Recommendations for wheat beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fyre4ce

Recommendations for wheat beer

Post by fyre4ce »

Looking for suggestions for a good wheat beer / hefeweizen in southern California. There are a ton of breweries around here but IPAs are the craze these days and I definitely am not riding the IPA train. Too bitter for my taste. Hefeweizens are surprisingly rare - I like Blue Moon but that's usually the only one available in grocery stores. Rich and smooth would be good, but I'm not too picky on exact flavor (fruity, clove, etc.) Thanks in advance!
DSInvestor

Re: Recommendations for wheat beer

Post by DSInvestor »

SCHÖFFERHOFER HEFEWEIZEN is nice on a hot day. Bevmo sells it.
https://www.schofferhofer.us
Wiki
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

If you want to get a little more sophisticated, speak to Monkish in Torrance https://www.monkishbrewing.com/

Super nice and high quality belgian-style beers (often not hoppy although some styles can be more bitter). Tasting room looks like it currently closed but they have some distribution in SoCal. They also do curbside pickup currently. Call them and ask what suits your tastes :-)
doob

Post by doob »

fyre4ce wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 pm Looking for suggestions for a good wheat beer / hefeweizen in southern California. There are a ton of breweries around here but IPAs are the craze these days and I definitely am not riding the IPA train. Too bitter for my taste. Hefeweizens are surprisingly rare - I like Blue Moon but that's usually the only one available in grocery stores. Rich and smooth would be good, but I'm not too picky on exact flavor (fruity, clove, etc.) Thanks in advance!
Yay! Hefeweizen's the way to go. I have lost count of the number of friends whom I introduced to Hefeweizen beer (who did not know what they were) and now they will not drink anything else. :mrgreen:

My favorites are Weihenstephaner and Andechser Hefeweizens. My wife, though, swears by Paulaner, which is good too. :sharebeer
https://www.weihenstephaner.com
http://andechs.de/en/brewery/our-beer-specialities/
https://www.paulaner.com

PS: Remember to not leave the unfiltered yeast (the Hefe that settles at the bottom) in the bottle when you pour the beer; they are the key difference what make Hefeweizens what they are (of course the wheat helps too) :happy
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Bell’s Oberon is a great summer wheat beer from Michigan. I can get it easily in Pennsylvania but not sure about California. It’s a summer seasonal so hurry! :sharebeer
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If it's German and fresh, it belongs in my belly. With the German purity law, freshness is IMO the main factor in hefeweizen quality.

You probably need to find a better/larger beer joint. Hefeweizens are not hard to find at all.

Prost!
RichmondDad

Post by RichmondDad »

Hoegaarden will not disappoint, and generally isn’t too difficult to find.
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

I like Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse. Should be easy to find.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Widmer Hefe is decent and readily available in CA.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:34 pm If it's German and fresh, it belongs in my belly. With the German purity law, freshness is IMO the main factor in hefeweizen quality.

You probably need to find a better/larger beer joint. Hefeweizens are not hard to find at all.

Prost!
Just be aware that German hefe and American hefe are different styles. Both tasty, but different.
SevenBridgesRoad

hicabob wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:46 pm Widmer Hefe is decent and readily available in CA.
+1
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

IceNine wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:34 pm I like Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse. Should be easy to find.
+1

One of my favorites. I don't drink it too often as I'm afraid that I might tire of it. That has been a successful strategy for a few decades now! :beer
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:53 pm
hicabob wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:46 pm Widmer Hefe is decent and readily available in CA.
+1
+2 Broke my heart when they stopped selling it at Costco here in Oregon.
SevenBridgesRoad

jeff1949 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:42 pm
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:53 pm
+1
+2 Broke my heart when they stopped selling it at Costco here in Oregon.
Right?! Is there a God?
Topic Author
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

whodidntante wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:34 pm If it's German and fresh, it belongs in my belly. With the German purity law, freshness is IMO the main factor in hefeweizen quality.

Prost!
True and thanks. There are BevMo's around where I live, but I usually get led into the liquor section before I make it to the beers. Right now they are online ordering and pickup only. I'll check them out.
rennale

Post by rennale »

Don't forget to try some excellent Allagash White - https://www.allagash.com - from Portland, ME. Apparently available in Southern Cal.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

A great California hefe that is available here in NC (so I've tried it) is Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.

My other favorites are from regional brewers near here, so I doubt they distribute out where you are. But if anyone else is in North Carolina, Shotgun Betty, from Lonerider Brewing in Raleigh, is a good one, too.
jjbychko

Post by jjbychko »

I love a good hefe and often pick a place to eat based on the hefe. My favorites are Franziskaner, Live Oak and Weihenstephan. Also like similar tasting witbier. Hoegaarden was craft before craft became popular. I like mine cloudy unfiltered.
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

Back when I used to drink I was a big fan of Erdinger weissbier. I don't know if you can get Blanche de Chambly in the US, but it was probably my favourite white.

If you like fruitier white beers, Mort Subite is a treat. It's no more sweet than a typical white beer, and more carbonated, so it's almost like a less sweet beer version of a Kir Royale.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

This isn't a style that I have often, but Sierra Nevada Kellerweis is a solid Hefeweizen. For wheat beers, I like Allagash White or Dogfish Head Namaste.
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Allagash White is a solid choice if you can find it, but that brewery is in Portland, ME. For wheat beers in your area, I would peruse the beeradvocate forums to see what the locals are saying.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Chrono Triggered wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:51 am Allagash White is a solid choice if you can find it, but that brewery is in Portland, ME. For wheat beers in your area, I would peruse the beeradvocate forums to see what the locals are saying.
+1 Allagash White but it is a little pricey -- $10 for a 4 pack. I also like UFO White, Einstock White Ale, and Weihenstephaner. I had an older, immigrant coworker, who used to make fun of me for drinking beer "with fruit" aka an orange slice. Then I got him to try it and whenever we were in a drinking setting he would always order a wheat beer "with fruit" from the bartender.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie »

fyre4ce wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 pm Looking for suggestions for a good wheat beer / hefeweizen in southern California. There are a ton of breweries around here but IPAs are the craze these days and I definitely am not riding the IPA train. Too bitter for my taste. Hefeweizens are surprisingly rare - I like Blue Moon but that's usually the only one available in grocery stores. Rich and smooth would be good, but I'm not too picky on exact flavor (fruity, clove, etc.) Thanks in advance!
Daytime - Weihenstephaner or Franziskaner

Evening - Erdinger dunkelweiße

Like the other poster mentioned Bevmo is king.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

I'm way too into beer, and if you're just a casual drinker you might not have noticed

The current IPA trend is very different than the IPA trend from 10 years ago. Anything with the terms New England, Hazy, Juicy, or Milkshake is just a profoundly different drink than classic West Coast style IPAs like Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head 60min, Pliny the Elder, or Green Flash's West Coast. The newer stuff has the thick mouthfeel of a wheat beer and often lacks much of the bitterness associated with the term IPA. Of course being in California I doubt anyone is shouting from the rooftops about their New England IPA, but I guess this means you'll just have to try everything.
Topic Author
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Thanks all! This has given me a lot to try.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

I was at Mt. Rushmore one evening a few years ago and after a long and very hot day went to a local pub.

They had Boulevard unfiltered wheat beer, from the Kansas City Brewer. At the time I felt it was the most amazing thing I had ever tasted, although it was hot and I had been on the road most of the day.

I pick it up periodically and still think its pretty darn good, although not sure if available in California.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
batpot

Post by batpot »

German Hefeweizen is the best, original, wheat beer.

Ayinger, Paulaner, Weihenstephaner, or Franziskaner, to name a few, should be readily available at any local bottle store, or chains like BevMo or Total Wine.

A personal favorite is the Ayinger Ur-Weisse, which is a dunkel-weiss.
batpot

Post by batpot »

WS1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:35 am I'm way too into beer, and if you're just a casual drinker you might not have noticed

The current IPA trend is very different than the IPA trend from 10 years ago. Anything with the terms New England, Hazy, Juicy, or Milkshake is just a profoundly different drink than classic West Coast style IPAs like Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head 60min, Pliny the Elder, or Green Flash's West Coast. The newer stuff has the thick mouthfeel of a wheat beer and often lacks much of the bitterness associated with the term IPA. Of course being in California I doubt anyone is shouting from the rooftops about their New England IPA, but I guess this means you'll just have to try everything.
Also boutique hops in the same time frame have exploded on the market...Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, to name a few are way less bitter and more fruity, and piney.

I was never a fan of the old school bitter IPAs, but can't get enough of the new crops of hops.
I used to drink virtually nothing but Belgian and German beers, but that has changed in recent years...where now I drink almost nothing but Pac NW beer.
I need to get reacquainted with my old friends.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

batpot wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:28 pm
WS1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:35 am I'm way too into beer, and if you're just a casual drinker you might not have noticed

Also boutique hops in the same time frame have exploded on the market...Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo, to name a few are way less bitter and more fruity, and piney.

I was never a fan of the old school bitter IPAs, but can't get enough of the new crops of hops.
I used to drink virtually nothing but Belgian and German beers, but that has changed in recent years...where now I drink almost nothing but Pac NW beer.
I need to get reacquainted with my old friends.
Understatement of the the year
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

fyre4ce wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 pm Looking for suggestions for a good wheat beer / hefeweizen in southern California.
I believe Allagash White is available in your area. http://www.allagash.com/beer-delivery/

We live in Maine and went on a tasting tour of their brewery. Had some excellent beers - all good. The Black, Saison and House were all great. The Curieux was interesting. Their brewers are allowed to create some one-off experimental barrels. One had Sriracha in it!

But I keep going back to the White. It's easy to find here, or course.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

Erdinger...none better.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Based on my visits to California, you shouldn't have trouble finding a good beer store, or at least a convenience store in your area with an owner who decided to try branching out from the usual limited selection. If in doubt, at least stop by BevMo to find some varieties to try.

Widmer Brothers is my go-to Heffeweizen, although I tend to drink other styles most of the time. It's also a great beer to recommend to anyone just starting to explore the bigger world of beer beyond the mass-market stuff. I definitely prefer it to Blue Moon.

I think they stopped distributing it in the lower 48, but Kona Wailua Wheat is by the same company, in a slightly different style - I'd describe it as more crisp.

Most US-made Belgian style beers are wheat beers, usually flavored with coriander and orange. Hoegaarden White is an actual Belgian wheat beer that shouldn't be too hard to find. Consider it the Belgian style analog to Guinness - a hundreds of years old brand bought up by a giant corporation that now offers it all over the world. I haven't had one in a while, but recall it being decent.

Keep in mind there's a lot more out there than IPA's to try. Amber's are the style I drink most, and a very easy next step from wheat beers. The medium roast of the malts in an amber tends to give them a slightly sweet, bread-like flavor (it's a similar chemical reaction as bread browning, after all), a little stronger than pales, but not as strong as a porter. Amber, copper, or red ales can all be treated as one category.

Be aware that some ambers are given extra hops, too. If they specify IBU's, since you don't like IPA's, you probably won't want to go much above 30 unless you're feeling adventurous.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

It's not a traditional hefeweizen — Lagunitas doesn't do much that's traditional — but their Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is made with 50% wheat malt, even if Beer Advocate refers to it as an American IPA. Might be one to include in your explorations…
lernd

Post by lernd »

Might be hard to find on the west coast, but I'll put a plug in for one of my favorite beers - ALLEGASH WHITE. Based in Maine, Allegash is one of my favorite breweries.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

lernd wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:43 pm Might be hard to find on the west coast, but I'll put a plug in for one of my favorite beers - ALLEGASH WHITE. Based in Maine, Allegash is one of my favorite breweries.
I just had one a few hours ago with my scallops. Very refreshing.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
HalfMillionaire

Post by HalfMillionaire »

The king of wheat beer for me is Boulevard: https://www.boulevard.com/beerinfo/unfi ... heat-beer/

Many years ago, I was in Tulsa,OK - and had this beer. Since there I have been looking for it in my current midwest location. I found it here in Whole Foods. Its wonderful.

My other great beer search involves an airport - the Baltimore airport to be precise. There was an airport bar of some kind - and I had some kind of spiced Belgian white. Don't remember anything else - but I would love to get my hands on that again. I remember it as the best beer I ever had.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

The current IPA trend is very different than the IPA trend from 10 years ago. Anything with the terms New England, Hazy, Juicy, or Milkshake is just a profoundly different drink than classic West Coast style IPAs like Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head 60min, Pliny the Elder, or Green Flash's West Coast. The newer stuff has the thick mouthfeel of a wheat beer and often lacks much of the bitterness associated with the term IPA.
So true.

Back when I was brewing, "hazy" was considered a flaw. I still like the stuff that makes your teeth hurt.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I love beer. And I enjoy many, many different styles...foreign and domestic.

But when it comes to wheat beer, it should be kept simple.

None better then Franziskaner and Wiehenstephaner. Also, the latter claims to be brewing continuously since 1040...that's almost 1000 years. They've got it down.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

I'm currently enjoying a can of Melon Cart by Golden Road Brewing (L.A.). It's a watermelon wheat ale with a hint of honeydew and cantaloupe. There's a ton of breweries in California -- I think you just need to find a good craft beer store.

They also have a pineapple wheat ale, a mango wheat ale and a hefeweizen among others.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
kbjeffrey

Post by kbjeffrey »

I'm a fan of Off Color Brewing, a great brewery if you're not so interested in hoppy beers. Off Color is quite a nice wheat beer. If you're ever in Chicago, you can get it on tap at their restaurant too.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

i know you asked for brands, but i thought i would mention one approach worth considering (if you have not done so already) - and that is home brew.

like this (not a recommendation of these vendors; just examples):

https://www.homebrewing.org/How-to-Make ... _36-1.html

https://www.northernbrewer.com/collecti ... -beer-kits

buy a beer recipe kit, some equipment and bottles and off you go. as far as brewing, many beer supply stores offer inexpensive or free classes - though youtube had all I needed.

i started off knowing nothing, and after a couple of weeks was brewing my take on a german oktoberfest. all in all, i was surprised how relatively easy it was.

Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

++1 on homebrewing.

I homebrewed for about 10 years. We were fortunate to have a homebrew supply store in my city along with a homebrewing club. Between Charlie Papazian's book and the various monthly homebrew club activities (including how to brew demonstrations, distinguishing differences among the styles of beer, learning about different brewing equipment, techniques, and ingredients, how to taste and judge a beer, etc.), I learned how to make excellent beer. I entered my beers into local and regional homebrew competitions and won blue ribbons, gold medals, and more.

A great place to learn about the various beer styles is www.bjcp.org (Beer Judge Certification Program). To connect with others, check out www.homebrewersassociation.org -- There is a huge homebrewing community out there -- and they tend to be wonderfully friendly and helpful folks!

Cheers!
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Lots of great recs here, though I'm surprised no one mentioned Schneiderweiss. I particularly like their dark wheat, Aventinus.
tomphilly

Post by tomphilly »

Is a wheat beer better in the afternoon, or is the afternoon better with a wheat beer? As an avid beer drinker I oft ponder this conundrum.

I love an Alligash white every once in a while. Weihenstephaner hefe weissbier used to be my go to beer for years, it was common to find it on tap in NYC bars.

:beer