Thoughts on Tennessee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chuck107

Re: Thoughts on Tennessee

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Restless wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:30 am
TnGuy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:24 pm OP - if you are considering community living situations, here's one:
... I did notice that TN shares a border with 8 other states; I think it may be unique in that regard.
For the record, Missouri also shares a border with 8 states, one of which is TN. :)
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Chuck107 - No, you dare not use your horn here for fear of whatever other action might take place in response :wink:
Tom D.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Youngblood wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:38 pm Downtown Chattanooga is also enjoyable for all of the close tourist type attractions mentioned unthread.
They have a world-class aquarium that is worth seeing if you're ever in town.
Some very nice watering holes and restaurants with great atmosphere (not a foodie or more than an occasional beer drinker).
Love me some Sticky Fingers barbecue! (The one downtown, not the one at Hamilton Mall.)
[/quote]
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

An off-topic post has been removed. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

jbourne99 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 pm
Chuck107 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:02 pm
jbourne99 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:50 pm
Chuck107 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:44 pm Davidson county (Nashville) has Vanderbilt Hospital system, top notch.
... if you're ok with the system covering up medical errors as a cause of death. I'll leave that for you to decide. https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/ ... 155152002/
I have decided, thanks for your concern.
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/hea ... 980136002/
That old news (2018). I wonder if the more recent scandal with them is one of the big reasons they dropped and are no longer in the top 20? Here's the new top 20 list. https://health.usnews.com/health-care/b ... d-overview
So what is YOUR Medical center recommendation to the OP ?
Do you have one, Please provide your Tennessee knowledge and experience.
Do you live in Tn?
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:55 pm
Youngblood wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:38 pm Downtown Chattanooga is also enjoyable for all of the close tourist type attractions mentioned unthread.
They have a world-class aquarium that is worth seeing if you're ever in town.
Some very nice watering holes and restaurants with great atmosphere (not a foodie or more than an occasional beer drinker).
Love me some Sticky Fingers barbecue! (The one downtown, not the one at Hamilton Mall.)
[/quote]

+1 on downtown Sticky Fingers!
Topic Author
Restless

Post by Restless »

Chuck107 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:13 pm Coming from NJ, just a little advise, don't be using you car horn, especially not like NY/NJ.
It's considered very rude here. (along with sign language)
Thanks for the advice on car horns. I use it only when necessary, mostly to alert distracted drivers when they are veering into my lane, or not seeing me when they’re changing lanes, or to wake them from their stupor after the light has turned green for five seconds. I hope there are less distracted drivers in TN. I’ll definitely think twice before using it as I try to fit in culturally.
sycamore wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:40 pm For the record, Missouri also shares a border with 8 states, one of which is TN.
I see TN has to share the honor of having eight neighboring states with MO. I may have to come up with something else that is unique to TN.
oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:55 pm Love me some Sticky Fingers barbecue! (The one downtown, not the one at Hamilton Mall.)
I’ve put Sticky Fingers (downtown) on my list of places to visit while in Chattanooga. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Restless wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 pm
Chuck107 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:13 pm Coming from NJ, just a little advise, don't be using you car horn, especially not like NY/NJ.
Thanks for the advice on car horns. I use it only when necessary, mostly to alert distracted drivers when they are veering into my lane, or not seeing me when they’re changing lanes, or to wake them from their stupor after the light has turned green for five seconds. I hope there are less distracted drivers in TN. I’ll definitely think twice before using it as I try to fit in culturally.
There are plenty of distracted drivers in Tennessee, and a high proportion of them drive around with no insurance.

Please use your horn when you need it. I use mine liberally and don't give a damn who it offends. It seems like people here would rather have their entire family die a grisly traumatic death than offend a random stranger who is unintentionally swerving into them at 80 mph.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

climber2020 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:41 am
Restless wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 pm
There are plenty of distracted drivers in Tennessee, and a high proportion of them drive around with no insurance.

Please use your horn when you need it. I use mine liberally and don't give a damn who it offends. It seems like people here would rather have their entire family die a grisly traumatic death than offend a random stranger who is unintentionally swerving into them at 80 mph.
It illustrates how the 'culture' stuff is really a mix of general things and personal things. I've lived in NJ for decades (from Queens, NY originally) and I use the car horn for warning another driver when I believe it's necessary to avoid collision, not to express my feelings. That means I generally seldom use it, though there are plenty of terrible drivers in my part of NJ right near my hometown NY. I tend to anticipate and avoid without having to honk. The reason I think there would be cultural challenges for me fitting in in TN (my brother lived in Nashville for years, I visited a number of times) has nothing to do with road etiquette or people having trouble understanding the TV/movie style 'NY accent' I don't have or that I talk really fast, which I also don't, etc. I won't get into what kind of things specifically, though be assured they are not put downs of Tennesseeans, just differences. I've liked visiting there just fine, but it would be a challenge for me to live there.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:52 am (And while Jack Daniel's is overrated, George Dickel is underrated, so everything sort of evens out.)
You, sir or madam, know your whiskey.
Topic Author
Restless

Post by Restless »

JackoC wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:18 am It illustrates how the 'culture' stuff is really a mix of general things and personal things. I've lived in NJ for decades (from Queens, NY originally) and I use the car horn for warning another driver when I believe it's necessary to avoid collision, not to express my feelings. That means I generally seldom use it, though there are plenty of terrible drivers in my part of NJ right near my hometown NY. I tend to anticipate and avoid without having to honk. The reason I think there would be cultural challenges for me fitting in in TN (my brother lived in Nashville for years, I visited a number of times) has nothing to do with road etiquette or people having trouble understanding the TV/movie style 'NY accent' I don't have or that I talk really fast, which I also don't, etc. I won't get into what kind of things specifically, though be assured they are not put downs of Tennesseeans, just differences. I've liked visiting there just fine, but it would be a challenge for me to live there.
We fully expect there will be cultural adjustments moving from the greater NYC area to TN. I lived in Oklahoma (Stillwater) in the 60s, from age 3 to 11, before my family moved to Queens. That was culture shock to the extreme as NYC felt like a different country and my world became unrecognizable. I did make the adjustment (had to), but there certainly were unpleasant moments; it's not something I want to go through again. We will be observing very closely when we visit.
rhanna

Post by rhanna »

Except for 4 years in Kansas and 1 year in Kentucky, I've lived my entire life in TN. A couple of things first,
1) Deliverance was set in North Georgia
2) The hall tax is just divides and interest, not capital gains
https://revenue.support.tn.gov/hc/en-us ... come%20tax.

You could almost classify TN into 3 different states, here is an article from Pat Summitt about the differences in the 3 regions of TN.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2003/11/03/t ... ct-regions

Memphis is a decent city to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

I currently live outside of Nashville which I'm very fond of because of friends and family.

I spent about 7 years in Chattanooga and I loved living there. If you are into the great outdoors I would highly recommend this area. You would also be about the same distance from Nashville and Atlanta. I was going to mention Signal Mountain and I think part of Lookout mountain is in TN. There is a place on Lookout mountain where you can view 7 different states.
hudson

Post by hudson »

rhanna wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:51 am Except for 4 years in Kansas and 1 year in Kentucky, I've lived my entire life in TN. A couple of things first,
North Georgia, Western NC, and Eastern TN...same location...all with nice mountains.
When Burt Reynolds broke his leg (Wikipedia says that he broke his tailbone.) while filming Deliverance, the nearest hospital was in Sylva, NC. They kept filming the movie during his injury and in the hospital.
mkc

Post by mkc »

rhanna wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:51 am
2) The hall tax is just divides and interest, not capital gains
https://revenue.support.tn.gov/hc/en-us ... come%20tax.
It's essentially moot point since the Hall Tax goes away after this year, BUT while capital gains themselves are not taxed, capital gains distributions from mutual funds are taxed.

https://revenue.support.tn.gov/hc/en-us ... -interest-
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

hudson wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:47 am
rhanna wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:51 am Except for 4 years in Kansas and 1 year in Kentucky, I've lived my entire life in TN. A couple of things first,
North Georgia, Western NC, and Eastern TN...same location...all with nice mountains.
When Burt Reynolds broke his leg (Wikipedia says that he broke his tailbone.) while filming Deliverance, the nearest hospital was in Sylva, NC. They kept filming the movie during his injury and in the hospital.
I just had my girlfriend watch Deliverance. We'll be moving to that general area soon and I can't make jokes referencing the movie without her seeing it first!
Toons

Post by Toons »

We retired to Northeast Tn.
Family is in Virginia ,On the coast.
Jonesborough specifically.
I did a lot of research
demographics,healthcare facilites,cost of living ,climate etc.
Could not be more pleased with the quality of life and location in the country.
We travel in a Roadtrek all over the country,
When we approach the state line on the way home,
I always find myself smiling when I see the
Blue and White
"Welcome To Tennessee" sign.
As of now I plan on having my ashes scattered on the hill behind my house,,,, :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee