Tuxedo crisis. Help!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catchup

Tuxedo crisis. Help!

Post by catchup »

Hi. I’m packing up our house to move out, and sadly I can’t find the pants I wore with my Brooks Brothers tuxedo I bought 15 years ago for my wedding. A victim of multiple moves, etc.

Does anyone know if tuxedos are purchased as a single matching suit, or are the pants sold separately, like grey pants and a sport jacket?

In other words, can they be replaced, or is the jacket and cummerbund useless without the matching pants. Would Brooks Brothers be able to find the pants that go with that jacket.

Anyone ever lost something like that of sentimental value?

Thanks.
Last edited by catchup on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carson

Re: Tuxedo crisis. Help!

Post by Carson »

Sorry to hear that! I assume you’ve checked all the other hangers, in case they got hung up on some thing else?

I am not a tuxedo expert, but do know some things about clothing. If they are able to replace them, it will be very difficult to ensure the fabric is a perfect match. Not only do fabric weaves and fiber content change, but over time they may change color even when kept out of the light.

Previously, I would have thought Brooks Brothers could maybe straighten you out or make some suggestions, but with the economy being what it is, I’m not sure how good of service they’re providing these days
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Brooks Brothers used to sell tuxedo separates (pants/jacket), not sure how they're doing these days with the bankruptcy though.

After 15 years they may have changed the styles slightly, but you could check their website.

Post by 123 »

Have you looked at the Brooks Brothers website https://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/tux ... t=24&sz=24 ? They filed for bankruptcy this past July and are closing stores. The web-site does offer some tuxedo pants seperately, perhaps there's a style that will work for you. Perhaps call a store near year. I wouldn't wait too long to figure things out.

Edited to add:
With COVID19 pandemic and canceled/delayed wedding ceremonies maybe they have excess inventory.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

catchup wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 pm Hi. I’m packing up our house to move out, and sadly I can’t find the pants I wore with my Brooks Brothers tuxedo 15 years ago at our wedding. A victim of multiple moves, etc.

Does anyone know if tuxedos are purchased as a single matching suit, or are the pants sold separately, like grey pants and a sport jacket?

In other words, can they be replaced, or is the jacket and cummerbund useless without the matching pants. Would Brooks Brothers be able to find the pants that go with that jacket.

Thanks.
Is it a traditional, all-black tux? Technically, it's supposed to match, but I don't think it matters. Maybe, I'm slightly color-blind, but to me all black wool dress pants appear to be the same color: black. Unless someone has a very discerning eye, no one else will else will be able to tell those weren't the pants which originally came with the suit. It won't look off the way it would trying to match a light-blue jacket with dark-blue pants.
Topic Author
catchup

Post by catchup »

Yes, it’s traditional black.
I think you’re probably right.
I’ll either replace the pants now or wait another 10 or 20 years until my children get married.

Thanks.
thecurrybo5000

Post by thecurrybo5000 »

Do not try and match the 15 year old tuxedo to a new pair of pants, even if Brooks brothers still sells tuxedo separates. They will look mismatched from a color, texture, and cut standpoint. The same rules apply to traditional suits.

When you need a tuxedo again, you will need to buy (or rent) a new one.
Topic Author
catchup

Post by catchup »

Yes, you are probably right.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

catchup wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:21 pm Yes, it’s traditional black.
I think you’re probably right.
I’ll either replace the pants now or wait another 10 or 20 years until my children get married.

Thanks.
So you won't need it for another 10 or 20 years? Most people aren't going to be same size at their kid's wedding as they were at their own wedding.
Topic Author
catchup

Post by catchup »

I’m a little bit thinner than at my wedding. Now running marathons. Good point though.
Topic Author
catchup

Post by catchup »

If I’m fortunate enough to have that blessing of seeing my kids get married, this will all seem trivial whether I wear the same tux or not.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

A 12 year old string??? About tuxedo pants?

I have my favorite buggy whip that needs the handle wrapped. What do I do?

It's like my favorite cherished family heirloom ax, Abe Lincoln once owned it - head has been replaced twice and the handle has been replaced 3 times.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

catchup wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:05 pm I’m a little bit thinner than at my wedding. Now running marathons. Good point though.
Most people go in the opposite direction. Whether you get bigger or smaller, a change in chest size of two inches will affect the fit of the jacket.
Topic Author
catchup

Post by catchup »

jello_nailer wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 pm A 12 year old string??? About tuxedo pants?

It's like my favorite cherished family heirloom ax, Abe Lincoln once owned it - head has been replaced twice and the handle has been replaced 3 times.
Not sure I’m picking up what you’re laying down, but it seems as if I’m being mocked.

It was a big purchase then, with a lot of sentimental value, and I had a serious question about the most sensible way forward with respect to spending a bunch of money to replace the item or wasting a bunch of money by never using the jacket again. Needed some practical input.
Minty

Post by Minty »

I cannot personally vouch that this is still the case, but back in the day (the 1980s) the smart money in certain parts of the east coast bought a tuxedo at Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. for about the same price as a single rental. I am highly confident, as Michael Milken used to say when he was at Drexel, that Keezer's could come up with a nice pair of tuxedo pants at a fair price. I got married in my Keezer's tuxedo, and because of the adjustable nature of the pants, 35 years later will still cheerfully accept any invitation to a formal event. See you at the punch bowl.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 4.125% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 locked 1.99% 15
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

catchup wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:21 pm I’ll either replace the pants now or wait another 10 or 20 years until my children get married.
Most decluttering experts suggest getting rid of anything you haven't used or worn in the last year or two. What's the difference between a suit and a tuxedo and why can't you wear a suit at the wedding?
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

As a practical matter, newly bought pants will never match a vintage jacket. You might consider keeping the jacket as a momento to maybe wear with white pants at a special anniversary.

As to losing sentimental items, I lost my wedding ring while working in the front yard bushes. My daughter lost her husband’s wedding ring (she wanted to keep it safe) while paddle boarding in Hawaii.

Whenever we have planting done in front, I offer a reward if anyone finds the ring.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

jello_nailer wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 pm A 12 year old string??? About tuxedo pants?

Is it still the "same" axe? That's an ongoing philosophical discussion.

Seriously, why not just try to sell the pants on eBay? Then buy what you need, if you need, for future occasions. I was married in just a black suit. Never owned or rented a tux until my son's wedding. DIL wanted it that formal. My DD a few years earlier was fine with just suits.
econprof

Post by econprof »

Many people are critiquing the premise here, which I don’t think is really what the OP needs. This isn’t the place to debate whether tuxedos are valuable, whether most people gain weight, etc.

OP: No, you cannot /exactly/ match old fabric due to changes in production and the way the garment changes over time. However, you can probably do well enough to fool all but a professional suit salesman. You need to match on three aspects: color, material, and cut.

Color: not all blacks are built the same.

Material: this is the big one. The most likely problem you will encounter is that the finish/shine on the pants doesn’t match the jacket.

To deal with these issues, bring the garment with you and prepare to shop around a lot. Brooks brothers, outlet stores, Keezers if you’re in Boston.

Cut; not a big issue with tuxedo pants, because pants mostly haven’t changed and also people don’t notice the cut of your pants, as long as they’re hemmed right.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

RudyS wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:23 am

Seriously, why not just try to sell the pants on eBay? Then buy what you need, if you need, for future occasions. I was married in just a black suit. Never owned or rented a tux until my son's wedding. DIL wanted it that formal. My DD a few years earlier was fine with just suits.
If he's going to get rid of it, give it to Goodwill. No one's going to pay much of anything for a 15-year-old tux jacket without the missing pants.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

For me it would be a great excuse to never wear a tuxedo again. Black tie? Sorry I lost the trousers! You wouldn't want me to show up without them, would you?
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

oldfort wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:38 am
RudyS wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:23 am

If he's going to get rid of it, give it to Goodwill. No one's going to pay much of anything for a 15-year-old tux jacket without the missing pants.
Goodwill is a great idea. No hassle. Good cause. But FYI, and info for possible use if it's deductible, there are such Brooks Brothers tuxedo jackets that have been sold (not just listed) on eBay for $25 to $80. Trick is to catch someone who needs that specific size.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

thecurrybo5000 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:32 pm Do not try and match the 15 year old tuxedo to a new pair of pants, even if Brooks brothers still sells tuxedo separates. They will look mismatched from a color, texture, and cut standpoint. The same rules apply to traditional suits.

When you need a tuxedo again, you will need to buy (or rent) a new one.
Completely disagree, that's a style from the 70s. Watch an old Bond film. It's absolutely no issue to have different top and bottom. As long as the bottom is appropriate, it will probably look a bit more classy.

Edit: if you buy a kilt, you will be absolutely perfect!
FD1150

Post by FD1150 »

Bought my own tux as I have 3 daughters. Thought I would save over repeated rentals. Wore it to middle daughter's traditional wedding to good effect. Gave away youngest daughter while wearing an aloha shirt, cargo shorts, slippahs, and gargoyles. Oldest daughter still single and happy. Things change.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

oldfort wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:16 pm
catchup wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 pm Hi. I’m packing up our house to move out, and sadly I can’t find the pants I wore with my Brooks Brothers tuxedo 15 years ago at our wedding. A victim of multiple moves, etc.

Thanks.
Is it a traditional, all-black tux? Technically, it's supposed to match, but I don't think it matters. Maybe, I'm slightly color-blind, but to me all black wool dress pants appear to be the same color: black. Unless someone has a very discerning eye, no one else will else will be able to tell those weren't the pants which originally came with the suit. It won't look off the way it would trying to match a light-blue jacket with dark-blue pants.
There are many different shades of black in wool. You may not be able to tell the difference, but lots of folks will be able to. It would be better to go with a different color of pants, like a gray pinstripe, if that looks OK with the tuxedo jacket.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:07 pm
oldfort wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:16 pm

Thanks.
There are many different shades of black in wool. You may not be able to tell the difference, but lots of folks will be able to. It would be better to go with a different color of pants, like a gray pinstripe, if that looks OK with the tuxedo jacket.
Then, he should buy a new tux if/when the time comes he needs one again, which will fit him at the time and is appropriate to the formality of the wedding. A black tux jacket with grey pinstripe pants can look to me too much like British morning dress, which at the weddings I've been to would make you look like an extra from Downton Abbey.