Which 3 row luxury SUV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A-Commoner

Which 3 row luxury SUV?

Post by A-Commoner »

Assuming a budget of 70-100k for a brand new, latest model 3 row luxury SUV, prioritizing luxury over sportiness (although a combo would be great), I appreciate your thoughts on the following (in no particular order):

1. Audi Q7
2. Escalade 2021
3. Genesis GV 80
4. MB GLS 2020
4. Lincoln Navigator
5. Lexus LX
6. BMW X7
7. Cayenne

Search process barely started but from what I’ve seen on reviews, that Escalade looks pretty sharp. The GV80 is also very attractive.
Topic Author
A-Commoner

Re: Which 3 row luxury SUV?

Post by A-Commoner »

Sorry, should not have included the Cayenne which is only 2 row. My bad.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

A-Commoner wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:19 pm Assuming a budget of 70-100k for a brand new, latest model 3 row luxury SUV, prioritizing luxury over sportiness (although a combo would be great), I appreciate your thoughts on the following (in no particular order):

1. Audi Q7
2. Escalade 2021
3. Genesis GV 80
4. MB GLS 2020
4. Lincoln Navigator
5. Lexus LX
6. BMW X7
7. Cayenne

Search process barely started but from what I’ve seen on reviews, that Escalade looks pretty sharp. The GV80 is also very attractive.
Do you need a full sized 3rd row or a for occational use 3rd row?
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

edit poat
Last edited by Keenobserver on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

q7 x7 and navigator. If you want pure luxury then navigator..more sporty x7 Something with a bit of both q7
Topic Author
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:28 pm
A-Commoner wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:19 pm Assuming a budget of 70-100k for a brand new, latest model 3 row luxury SUV, prioritizing luxury over sportiness (although a combo would be great), I appreciate your thoughts on the following (in no particular order):

1. Audi Q7
2. Escalade 2021
3. Genesis GV 80
4. MB GLS 2020
4. Lincoln Navigator
5. Lexus LX
6. BMW X7
7. Cayenne

Full sized but an occasional 3rd row with decent room for average sized adults (no taller than 6) can sit in for maybe an hour would be okay.
Topic Author
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

Keenobserver wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:31 pm edit poat
It’s in the OP: 70-100k.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

A-Commoner wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:33 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:28 pm

1. Audi Q7
2. Escalade 2021
3. Genesis GV 80
4. MB GLS 2020
4. Lincoln Navigator
5. Lexus LX
6. BMW X7
7. Cayenne

Full sized but an occasional 3rd row with decent room for average sized adults (no taller than 6) can sit in for maybe an hour would be okay.
I am partial to Lexus, smooth ride, very comfortable, and relatively low maintenance costs. I have not tried the RXL (smaller 3rd row) but you could test drive it with the LX to compare.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

Not really familiar with Escalade, Genesis or Navigator (would never consider those brands for various reasons).

Of the others listed, only the X7 is a recent model. Q7 is looking long in the tooth, as is the LX, which also has old technology. But, it's built like a tank and great for highway driving.

We don't need a third row, and didn't want something giant, so we ordered a 2021 MB GLE 450. 2020 was the first year of a vastly improved new version and it has great technology and plenty of luxury. Third row is an option, but perhaps not comfortable for adults.
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

We've got a 18 Navigator L Reserve with the second row bucket seats and all of the options except the dvd system and love it. I would strongly advice you to consider the L version over the standard. It's not a couple of thousand more, but adds a huge amount of storage space.

The 30-way seats were the main reason we purchased the Lincoln. My wife has a connective tissue disorder, and what feels comfortable now can change five minutes later. For her riding in the card went from something dreaded to something to look forward to.

We preferred to purchase new, but purchased a lease return that was a year old and saved around $20,000 off sticker. (Our friends own a Ford dealership and can't get new Lincolns, but were able to dealer trade for a preowned.)

We have put 32,000 miles on it in the past 16 months and have had no major issues. Average around 19.5 mpg around town and on highway trips, we can average around 23 mpg. Had a couple of minor issues (that Ford had issued TSBs on) come up, but they were quickly fixed . Since Lincoln provides drop off and pickup along with a rental while it is in the shop, it wasn't an issue. Ford dealers will honor this as well, which makes it nice when the Lincoln dealer is across town, but the Ford is just around the corner.

The drive is quiet and comfortable. The build quality is night and day difference from previous generation Lincolns and especially Fords. We routinely take 3-4 hour trips and when we arrive at our destination, you don't feel like you've driven but 30 or 40 minutes.

Six adults and all of their luggage for a three day hunting trip fit, but it was a bit snug. Otherwise there is more than enough room for adults, kids, dogs, and all of the required accessories.

The one extended warranty we did purchase was Ford's windshield plan. It was around $250 for 7 years of unlimited chip/crack repair and replacement. The HUD makes replacement windshields ~$1100. We've already made back most of the cost in chip repairs.

Looking back, if I had to make the same purchase again, I would without hesitation.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

A-Commoner wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:34 pmIt’s in the OP: 70-100k.
Why the cap? What does that eliminate? What choices are there for 3 row SUV over 100k? Seems like for the most part it's the same vehicles overloaded with features and engine upgrades (M).

https://www.truecar.com/best-cars-truck ... er-100000/

Is Tesla X an option?
anon_investor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:38 pmI am partial to Lexus, smooth ride, very comfortable, and relatively low maintenance costs. I have not tried the RXL (smaller 3rd row) but you could test drive it with the LX to compare.
I'm not familiar with most of the ones on the list, but I'd expect the RX to be outclassed and the LX is dated. Reliability and cost are low on the requirements in this decision.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:07 pm
Why the cap? What does that eliminate? What choices are there for 3 row SUV over 100k? Seems like for the most part it's the same vehicles overloaded with features and engine upgrades (M).

Is Tesla X an option?
anon_investor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:38 pmI am partial to Lexus, smooth ride, very comfortable, and relatively low maintenance costs. I have not tried the RXL (smaller 3rd row) but you could test drive it with the LX to compare.
I'm not familiar with most of the ones on the list, but I'd expect the RX to be outclassed and the LX is dated. Reliability and cost are low on the requirements in this decision.
Reliability and costs are the considerations expected from a BH, lol. Maybe an AWD Sienna should be the recommendation. :o
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Is Tesla X an option?
Reliability and costs are the considerations expected from a BH, lol. Maybe an AWD Sienna should be the recommendation. :o
Nah, Bogleheads would go with 2wd with some snow tires for winter - that they swap themselves of course.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Is Tesla X an option?
Absolutely not, Landcruiser all the way.

Now OP has a choice between an ancient design (Landcruiser) and a vehicle for ancients (Cadillac).
delamer

Post by delamer »

I recommend checking out edmunds.com (free), kbb.com (free), and Consumer Reports ($24/year for digital, I believe), if you haven’t already.

No one source is the ultimate authority, but if you find a consensus across all three then believe it.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

X7 all the way. Probably the only proper 3 row “luxury” SUV on the list. Well maybe GLS.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

That’s a long list. Some of those SUVs are enormous. Some are more like wagons. FWIW I liked the Q7 and people love the X7. i didn’t care for the LX as the interior felt dated to me. A couple of the vehicles on your list have terrible reliability ratings. I mean maybe that’s square but geez. If I’m gonna shell out 90k I don’t want something that’s always in the shop.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Escalade all the way, especially if you wan't to show the world you have the latest ride. All new redesign while the others are a few years old now. And it looks great.
DoubleDraw

Post by DoubleDraw »

Check out Doug DeMuro's reviews on YouTube. He approaches reviews from an Everyman's perspective (vs. a gearhead's). I believe he recommends the X7 out of this bunch.

X7 Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1fNZSYXNaw

GLS Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOREqfzgN9M

Navigator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUSv8b-V5I4
Topic Author
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

I’m looking for an SUV that looks like an SUV, not one that looks too much like a coupe with a sloping rear roofline. The boxy rear is what I want since it gives enough head room for the 3rd row passengers. (My parents in law are staying with us for a while and probably indefinitely hence the need for space). Yes the new Escalade is awesome on video reviews; its huge OLED 4K resolution infotainment screen is said to be the first in the industry. I don’t think the 2021s are out yet for test drives. I’ve already test driven the Q7, X7, and LX. Will reserve judgement until I test the GLS, Navigator, Escalade, and Genesis GV80.

I agree that the Lexus LX is dated, but to its credit, that’s probably the reason for its high reliability: it possesses tried and tested technology, so why update? It’s probably the one that will get us through the apocalypse....unless we run out of gas, of course (it’s a gas guzzling machine)...lol..
daektr

Post by daektr »

I suggest the Volvo XC90 (T8 Inscription) is worth a look - it's what we chose when starting with a similar list. It's comfortable and quick -- and the plug-in hybrid is much less annoying (eg at traffic lights) than the start/stop thing new ICE engines are doing these days.
chrisam314

Post by chrisam314 »

Landcruiser all the way.

If I'm spending that much on an SUV I want something that will ride through Mordor without getting rattled and I can sell to someone else in 10 years for $30K.

YMMV 8-)
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

I've heard the X7, especially with some of the packages, is supposed to be really nice. I'd make sure to consider it.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

bbqguru wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:57 pm We've got a 18 Navigator L Reserve with the second row bucket seats and all of the options except the dvd system and love it. I would strongly advice you to consider the L version over the standard. It's not a couple of thousand more, but adds a huge amount of storage space.
This. If you are looking for a 3-Row where you actually intend to you the 3rd row, long wheel base Navigator is the way to go. BMW X7 is your sportiest option on the list. Cadillac is not as luxurious as the navigator or as sporty as an X7 but probably something you can have as a backup. Audi Q7 is awful - outdated tech, useless 3rd row, not as comfy as the others.

I am making a list of 3 rows as I have to buy one myself post Covid. I have not yet decided if I will buy a luxury suv or just buy a utility vehicle.

Here's my shortlist:

Navigator (Long wheel base)
X7
Telluride/Palisade
Chevy Traverse
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

bogledogle wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:18 pmAudi Q7 is awful - outdated tech, useless 3rd row, not as comfy as the others.
The 2020 Q7 re-did the infotainment system in the car compared to the 2017-2019. They also have a new engine, so I'm not sure reliable it will end up being.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:17 pmReliability and costs are the considerations expected from a BH, lol. Maybe an AWD Sienna should be the recommendation. :o
The Sienna would meet the 3rd row checkmark, and add the Miata to checkoff sportiness!

OP, since you're planning on using the 3rd row a lot with adults, consider crossing any where the 3rd row is smaller than a Sienna, less comfortable or hard to get in/out.

The Escalade, which I think is still based off the Suburban, should do nicely on this requirement.
DoubleDraw wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:11 pmX7 Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1fNZSYXNaw
USB-C port in 3rd row! I'm sold!

Take that back...it's not PD (not as far as I can confirm). Gotta be able to charge my Macbook Pro at 20V 5A. If anyone is doing a test drive, let the salesman know you're not going to buy it because lacking PD is a deal killer and walk away.
https://www.cars.com/articles/my-car-ha ... do-422257/

WTF is ALPINA? OP, it might break the budget and costs as much as Miata, but should help tick off the sporty checkbox.
Last edited by inbox788 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime »

Land Rover Discovery . Wow, what a machine, esp with the electric seat folding system. I saw it in the dealers. Preferred it to the Range Rovers.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Another vote for the 2021 Escalade.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

You left off Toyota Landcruiser...the best of the lot..built like a brick and every part is engineered to last 25 years..What else do you need?
Domadosolo

Post by Domadosolo »

GLS has a nice ride, and space in the 3rd row for adults. You are right, take a test ride
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

A-Commoner wrote: Assuming a budget of 70-100k for a brand new, latest model 3 row luxury SUV, prioritizing luxury over sportiness (although a combo would be great), I appreciate your thoughts on the following (in no particular order): . . .
Any reason the Chevy Suburban is not on your list? I'm driving my second Suburban in 20 years. I can put anyone I want in my 3 rows, still pack everything in the back, not to mention what's left over goes on the roof, plus it drives as soft as butter down the highway. I don't consider it fancy or luxurious, but it's a nice beast 8-)
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:36 pm Any reason the Chevy Suburban is not on your list? I'm driving my second Suburban in 20 years. I can put anyone I want in my 3 rows, still pack everything in the back, not to mention what's left over goes on the roof, plus it drives as soft as butter down the highway. I don't consider it fancy or luxurious, but it's a nice beast 8-)
Maybe because
A-Commoner wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:19 pm Assuming a budget of 70-100k for a brand new, latest model 3 row luxury SUV, prioritizing luxury over sportiness
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

bogledogle wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:18 pm
bbqguru wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:57 pm We've got a 18 Navigator L Reserve with the second row bucket seats and all of the options except the dvd system and love it. I would strongly advice you to consider the L version over the standard. It's not a couple of thousand more, but adds a huge amount of storage space.
This. If you are looking for a 3-Row where you actually intend to you the 3rd row, long wheel base Navigator is the way to go. BMW X7 is your sportiest option on the list. Cadillac is not as luxurious as the navigator or as sporty as an X7 but probably something you can have as a backup. Audi Q7 is awful - outdated tech, useless 3rd row, not as comfy as the others.

I am making a list of 3 rows as I have to buy one myself post Covid. I have not yet decided if I will buy a luxury suv or just buy a utility vehicle.

Here's my shortlist:

Navigator (Long wheel base)
X7
Telluride/Palisade
Chevy Traverse
Exactly. My father is 6'2 and exclusively drives a Suburban. The third row is there, but leg room is useless (even for me and I'm 5'10). He was part of the hunting group and he rode in the third row and commented on the leg room and the fact the seats recline somewhat.

Either way you end up going, you'll want the longest wheelbase of the model you choose. Especially if you've made frequently got a full car of people.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

+1 vote for the Escalade. They've finally done away with the steering column shifter on the Escalade, and it's about dang time. I could not believe in 2020 with Escalade as well received and popular as it was, GM continued to try and get away with that to save costs.

I would also recommend pricing out similarly equipped Suburbans and Yukons to your Escalade build. You may be able to save some money that way. My guess is the internals on all 3 are the same.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

daektr wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:43 pm I suggest the Volvo XC90 (T8 Inscription) is worth a look - it's what we chose when starting with a similar list. It's comfortable and quick -- and the plug-in hybrid is much less annoying (eg at traffic lights) than the start/stop thing new ICE engines are doing these days.
I second this.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

atikovi wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:36 pm Any reason the Chevy Suburban is not on your list? I'm driving my second Suburban in 20 years. I can put anyone I want in my 3 rows, still pack everything in the back, not to mention what's left over goes on the roof, plus it drives as soft as butter down the highway. I don't consider it fancy or luxurious, but it's a nice beast 8-)
Maybe because
A-Commoner wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:19 pm Assuming a budget of 70-100k for a brand new, latest model 3 row luxury SUV, prioritizing luxury over sportiness
Well that's true, although the fancier Suburbans come close in price. I guess with price comes car features I'm not even aware of :mrgreen:
bbqguru wrote: My father is 6'2 and exclusively drives a Suburban. The third row is there, but leg room is useless (even for me and I'm 5'10). He was part of the hunting group and he rode in the third row and commented on the leg room and the fact the seats recline somewhat.
I agree with bbqguru that the Suburban has insufficient leg room for longer legs in the third row.
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

OldBallCoach wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:24 pm You left off Toyota Landcruiser...the best of the lot..built like a brick and every part is engineered to last 25 years..What else do you need?

While yes, the Landcruiser will outlast all the vehicles in the first post, most people don't need a car to last 25 years. Most people with the means to spend $80k for a Landcruiser are not going to own it for 25+ years straight.

The Landcruiser is a solid car, but it's getting long in the tooth. While it's Toyota's premier SUV, the Escalade is a definite step up.

Toyota can market the Landcruiser as being the perfect desert and safari vehicle, but most NA owners are not going to transport their Landcruiser to Africa for adventures.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

A-Commoner wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:27 pm I’m looking for an SUV that looks like an SUV, not one that looks too much like a coupe with a sloping rear roofline. The boxy rear is what I want since it gives enough head room for the 3rd row passengers. (My parents in law are staying with us for a while and probably indefinitely hence the need for space). Yes the new Escalade is awesome on video reviews; its huge OLED 4K resolution infotainment screen is said to be the first in the industry. I don’t think the 2021s are out yet for test drives. I’ve already test driven the Q7, X7, and LX. Will reserve judgement until I test the GLS, Navigator, Escalade, and Genesis GV80.

I agree that the Lexus LX is dated, but to its credit, that’s probably the reason for its high reliability: it possesses tried and tested technology, so why update? It’s probably the one that will get us through the apocalypse....unless we run out of gas, of course (it’s a gas guzzling machine)...lol..
you should look into the 2020 Toyota Landcruiser. Seems amazing. Lexus LX model is near identical though but gosh I want that Landcruiser!
radiokurt

Post by radiokurt »

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Helo80 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:56 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:24 pm You left off Toyota Landcruiser...the best of the lot..built like a brick and every part is engineered to last 25 years..What else do you need?

While yes, the Landcruiser will outlast all the vehicles in the first post, most people don't need a car to last 25 years. Most people with the means to spend $80k for a Landcruiser are not going to own it for 25+ years straight.

The Landcruiser is a solid car, but it's getting long in the tooth. While it's Toyota's premier SUV, the Escalade is a definite step up.

Toyota can market the Landcruiser as being the perfect desert and safari vehicle, but most NA owners are not going to transport their Landcruiser to Africa for adventures.
You are correct I only own mine for 8-9 years and 350K or so then I get a new one. As for adventure driving have to been in the SW corner of Michigan in Winter? South Bend to Chicago has some great roads as well. It is safe, solid and NOT going to breakdown when you are on your way to Midway Airport in Chicago at 3am. And the reason that many of us have the 80K for a new car is because we value things like function over sytle. I will say the new Escalade is a nice ride, I had one for my company car a two years ago. I have a Lincoln Navigator this year...again...nice truck but I prefer my LC...
tryingtogetahead

Post by tryingtogetahead »

It’s not on your list, but if I were to spend the money, I’d get the Volvo XC90. It’s available in trim levels at your price range and even below. I am surprised, however, that so many BHs own Audis, Mercedes, Escalades, etc. These are very expensive cars. How can you be BHs? Why don’t you all have Hondas and Toyotas? They are much better values.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:56 pmI agree with bbqguru that the Suburban has insufficient leg room for longer legs in the third row.
Does any SUV or other vehicles? Which cars have more 3rd row legroom that's more than the Suburban? I'm guessing it's quite a short list, although a proper one may be hard to come by, since you can get a few extra inches in the 3rd row by taking it from the 2nd row, and some 2nd rows are tight themselves, while others more generous. This leads to a number of impractical configurations that might make one number or one seat standout.

I was looking at images of the Suburban, Escalade, and other vehicles discussed, and none appeared roomy or comfortable. The recent 3rd row seats on GM vehicles look like they're half the thickness of the past generations, which makes me question whether they're as comfortable as they used to be.

Just a starting reference point. You've really got to get into the seat to yourself. And getting in and out itself can often be a challenge. Please correct any errors or point out old models.

Odyssey 40.9 inches in the second row and 38.1 inches in the third row
Sienna's 37.6 inches in the second row and 36.3 inches in the third row
https://www.motortrend.com/news/honda-o ... son-right/

Traverse 38.4 inches of second-row legroom, and 33.5 inches of third-row legroom
https://www.graffokemos.com/blog/how-ma ... -or-711500

Suburban

39.7 inches of legroom, and the third row has 34.5 inches of legroom
https://www.biggerschevy.com/chevrolet- ... -suburban/ (2019)

Second Row Leg Room (inches) 42.0 Third Row Leg Room (inches) 36.7
https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/suburban/specs (2020)

Second Leg Room (in) 36.4 Third Leg Room (in) 37.2
https://www.iseecars.com/car/1999-chevr ... dimensions (1999)
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

tryingtogetahead wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:29 am It’s not on your list, but if I were to spend the money, I’d get the Volvo XC90. It’s available in trim levels at your price range and even below. I am surprised, however, that so many BHs own Audis, Mercedes, Escalades, etc. These are very expensive cars. How can you be BHs? Why don’t you all have Hondas and Toyotas? They are much better values.

I personally wouldnt go for xc90.

It is a little outdated

+

Volvo is now owned by china

+

Inline 4 engine for a “luxury” car makes no sense.
delamer

Post by delamer »

tryingtogetahead wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:29 am It’s not on your list, but if I were to spend the money, I’d get the Volvo XC90. It’s available in trim levels at your price range and even below. I am surprised, however, that so many BHs own Audis, Mercedes, Escalades, etc. These are very expensive cars. How can you be BHs? Why don’t you all have Hondas and Toyotas? They are much better values.
Here are the 10 principles of Boglehead investing: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy

Nothing in them about how much to pay for a car, nor have I read anything in which Jack Bogle opined on that topic.
queso

Post by queso »

Went through a similar exercise recently, but with a slightly different mix of vehicles.

1. Audi Q7
2. Honda Pilot
3. Subaru Ascent
4. MB GLS 2020
5. Kia Telluride
6. Lexus LX
7. BMW X7
8. Cayenne
9. Volvo XC90

Had kind of settled on a Telluride, but was unable to find one anywhere close to MSRP. They are scarce around these parts so even dealers in neighboring states were quoting me $6-7k above MSRP. Kicked the tires on ordering a 2021 but the whole experience was so bad I wrote the Telluride off and got an XC90. Only 600 miles or so into the ownership experience so far so not enough time/data to comment on satisfaction level at this point.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Drove the Volvo for 3.5 hrs ..nice ride and engine respinse, but the seats felt too rigid. Passengers said same.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

inbox788 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: I agree with bbqguru that the Suburban has insufficient leg room for longer legs in the third row.
Does any SUV or other vehicles? Which cars have more 3rd row legroom that's more than the Suburban . . .

I was looking at images of the Suburban, Escalade, and other vehicles discussed, and none appeared roomy or comfortable. The recent 3rd row seats on GM vehicles look like they're half the thickness of the past generations, which makes me question whether they're as comfortable as they used to be.
I based my comment and observation on personal experience getting in and out of them, not on measurements or thickness of seats. I have owned 2 Chevy Suburbans for 20 years, drove my first Suburban for 10 years, 150,000 miles, and now I'm on my second Suburban, a 2010 basic model. The 3rd seat is comfortable, but does not have the leg room space or depth that the 2nd row has.

The 2nd row is so spacious - leg room, head room, arm room, you name it - that it's simply very comfortable for any size person. The 3rd row is not quite as spacious, leg depth or front leg room. However, it's certainly roomier and more comfortable (to me and my family and their friends) than the 2nd row of a smaller car. So "comfort" and "leg room" are relative.
inbox788 wrote:Just a starting reference point. You've really got to get into the seat to yourself. And getting in and out itself can often be a challenge. Please correct any errors or point out old models.
I agree with this - getting into the 3rd row of a Suburban is more difficult than getting into the 3rd row of my old Toyota Previa van. So it kind of depends on who you're putting into that back SUV row and how easy it will be for them to get in and out of it.

But again, the OP wanted a luxury SUV - and others have said a Suburban is not luxury. A Honda Pilot or Odyssey is not luxury either, and not near as large as the Suburban, although the Odyssey may be configured more like the old Previa and easier to get into the 3rd row.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:26 pmBut again, the OP wanted a luxury SUV - and others have said a Suburban is not luxury. A Honda Pilot or Odyssey is not luxury either, and not near as large as the Suburban, although the Odyssey may be configured more like the old Previa and easier to get into the 3rd row.
No, but the more expensive sibling, the Escalade is a contender.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ca ... omparison/

Are air suspensions standard in the other options?

There have been persistent rumors Sienna was going to get a luxury sibling with a Lexus emblem, but I guess a "luxury minivan" has been a bridge too far, and I look forward to one day arriving in the US. Still, the Sienna Premium Limited and the Chrysler Pacifica Limited are very luxurious minivans (also the Odyssey Elite) inching up on the $50k mark.

https://www.motor1.com/news/425208/lexu ... rendering/
https://www.thedrive.com/news/27475/all ... -cant-have
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:15 am

You are correct I only own mine for 8-9 years and 350K or so then I get a new one. As for adventure driving have to been in the SW corner of Michigan in Winter? South Bend to Chicago has some great roads as well. It is safe, solid and NOT going to breakdown when you are on your way to Midway Airport in Chicago at 3am. And the reason that many of us have the 80K for a new car is because we value things like function over sytle. I will say the new Escalade is a nice ride, I had one for my company car a two years ago. I have a Lincoln Navigator this year...again...nice truck but I prefer my LC...
If I was in a financial position to have a LC and a Navigator, there'd be zero possibility I'd ever be driving to Midway airport at 3am.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:40 pm
OldBallCoach wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:15 am

If I was in a financial position to have a LC and a Navigator, there'd be zero possibility I'd ever be driving to Midway airport at 3am.
Well when you travel as much as we do in this job you fly out of all kinds of place at crazy hours...but yea....your not wrong...LOL