What purchases are you planning now for the Fall/Winter to get ahead of demand?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
linuxizer

What purchases are you planning now for the Fall/Winter to get ahead of demand?

Post by linuxizer »

Having still not received a back-ordered chest freezer which I ordered a week too late, I'm trying to be proactive about Fall/Winter purchases.

Chief among these are to make sure our kids can still socialize and get any lessons they need outdoors on the patio. That means:
- Fire pit (Solo Stove still on summer sale, just arrived)
- Patio heater (the cheaper and apparently just as functional model at Costco is already sold out. Home Depot had a model I liked and ordered, only to get an e-mail the next day saying backordered. Canceled and ordered one from Walmart which is now shipped and in transit).

Things I'm holding off on as better availability seems to be right around the corner:
- Barbells/dumbells/kettlebells

What's your list?
life in slices

Re: What purchases are you planning now for the Fall/Winter to get ahead of demand?

Post by life in slices »

1. Grow lights for getting the veggies going indoors this winter ahead of planting in the spring
2. Liner for the outdoor hockey rink

I think that is it so far
livesoft

Re: What purchases are you planning now for the Fall/Winter to get ahead of demand?

Post by livesoft »

Backpacking permits for the winter season.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Hmm, good question. After racking my brain, actually, nothing!

Christmas presents, maybe? I am about 35% done already.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Nothing. I bought a bunch of meat for my freezer (have had a chest freezer for years) after it was announced there was going to most likely be a meat shortage. I can find TP and hand sanitizer again. I'm ignoring all the shortage warnings from now on. It turns out there was no meat shortage in my area at all. Not even close. I don't normally "stock up" to the extent that I did either and I'm kind of irritated I succumbed to the hype.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Opposite scenario: I am waiting until winter to buy patio furniture at a (hopefully) discounted price.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I'm probably going to get a treadmill... if I can figure out where to put it.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

That's a really good/helpful question.

Purell. In fact your question caused me to order some more. You may laugh, but they are great gifts. I've had a couple people mention they had a hard time finding Purell hand sanitizer and so I gave them each a 12 oz bottle. You would have thought I had given them a Rolex.

I like to cook and even before COVID I would order high-quality cooking basics in bulk--canned tomatoes, rice, flour, etc. I'll look at my supplies later today and will put in an order.

Really good/timely question. I'll give it some more thought.
PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan »

paper towels, masks, purell. With Flu season coming I have to imagine we will see a spike in illness.

:annoyed :annoyed
Topic Author
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Grow lights and seeds are good ideas if you garden. Can always use 4 foot LED shop lights for grow lights; slightly less efficient.

Flu season could be bad because fewer immunizations, or better because the COVID precautions may limit its spread. We'll see.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I can tell you cruise cabins on premier lines and smaller more personal ships are getting real scarce almost 2.5 years out.
J Dough

Post by J Dough »

Chimney cleaning service
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (purchases).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
batpot

Post by batpot »

PoultryMan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:24 am With Flu season coming I have to imagine we will see a spike in illness.
How are you going to get the flu when everybody is washing their hands, wearing masks, and social distancing?
:wink:

for us it's camping/lodging reservations for next summer...
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

Already ordered an outdoor heater. Considered two, but who knows if we're really going to be spending time outside in the winter.

Given what happened with gym equipment, toilet paper, I see a lot of people thinking along these lines.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

we have started looking for Halloween costumes and Xmas presents, starting to re-stock on cleaning materials, water, and frozen foods expecting a second wave two weeks after school starts, so about two weeks from now...
beachairs

Post by beachairs »

We'd like to pull the trigger on finally adding a hot tub.
matti

Post by matti »

I've had my eye on a spooky-looking Halloween candelabra decoration set at the Dollar General. It's $7 and was still there the other day. I might pick uit up this weekend. My wife gives me permission to put up the Halloween decorations the day after Labor Day. At 41yo, Halloween season still makes me giddy like a little kid.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am Hmm, good question. After racking my brain, actually, nothing!

I am just going to order those in early December and have them sent directly to the recipients. We do one per household presents, anyway and unless there is a vaccine, we aren't going anywhere near our anti mask family members.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

sailaway wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:07 pm
runner3081 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am Hmm, good question. After racking my brain, actually, nothing!

I am just going to order those in early December and have them sent directly to the recipients. We do one per household presents, anyway and unless there is a vaccine, we aren't going anywhere near our anti mask family members.
Lucky (mostly) for us, we have exactly zero family members within a 5-state radius. Gifts are always mailed. I do most between Nov and Christmas, but if the deal is good enough now to cover added shipping myself, I will buy now.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:47 pm
sailaway wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Lucky (mostly) for us, we have exactly zero family members within a 5-state radius. Gifts are always mailed. I do most between Nov and Christmas, but if the deal is good enough now to cover added shipping myself, I will buy now.
Our family is all nearby, but on the opposite coast from us. I used to pack gifts, until one year when one of those gifts was a large family sized tent that I had to lug from baggage claim to the curb while balancing all the luggage because DH was injured. Now I ship it.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

life in slices wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 am 1. Grow lights for getting the veggies going indoors this winter ahead of planting in the spring
2. Liner for the outdoor hockey rink

I think that is it so far
Have you done this before? I’d love to grow some. And we have a south facing room with plenty of windows. But we keep 70 degrees during the day and 62 at night in winter. The room has its own hvac so we can adjust if needed. Most plants in that room just die out in winter. But I am wondering if grow light would make a difference?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ You can ask here: Gardening 2020
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

I've been working on increasing our supply of all personal products, paper products, cleaning products, canned goods, and shelf stable ingredients. I'm hoping there is not a large second wave but if there is, we want to be prepared. When we first went into this in March, we were able to avoid shopping for 4 weeks. I want to maintain or increase the amount of time we can go without shopping if necessary while mostly maintaining our standard of living. I also noted items we were missing or short on last time, like butter, yeast, and flour and made sure we have quite a bit going into fall.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

PoultryMan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:24 am paper towels, masks, purell. With Flu season coming I have to imagine we will see a spike in illness.

I'm thinking the opposite. I think with all of the hand washing, sanitizing, mask wearing, etc. that is currently in place, that it may keep illnesses curtailed later this year into next--at least I'm hoping.

But I do like this question. We will probably keep stocked up on hand soap and paper towels and probably make some small kits for our college-age kids with ibuprofen, cough and cold medicine, etc.
imsomeguy

Post by imsomeguy »

Which outdoor space heater did you get?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:28 pm
PoultryMan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:24 am paper towels, masks, purell. With Flu season coming I have to imagine we will see a spike in illness.

I'm thinking the opposite. I think with all of the hand washing, sanitizing, mask wearing, etc. that is currently in place, that it may keep illnesses curtailed later this year into next--at least I'm hoping.
?
But I do like this question. We will probably keep stocked up on hand soap and paper towels and probably make some small kits for our college-age kids with ibuprofen, cough and cold medicine, etc.
I have seen a lot of PSAs for getting your flu shot this year and I am kind of like, really? Is the flu going to crawl under my door jamb? I mean, I probably will get it, especially if DH's on campus clinic will give it to spouses (they are extending services a little in order to justify being open for any services, since hardly anyone is working on campus), but it seems less important than usual due to all of the other measures in place, rather than more important than usual.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

1. Holiday lights
2. Outdoor sports gear (cross country skis and snow shoes)
3. Items for winter projects/entertainment - puzzles, scanner for old photos, indoor paint & supplies, camera, etc.
4. Patio heater
5. Grow lights and seeds

Will continue to maintain extra paper products, cleaning supplies, etc.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

momvesting wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:05 pm I've been working on increasing our supply of all personal products, paper products, cleaning products, canned goods, and shelf stable ingredients. I'm hoping there is not a large second wave but if there is, we want to be prepared. When we first went into this in March, we were able to avoid shopping for 4 weeks. I want to maintain or increase the amount of time we can go without shopping if necessary while mostly maintaining our standard of living. I also noted items we were missing or short on last time, like butter, yeast, and flour and made sure we have quite a bit going into fall.
We are doing this, too, and adding even more than what we had initially stockpiled last spring.

Most of it is things that we'd use up, albeit it might take some time.
But there are a few things, like some canned vegetables that we otherwise wouldn't keep on hand or use. We figure that if they aren't needed, we'll donate them to the local homeless shelter that we try to support.

Now that we have a bit of a better understanding of how bad this is, and how long it might continue - it isn't going to magically disappear, etc., and it may even be the case that there isn't a good immunity possible anyway (!?) - we're adding quite a bit more.
We are especially stocking up on a few things where serious allergies limit the choices we have.

So if there's a good vaccine and super effective treatment, etc., it would be a donation we'd be delighted to make.
Indeed, IF we could, we'd pay many times the cost of those supplies if it meant we could put an end to all of this.

One amusing (?) outcome thus far is our diet.
It turns out that we LIKE eating beans, especially garbanzo beans mixed with some other type, plus a bit of flavoring.
And we feel that it is healthier than many of our other "dinners" over the years, and it's also less expensive (even with organic/low-salt versions). So we manage to feel very virtuous in the process. :happy
We expect to continue eating this way at least some/much of the time whenever these strange times are over.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Over the years, I usually buy my seasonal items when they're on clearance after the prior season. So I already have seasonal lights and decorations bought almost entirely on clearance. I do have to make some repairs to my LED snowman though, so I should start looking for compatible parts.

I've never bothered with a patio heater or fire pit because it doesn't really get that cold around here. You could be quite comfortable in a jacket and gloves for hours at a time.

I also traditionally stocked up on cleaning supplies, toilet paper, and the like in late October so I wouldn't have to set foot in the likes of Target or Walmart during Christmas shopping season. I did another round of restocking in February (early for me) when one of my co-workers warned how his family in Asia was asking him to ship them certain items. I should probably inventory what I had on hand and start resupplying now.

I've been thinking of other areas where supply chain disruption could be problematic, such as parts to repair electronics, and single points of failure. I have several computers, so if one fails, I can switch to an older one. The only weak point I have there is my cell phone, as I have no back-up if it fails other than the flip phone of another household member. I just can't bring myself to pay the prices for 5G phones currently.

Likewise, if my car breaks down, I have no back-up there. I was having an issue with it the other week that I was able to solve after a couple of hours, but when I called the shop early on in the process, they said they had no loaners and the Enterprise rental agency down the street was also out of cars to rent. Not like you can stock up on cars though (well, I suppose you could, but that's a whole different thread), so I'll just have to take care of the one I have.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

beachairs wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:46 pm We'd like to pull the trigger on finally adding a hot tub.
Amen to that. I want one of those inflatable hot tubs, but the good ones are sold out.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Spouse convinced me to buy patio heaters so that we can continue our "socially distanced deck entertaining" into the fall and perhaps even on warmer winter days. I will pick up two cheapo units plus four propane tanks from Lowe's tomorrow.

I wanted natgas versions but would have had to replumb the natgas supply to the deck -- it's already slightly undersized for the grill and would have been a major project.
hmw

Post by hmw »

Apparently the flu season in the southern hemisphere has been much milder than usual likely due to the social distancing measures.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I purchased garden seeds for next spring, as there was a massive run on all thing gardening this summer.

We are stockpiling our homegrown vegetables - canning and freezing. Canning jars are difficult to find, DW picked up a couple dozen Anchor Hocking pint jars...her second choice as Ball Jars were gone. She had to travel 45 minutes to get these.

Paper towels are in short supply now...not sure why.

Ed
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I need to replace one set of snow tires. All I've done is thought about it. Haven't done anything. I've got 3 or 4 cords of wood split and stacked, ready for the wood furnace. Will do more....maybe a couple more cords, but I'm in good shape and I cut through the winter if the snow isn't too deep.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

MP173 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:47 pm
......Paper towels are in short supply now...not sure why.

Ed
The 8/22/20 WSJ has an article on that very subject. It is interesting. I recommend reading it if you have access. (I read the WSJ online through the local library.)

"Why Are There Still Not Enough Paper Towels? Blame lean manufacturing. A decades long effort to eke out more profit by keeping inventory low left many manufacturers unprepared when Covid-19 struck. And production is unlikely to ramp up significantly any time soon.......

.....An average of 21% of household paper products were out of stock at U.S. stores as of Aug. 9, according to research firm IRI.
The situation isn't likely to abate soon, because producers have no plans to build new manufacturing capacity. The central piece of the machinery needed to make paper towels takes years to assemble......

Terlep, Sharon; Gasparro, Annie . Wall Street Journal (Online) ; New York, N.Y. [New York, N.Y]22 Aug2020."
I don't know anything.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Blizzak tires for my hybrid. The low rolling resistance tires that came with it are not the best in snow.

Cheap generator to power essentials. After decades of nothing more an interruption for a blown transformer, we've had 3 days long outages in 4 years.
Topic Author
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

imsomeguy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:32 pm Which outdoor space heater did you get?

Fire Sense Black Sapphire Propane Patio Heater

Most of the $150 ones seem pretty similar. The $300 ones mostly had mixed reviews. So I stuck with the cheaper models. Maybe I'll regret it.

The Solo Stove is well constructed and the concept is smart.

Too hot to try either any time soon.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

linuxizer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:00 am Having still not received a back-ordered chest freezer which I ordered a week too late, I'm trying to be proactive about Fall/Winter purchases.

Chief among these are to make sure our kids can still socialize and get any lessons they need outdoors on the patio. That means:
- Fire pit (Solo Stove still on summer sale, just arrived)
- Patio heater (the cheaper and apparently just as functional model at Costco is already sold out. Home Depot had a model I liked and ordered, only to get an e-mail the next day saying backordered. Canceled and ordered one from Walmart which is now shipped and in transit).

Things I'm holding off on as better availability seems to be right around the corner:
- Barbells/dumbells/kettlebells

What's your list?
1. Camping reservations.

Post by 123 »

I've been thinking about buying some more VXUS for more international exposure in one taxable account. The run-up in the US stock market has put my international component out-of-kilter.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

If you are thinking of kettlebells or weights, I got some recently off Amazon. It was $37 for a 25lb. $63 for a 40lb vinyl one. $70 for a 60lb one. All Amazon basics. Two arrived within a week. The other said two months, but it keeps getting pushed up, looking like it will be 3 week. These are pretty standard prices.

Under other sellers, sometimes there are used ones as well.

I'm still trying to find a shake-a-weight
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Theseus wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:08 pm

Have you done this before? I’d love to grow some. And we have a south facing room with plenty of windows. But we keep 70 degrees during the day and 62 at night in winter. The room has its own hvac so we can adjust if needed. Most plants in that room just die out in winter. But I am wondering if grow light would make a difference?
Getting seedlings going requires 16 hours of light, south-facing windows will not make it. I use the cheapo LED shop lights, keep them on 18 hours a day with a timer and grow great starts.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Believe it or not, toilet paper is starting to disappear again. There are no wipes still, and now bleach containing cleaners either. I can’t find dumbbells either.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

I've started shopping for a used car to replace our wife's 2010 Honda. Finding there are more than a few people who need to sell a vehicle because they are out of work or they believe they only need one vehicle because they are no longer commuting. It's an opportunity to help help them and find a good value.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:32 pm Getting seedlings going requires 16 hours of light, south-facing windows will not make it. I use the cheapo LED shop lights, keep them on 18 hours a day with a timer and grow great starts.
Can you share a link to the sort of lights you mean? The strips or the bulbs?
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

Last year's skis, ski gear... often 40%+ off if you look on the internet in the right places and either the same or has minor changes compared to the upcoming season.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:23 am
TheGreyingDuke wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:32 pm Getting seedlings going requires 16 hours of light, south-facing windows will not make it. I use the cheapo LED shop lights, keep them on 18 hours a day with a timer and grow great starts.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough- ... /345205251

But read here for some detail about color and some ideas on how to mix bulbs with different colors; I have not paid this very much mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_light
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:40 am
sean.mcgrath wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:23 am
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough- ... /345205251

But read here for some detail about color and some ideas on how to mix bulbs with different colors; I have not paid this very much mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_light
Perfect. Thank you.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 pm Believe it or not, toilet paper is starting to disappear again. There are no wipes still, and now bleach containing cleaners either. I can’t find dumbbells either.
It must be a local shortage. The closest stores to me have Clorox cleaning products, wipes and TP. Paper towels are available again. Dawn dishwashing detergent too!

I worry most about food. Red meet - iron deficient blood is a problem for me right now.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

cowdogman wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:12 am That's a really good/helpful question.

Purell. In fact your question caused me to order some more. You may laugh, but they are great gifts. I've had a couple people mention they had a hard time finding Purell hand sanitizer and so I gave them each a 12 oz bottle. You would have thought I had given them a Rolex.

I like to cook and even before COVID I would order high-quality cooking basics in bulk--canned tomatoes, rice, flour, etc. I'll look at my supplies later today and will put in an order.

Really good/timely question. I'll give it some more thought.
I hate to be nostalgic but still can’t get over the inflation on the pricing of Purell when it can be found at all. Pre Covid we had huge jugs of purell to fill up our pocket or purse 2 oz containers. These jugs ran about $7-8 and a 6 pack of the purell small containers cost about $10 (I bought because I kept losing those containers leaving them on the table when going out)

I specifically like purell and have found the hand sanitizers from those new brands can have a weird drying or clumping sticky residue.

I recently saw on Amazon that purell 12oz Hand pumps are upwards of $12 if not more. Can’t ever find in in the stores (target, groceries, etc) and only find those new brands. Lucky we had those 2 large jugs that have lasted through the pandemic for our refills.

Wondering if and when purell will return and the prices return to some semblance of “reasonable”. Just an annoyance, as if lush came to pull, would certainly buy it as I have faith in the product and the brand.