documents among:
Home deed/title
School Documents
Medical Documents
Insurance Documents
Tax Documents
"Faith-based" documents that include the name and address of organization (I'm guessing this would be like a baptismal record or similar)
Court documents

The documents need to show full name and address as listed on the drivers license, one of them can show a PO Box if the other shows both residence and PO Box address.
I don't believe that is correct. Those documents on your list establish the applicant as a California resident and two of them must be produced to satisfy that requirement. To satisfy the Social Security card requirement, an applicant in California must present an original of one of these documents showing their name and full SSN: SS card, W-2 form, Social Security Administration (SSA) 1099 form, Non-SSA-1099 form, Pay stub with full SSN, or letter from SSA indicated they are not eligible for a SSN.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-li ... checklist/
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Can she get a non-Real ID license?

When my state (MA) started doing Real ID licenses, they shut down the RMV for a week. Then when they opened up, it was pretty clear that whoever you went to just made up their own rules. 4 different family and inlaw members tried to get it. All had multiple pieces of proof from the list of what you needed and all failed. My drivers license came up for renewal and I renewed it non-Real online in less than 15 minutes. I have a passport. Why would I want to bother with a real ID license?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:12 pm
mcraepat9 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:34 pm Why does she need a REAL ID? A lot of people I know are not getting REAL IDs due to the paperwork/in-person/general annoyances that come from getting this form of ID.

Beginning in October of next year*, a non-RealID-compliant driver's license will no longer be accepted as proof of identity by the airlines.

* - The deadline was extended one year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This is true. However, the inverse is not true. After the deadline, a RealID-compliant driver's license is NOT the only acceptable proof of identity by the airlines. Everyone in my family has four forms of RealID:
  • Driver's license with the RealID gold star
  • Passport Book
  • Passport Card
  • Global Entry Card
Any one of those meets the requirements and will allow us to travel. If OP's wife has any one of those (or there are several other options also), a RealID-compliant DL is not absolutely necessary.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

My state now will let you submit Real ID requests including scans of the relevant documents online.
You still have to go in person but you get a confirmation code which lets you enter the appointment queue.

Not hard.
Watty

Post by Watty »

doss wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:28 pm My wife's driver's license expired and she needs to get it renewed. It will need to be a "REAL ID" driver's license, thus she will need to bring one of the following documents:
She may be able to get a temporary driver's license to use until she can get all the needed paperwork together

One other thing to look for is that if she does not use the maiden name that she was born with then you will need to figure out what proof of name change you will need.

She may also want to change the name on her Social Security account to match the name that she now uses.

My wife sometime uses a hyphenated version of her name like Smith-Watty but she was not always consistent with what she used and was in various computer systems as Smith, Smith-Watty, and Watty. For her middle name she sometimes used Smith and sometimes used the middle name on her birth certificate. To make things more interesting her real maiden name is long so some computer systems will truncate Smith-Watty to be something like Smith-Watt. Her middle name would also sometimes be spelled out and sometimes just be an initial. When we did a refinance the credit reports include list of various names that you have been known as and she had about 25 different versions of her name on the credit report.

That causes some confusion and it is sometimes important to have your drivers license, social security card, Medicare card, and passport match.

People are used to dealing with hyphenated names so if you have something like a Medicare card that says Smith-Watty and a drivers license that says Watty that is usually not a big problem. If it was just Smith on one and Watty on the other then that could be a problem since you often need to show your ID when you are getting medical care.

Anyway when she get the replacement Social Security card be sure to give some thought to what name should be on it. That will be the name that is on her Medicare card when she gets on Medicare.

My wife ended up using Smith-Watty for her Social Security, Medicare, and passport but her drivers license use uses Watty so she had not bothered to change it.
Last edited by Watty on Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

doss wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:28 pm Hello,
My wife's driver's license expired and she needs to get it renewed. It will need to be a "REAL ID" driver's license, thus she will need to bring one of the following documents:

"For REAL ID document purposes, you may not need a Social Security number (SSN) card as proof of an SSN. Instead, a recent pay stub, W-2 (wage and tax statement), SSA-1099 (Social Security Benefit Statement) or other tax documents showing your full name and entire SSN may be acceptable proof of your SSN."

My question is: She can not find her social security card. She also does not currently have a job (is a SAHM) thus no recent W-2 or pay stub. I am unsure about a SSA-1099 or other "tax documents" showing full name and entire SSN.

Check your state DMV website for list of acceptable ID's. For example, this is what CA does:

Watty

Post by Watty »

One more thing on hyphenated names. People outside the US are not as used to hyphenated names. If she will ever be outside the US then having a different name on her passport and driver's license or credit card might cause a problem. We have never run into that but when we are traveling internationally I handle doing things like renting cars.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

My wife's driver's license expired and she needs to get it renewed.
Here in TN, a few of us with recently expired DLs had the option of continuing to drive using their expired license.

Per the TN website, "licenses set to expire between March 12, 2020, and June 29, 2020, will be delayed to expire November 15, 2020." simply by printing this letter: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/safet ... _GO-36.pdf
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I found it surprisingly easy to get a new Social Security card mailed to my address of record by submitting a request through ssa.gov. It arrived in less than 2 weeks.

Marylander1
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm I just went through that recently. As a retiree that is not yet drawing Social Security, I do not have a W2. The statements from my investment houses all have the Social Security number obfuscated (only showing the last four digits) for security as do the statements from Ally and my brick-and-mortar bank. In my case, I had a Social Security card, but it was one that was issued during the timeframe when they were printing "not for use as identification" on the card, so I couldn't use that. I ended up having to bite the bullet and submit an application for a replacement card. (Apparently you can't do it online, it has to be done through the mail.) On the upside, it didn't take all that long for the replacement card to arrive, and I was able to proceed from there.

Good luck.

(By the way, does her tax return from last year show her entire SSN? Mine does. I don't know if your state will accept that method; Tennessee doesn't list a tax return on their list of approved documents, but maybe you could contact your local drivers license office and ask them.)

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 pm And why, in the name of all that is good, are we not allowed to use our passports as proof of citizenship?!
In Tennessee, a RealID applicant has to provide (1) proof of citizenship (a passport does work for this, as does a birth certificate), proof of your Social Security number (W2, investment statement, payroll check stub, 1099), and two documents showing proof of residency (there are a lot of document types that fill this need). Yes, it's complicated, but it is what it is.
You can submit an application for a replacement card online.
celia

Post by celia »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm I have a passport. Why would I want to bother with a real ID license?
You also need a ReadID or passport to enter federal buildings (court houses, Smithsonian museums, federal archives, the IRS sites, your representative(???), national parks, national cemeteries). Why carry a passport around where it can be damaged or lost when you usually carry a driver's license anyways?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

For reference, here is every acceptable form of RealID:

1) Federally-issued Identification
a. U.S. Passport
b. U.S. Passport Card
c. PIV or Federally-issued Personal Identification Verification – Interoperable (PIV-I)
Cards
d. Driver’s License issued by the U.S. Department of State
e. Border Crossing Card (Form DSP-150)
f. DHS “Trusted Traveler” Cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
g. U.S. Military ID (all members of the U.S. Armed Forces [including retirees and
dependent ID card holders]) and veterans.
h. Veterans Health Identification Card issued by the U. S. Department of Veterans
Affairs
i. U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
j. U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-550)
k. Employment Authorization Document issued by DHS (Form I-766)
l. U.S. Refugee Travel Document or other travel document or evidence of immigration
status issued by DHS containing a photograph (Permit to Re-enter Form I-327 and
Refugee Travel Document Form I-571)
m. Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
n. Merchant Mariner Card issued by DHS/United States Coast Guard (USCG)

2) State-issued Identification
o. A driver’s license or identification card issued by a state that meets the REAL ID
standards or has an extension
p. State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
q. State prisoner identification cards
r. Interim Driver’s License issued by a state that meets the REAL ID standards or has
an extension

3) Other
s. Native American Tribal Photo ID
t. Foreign government-issued passport

I find that people get FAR too fixated on 2o as the only possible solution.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Does she have a passport?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm I have a passport. Why would I want to bother with a real ID license?
You also need a ReadID or passport to enter federal buildings (court houses, Smithsonian museums, federal archives, the IRS sites, your representative(???), national parks, national cemeteries). Why carry a passport around where it can be damaged or lost when you usually carry a driver's license anyways?
You do not need a RealID to enter the Smithsonian or national parks.
increment

Post by increment »

Maybe you would like to have a Real ID while you are without your passport, when it comes time to renew it.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 pm And why, in the name of all that is good, are we not allowed to use our passports as proof of citizenship?! I had this problem in TX long ago and ended up sitting in the SS office for an hour or two, on top of the DMV time.
Really? Passports are accepted as an alternative to a Real ID compliant drivers license, so it seems strange that they would not accept them for issuing the ID.

This is very confusing. Social Security numbers are explicitly an ID number for social security (duh); extended for use commonly as a tax identification number; which by extension means applicability to employment, financial accounts, and some insurance purposes; and have been allowed to be used for some additional purposes like credit reporting.

Social Security numbers and cards are not and never were intended to be proof of nationality or identity (which is a contentious topic in its own right). That is what a passport is for, so I'm at a complete loss why they would reject passports for this purpose. Passports, in turn, are typically based on birth certificates as proof of citizenship, or on secondary documents that in combination provide similar evidence.

It appears the State Department doesn't even accept Social Security cards as a form of ID for issuing a passport even as secondary evidence.

Combined with the financial risks of wanton use of social security numbers, I'm surprised there haven't been bigger legal challenges, if not over Real ID mandates as a whole, at least over the requirements for issuing them.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

palanzo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:39 pm
Nor national cemeteries. At the one near me, gates are open all day with no one present.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:47 pm
sailaway wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:33 pm And why, in the name of all that is good, are we not allowed to use our passports as proof of citizenship?! I had this problem in TX long ago and ended up sitting in the SS office for an hour or two, on top of the DMV time.
Really? Passports are accepted as an alternative to a Real ID compliant drivers license, so it seems strange that they would not accept them for issuing the ID.

This is very confusing. Social Security numbers are explicitly an ID number for social security (duh); extended for use commonly as a tax identification number; which by extension means applicability to employment, financial accounts, and some insurance purposes; and have been allowed to be used for some additional purposes like credit reporting.

Social Security numbers and cards are not and never were intended to be proof of nationality or identity (which is a contentious topic in its own right). That is what a passport is for, so I'm at a complete loss why they would reject passports for this purpose. Passports, in turn, are typically based on birth certificates as proof of citizenship, or on secondary documents that in combination provide similar evidence.

It appears the State Department doesn't even accept Social Security cards as a form of ID for issuing a passport even as secondary evidence.

Combined with the financial risks of wanton use of social security numbers, I'm surprised there haven't been bigger legal challenges, if not over Real ID mandates as a whole, at least over the requirements for issuing them.
viewtopic.php?p=5470022#p5470022
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

nordsteve wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:50 pm
palanzo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:39 pm
Nor national cemeteries. At the one near me, gates are open all day with no one present.
Good to know. I thought not but was not sure about some of the other ones.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

That is incorrect.
It can be correct. I tried online, was told it had to be by mail (or in person).

Massachusetts required both passport and social security card (which could NOT be laminated.)

Check your state DMV or RMV for their frequirements.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

RudyS wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:10 pm
That is incorrect.
It can be correct. I tried online, was told it had to be by mail (or in person).

Massachusetts required both passport and social security card (which could NOT be laminated.)

Check your state DMV or RMV for their frequirements.
That is not correct.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html
As long as you’re only requesting a replacement card, and no other changes, you can use our free online services from anywhere. All you need to do is log in to or create your personal my Social Security account.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

palanzo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:25 pm
That is incorrect.

Check your state DMV or RMV for their requirements.
EDITED TO UPDATE:
That is not correct.

As long as you’re only requesting a replacement card, and no other changes, you can use our free online services from anywhere. All you need to do is log in to or create your personal my Social Security account.
You had my hopes up, so I tried again just now, thinking the situation may have changed due to COVID. THIS IS WHAT I GOT:

"We're sorry. We cannot process your request.

You cannot request a replacement card online.

Please contact your local office if you need a replacement card."

I don't know what "correct" means, but it isn't the same for everyone.

EDITED TO UPDATE: My problem seems (see post below) that my card was issued 60 years ago!
Last edited by RudyS on Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rec630

Post by rec630 »

I chose to NOT get a REALID. I had opted to pay the extra for an additional passport card at the time I renewed my passport.

I was not able to request a replacement SSN card online and had to go into an office. I also got the "You cannot request a replacement card online" msg although my state showed as one that allowed it.

At that time I was told because I, or rather my parents, had gotten my card 50 some odd years ago and the system has changed a couple of times, default values that were no longer valid had been used in some fields preventing them to be used/accessed with the current process and the service rep had to correct them in order for me to do things online.
Last edited by rec630 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I had to get a replacement card before the pandemic and was also told to visit our local SSA office because it could not be done online. In addition, they did not allow reservations for such a simple task.

Well, driving and waitIng there for about half an hour was manageable. The most difficult part was parking as I got the last open slot that was a bit small for my car.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

RudyS wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 pm
palanzo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:25 pm
That is incorrect.

Check your state DMV or RMV for their requirements.
That is not correct.

You had my hopes up, so I tried again just now, thinking the situation may have changed due to COVID. THIS IS WHAT I GOT:

"We're sorry. We cannot process your request.

You cannot request a replacement card online.

Please contact your local office if you need a replacement card."

I don't know what "correct" means, but it isn't the same for everyone.
Clearly not the same for everyone. I don't understand how the SSA site can say you can do this online and then for some people it says you cannot.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

rec630 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:35 pm I was not able to request a replacement SSN card online and had to go into an office. I also got the "You cannot request a replacement card online" msg although my state showed as one that allowed it.

At that time I was told because I, or rather my parents, had gotten my card 50 some odd years ago and the system has changed a couple of tines, default values that were no longer valid had been used in some fields preventing them to be used/accessed with the current process and the service rep had to correct them in order for me to do things online.
My card is of similar vintage, early 1960s. On the back it says "Form OA-702. Rev. (9-61)". My signature looks like a 2nd- or 3rd-grader's, rather different from my current one.

Nevertheless, I was able to submit an application online for a new card today. I'm supposed to get an e-mail within five business days, telling me whether the application was approved.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:22 pm
JoMoney wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:59 pm In California, if you don't have SS card or or payroll documentation, you can in lieu of that show 2 different printed documents among:
Home deed/title
School Documents
Medical Documents
Insurance Documents
Tax Documents
Court documents

I don't believe that is correct. Those documents on your list establish the applicant as a California resident and two of them must be produced to satisfy that requirement. To satisfy the Social Security card requirement, an applicant in California must present an original of one of these documents showing their name and full SSN: SS card, W-2 form, Social Security Administration (SSA) 1099 form, Non-SSA-1099 form, Pay stub with full SSN, or letter from SSA indicated they are not eligible for a SSN.

I agree w/ you. Documents need to be produced in 3? categories one of which shows the SSN. The questionnaire leads you thru the process and eventually you get to this page:

REAL ID Checklist
Step 3 of 4
75%
Proof of Social Security Number * Required
You must also present ONE original (not a copy) document that shows your name and full Social Security Number (SSN) (if eligible). Make sure your document is up to date and accurate to avoid delay. If you need to correct or update information with the Social Security Administration (SSA), do so several days before you apply for a REAL ID.

If you are ineligible for an SSN, you may still apply for a REAL ID Compliant DL/ID.

Social security card
W-2 form
Social Security Administration (SSA) 1099 form
Non-SSA-1099 form
Pay stub with full SSN
I am ineligible for a social security number
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm ... In my case, I had a Social Security card, but it was one that was issued during the timeframe when they were printing "not for use as identification" on the card, so I couldn't use that. ...
Interesting. My SS card also says it is not for identification, but the DMV accepted it for issuing a real ID.

However, they would not accept my birth certificate, I think because it was issued by a municipality, not the state. They did accept my passport instead even though the municipality issued birth certificate was used and accepted when originally applying for the passport. :confused
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm I'd guess that many Bogelheads will likely find it easier to grab a 1099 from TY2019 than to dig our their SS cards.
Sure, the e-delivered 1099s are right here on my computer. Will they accept a home-printed document, though? :twisted:
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

palanzo wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:54 pm

Clearly not the same for everyone. I don't understand how the SSA site can say you can do this online and then for some people it says you cannot.
Yeah, it's weird. My wife wasn't able to request a replacement card a few months ago, so we trekked down to the SSA office (pre-pandemic) and did it in person.

Just today I received an email from the SSA with the subject "Need a replacement Social Security card?" that informed me that online replacement card services are available in my state. It had a map showing which states do not qualify:

Nevada
Minnesota
Oklahoma
West Virginia
New Hampshire

Doesn't explain why my wife wasn't able to ask online (we're not in an excluded state) and why there are excluded states in the first place. This page lists the same states, but also without an actual explanation:
If your driver’s license or state-issued identification card was issued by one of the states listed below, this service is not yet available. If your state appears on this list, please check back. We are working to make this service available to additional states.

Minnesota
Nevada
New Hampshire
Oklahoma
West Virginia
https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

On the plus side... once the DMV scans all the documents you provided and it's all stored in their database. I can totally see other applications for having a REAL ID. It indicates you are an American Citizen - and your birth certificate, SS card/number, and some other facts are a few keystrokes away during an inquiry. Thank you Patriot Act! We're so much safer now.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:24 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm I'd guess that many Bogelheads will likely find it easier to grab a 1099 from TY2019 than to dig our their SS cards.
Sure, the e-delivered 1099s are right here on my computer. Will they accept a home-printed document, though? :twisted:
They did in our case
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Lots of incorrect information on this thread.
You do not / will not need "Real" ID to enter Smithsonian museums. They don't check IDs anyway to enter. Same for Congressional office buildings, if they were not closed anyway to the public. Same for national patks, etc.

You can board an air carrier flight with no ID at all, it just requires additional security screening.

Tax returns are useless for proving anything related to obtaining real id, as those are created by you. You need items from approved sources, e.g. SSA. You can generally print documents like utility bills and W2s today are created by their source online.

If you need a Real ID, a federal ID or passport card work fine.

A Passport does prove citizenship of a nation, but does not prove the SSN. SSN is generally required, regardless of citizenship.
Last edited by criticalmass on Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.