Hilton Head recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Turkishcoffee

Hilton Head recommendation

Post by Turkishcoffee »

Would like to plan a vacation at Hilton Head. It has been over 30 years since I’ve been there and would appreciate suggestions. I remember the names of palmetto dunes, sea pines and harbor town, but other than Harbour town being sort of a “town shopping center”, I don’t remember much.

Any help with place to stay would be great. We want to:

1) be on the beach
2) have a pool (community is fine)
3) home or condo sleeping 4-8
4) golf is everywhere and ok to drive to
5) restaurants can be driven to

Thanks!
Walkure

Re: Hilton Head recommendation

Post by Walkure »

Turkishcoffee wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:29 pm Would like to plan a vacation at Hilton Head. It has been over 30 years since I’ve been there and would appreciate suggestions. I remember the names of palmetto dunes, sea pines and harbor town, but other than Harbour town being sort of a “town shopping center”, I don’t remember much.

Any help with place to stay would be great. We want to:

1) be on the beach
2) have a pool (community is fine)
3) home or condo sleeping 4-8
4) golf is everywhere and ok to drive to
5) restaurants can be driven to

Thanks!
Did an Airbnb in a condo unit here two years ago: https://www.hhibeachandtennis.com/
Ours was a one-bedroom but there may be larger ones available. Nothing fancy, kind of a family-oriented place.
When we went the 4-star places were asking $300-400 more per night. Now the delta is $100.
Rockman

Post by Rockman »

We go to HHI every year and thoroughly enjoy it. We have went thru Seapines.com for accommodations and have never had an issue. Once inside Sea Pines which includes Harbour Town we have stayed in other areas such as South Beach or a house near the beach. They offer something you would enjoy I am sure. They post all condos and homes available for rental. They built a new beach club a few years ago and it is very nice to hang at the beach for the day. South Beach would be less crowded if you prefer. Sea Pines is gated so it gives you a bit more secure feeling also. Our favorite place to vacation.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

You didn't specify when you are thinking about going but we were there 3 wks ago and it was packed with people. We've been going for 30 yrs and have never seen so many people.
We've rented with Destination Vacations and Sea Pines and were happy with the accommodations that both offered. Every house we have rented had a pool. If you're renting within walking distance of the beach you might want to look at a map and see how far your property is from one of the beach access paths.

Restaurants
One Hot Mama's has some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten. We typically do take-out from them. It's just outside the Sea Pines gate.
Sunset Grill has good food and a great upstairs water view. It's on the north end of the island.
Charlie's L'Etoile Verte has been there forever and is consistently good.

If you want to go North - South on the island use the Cross island parkway. There's a $1.25 toll each way but it avoids many traffic lights on 278 and has a great view over the bridge.
Savermom

Post by Savermom »

Marriott Vacation Club Grande Ocean

They have 2 bedroom units w a comfortable sofa bed in the living room
Topic Author
Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee »

Should have stated, we are trying for late March early April. I would think the water is still pretty cold then but I need it to coincide with Spring Breaks.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One tip, if you rent a bike to ride on the beach(highly recommended) be sure to ride into the wind on the way out so that you will be riding with the wind on your way back.

When we were there we did it the other way and the breeze was light but the ride back into the wind made it a lot harder than it was on the way out.
pjhalifax

Post by pjhalifax »

You might consider Fripp Island or Harbor Island near Beaufort if you're not set on HHI. Some nice rentals and they'd cover most of your list. Can be quieter out there than HHI.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Be careful about Sea Pines in early April - in a normal year you will be dealing with the PGA tournament and its setup. I personally would stay in Palmetto Dunes at that time of year - plenty of beachfront condos with heated pools, and oceanfront homes if your wallet is fat.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Turkishcoffee wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 am Should have stated, we are trying for late March early April. I would think the water is still pretty cold then but I need it to coincide with Spring Breaks.
Regardless of what you do know the cancellation and refund policy before paying or placing any deposit. Not trying to be a pessimist but I'm not so certain we will be back to "normal".

Sea Pines is where we stayed twice and there was Coral Sands Resort across the road from Aunt Chilada and near Coligny (shopping) that had a fabulous pool and lazy river but was not on the beach. I'm not an 'on the beach' kind of guy so I loved it.

There are a ton of AirBNB, VRBO, Marriot and Hilton properties too. If Easter week is spring break book soon for prime properties.
BeachLady

Post by BeachLady »

Check out VRBO, you will find many homes that will accommodate 8 people.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Headed there next week and staying in Palmetto Dunes. Renting 5 BR house with pool/hot tub and 5-minute walk to beach for about $3k. Palmetto Dunes has 3 golf courses (pricey) but there are many courses with 15 minutes of Hilton Head that are very nice and very affordable ($40-60).