Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Post by catdude »

Howdy Bogleheads -

Microsoft recently released its latest flight simulator program, the first in about 14 years (so I'm told). It sounds pretty amazing. They've basically re-created the entire Earth, so one can virtually "fly" between any two cities in the world. If I have this program and I get the urge to "fly" from my close-by regional airport to, for example, Kalispell, Montana, I can do it. The reviews for this flight sim are absolutely glowing.

I'm wondering if any Bogleheads have bought this program yet, and if so, what are your initial thoughts about it? Is it as good as advertised?

For me personally to use Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) would require a pretty big investment in hardware. I currently use a Mac mini, so I'd have to buy a new PC. Not just any new PC, I'd basically need something on the order of a serious gaming machine. I hesitate to do this cuz I've bought flight sim programs before, but never gotten very far with them. They weren't very user friendly. Am I nuts for considering buying a whole new computer, given my lack of success at using previous flight sim programs?
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
bzcat

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Post by bzcat »

I rented it on Xbox Game Pass for PC. $1 for the first month trial during the beta period (its still available). The system requirements to run the sim are steep, but I enjoyed it and so did 6-7 co-workers.
BoggledUp

Post by BoggledUp »

Maybe it'll come to XCloud and you'll be able to stream it to weaker hardware...
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Why not buy an XBox and play it on that?
grettman

Post by grettman »

I heard the game doesn't even render well-known buildings in Washington D.C. accurately (for instance, the Washington monument shows up as a large apartment building). If this is true, that is truly disappointing.
petulant

Post by petulant »

Try something like Shadow PC or check the list of games on the GeForce Now service. Both allow you to stream games on great hardware in a data center to your home computer. They work great on Macs.
ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel »

I do not own it yet but am planning on buying it, and all the "fun" hardware (yoke, pedals, etc), when the next generation of NVidia's graphic's cards are released sometime this fall. There has been a lot of press and excitement around the simulator and maybe by then it will have died down a bit and I can pick up some of the hardware second hand...

Are you crazy? Maybe a little bit. It's a bit easier for me to justify a graphics card/computer purchase since I can actually use them for work and research in addition to games. I'm planning on telling my wife that the hardware costs are a lot cheaper, and safer, than getting a pilot's license :D
grettman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:39 am I heard the game doesn't even render well-known buildings in Washington D.C. accurately (for instance, the Washington monument shows up as a large apartment building). If this is true, that is truly disappointing.
For whatever reason, Microsoft decided that DC would not be one of the cities generated by photogrammetry. I'm sure this will change over time.
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

I've been playing is since the release date on PC. I was very interested, having not played a flight sim in more than 20 years.

I bought a T.Flight Hotas One stick to go with it.

I've completed all of the training and have done a little free flying.

For me, I don't care about photo-realism, so I've not found a problem with any of the graphics so far. I think there's a setting that essentially downloads Google Earth building maps as you are playing, but I'm not interested enough to look for it yet. There's so much going on that I'm just trying to wrap my head around what I might want to do.

My problem is singular...the stick doesn't do anywhere NEAR all of the operations required to fly, so I wind up having to do about 70% of the small stuff on the keyboard. Now, this would be fine (and probably eventually will be OK), but for now I need a freaking cheat sheet and I've not found one yet. There's a shocking lack of information and there's no manual, so I'm just holding my breath until someone mocks up a cheater that will make the game more fun.
tomphilly

Post by tomphilly »

catdude wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:07 pm For me personally to use Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) would require a pretty big investment in hardware. I currently use a Mac mini, so I'd have to buy a new PC. Not just any new PC, I'd basically need something on the order of a serious gaming machine.
You'd be surprised by how well modern entry-level hardware will run most modern games. I used to have a ridiculous tower case with 10 fans and water cooling to run a high-end games - this is no longer necessary at all.
aude

Post by aude »

We’ve been playing for a few days and it’s great. Very large download (100+ GB) and expect a lot of patches. Seems pretty realistic. I flew over a national park that I visited the week before and it looked pretty accurate. I recommend it but you need a joystick and relatively recent hardware to enjoy it. Mine is a 7th-gen i7, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1060 6GB, and installed on an SSD. Using the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick. Really a great sim.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Look up the minimum system requirements for the game. It doesn't take much. I have a used 2013 Dell Optiplex off eBay for $150. It's paired with an Radeon RX580 video card and a power supply. That's only about $350 in total and according to Youtube, I should be able to run the game just fine on 1080p. It's when you run 1440p or 4k that you need a powerful computer.

I'm going to wait a bit before buying the game, though, as I'm too cheap to pay full price.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. You've given me some really good ideas. I don't really have a timetable for taking action on this. I may get a bit more use out of my Mac mini and then buy a mid-range PC somewhere down the road. Something that meets the recommended requirements for Flight Sim (as opposed to the minimum requirements, on the one hand; or the ideal requirements, on the other...).
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

ScaledWheel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 am
grettman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:39 am I heard the game doesn't even render well-known buildings in Washington D.C. accurately (for instance, the Washington monument shows up as a large apartment building). If this is true, that is truly disappointing.
For whatever reason, Microsoft decided that DC would not be one of the cities generated by photogrammetry. I'm sure this will change over time.
Hmmm. I wonder why . . . Think it might have something to do with the fact Washington was attacked on 9/11 and the only reason the White House is still standing is that the inept pilots couldn't locate it in the topogrophy? I hazard to guess that WAS will never be accurately mapped on retail flight sims.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

TooOldForThis wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:42 pm I've been playing is since the release date on PC. I was very interested, having not played a flight sim in more than 20 years.

For me, I don't care about photo-realism, so I've not found a problem with any of the graphics so far. I think there's a setting that essentially downloads Google Earth building maps as you are playing, but I'm not interested enough to look for it yet. There's so much going on that I'm just trying to wrap my head around what I might want to do.

My problem is singular...the stick doesn't do anywhere NEAR all of the operations required to fly, so I wind up having to do about 70% of the small stuff on the keyboard. Now, this would be fine (and probably eventually will be OK), but for now I need a freaking cheat sheet and I've not found one yet. There's a shocking lack of information and there's no manual, so I'm just holding my breath until someone mocks up a cheater that will make the game more fun.

Back in the early days of flight sim (early 1990s), I remember having a plastic keyboard overlay that came in the box for that purpose. Of course today, there is no box (or big stack of floppes :D ).
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Keep in mind that its a simulator, not a game. #1 priority for its target audience is its flight physics, weather effects and how well it replicates interaction with ATC. In fact lots of real pilots used the prior generations for training.

The eye candy upgrade is awesome and sorely overdue. but if you just want a fun flying "game' there are lots of others....
simmias

Post by simmias »

Escapevelocity wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:02 am Why not buy an XBox and play it on that?
It's not on XBox. PC only for now, with no release date yet for XBox.
$tar-Lord

Post by $tar-Lord »

Try scratching the itch with the Google Earth flight sim?

https://www.lifewire.com/hidden-flight- ... th-1616454
Tiny Portfolio

Post by Tiny Portfolio »

Great news for you, NVIDIA just announced new graphics cards(GC) and they are cheaper than previous generations. currently the best GC you can buy is the 2080TI and that runs about $1000+, The new gen 3070 will have the same performance as the 2080ti and will only cost $499, The next gen 3080 will be twice as fast as the 2080ti and cost $699 can't go wrong with either card. If you really wanted to flex your muscle the 3090 will be set you back $1499

I'm frugal so I will be buying a 3070, but for $200 more you get a lot more graphics card with the 3080. If you are fire and wanna splurge get the 3090 :moneybag

Happy gaming
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I'm a (non-current) private, instrument-rated pilot and I've had a good time playing around with this game. There's some weirdness with the scenery, but you should be able to find your own house and stuff like that. Trees, mountains, clouds, water, etc all look amazing if you can run on High settings. I've been flying with a new laptop that has a discrete GTX 1650 Ti. It's very playable on Medium but you wouldn't want to go much lower on graphics and integrated graphics are simply not a viable option.

It will take time to learn. Flight Simulator is not an arcade flying game. You won't be able to just type in an altitude into a menu and have the plane go there; you'll need to know the right sequence of button presses for the Garmin G1000 for example. It's all doable, but has learning curve.

The biggest disappointment for me is the non-flying interface portion. There are things that crash the program, menus that are slow or poorly organized, and a lack of documentation for even the stock airplanes. The flight planner stinks. They'll get some of that fixed, but it's frustrating if the game crashes because the loading time is horrific even with 32GB RAM and a fast SSD. This is one of the rare games that can actually use 10-15GB of RAM just for one program.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

For those that also have used X-Plane, how does the new Microsoft flight simulator compare with the latest X-Plane?
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

tomphilly wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:04 pm
catdude wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:07 pm For me personally to use Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) would require a pretty big investment in hardware. I currently use a Mac mini, so I'd have to buy a new PC. Not just any new PC, I'd basically need something on the order of a serious gaming machine.
You'd be surprised by how well modern entry-level hardware will run most modern games. I used to have a ridiculous tower case with 10 fans and water cooling to run a high-end games - this is no longer necessary at all.
So are you saying MS system reqs are pointless and I can play with no graphics card?
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Tiny Portfolio wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:29 pm Great news for you, NVIDIA just announced new graphics cards(GC) and they are cheaper than previous generations. currently the best GC you can buy is the 2080TI and that runs about $1000+, The new gen 3070 will have the same performance as the 2080ti and will only cost $499, The next gen 3080 will be twice as fast as the 2080ti and cost $699 can't go wrong with either card. If you really wanted to flex your muscle the 3090 will be set you back $1499

I'm frugal so I will be buying a 3070, but for $200 more you get a lot more graphics card with the 3080. If you are fire and wanna splurge get the 3090 :moneybag

Happy gaming
$499 is cheap? Anything cheaper?
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

I'm interested in this game. I still remember playing Flight Simulator II by subLogic on a Commodore 64. It blew my mind back then!

I would like to see a member review of this game with the hardware goodies; flight yoke, separate throttles and rudder. Hopefully one such review (or two!) will pop up soon.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Some tips on how to get the most out of Flight Simulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVhyOZaUcU
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

Keep in mind Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) should have a relatively long lifespan. It's way early and drivers aren't even close to being optimized for the program. Expect patches with bug fixes (212 story tower in Melbourne, anyone?) and more efficient code to be released. Fortunately, looking at the minimum system requirements, they're really not too demanding. But who wants to play this simulation using hardware that only meets the minimum system requirements? For MS Flight Simulator (2020), I think that would mean missing out on quite a bit, especially eye candy and perhaps advanced dynamic weather. In the end, the issue is what hardware will be needed in order to run at settings (and resulting experience) that are acceptable to the individual player. Remember, there is always the option to choose less than maximum quality settings to in exchange for a "better" overall experience.

I'm in a similar position but have already made the decision to build a new desktop computer. It's past time for a technology refresh; my DIY i5-4670K and GTX 750 are showing their age. Playing MS Flight Simulator (2020) on that rig isn't a realistic option. I have already ordered a 2K monitor and motherboard (MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi). The reason I opted for a 2K monitor (rather than 4K) is because I wanted the option to go with a mid-tier GPU (i.e., Radeon 5600XT, GTX 2070) for now while waiting to see the next generation of GPUs from Nvidia and ATI, er, AMD. Let's see how pricing shakes out in the next few weeks. I might even consider getting a GTX 2080 Super or GTX 2080ti if things fall the right way. The big hope is Nvidia's announcement today will encourage vendors and retailers to lower prices on existing Turing-based video cards, and thereby help move existing stock in order to make room for the incoming new generation. BTW, AMD's CEO is on public record stating the company will unveil and deliver its next generation of video cards (RDNA2, including "Big Navi") in 2020; perhaps the reveal will happen sometime in October/November. Competition is good for the consumer. I'm still debating about which CPU to buy: a Ryzen 5 3600 (and perhaps upgrade in 2021-22 after Zen 3 is released later this year) or Ryzen 7 3700X. Right now there is a @$100 difference in cost. I missed out on the Ryzen 5 3600 when it was $155 a few weeks ago.

Some members have mentioned Nvidia announced its next generation of GPUs (Ampere) earlier today. On paper, my preliminary thoughts are Nvidia has come up with something pretty damn impressive. Time will tell, especially on the pricing end. JHH certainly loves the spotlight afforded during these product announcements -- and raining on Intel's parade; don't think it's a coincidence Nvidia scheduled the Ampere reveal during Intel Gamer Days 2020. For now, I'm going to wait and let others deal with any teething issues and perhaps pay a premium for being early adopters. Finally, Nvidia's new GPU architecture is being fabbed on a new process node (Samsung 8nm). I'm old enough to recall what happened with Nvidia's NV30 debacle years ago, lol. That might have been the last time then-ATI unequivocally had the best (and fastest) dedicated video card, the legendary Radeon 9700 Pro (R300).
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

There are going to be bugs in almost *ANY* software release. This is especially true of one as ambitious and complicated as Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Fortunately, over the years this simulation franchise has a pretty good history of first and third party vendor support, as well as an active community. I expect in the future there will be multiple patches released with bug fixes, better optimized code, and perhaps even a few enhancements. This is a showcase release for both Microsoft (including Bing maps and Azure cloud computing) and Asobo Studio (developer); they'll take care of it.
nanosour

Post by nanosour »

BH_RedRan wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:49 pm For those that also have used X-Plane, how does the new Microsoft flight simulator compare with the latest X-Plane?
I'm an avid flight simmer and have both XP and FS2020. Short answer is FS2020 is light years ahead of XP in terms of the flying environment (landscape, clouds, buildings, etc); however, XP is still head and shoulders above FS2020 in term of aircraft flight dynamics and system emulation. FS2020 definitely leans more towards a game and XP is more of a flight simulator. I sure the FS2020 aircraft will get better as 3rd partly developers enter the game. Time will tell.

If I was to recommend one or the other to your average joe or even a low time pilot, I would go with FS2020. It's a lot of fun flying to known locations that resemble the real thing.

BTW: my system is i7 4790K, RTX 2070 8GB, and 32K RAM. Runs XP and FS2020 without a hitch at 1080.
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

nanosour wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:34 am
BH_RedRan wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:49 pm For those that also have used X-Plane, how does the new Microsoft flight simulator compare with the latest X-Plane?
I'm an avid flight simmer and have both XP and FS2020. Short answer is FS2020 is light years ahead of XP in terms of the flying environment (landscape, clouds, buildings, etc); however, XP is still head and shoulders above FS2020 in term of aircraft flight dynamics and system emulation. FS2020 definitely leans more towards a game and XP is more of a flight simulator. I sure the FS2020 aircraft will get better as 3rd partly developers enter the game. Time will tell.

If I was to recommend one or the other to your average joe or even a low time pilot, I would go with FS2020. It's a lot of fun flying to known locations that resemble the real thing.

BTW: my system is i7 4790K, RTX 2070 8GB, and 32K RAM. Runs XP and FS2020 without a hitch at 1080.
I'm amazed you're running anything with 32K RAM, lol. I know what you meant, just couldn't pass it up. It's late.

What settings are you using for FS2020? An RTX 2070 is one of the GPUs I'm considering.
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

TooOldForThis wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:42 pm I've been playing is since the release date on PC. I was very interested, having not played a flight sim in more than 20 years.

Try these sites for Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) keyboard commands:
https://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft-fl ... -controls/

https://www.republicworld.com/technolog ... trols.html

MS Flight Simulator (2020) tutorial videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/squirrel
nanosour

Post by nanosour »

dwc13 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:10 am
nanosour wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:34 am

I'm amazed you're running anything with 32K RAM, lol. I know what you meant, just couldn't pass it up. It's late.

What settings are you using for FS2020? An RTX 2070 is one of the GPUs I'm considering.
Nice catch....it was late.

I'm running FS one level below Ultra. Getting 50-60 fps and running very smoothly in the vast majority of the world. Down to 30-40 in major metro's like NYC. Hopefully, I'm done having to micromanage fps on my flight simulator. Been there done that.
TPIR

Post by TPIR »

I tried it with an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop bought to try the game (Mac is primary) and found loading each flight to be excruciatingly slow.

Once it got started was decent though ran it at 30fps.

Will try Xbox or cloud streaming but maybe desktop ice the answer.
batpot

Post by batpot »

TPIR wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:53 pm I tried it with an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop bought to try the game (Mac is primary) and found loading each flight to be excruciatingly slow.
platter drive?
TPIR

Post by TPIR »

batpot wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:23 pm
TPIR wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:53 pm I tried it with an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop bought to try the game (Mac is primary) and found loading each flight to be excruciatingly slow.
platter drive?
SSD
NDX 1650, 4GB VRAM (maybe needs 8)
8GB RAM (maybe needs 16)
i5 processor
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

dwc13 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:56 am

Try these sites for Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) keyboard commands:
https://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft-fl ... -controls/

https://www.republicworld.com/technolog ... trols.html

MS Flight Simulator (2020) tutorial videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/squirrel
Thanks for this...definitely a start.

However, just clicking through and scrolling (and scrolling and scrolling) through the cheat sheets just ups the daunting factor. I'm determined not to let this one slip away, though. Need to almost make an appointment for a flight a day.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

ScaledWheel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 am I do not own it yet but am planning on buying it, and all the "fun" hardware (yoke, pedals, etc), when the next generation of NVidia's graphic's cards are released sometime this fall. There has been a lot of press and excitement around the simulator and maybe by then it will have died down a bit and I can pick up some of the hardware second hand...

Are you crazy? Maybe a little bit. It's a bit easier for me to justify a graphics card/computer purchase since I can actually use them for work and research in addition to games. I'm planning on telling my wife that the hardware costs are a lot cheaper, and safer, than getting a pilot's license :D
A nice joystick and throttle lever was all I needed more. You can control yaw (rudders) via twisting the stick, no pedals needed.

I must’ve had 2000 or somewhere thereabout, can only imagine the graphics they have now. I loved the X-15 rocket plane I added in; of course instead of minutes of propellant I had an infinite tank :).
Teague

Post by Teague »

dwc13 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:32 pm
There are going to be bugs in almost *ANY* software release. This is especially true of one as ambitious and complicated as Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Fortunately, over the years this simulation franchise has a pretty good history of first and third party vendor support, as well as an active community. I expect in the future there will be multiple patches released with bug fixes, better optimized code, and perhaps even a few enhancements. This is a showcase release for both Microsoft (including Bing maps and Azure cloud computing) and Asobo Studio (developer); they'll take care of it.
I'd guess the "errors" rendering D.C. landmarks accurately are intentional, no?
Semper Augustus
TheLaughingCow

Post by TheLaughingCow »

ScaledWheel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:32 am I do not own it yet but am planning on buying it, and all the "fun" hardware (yoke, pedals, etc), when the next generation of NVidia's graphic's cards are released sometime this fall. There has been a lot of press and excitement around the simulator and maybe by then it will have died down a bit and I can pick up some of the hardware second hand...

This might be due to the perceived national security risk. DC is a restricted area.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

I have another question for those of you who've played around with MSFS. Is there an auto-pilot setting on this sim? I ask this because there are bound to be times when I want to take a break from the complexity of this program, and just go along for the ride.
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

nanosour wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:06 am
dwc13 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:10 am

Nice catch....it was late.

I'm running FS one level below Ultra. Getting 50-60 fps and running very smoothly in the vast majority of the world. Down to 30-40 in major metro's like NYC. Hopefully, I'm done having to micromanage fps on my flight simulator. Been there done that.
Good to know, thanks. I'm very interested in "visiting" areas I've always wanted to see but haven't yet been able to travel. The different perspective will be interesting, too. Many drone videos posted on YouTube are amazing, especially those shot along the coast. So scenery, rather than realistic flight scenarios and physics, will be more important from my perspective.
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

catdude wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:43 pm I have another question for those of you who've played around with MSFS. Is there an auto-pilot setting on this sim? I ask this because there are bound to be times when I want to take a break from the complexity of this program, and just go along for the ride.
Short answer is yes, there is an autopilot feature in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020).

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-fligh ... autopilot/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flig ... ntrol-7043

That being said, some have reported they are having issues with the autopilot feature in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). I haven't played this version yet so I can't offer a first-hand perspective either way.
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

wfrobinette wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:30 pm
Tiny Portfolio wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:29 pm Great news for you, NVIDIA just announced new graphics cards(GC) and they are cheaper than previous generations. currently the best GC you can buy is the 2080TI and that runs about $1000+, The new gen 3070 will have the same performance as the 2080ti and will only cost $499, The next gen 3080 will be twice as fast as the 2080ti and cost $699 can't go wrong with either card. If you really wanted to flex your muscle the 3090 will be set you back $1499

Happy gaming
$499 is cheap? Anything cheaper?
Only 3 GPUs (RTX 3090, RTX 3080 & RTX 3070) were announced by Nvidia the other day during the NV 30xx series product reveal. The Retail Recommended Price (RRP) posted by Tiny Portfolio is per Nvidia. Since this is a new architecture with some eye-popping claims of improvement over the previous generation, initial demand will likely be quite strong. Unfortunately, that will probably drive prices of RTX 30xx video cards above RRP at launch. That being said, if Nvidia's puffery about performance during the product reveal can be consistently achieved by legions of players during actual gaming scenarios, then IMO the $499 & $699 RRP for RTX 30xx cards should be considered a relative bargain, especially from a price-performance perspective. In absolute dollars, of course, YMMV, as always. Marginal utility can be different amongst consumers.

The good news is there are other (older) video cards that meet or exceed the Minimum, Recommended and Ideal system requirements for Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). For example, a GTX 970, which is the (minimum) video card for the Recommended tier, is available at Newegg from $285. That's more than $200 less than the RRP for a GTX 3070. Of course, the GTX 970 is older, considerably less efficient & capable, and has doesn't have the same set of features.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... quirements
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Decided to give it a try. Downloading now at 10 Mbps, 93.5 GB to go. Should be able to try it by my next birthday...
I have an I7 3.33 GHz, GTX 1070 with 32MB memory. Will get back as far as how well it works on the machine.

I saw several complaints that the download / install has given problems with several folks in a "forever loop" while downloading. Hopefully not me.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Downloading... 15/95 ths done, 15 hours to go I guess.
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

I did have to refire the download a couple of times, but once it gets going it will be obvious that it is proceeding (or not).
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

I got the download completed after one restart. It took about 25 hours on my pathetic DSL connection. The graphics are astounding. Clouds are quite nice. The flight dynamics are pretty good so far, mostly. After an hour of flying, I put a high-wing GA plane into a stall on purpose and that did not behave right. It just kept on flying for way too long. It called out "stall stall..." but the plane didn't behave like I know it should.

I ran with the equipment I listed above on a 4K screen and the frame rate was fine. If I spread the window across two screens though, it became very choppy and not usable. All in all, as a long time X-Plane user I'm pretty impressed with this new simulator so far after my "extensive" hour of testing that is.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

I’ve never really liked flight simulators. FPS games are more my style.
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

BH_RedRan wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:28 am I got the download completed after one restart. It took about 25 hours on my pathetic DSL connection. The graphics are astounding. Clouds are quite nice. The flight dynamics are pretty good so far, mostly. After an hour of flying, I put a high-wing GA plane into a stall on purpose and that did not behave right. It just kept on flying for way too long. It called out "stall stall..." but the plane didn't behave like I know it should.

I ran with the equipment I listed above on a 4K screen and the frame rate was fine. If I spread the window across two screens though, it became very choppy and not usable. All in all, as a long time X-Plane user I'm pretty impressed with this new simulator so far after my "extensive" hour of testing that is.
What settings did you use? I'm guessing for the most part Medium or High.

Glad you were able to finally get up and running. DSL? Yikes, lol.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Guys, the Amazon reviews for Flight Sim are horrifying. Such as... It takes forever to download, or won't download at all; troubles installing the program; computer crashes galore; etc. etc. Sounds like this program may not be ready for prime time. Think I'll wait awhile to get it... Anyway, you can check out the reviews here:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight ... ll_reviews
dwc13

Post by dwc13 »

catdude wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:43 pm Guys, the Amazon reviews for Flight Sim are horrifying. Such as... It takes forever to download, or won't download at all; troubles installing the program; computer crashes galore; etc. etc. Sounds like this program may not be ready for prime time. Think I'll wait awhile to get it... Anyway, you can check out the reviews here:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight ... ll_reviews
Many of the so-called negative "reviews" were likely from the first week. MS Flight Simulator (2020) is a very large download (100 GB+). Steam's & Microsoft's servers were probably taxed with so many players attempting to download the program on Day 1. That happens when there is a very highly-anticipated digital release.

As I have noted previously, this will be an ongoing effort by Asobo Studio, Microsoft, third party developers and the gaming community for the next @10 years. There are definitely issues that need to be addressed by Asobo, Microsoft and Steam. Towards that end, the first patch has already been released (9/2) and another is scheduled for release by the end of this month. If I was already finished with my new PC build, I would download MS Flight Simulator (2020) today.

For a more objective and meaningful perspective about actual simulation play, check out fan site reviews and videos already posted on YouTube.
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

I can certainly see where problems could arise, but I experienced nothing more than a couple of routine snags in installing (took about 90 minutes total, including the snags). It loads fine, runs on ultra without glitches on my home built system (about 18 months old), and is just an impressive piece of software.

To each their own, of course.