Summer internship in LA - live without a car, possible?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dundee

Summer internship in LA - live without a car, possible?

Post by dundee »

Friends,

My son has an internship offer in LA for summer 2021, near Manhattan beach area (2-3 miles inland from the beach). Is it possible for a young person to live near that area without owning a car? He goes to college in the Northeast and has never been to LA. Walking / riding a bike are definitely feasible options. Of course, he also wants to explore the area while he is there, is there decent public transportation available that he can take to get around LA on the weekends?

I realize it is too soon to ask a question like this, but, the car need in LA relates to some other decision we need to make soon. If he can live without a car, it will make the immediate decision easier.

Thank you for your kind feedback!
Bobby206

Re: Summer internship in LA - live without a car, possible?

Post by Bobby206 »

It could be done but he'd probably be happier with a car depending on where he will be living and if parking is relatively easy where he will be living. Public transportation is horrible but Uber, bike, etc... can work fine. A lot depends on where exactly the job and the home will be. 2-3 miles from Manhattan Beach might be marginal if 2-3 miles due east.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

If he can find housing within walking distance of work, no car needed. Although no car sounds like a restriction, it is a great idea for temp jobs in big cities.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

dundee wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:21 pm Friends,

My son has an internship offer in LA for summer 2021, near Manhattan beach area (2-3 miles inland from the beach). Is it possible for a young person to live near that area without owning a car? He goes to college in the Northeast and has never been to LA. Walking / riding a bike are definitely feasible options. Of course, he also wants to explore the area while he is there, is there decent public transportation available that he can take to get around LA on the weekends?

I realize it is too soon to ask a question like this, but, the car need in LA relates to some other decision we need to make soon. If he can live without a car, it will make the immediate decision easier.

Of course. A bike will be super useful. Public transportation isn't terrible in LA anymore. Only concern would be riding trains/buses during the pandemic, but with proper precautions should be reasonable to do.
senex

Post by senex »

Besides year-round biking weather, I've heard the scooter situation (Lime, Bird, Uber scooter, Lyft scooter) is excellent near Manhattan beach.

If you haven't seen them, there are scooters sitting all over the sidewalks waiting to be ridden. You unlock with your phone and ride anywhere you want and just drop the scooter on the curb once there. Strange but true. Mostly used by young people. Worth looking into.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Uber/Lyft to destination or to Enterprise rental car pick up location if he needs a car on the weekend. Close to LAX but off airport is probably lower cost.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

criticalmass wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:39 pm
Of course. A bike will be super useful. Public transportation isn't terrible in LA anymore. Only concern would be riding trains/buses during the pandemic, but with proper precautions should be reasonable to do.
Buses in LA were fine to get around even when I lived there in the 1980's, and right it's better now esp. with addition of rail. In a lot of places with 'terrible public transport' some of it is actually people who don't want to take the bus even if it's reasonably convenient, it's not as convenient. 'Public transport here stinks' can partly mean 'I'd rather drive (but not have to defend the resource decision that represents)'. Where I live (NJ right across from Manhattan) public is basically the only sensible choice to go into the City but as far as getting around on this side of the river I *could* do that by light rail and bus, but by and large I drive (beyond walking radius which is relatively long for me), because it's also practical and I prefer it.

Obviously also depends how close you are. 2-3 miles inland from the beach at latitude of Manhattan Beach is still in the denser part of the LA bus map at the workplace end. Depending where the apartment is it could be a fairly long walk at that end, or not. If aiming to take the bus, the person would factor that into choice of apartment.

But also yeah, how much will pandemic concerns have receded by summer 2021? Nobody knows. The used car market is super hot now from people shifting away from public transport where possible.
djscal

Post by djscal »

I live in this area and I take public transit at times (although not now during covid). Normally public transit access is pretty decent (and very affordable) in the South Bay area. With a bike or electric scooter for "the last mile" it's really quite doable. All of the main roads have buses that run frequently and fairly reliably. You will want to check the public transit maps to see if he can take 1 bus or light rail line from home to work. Having to take more than one bus or rail line every day is not really practical or doable within a reasonable amount of time.

Also with covid most public transit is running on a Saturday schedule - meaning most bus lines are running only once an hour and the rail is also running less frequently as well.

So w/out covid - it's doable. With covid - it's really pretty questionable. I'm leaning towards the fact that he will probably need a car - at least right now.

Uber and lyft are other good options - we have a seemingly unlimited supply of drivers in the area - the waits are never very long - but I'm not sure if you would want him riding in a car that people are coming and going through all day.

I'm happy to talk to you about this in more detail if you like - since I live in the area and I'm familiar with public transit options. Send me a PM and we can arrange to talk.
Last edited by djscal on Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I am not familiar with that area but also be sure to also look into the parking situation. That can be difficult to find and expensive in some areas urban areas.

I am not sure what the current rules are but some car rental companies used to have restrictions, or charge higher prices, for renters that were under 25 years old. It varies but sometimes you can get weekend car rentals very inexpensively if that is not an issue.

If he can find good weekend rentals that could take care of a lot of his needs if he can walk or bike to work.

It is possible that the company that he is interning with may have a corporate rental agreement with a rental car company that allows their employees to rent cars when they are younger than 25 or at a lower corporate rate.

Be cautious about recommending that he use the scooters. Some cities have banned or restricted them because too many people were being killed while using them.
EverydayWallSt

Post by EverydayWallSt »

Yes, when I used to go to my old office in LA, with Uber and Lyft, not having a car at that age had become the new normal. They used to all have cars 10 years ago. Now they rideshare to work and ride scooters on weekends. Other than Covid.
djscal

Post by djscal »

senex wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:50 pm Besides year-round biking weather, I've heard the scooter situation (Lime, Bird, Uber scooter, Lyft scooter) is excellent near Manhattan beach.

If you haven't seen them, there are scooters sitting all over the sidewalks waiting to be ridden. You unlock with your phone and ride anywhere you want and just drop the scooter on the curb once there. Strange but true. Mostly used by young people. Worth looking into.
Incorrect. The south bay has temporarily banned these scooters because they were deployed w/out the scooter companies applying for business licenses.
We don't know if and when they will be allowed to come back.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

My son moved out to California in November without a car. He stayed at an AirBnb in Manhattan Beach for a couple of months while he looked for a more affordable place to live. He made sure that the AirBnb was within walking distance of food stores and a mall. But he is a freelancer, so he doesn't need to commute anywhere.
Then he moved to Long Beach, and he does fine without a car there too.
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

Yes - very easy to survive without a car for the summer based in the Manhattan Beach area. Escooters are VERY popular with the younger demographic and can handle anything up to a few miles in that area. (a lot of folks end up buying one instead of renting)

The whole "South Bay" area of LA has everything a young kid could want, so unlikely they'll want to go further than ~3 miles from that area during the week. And plenty of rental car options for longer weekend trips, although they'll probably find most of their friends have a car already so even less likely they'll need a car. Suggest they look at paying a little more for rent to get a place closer to supermarkets/work/nightlife (which is closer to the beach) which also reduces the need for a car.

As others have mentioned, street parking in LA is terrible (especially Manhattan Beach and West LA) so not having a car will make it easier when it comes time to finding a place to live.

Chances are they'll rent a car for the first week in LA (Sixt car rental is often a good deal off-airport) to get around while looking for places to live etc. and then switch to "scooter-life" after that.
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Going carless should be doable. If your son wants to explore the surrounding areas (like San Diego , Santa Barbara, etc) he should look into renting a car.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Nobody walks in LA. :D
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Dougiefresh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:27 pm Going carless should be doable. If your son wants to explore the surrounding areas (like San Diego , Santa Barbara, etc) he should look into renting a car.
The train will be faster than dealing with LA traffic.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If he lives within biking or transit distance of work, it’s totally doable. Transit in LA is actually pretty good. A friend of mine did it for two years. She took transit to work during the week, then got a deal with the local Enterprise where she rented a car every Friday after work and returned it every Monday morning for like $20, but renting a car on the weekends wasn’t strictly necessary to get around, especially if he has a bike.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
dundee

Post by dundee »

Thank you everybody for your many feedbacks. For this early on, based on the feedback, I am thinking that he doesn't need a car. On the weekends, he can rent or find rides with friends :D

Thank you again!
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

No car needed as long as he can find a place within walking/biking distance to work.
LA Is much more tolerable/fun without having to worry about traffic and parking.
Plenty to do in the beach cities, all reachable by bike. Can Uber back from Target if he has a big purchase
There is a bus strait to LAX, and he can connect to other transit to get to LA cultural institutions let the Getty, LACMA, Etc.
HermosaSurfer

Post by HermosaSurfer »

Day to day should be okay without a car (assuming he's working in Manhattan Beach), but public transit isn't that great. It will be a bus, a train, a bus for most trips outside of South Bay and they are not typically frequent or reliably on time. Uber is cool, but that's at risk due to recent legislation. Proximity to a grocery store would be important. Smaller frequent stops is the strategy when you don't have a trunk and there are only a few grocery stores. Recreational walking is great and a boogie board/wet suit would be a good investment.

Keep in mind that LA and the South Bay are really car-oriented. Most Manhattan Beach residents own a vehicle.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

https://moovitapp.com/ is good to view bus routes

When at a bus stop, Google Maps will show you when the bus is going to arrive

Google "car sharing" there are several apps

Uber/lyft show up in minutes

The eScooter apps are doing monthly rentals. Carry them on bus/train. https://unagiscooters.com/