Cleveland Area Living

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hackermb

Cleveland Area Living

Post by hackermb »

I saw the other Cleveland post on where to live and wanted to ask the same question but for a different purpose.

I'll be relocating to Cleveland for 1-2 years, but the family will remain in Indianapolis. They will however be coming up 1-2 weekends per month and I'll go back to Indy 1-2 weekends per month. Once out of school they'll come to cleveland for long breaks and the summer.

I'd like to live in a very fun, vacation like area that the wife and kids would enjoy - view it as fun to come up instead of dreading coming up.
- Fun to us is energetic - outside living - preferably lake front - younger families etc...

I'll be splitting my time between Middleburg Heights and Brooklyn Heights for work and the surrounding areas. I'd prefer not to have a crazy commute since it'll just be me the majority of the time in Cleveland.

DW and DH are mid 30's, kids are 3 and 5 - we don't need to worry about schools as they'll be in school in Indianapolis.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.
DodoLurker

Re: Cleveland Area Living

Post by DodoLurker »

There are a few options. What do you mean specifically by younger? Lakewood is about 20 minutes north of Middleburg and has lake access plus several nice public beaches (e.g. Edgewater) but the age range is more "bar age". Rocky River and Bay Village are more family oriented and at least Bay has public beaches (cant remember for sure if River has them). These two are also closer to Crocker Park (shopping) in Westlake. All these cities have connections to the Metroparks system and all have boat docks (The Rocky River Reservation also does kayak rentals). I'd recommend looking into metropark areas in general as there's a lot of nice stuff in there (e.g. the zoo, towpath, golf courses).

A bit further out from middleburg, on the east side there's Chagrin Falls which quite scenic but isn't close to the Lake. The east side also has University Circle, Severance Hall, the Arboretum.

I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting though, and I'm more familiar with the west side than the east.

Edit: Since you're only here 1-2 years I should probably add that Lakewood probably has the most selection as far as renting goes and is more affordable than the others I've mentioned. The city probably has a larger percentage of it's population renting than any of the neighboring suburbs.
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

Will you be renting a home? Independence, OH would be a very nice location but home rentals are probably tough to come by. Look at areas such as Broadview Hts, southern Parma (South of pleasant valley Rd.) and Middleburg Hts. also. These are listed because of their convenience to both Middleburg and Brooklyn Hts.

Cleveland as a vacation destination just doesn't roll off the tongue just right. The Cleveland museum of art every now and then, and the wonderful Cuyahoga valley national park often. Everything is a half an hour away at most from the cities listed above. You can enjoy the flats of Cleveland by watching the LARGE cargo boats navigate the crooked river to deliver iron ore and such. There's a great App for tracking them all around the world and seeing when they'll be arriving near you.

I have worked in Middleburg for 36 years and I share the same zip code with Brooklyn Hts, just a neighboring town.
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett
sport

Post by sport »

The areas where you will be working are on the West Side. Of course, the West Side would also be more convenient for travelling back and forth to Indianapolis. So, I would think you would want a West Side location. I am an "Eastsider" and therefore not too familiar with the neighborhoods on the other side of town. So, I will let those who are more familiar with that area make specific suggestions.
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

Northern Lakewood (closer to Clifton, and lake avenues) would work. That's for an average/slightly above cost of living area. Your budget for rental(if that's what you're doing) would help us give you some direction.

I've lived and went to high school in Lakewood so I am very familiar with the area.
Last edited by imbogled on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett
We're wolves

Post by We're wolves »

Western parts of Lakewood near the lake, as well as Rocky River and Bay Village would all be suitable I would think. None of them particularly scream "vacation living" (unless you actually have lakefront property, which is extremely expensive), but they all would be a reasonable commute to your work locations, and, being on the west side of Cleveland, a noticeably shorter commute to Indianapolis. Easy access to beaches, parks, and the excellent Cleveland metroparks system is a plus as well.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Because you said "vacation like", I will recommend the flats. Maybe a luxury condo on the water. This area has had a complete makeover over the past 10 years. There are bars, restaurants, boating, etc. You're also 5 min from downtown to go catch a Cavs, Browns, or Indians game... Playhouse sqaure is close by too and you would be 10-15 mins from Edgwater (beach/park)
Topic Author
hackermb

Post by hackermb »

Thanks all - sounds like the Flats makes sense.

I would just be renting a Condo - thinking approximately $2,500 / month or so.

By vacation like, understanding that yes this is Cleveland...I guess I really meant an escape from average everyday living for the DW and Kids. I wouldn't want them driving all the way up to just be living at a lower standard of living than they enjoy at home, but more like 1 step-up.

Water views - boat watching kids would really enjoy
Restaurants - DW would enjoy
Beach/Parks w/ play grounds splash pads - we would all enjoy

Wife really enjoys womens workout classes and being able to walk to those then get coffee / brunch etc would be ideal - i assume that available int he Flats?

Are there any high-rise condos that have a 4-star type feel - full service etc... that anyone would recommend?
littleyellowball

Post by littleyellowball »

Check out the Gold Coast high-rises in Lakewood. Sounds like they could fit the bill. You can have a water view, a pool and a fitness center in the building, close to downtown and restaurants, and not a bad commute for you. Also, a nice low maintenance bachelor pad for you when the family isn't there.

(lived in NEO for 40 years, grew up in Indy!)
John Z

Post by John Z »

This is one of the major Lakewood gold coast condos:

http://wintonplacecondo.com/
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

hackermb wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:41 am Are there any high-rise condos that have a 4-star type feel - full service etc... that anyone would recommend?
Check this out https://flatsateastbank.com/
EverHopeful

Post by EverHopeful »

This forum might be helpful, http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleveland/

All the best, the whole area is wonderful.
EverHopeful

Post by EverHopeful »

Just found the wonderful post I saved on a detailed description of "outside energetic" activities

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clevela ... lon-2.html

Have fun!
Topic Author
hackermb

Post by hackermb »

Thank you everyone for the suggestions this helped a lot.