What purchases are you planning now for the Fall/Winter to get ahead of demand?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What purchases are you planning now for the Fall/Winter to get ahead of demand?

Post by VictoriaF »

Flu shot.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
MJS

Re: What purchases are you planning now for the Fall/Winter to get ahead of demand?

Post by MJS »

Prescription drugs. I've been ordering a new 3 month supply every 2 months since March. It's more for "excess of caution" than deep worry at this point.

The FDA has a database of current shortages, mostly respiratory, blood thinner and anti-depressant meds:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... efault.cfm
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Xrayman69 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:58 am
cowdogman wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:12 am That's a really good/helpful question.

Purell. In fact your question caused me to order some more. You may laugh, but they are great gifts. I've had a couple people mention they had a hard time finding Purell hand sanitizer and so I gave them each a 12 oz bottle. You would have thought I had given them a Rolex.

I like to cook and even before COVID I would order high-quality cooking basics in bulk--canned tomatoes, rice, flour, etc. I'll look at my supplies later today and will put in an order.

Really good/timely question. I'll give it some more thought.
I hate to be nostalgic but still can’t get over the inflation on the pricing of Purell when it can be found at all. Pre Covid we had huge jugs of purell to fill up our pocket or purse 2 oz containers. These jugs ran about $7-8 and a 6 pack of the purell small containers cost about $10 (I bought because I kept losing those containers leaving them on the table when going out)

I specifically like purell and have found the hand sanitizers from those new brands can have a weird drying or clumping sticky residue.

I recently saw on Amazon that purell 12oz Hand pumps are upwards of $12 if not more. Can’t ever find in in the stores (target, groceries, etc) and only find those new brands. Lucky we had those 2 large jugs that have lasted through the pandemic for our refills.

Wondering if and when purell will return and the prices return to some semblance of “reasonable”. Just an annoyance, as if lush came to pull, would certainly buy it as I have faith in the product and the brand.
Best prices I've found are Office Depot. Office Depot has 12 12oz pump bottles for $112.99 (at least right now).
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:17 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 pm Believe it or not, toilet paper is starting to disappear again. There are no wipes still, and now bleach containing cleaners either. I can’t find dumbbells either.
It must be a local shortage. The closest stores to me have Clorox cleaning products, wipes and TP. Paper towels are available again. Dawn dishwashing detergent too!

I worry most about food. Red meet - iron deficient blood is a problem for me right now.
Good plant sources of iron include lentils, chickpeas, beans, tofu, cashew nuts, chia seeds, ground linseed, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, kale, dried apricots and figs, raisins, quinoa and fortified breakfast cereal.

There are lots of factors that affect the amount of iron your body can absorb from your diet. The most important factor is your body’s need for iron: more is absorbed when your body is short of iron, and less is absorbed when your stores are full. Tea, coffee and some substances in plant foods may make it difficult for your body to absorb iron. On the other hand, vitamin C increases iron absorption. Good sources of vitamin C include pepper, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kiwifruit, oranges, strawberries, pineapple, grapefruit and orange juice.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Marmot wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:12 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:17 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 pm Believe it or not, toilet paper is starting to disappear again. There are no wipes still, and now bleach containing cleaners either. I can’t find dumbbells either.
It must be a local shortage. The closest stores to me have Clorox cleaning products, wipes and TP. Paper towels are available again. Dawn dishwashing detergent too!

I worry most about food. Red meet - iron deficient blood is a problem for me right now.
Good plant sources of iron include lentils, chickpeas, beans, tofu, cashew nuts, chia seeds, ground linseed, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, kale, dried apricots and figs, raisins, quinoa and fortified breakfast cereal.

There are lots of factors that affect the amount of iron your body can absorb from your diet. The most important factor is your body’s need for iron: more is absorbed when your body is short of iron, and less is absorbed when your stores are full. Tea, coffee and some substances in plant foods may make it difficult for your body to absorb iron. On the other hand, vitamin C increases iron absorption. Good sources of vitamin C include pepper, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kiwifruit, oranges, strawberries, pineapple, grapefruit and orange juice.

Taking iron pills with vitamins c, b12 and d. Eating red meat 5 times a week (3 oz servings). Working at eating More beans and veggies. Am trying to drastically improve diet. I have more color in my cheeks after 1.5 months.

More energy - easy to walk briskly.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post discussing medical aspects of coronavirus vaccine shots (medical advice is off-topic). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Also see: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
texasred

Post by texasred »

Microwave. On back order and ours is still working. We just want be ahead of the game.
texasred

Post by texasred »

Microwave. On back order and ours is still working. We just want be ahead of the game. Had tuneups done on both cars, eye exams, physicals and dental.