Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ScubaHogg

Re: Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?

Post by ScubaHogg »

egrets wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:42 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:00 am
egrets wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:40 am I get email from amazon when they have made the delivery including a photo of where the package was left and a request for rating the delivery person.
But "Amazon" almost certainly isn't delivering one of the packages. It's one of the delivery companies (USPS, FedEx, UPS). Amazon might have a system through which one of the delivery companies sends you a photo through the Amazon system, but unless it's a same day delivery courier type service, it's likely a delivery company actually dropping it off at your house.
And you know this how?
As I said above I didn’t realize Amazon as a company was delivering its own packages. We don’t have that service. So I was confused by what you were saying.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

The one advantage I see with Walmart and the reason I still use Walmart is that their prices are better than other local retailers (duh), but more than that their prices are consistent and available.
Amazon is hit or miss on the subscription service with price fluctuations and availability.
Having said that the products i get on Amazon are more unusual and not necessarily available through Walmart.
And I forsee many issues with a same-day delivery from Walmart.
So, i'll let others test this all out first.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I see nothing compelling about this, but I don’t get groceries from Walmart. I think it might be useful for grocery delivery. For anything else, it doesn’t seem like much of a deal.

I get a better deal on gas with my Costco Visa, and pretty much every gas station chain offers their own loyalty card for free that has the same 5 cent deal.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

If you need it fast from Walmart looks like you can click on the new "Free NextDay Delivery" slider. When you click on it, it provides details. $35 Order, NO MEMBERSHIP FEE. For many items - they seem to provide free delivery anyway. I am not sure why I would pay them for faster delivery on everything (does that even include everything? What about all the 3rd parties they front?).

Comparing Walmart to Amazon:
- Amazon provides great service. A 3rd party missed its delivery by more than a few days on me recently - I not only got my money back when I asked for it but didn't even need to return the item. Does Walmart do this? I don't think so. There was no hassle - only had to click a button next to my Order Details for this to happen. Returns are also painless/easy. Money is refunded the minute the item is shipped back (don't have to wait for it to be received and inspected).
- Amazon has far more choices than Walmart - just look up some products and compare. At least this is always my experience.
- I don't see much of a pricing difference between the 2.
- Amazon has it's own delivery service which has been phenomenal - when we order and it's at a local distribution center - we oftentimes get the item the very next day. If Amazon delivery isn't used they use often use UPS. Walmart uses FEDEX (or did last time I used them) which has been horrible in my experience (have received damaged items from them - even with them marking they damaged them; has lost items). I prefer UPS or Amazon delivery over FEDEX any day. With Amazon delivery - they even provide a picture of where they left the item - always leave it security on our front porch. You can get real-time alerts on delivery, etc. Fedex recently left a package (unfortunately Chewy uses them) out on my front walkway. I guess the item was too heavy for the delivery guy to carry or something.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

At launch, Walmart+ will include 160,000 products vs. millions at Amazon. The price difference just doesn't seem compelling.

My sense is that Walmart will be adding features with time to sweeten the deal, but it sure feels premature at this point.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

ballons wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:04 pm
rgs92 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm I am curious about anyone's experience with online ordering from Walmart (say, vs. Amazon).
What shipping services are used at Walmart?
Fedex ground for 100% of deliveries in my area. Never late and always on time for the delivery date given.

vs Amazon
  • Walmart does not co-mingle inventory with fakes and counterfeits.
  • 90 day return policy.
  • Food items are not near expiration date
  • Way more variety
  • No hoops or games with stock. i.e. you don't have to subscribe&wait and the item is in stock or it isn't. None of that "in stock in 3-4 months order now" nonsense.
  • Prices are drastically lower.
Target is just as good as Walmart if you hate walmart.
But doesn't Walmart also sell third party items like Amazon? Wouldn't some of those could be fakes?
I like to know. Thanks.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Chuck107 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm I had a delivery of some stuff from Walmart last week over $35 so shipping was free. Couple cans of coffee, and about 8 glass bottles of various foods, that the local stores seem not to have had in stock for months.
It all came in a large box. Much larger than necessary.
NO packing materials at all.
Glass bottles rolling around hitting each other freely.
Surprisingly no chips or cracks and seals were intact.
I don't know if I will chance that again.
I would not recommend ordering food items from Walmart. Our experience has been abysmal when ordering online from Walmart. We finally gave up ordering from them. We order regularly from several other companies and have never had a problem with broken or damaged items. In each of our orders from Walmart the items were haphazardly thrown in the box with completely inadequate or zero packing materials. Each of 3 orders had broken or damaged items in the box. We learned the hard way to never order bags of flour from Walmart :annoyed
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks for all the feedback; 'very helpful.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

I vote: "a sneaky backdoor way to eliminate free shipping."
ballons

Post by ballons »

ScubaHogg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:06 am
ballons wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:21 pm

AFAIK, there has been no mention of shipping being faster. I would prefer this over local delivery. I would be guilt tripped into tipping each delivery. I have also not used local delivery because I would want a Walmart truck delivering the items, not a random store employee.
It’s outlined here

https://www.cnet.com/news/walmart-plus- ... rship-fee/
On Monday, Walmart said it's building out its e-commerce membership program, which competes with Amazon Prime, to include more items and more perks, like shipping as fast as same day for orders of at least $35 and a cashierless checkout feature in the Walmart app
That is cnet reporting that, not walmart. Anything official?

FYI: next day delivery already exists and is free; however it is restricted to areas with DC close by:
https://www.walmart.com/cp/nextday-delivery/4563372
Kompass

Post by Kompass »

I have subscription fatigue, Walmart showed up after the lock.
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Will do good wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:02 am
rgs92 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm I am curious about anyone's experience with online ordering from Walmart (say, vs. Amazon).
Fedex ground for 100% of deliveries in my area. Never late and always on time for the delivery date given.

vs Amazon
  • 90 day return policy.
  • Way more variety
  • No hoops or games with stock. i.e. you don't have to subscribe&wait and the item is in stock or it isn't. None of that "in stock in 3-4 months order now" nonsense.
But doesn't Walmart also sell third party items like Amazon? Wouldn't some of those could be fakes?
I like to know. Thanks.
Yes, but it is nothing like amazon mixing inventory.
  1. Shipped and sold by Walmart

Bulk of everything they sell
  2. Shipped and Sold by X

Not in their warehouse. They have little control over this. This is a third party handling everything.
  3. Sold by X, fulfilled by Walmart

In their warehouse. This just stated 2020. No inventory is co-mingled.
Walmart - #1 and #3 never mix
Amazon - #1 and #3 mixes by default
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

ballons wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:25 pm
Will do good wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:02 am

vs Amazon
  • 90 day return policy.
  • Way more variety
I like to know. Thanks.
Yes, but it is nothing like amazon mixing inventory.
  1. Shipped and sold by Walmart

Bulk of everything they sell
  2. Shipped and Sold by X

Not in their warehouse. They have little control over this. This is a third party handling everything.
  3. Sold by X, fulfilled by Walmart

In their warehouse. This just stated 2020. No inventory is co-mingled.
Walmart - #1 and #3 never mix
Amazon - #1 and #3 mixes by default
Thanks, I'll give them a shot.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Have used it, and it is great. Shipping is great (used to be $25 for freeship??) and if you need to return the item you can do it AT Walmart- a huge plus for me.
Printing labels, taping on a torn package, running to UPS....to me was a hassle w/ an Amazon return (though I shop there as well)

I would not pay $98 for a Walmart shipping service personally.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

F150HD wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:27 pm Have used it, and it is great. Shipping is great (used to be $25 for freeship??) and if you need to return the item you can do it AT Walmart- a huge plus for me.
Printing labels, taping on a torn package, running to UPS....to me was a hassle w/ an Amazon return (though I shop there as well)

You are confusing the Walmart and Walmart grocery services. The service being discussed in this thread is the later. There are no boxes of any kind involved with that service. This is for fresh groceries, so you certainly wouldn't want things like ice cream, milk, or other perishables to be put in a box and take a day or more to get to your place. The delivery is never free regardless of $35+ - either you pay a delivery fee per-order, or you pay an annual subscription.

Pre-COVID, the main attraction of the service was to save time. Checkout lines at Wal-mart in my area are always very long. 30 minutes is common. And for returns, I have had to wait as long as 1h30 in line. And there are only limited business hours during which the return department is open.

Shopping at in-store at Wal-mart is the most horrible shopping experience. And using their delivery service makes it about 100% worse.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

madbrain wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm
F150HD wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:27 pm Have used it, and it is great. Shipping is great (used to be $25 for freeship??) and if you need to return the item you can do it AT Walmart- a huge plus for me.

You are confusing the Walmart and Walmart grocery services. The service being discussed in this thread is the later. There are no boxes of any kind involved with that service. This is for fresh groceries, so you certainly wouldn't want things like ice cream, milk, or other perishables to be put in a box and take a day or more to get to your place. The delivery is never free regardless of $35+ - either you pay a delivery fee per-order, or you pay an annual subscription.

Pre-COVID, the main attraction of the service was to save time. Checkout lines at Wal-mart in my area are always very long. 30 minutes is common. And for returns, I have had to wait as long as 1h30 in line. And there are only limited business hours during which the return department is open.

Shopping at in-store at Wal-mart is the most horrible shopping experience. And using their delivery service makes it about 100% worse.
no, not confused about anything.

Title of this thread "Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?"

which my reply was based upon, has no reference to groceries

The original post doesn't mention "grocery" in any form either.
So Walmart has a new premium service for $98/year for free delivery for orders over $35 (called Walmart+ or Walmart Plus maybe).
if OP was interested in opinions on grocery delivery their post should have been clearer, though I see its been edited 3x already.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

F150HD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:40 pm no, not confused about anything.

Title of this thread "Walmart+ service ($98/year = free delivery w/ $35+ order). Thoughts?"

which my reply was based upon, has no reference to groceries

The original post doesn't mention "grocery" in any form either.
The OP might be confused as well about what Walmart+ is.

See https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/ ... es-walmart .
The very first listed benefit is for unlimited free delivery for groceries.

This appears to be a rebranding of the existing "Delivery unlimited" service, which was a grocery delivery service .
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I trust Walmart a lot more than Amazon. I like Walmart as a store and as a business. Stuff at Walmart is probably cheaper than Amazon the vast majority of the times. People easily get ripped off at Amazon.

That being said, I won't be using even if I was back in the US. Call me old fashioned, but I like going inside a store and buying stuff there and going to the checkout. You don't think when you shop online and tend to buy and don't do as many cross comparisons also.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

cheesepep wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:19 am I trust Walmart a lot more than Amazon. I like Walmart as a store and as a business. Stuff at Walmart is probably cheaper than Amazon the vast majority of the times. People easily get ripped off at Amazon.
Wal-mart can't even keep its inventory properly up-to-date. It pays its employees so little that most are on government assistance. And the inventory problem is in large part due to "shrinkage", ie. theft employees who don't make a living from their job.

Amazon at least gets logistics right. They are not even on the same planet when it comes to customer service.
Of course the prices on Amazon are higher - they include the cost of delivery.
That being said, I won't be using even if I was back in the US. Call me old fashioned, but I like going inside a store and buying stuff there and going to the checkout. You don't think when you shop online and tend to buy and don't do as many cross comparisons also.
Speak for yourself. I do far more comparisons when I shop online than in a store. With the internet and triple monitors on my desktop, I certainly have the space to do so. In a store, with a tiny 6" smartphone and a useless touch screen, not so much. Comparisons are not just between items in front of you but with the same items at other stores, and also different items that may be better quality.

In any case, I am still not leaving the house due to COVID, so retail shopping store is completely academical for me at this point, [political comment removed by admin LadyGeek].
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

madbrain wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:14 am
cheesepep wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:19 am I trust Walmart a lot more than Amazon. I like Walmart as a store and as a business. Stuff at Walmart is probably cheaper than Amazon the vast majority of the times. People easily get ripped off at Amazon.
Wal-mart can't even keep its inventory properly up-to-date. It pays its employees so little that most are on government assistance. And the inventory problem is in large part due to "shrinkage", ie. theft employees who don't make a living from their job.
“Most” are on government assistance? Do you have a source? WM has approximately 1.5 million US employees, so you are saying over 750,000 are on government assistance? And presumably you mean things like, “low income assistance” (food stamps, Medicaid) and not “receive some kind of government benefit” (ie, kid goes to public school).
Last edited by ScubaHogg on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

madbrain wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm Pre-COVID, the main attraction of the service was to save time. Checkout lines at Wal-mart in my area are always very long. 30 minutes is common. And for returns, I have had to wait as long as 1h30 in line. And there are only limited business hours during which the return department is open.
Have you used the grocery pick up service? I find it works quite well. Never leave your car.
Happydayz

Post by Happydayz »

I am surprised people are so trusting of Amazon. They have significant quality control issues with a flood of fake and counterfeit products on their website. Look up the WSJs big expose on this. For example, there are no viable safeguards to prevent spoiled food from being sold on Amazon and the WSJ successfully listed and then bought products they knew expired

I really recommend people not use Amazon for anything they consume or apply topically. For electronics and knickknacks, most of the time you are just getting rebranded items resold from Alibaba.

I used to equate Walmart with low quality. But they are my go to now for consumables like diapers, baby wipes, or anything else where I don't want to risk possible health or safety issues with fraudulent products
Taz

Post by Taz »

It has been very beneficial for my sister who is the defacto mother of an at-risk disabled child. Her health is not the best either. Perfect for groceries and all the other stuff there.

Well worth the annual fee, even if doubled next year.
The destination matters.
SR II

Post by SR II »

rgs92 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm So Walmart has a new premium service for $98/year for free delivery for orders over $35 (called Walmart+ or Walmart Plus maybe).
I am curious about anyone's experience with online ordering from Walmart (say, vs. Amazon).
Thank you.
Are you talking about merchandise delivery or groceries. Looks like some confusion here with answers.
SR II

Post by SR II »

SR II wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:53 am
rgs92 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:45 pm So Walmart has a new premium service for $98/year for free delivery for orders over $35 (called Walmart+ or Walmart Plus maybe).
I am curious about anyone's experience with online ordering from Walmart (say, vs. Amazon).
Thank you.
Are you talking about merchandise delivery or groceries. Looks like some confusion here with answers. These are two different services.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We haven't tried grocery delivery from Walmart. Is it really Walmart doing it, or is it just private-badged Instacart?

I have used walmart.com, just the regular "internet order" service, and it is in the strange grey area of "can't honestly complain but it is SO not Amazon." The email shipping notifications are unreliable. They seem unable to pack more than one order into a single shipment. You don't realize how relatively good Amazon has gotten about overpackaging until you try Walmart, Walmart has send me 2-foot boxes containing 7.5 cubic feet of packing material and one tiny thing in the middle--in danger of being discarded along with the packing. Oh, and ETA estimates have been wildly unreliable both ways--we once had six orders, all promised for delivery before Christmas, and five were delivered before Christmas--but in a completely different order from the promised delivery dates, some earlier than estimated, some later.

Last year, we took a camping vacation in Tucson and air shipment has now gotten so expensive that we decided just to buy all our bulky/heavy items new. So we placed a pickup order for about twenty camping-related items at a Tucson Walmart. When we came in, there was a screen "kiosk" check-in at the pickup area. We checked in. It was twenty minutes before anyone showed up to help us. They opened a locker, gave "our things," and were ready to leave. I said "wait, we ordered twenty things, you gave us six." They looked at their handheld screen, looked puzzled, made a phone call, waited, opened a different locker, and gave us another box, and were ready to leave. I said "please wait while we check. Hey, I'm not seeing our tent in there. Actually we have fifteen items now, we are still missing five." More phone calls. Waiting while they go back to the back of the store. They come back, and we finally had the whole order.

Any real complaint? No. But did they delight the customer? No.

What I mean to say is, based on our experience I would say Walmart has no idea how to manage all of the IT and electronic coordination things that Amazon does so beautifully.

Maybe they've only just gotten it done and Walmart+ is the result. I dunno.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't get groceries from Walmart (cheaper local options) and having a $35 minimum is a limitation. Their website and customer service is not nearly as good as Amazon's (though I feel they're slipping). The free shipping I believe applies to online items only and not items in the store. Don't you get free delivery from Amazon without Prime if you spend >$35?

I've ordered several things from Walmart.com. If it was 2012, I wouldn't have a problem with their service. It's worse than most places I order from online today.

One item (a grill) I ordered online for pickup took 10 days and then they called me and said the box arrived damaged and asked if I wanted to come to the store to look at it :oops:. I cancelled the order.
Taz

Post by Taz »

She gets her groceries. I don't know if product selection is reduced, but she keeps a running list on a Walmart app.
The destination matters.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

I don’t ever shop at Walmart, and haven’t tried their shipping service. Why not just go to the store?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm I don’t ever shop at Walmart, and haven’t tried their shipping service. Why not just go to the store?
They have hundreds of thousands more items than they have at the store online. Not to mention convenience, being home bound, if you don't drive, Covid, etc.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm
Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm I don’t ever shop at Walmart, and haven’t tried their shipping service. Why not just go to the store?
They have hundreds of thousands more items than they have at the store online. Not to mention convenience, being home bound, if you don't drive, Covid, etc.
So, Amazon prime, but Walmart version?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Erwin007 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:20 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm
So, Amazon prime, but Walmart version?
Yes, similar. As I stated above, not for me but I can see a market for it.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

madbrain wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm

HATE going inside a walmart. LOVE their grocery pickup service - was skeptical but they won me over.....only way I buy groceries since March and the start of covid. Stores are excellent at choosing fresh produce, make terrific substitutions - often bigger packages, brand names (vs house brand they were out of stock on) and have friendly efficient employees. Have spent thousands of dollars on groceries and household goods since March and maybe had 1-2 off experiences tops - both were bins of salad greens a bit past their prime. And the latter was promptly refunded back to my credit card online - didn't even have to go through a chat or phone rep. And what I like best - no markup on store prices, no "service" fees or other add ons like Instacart - which I will never use.

But their pickup service is free - I wouldn't pay a subscription cost for that. Did do their 2 week free trial on delivery and liked it, but again, don't want another fixed cost. If they start charging for grocery pickup, I'll go back to going inside my local supermarket.
Last edited by BogleFanGal on Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:10 pm We haven't tried grocery delivery from Walmart. Is it really Walmart doing it, or is it just private-badged Instacart?

I have used walmart.com, just the regular "internet order" service, and it is in the strange grey area of "can't honestly complain but it is SO not Amazon." The email shipping notifications are unreliable. They seem unable to pack more than one order into a single shipment. You don't realize how relatively good Amazon has gotten about overpackaging until you try Walmart, Walmart has send me 2-foot boxes containing 7.5 cubic feet of packing material and one tiny thing in the middle--in danger of being discarded along with the packing. Oh, and ETA estimates have been wildly unreliable both ways--we once had six orders, all promised for delivery before Christmas, and five were delivered before Christmas--but in a completely different order from the promised delivery dates, some earlier than estimated, some later.

Last year, we took a camping vacation in Tucson and air shipment has now gotten so expensive that we decided just to buy all our bulky/heavy items new. So we placed a pickup order for about twenty camping-related items at a Tucson Walmart. When we came in, there was a screen "kiosk" check-in at the pickup area. We checked in. It was twenty minutes before anyone showed up to help us. They opened a locker, gave "our things," and were ready to leave. I said "wait, we ordered twenty things, you gave us six." They looked at their handheld screen, looked puzzled, made a phone call, waited, opened a different locker, and gave us another box, and were ready to leave. I said "please wait while we check. Hey, I'm not seeing our tent in there. Actually we have fifteen items now, we are still missing five." More phone calls. Waiting while they go back to the back of the store. They come back, and we finally had the whole order.

Any real complaint? No. But did they delight the customer? No.

What I mean to say is, based on our experience I would say Walmart has no idea how to manage all of the IT and electronic coordination things that Amazon does so beautifully.

Maybe they've only just gotten it done and Walmart+ is the result. I dunno.
Their own employees pick and pack the merchandise. Some regions use third party delivery drivers. Other regions use store employees.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
squirm

Post by squirm »

The problem is the returns. On Amazon, all I have to do is just drop it off at UPS without even the box, or a locker with the box. There's no waiting and most of the time it's a free and easy return and I'd rather deal with ups employee then a WallyWorld employee.

I try not to give WallyWorld too much of my business. Around here all the lowlifes shop at WallyWorld as they're doped up, then steal half their stuff at the five finger discount AKA self checkout, and of course half of them aren't even wearing a mask as they're stealing. And the others are so dumb they can't figure out how to wear one properly.

I'm friends with the Walmart greeter and says the theft is unbelievable and he says theres not a dang thing he can do about it but pretend he doesn't notice.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:10 pm What I mean to say is, based on our experience I would say Walmart has no idea how to manage all of the IT and electronic coordination things that Amazon does so beautifully.
+1

I used the "pick up in store" option once with Wal-Mart. Had a very similar experience to yours. The pick up department is all the way in the back of the store, not the front, which makes no sense. I had to wait 20 minutes for any human being to help us at that department. There was no one else there - no customer or staff. And this was on top of notifying Wal-mart through the app that we would be picking up 20 minutes earlier. My hope was to bypass the extremely long checkout lines.

That same day, I had used the pick up service from Target. It was much better. Located in the front of the store, and was in and out in 5 minutes. I don't think Target allows pickup of fresh grocery items, though.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:15 pm Have spent thousands of dollars on groceries and household goods since March and maybe had 1-2 off experiences tops - both were bins of salad greens a bit past their prime. And the latter was promptly refunded back to my credit card online - didn't even have to go through a chat or phone rep
Curious - mow did you request the refund in this case if not through the chat or phone rep ?
And what I like best - no markup on store prices, no "service" fees or other add ons like Instacart - which I will never use.
Instacart has no markup on Wal-mart store orders now. Only the delivery fee, which you can pay a subscription fee for, and the tip to the driver.
But their pickup service is free - I wouldn't pay a subscription cost for that. Did do their 2 week free trial on delivery and liked it, but again, don't want another fixed cost. If they start charging for grocery pickup, I'll go back to going inside my local supermarket.
I did their 2 week free trial early during the COVID outbreak. They didn't have a single delivery window for those entire 2 weeks. They were swamped. They refused to extend the free trial even after some delivery windows opened about 6 weeks into the outbreak. I'm afraid this is the typical customer service experience you can expect from Wal-mart.

When the same thing happened with Amazon fresh that month, I got them to refund one month of Prime service since they couldn't actually provide the service I was paying for.

I have not tried the car pickup service from Wal-mart. But I can say that I'm not eager to try it. When one of my Wal-mart grocery delivery orders went wrong, it was because the Doordash driver couldn't get the order from the store. I don't know how long he waited, but he eventually gave up and just left. And my order never got delivered at all. Then I had to chase Wal-mart for a week for a refund after they marked the order "delivered".
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

squirm wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:14 pm The problem is the returns. On Amazon, all I have to do is just drop it off at UPS without even the box, or a locker with the box. There's no waiting and most of the time it's a free and easy return and I'd rather deal with ups employee then a WallyWorld employee.
On one of my Walmart.com delivery orders (boxed, not fresh groceries), one of the items was wrong. I had ordered a box of dry couscous, but got brown rice instead. My order was something like $36, just above the $35 threshold to get free shipping.
I complained, and asked if they could ship me the correct item. They said the only thing they could do was give me a credit for that item.
I got to keep it. I still have it, as I don't like brown rice. I asked if they could ship me the correct item. But no, that was not possible. I would have to place another $35+ order, and hope that this time they got it right. Again, typical Wal-mart customer service experience.

This would simply never happen at Amazon. They would ship the correct item as soon as notified, and provide a prepaid label to return the wrong item.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm They have hundreds of thousands more items than they have at the store online. Not to mention convenience, being home bound, if you don't drive, Covid, etc.
I experience this as a bug, not a feature.

What makes it a bug for me is that if the item is physically stocked in a store, they will not ship it to you--at least, not with the existing walmart.com; at least, not the last time I actually wanted a shipment from Walmart. For the online items, you can do a ship-to-store, but for the stocked-in-store items you cannot do a ship-to-home.

Another issue is that the walmart.com online-only items are NOT "always low prices," they are just average and often can be found cheaper at... e.g.... Amazon.

This is another example of Walmart not "getting it." Compare Walmart with L. L. Bean where the online and in-store operations are perfectly meshed and you can do any combination of things you'd expect to do... order online and if it doesn't fit, return it and have them ship you a different size; order online and return for refund at a store; order online and return it and try a different size at the store; try it at the store and if the one that fits in the store isn't the color you want, have it shipped to you etc. etc. etc.

L. L. Bean feels like one store that has both physical and online presences.

Walmart feels like a cobbled-together monstrosity that gapes at the seams.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

galawdawg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 am So what am I missing here?

Walmart = pay $98 annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+
Amazon = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $25+
That was Clark Howard's conclusion on his show yesterday as well. The only edge Walmart has is same day or next day shipping.

I really doubt that Walmart will get many subscribers for this.
nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:17 pm Walmart feels like a cobbled-together monstrosity that gapes at the seams.
I'm very much inclined to agree. We've done de minimis business with Walmart for the last 10+ years, and I've often regretted the handful of times that we have.

That said, I remember back in 2003 when Walmart was at the top of the Fortune 500 list and we were discussing what it would take to 'dethrone' them in a business capstone course. I find it amazing that they are still #1 on that list, though Amazon is now #2.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

madbrain wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:42 pm
BogleFanGal wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:15 pm Have spent thousands of dollars on groceries and household goods since March and maybe had 1-2 off experiences tops - both were bins of salad greens a bit past their prime. And the latter was promptly refunded back to my credit card online - didn't even have to go through a chat or phone rep
Curious - mow did you request the refund in this case if not through the chat or phone rep ? I just selected "request refund" next to the item on the page showing my recent order - it took me to a screen that asked for the reason and automatically processed refund. I don't think that applies to all items though...probably just lower priced produce or other perishables that they can't resell anyway. And I'm sure they flag anyone abusing the policy. I've spent a lot buying all our weekly groceries since March and only returned 1 $4 salad bin.
And what I like best - no markup on store prices, no "service" fees or other add ons like Instacart - which I will never use.
Instacart has no markup on Wal-mart store orders now. Only the delivery fee, which you can pay a subscription fee for, and the tip to the driver.
I did their 2 week free trial early during the COVID outbreak. They didn't have a single delivery window for those entire 2 weeks. They were swamped. They refused to extend the free trial even after some delivery windows opened about 6 weeks into the outbreak. I'm afraid this is the typical customer service experience you can expect from Wal-mart.

When the same thing happened with Amazon fresh that month, I got them to refund one month of Prime service since they couldn't actually provide the service I was paying for.

I have not tried the car pickup service from Wal-mart. But I can say that I'm not eager to try it. When one of my Wal-mart grocery delivery orders went wrong, it was because the Doordash driver couldn't get the order from the store. I don't know how long he waited, but he eventually gave up and just left. And my order never got delivered at all. Then I had to chase Wal-mart for a week for a refund after they marked the order "delivered".
Sorry to hear about the hassles with your delivery - and the week's delay in refund - that would turn me off big time as well. Like so many other things, experiences probably vary tremendously by region/store and the quality of the management within each store. The ironic thing is I have TWO walmarts within a mile of me - both are high volume locations in dense neighborhoods - and neither offer delivery or curbside pickup - nor plan to. Plus their stores get bad reviews for ignoring many covid safety procedures. The walmart stores I use for curbside pickup are a bit further out, but offer pickup and delivery and are excellent.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:41 pm

That was Clark Howard's conclusion on his show yesterday as well. The only edge Walmart has is same day or next day shipping.

agreed - really doesn't seem to offer much value at all....
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:46 pm agreed - really doesn't seem to offer much value at all....
If they got their act together with customer service the way Amazon has, I think it would be a good value. But they have a very long way to go.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

BogleFanGal wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:45 pm Sorry to hear about the hassles with your delivery - and the week's delay in refund - that would turn me off big time as well. Like so many other things, experiences probably vary tremendously by region/store and the quality of the management within each store. The ironic thing is I have TWO walmarts within a mile of me - both are high volume locations in dense neighborhoods - and neither offer delivery or curbside pickup - nor plan to. Plus their stores get bad reviews for ignoring many covid safety procedures. The walmart stores I use for curbside pickup are a bit further out, but offer pickup and delivery and are excellent.
I live in a semi rural area - not dense at all. The nearest business of any kind is 2 miles away. Nearest Wal-mart is 5 miles away. Next nearest about 12 miles. The nearest one was a real zoo even pre-COVID. Nowadays, it would be completely unthinkable to shop there in person unless one is already immune to COVID.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Walmart = pay $98 annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+ including grocery nationwide, get Scan&Go nationwide, fuel discounts nationwide at walmart/samsclub.
or
Walmart = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+ delivered in 2-days

vs

Amazon = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $25+ delivered 3-15 days later

-----------------

Amazon is terrible when you are factual.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

We used Walmart delivery service (which was free I think) during the months of Mar - Jul of this year. It was during the period when the COVID-19 was in full bloom. It was valuable in the sense that someone else took the risk of potentially getting infected (which bothered me quite a bit but wife wouldn't listen). However, I don't see any value in continuing the service.

Both Amazon and Walmart have their own reason (broadly speaking value and convenience respectively) for existence and I make every effort to only use them for those specific reasons.

Just my $0.02
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
squirm

Post by squirm »

ballons wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:34 pm

Walmart = pay $98 annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+ including grocery nationwide, get Scan&Go nationwide, fuel discounts nationwide at walmart/samsclub.
or
Walmart = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $35+ delivered in 2-days

vs

Amazon = pay nothing annually and get free shipping on orders of $25+ delivered 3-15 days later

-----------------

Amazon is terrible when you are factual.
All of my Prime orders now take about a week. I only keep our because the wife likes prime music, otherwise I'd cancel it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:17 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm They have hundreds of thousands more items than they have at the store online. Not to mention convenience, being home bound, if you don't drive, Covid, etc.
I experience this as a bug, not a feature.

What makes it a bug for me is that if the item is physically stocked in a store, they will not ship it to you--at least, not with the existing walmart.com; at least, not the last time I actually wanted a shipment from Walmart. For the online items, you can do a ship-to-store, but for the stocked-in-store items you cannot do a ship-to-home.

Another issue is that the walmart.com online-only items are NOT "always low prices," they are just average and often can be found cheaper at... e.g.... Amazon.

This is another example of Walmart not "getting it." Compare Walmart with L. L. Bean where the online and in-store operations are perfectly meshed and you can do any combination of things you'd expect to do... order online and if it doesn't fit, return it and have them ship you a different size; order online and return for refund at a store; order online and return it and try a different size at the store; try it at the store and if the one that fits in the store isn't the color you want, have it shipped to you etc. etc. etc.

L. L. Bean feels like one store that has both physical and online presences.

Walmart feels like a cobbled-together monstrosity that gapes at the seams.
I agree Walmart doesn't quite get it yet. They spent billions on Jet.com and I've seen little improvement. Walmart has the resources to get this right, but think they cheap out. They won't pay people $150-$300k a year to work on their website like Amazon. Frankly, Walmart has always been very cost conscious sometimes to their detriment. Their employees, are, well, not the greatest.

Amazon is slipping in my opinion. Deliveries late, worst service, less accountability. I am talking pre and post Covid. I don't excuse them for Covid as if I order something Monday and it says I will get it in 2 days they should know it at that point if they cannot get it there. They used to give you a credit of a month free Prime if you got packages late, especially repeatedly. Now they just say oh well, sorry. They won't even refund unused months.

In some regards, Amazon is like Walmart used to be (probably still is) regarded. Everyone thought they were taking over the world, underpaying people, putting everyone else out of business, abusing employees, etc. I order from Amazon a lot, but only because lack of better alternatives.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

squirm wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 pm All of my Prime orders now take about a week. I only keep our because the wife likes prime music, otherwise I'd cancel it.
Very strange. Nearly all of my Prime orders arrive within 48 hours. Some in 24 hours. I guess it's highly location dependent.
The only orders that have been late was when there was no inventory, and the items couldn't be shipped. Those have taken weeks to fulfill. But they are the exception, and I knew upfront when I placed the order that the items weren't in stock.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 pm I agree Walmart doesn't quite get it yet. They spent billions on Jet.com and I've seen little improvement. Walmart has the resources to get this right, but think they cheap out. They won't pay people $150-$300k a year to work on their website like Amazon. Frankly, Walmart has always been very cost conscious sometimes to their detriment. Their employees, are, well, not the greatest.
Yes, tech and customer service are just not in Wal-Mart's DNA. And you just can't build a great web site and delivery service when the problems are so basic with inventory and employees in the stores. Amazon started online, and has a big advantage there. They are now getting into retail with their purchase of Whole Foods, and some upcoming cashier-less stores. I don't think they are a big player when it comes to shopping in person, though.
They used to give you a credit of a month free Prime if you got packages late, especially repeatedly. Now they just say oh well, sorry. They won't even refund unused months.
It was indeed hard to get refund for a full month when there was no deliveries for either Whole Foods or Amazon Fresh back in March & April.
However, for late deliveries, I have had them give me credit without any difficulties. I guess it helps that it only happens to me once or twice a year. If I was requesting credits on every package, they probably wouldn't do it. I wonder what's going in in your area. Are the delayed packages coming from carriers like USPS or UPS, or is it Amazon drivers being late ?
Everyone thought they were taking over the world, underpaying people, putting everyone else out of business, abusing employees, etc. I order from Amazon a lot, but only because lack of better alternatives.
Amazon definitely doesn't treat or pay their warehouse people right. I think it's different for their engineers, though I have never personally worked there yet.