Pickup truck - Soft Bed Topper

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
simple man

Pickup truck - Soft Bed Topper

Post by simple man »

I am looking at getting a soft bed topper for my pickup. This is a canvas on frame bed topper that sits as high as the cab top. When you want the full use of the pickup truck bed without a top, the canvas can be removed and the frame hinges down and sits right behind the cab. I would use it to carry my dogs to my farm and then take it off when i need to haul hay or other large objects. I have heard some bad things about hard toppers over the years - leaks, heavy, etc...Has anyone had experience (good or bad) with the soft toppers? They dont look any less sturdy than the canvas top on a Jeep Wrangler....Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Colorado Guy

Re: Pickup truck - Soft Bed Topper

Post by Colorado Guy »

Perhaps an alternative:

https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-co ... neau-cover

This provides a higher degree of security than a soft topper, folds up, and allows you to carry larger objects (or even dogs) without removal. Great for transporting golf clubs and other valuables via truck bed. I've had one for almost 10 years on my truck, no issues.
kirkus02

Post by kirkus02 »

My father-in-law and I both have roll-up tonneau covers. I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for.

I have a TonnoPro tonneau cover. It's been pretty good. I have run into 2 or 3 quality issues over the course of 8 years, but everytime I did, the company would replace it with a new one.

My father in law has a Truxedo. I like the quality feel of his. He's had his for a lot longer and it still looks and functions great. If I could do it over again, I'd probably buy a Truxedo.

Happy hunting!
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

A vote for Truxedo. I and a buddy both got them four years ago. He leaves his "down" all the time, I keep mine rolled up except when I need to cover the bed. Both look virtually identical, so no noticeable weathering of the material, and neither of us has had any issues with the cover. Oh, and I've never had any problems with leaks.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Colorado Guy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:23 pm Perhaps an alternative:

This provides a higher degree of security than a soft topper, folds up, and allows you to carry larger objects (or even dogs) without removal. Great for transporting golf clubs and other valuables via truck bed. I've had one for almost 10 years on my truck, no issues.
+1
Not sure if good for dogs but I’ve had the solid trifold panel Bakflip on my truck for 8 years. Very versatile and secure.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Colorado Guy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:23 pm Perhaps an alternative:

I think the intent is to provide a cover for the dogs, and life inside a tonneau cover of any kind doesn't look very pleasant to me.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:34 pm I think the intent is to provide a cover for the dogs, and life inside a tonneau cover of any kind doesn't look very pleasant to me.
Agreed, I think he's looking at something like this: https://www.softopper.com/softopper Basically the fabric equivalent of the standard fiberglass caps like you would get from a company like Lund.

I can't provide guidance on quality or ease of use, but it looks like a kind of cool product.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:34 pm
I think the intent is to provide a cover for the dogs, and life inside a tonneau cover of any kind doesn't look very pleasant to me.
I was thinking he would add a dog crates onto the bed, and need the cover rolled/folded up and out of the way. I agree that having dogs under the cover would not be a pet friendly option.
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Not sure what kind of truck you have, but if it's a Tacoma there is a ton of information on the site below regarding this topic, if you search around...

www.tacomaworld.com
Topic Author
simple man

Post by simple man »

Thanks all! Yes, I need something that is as tall as the cab - something like what was noted above https://www.softopper.com/softopper. Not just a cover for the bed. It needs to be tall for my dogs to travel in. Please let me know if yo u have heard anything - good or bad and any brand you would recommend. Thanks!