Stuck with expensive mattress I can't return

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sillysaver

Stuck with expensive mattress I can't return

Post by sillysaver »

We tried a Tempurpedic Pro Adapt Firm from a local furniture store and realized after some time that it's not going to work for me. We use the Ooler mattress pad that provides cooling, but it changes the feel of the mattress. I remember in the store that the bed didn't feel hard at all. Now I don't "sink" into the foam like I'm supposed to. It feels hard and I feel my circulation getting cut off after long periods, especially while sleeping on my side (I tend to change positions).

I've looked into exchanging it for the same model with a softer feel, but I'm not confident that will be enough, especially given the mattress pad. I also looked at upgrading to the Luxe Breeze, which uses a cooling material, but I have similar reservations. Even if we get rid of the Ooler, which we recently purchased for around $1700, I'm not sure I want to take the risk of using our "one-time" exchange for $125 plus the difference (altogether about $1700 to upgrade to Luxe). I think it is still slightly too firm and plus I like the Ooler's precise temperature control.

My idea now is to purchase a latex mattress topper like the one I used to have with my previous bed - a deep, soft one for me and a firm one for my wife. Total cost about $300.

I suspect plush latex will *not* be as affected by the use of the hydroponic cooling pad (which itself is not hard, it was just interfering with the contouring feature of memory foam). It's only a guess based on my familiarity with this material, but still, it is an experiment.

Even if that works, we've wasted $4k or so on a bed whose features can't be fully used if we go that route. Basically, we would have a very expensive base for our mattress topper. What can we do? I should have paid more attention to the store's policies. I will never purchase another mattress from one of these places.

I thought about donating it, but well-known charities don't accept mattress donations and I doubt I could even claim the full retail value on my tax return. It would probably be nearly impossible to sell used (even though it is like new).
livesoft

Re: Stuck with expensive mattress I can't return

Post by livesoft »

Sell your used mattress to somebody else.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

sillysaver wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 am What can we do? I should have paid more attention to the store's policies. I will never purchase another mattress from one of these places.
So you're blaming the store for your inattention?
sillysaver wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 am It would probably be nearly impossible to sell used (even though it is like new).
Why not? Isn't Craigslist based on people selling their used stuff? And if the store was generous enough to actually take it back, aren't you expecting them to do just that, with it?
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Strange. Most mattress stores or brands have the best return policies. DW and I bought and returned 5 mattresses before settling with this one. Have you tried contacting Tempurpedic directly? In some instances, like costco, they came and retrieved the mattress. In other instance such as online mattress brands told us to donate it.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

atikovi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:17 am
sillysaver wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 am What can we do? I should have paid more attention to the store's policies. I will never purchase another mattress from one of these places.
sillysaver wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 am It would probably be nearly impossible to sell used (even though it is like new).
Why not? Isn't Craigslist based on people selling their used stuff? And if the store was generous enough to actually take it back, aren't you expecting them to do just that, with it?
I expect the market for used 4000 dollar mattresses on craigslist is pretty small and that you are going to have to take a really deep haircut to move it.
I don't know how mattress pads interact with memory foam (i.e does setting your temp at 70 prevent the foam from softening from your body heat?) but it would be something that I would look into make a choice. And I sort of doubt spending 1700 more to get a tier up in mattresses is going to change much. You are already pretty far up the chain.

Mattress's are a tough item to buy these days. In the old days at least there was noticeable differences with number and types of coils. These days picking between the zillion types of materials and how they will interact with your sleep patterns is hard. I would pay 5k for a better sleep in a heart beat. Figuring out though if I am actually getting better sleep for my money or if I will regret it and enter into the do a couple of exchanges til I am happy leaves me sleeping in my mattress from a decade ago that gives good enough sleep.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

atikovi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:17 am
This is a super easy mistake, and I personally think it borders on being shady. Tempurpedic (and lots of other mattress brands) loudly and incessantly promote their 100 day free trials, or no hassle return policies.

The fact that it only applies to items purchased directly from them is very subtle.

I almost made the same mistake. The only thing that saved me was that I stumbled across that piece of information some place else. They should be more clear about this, since they tout the low- risk return policy as a major selling point.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

They are willing to exchange it for only $125 on a $4000 mattress. I do not understand why you would not return to the store and be more careful with your next choice. Forget about social niceties. Spend a looong time on the mattresses that are your final choices. Bring the mattress pad in if you plan to use it. Honestly, I can not imagine spending $4000 on a mattress that I thought needed a $1700 mattress pad.

I suspect the mattress store will be accommodating and helpful unless you present as a customer who is just never going to be happy anyway.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Katietsu wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:33 pm They are willing to exchange it for only $125 on a $4000 mattress. I do not understand why you would not return to the store and be more careful with your next choice. Forget about social niceties. Spend a looong time on the mattresses that are your final choices. Bring the mattress pad in if you plan to use it. Honestly, I can not imagine spending $4000 on a mattress that I thought needed a $1700 mattress pad.

I suspect the mattress store will be accommodating and helpful unless you present as a customer who is just never going to be happy anyway.
Wasn't clear but I think the $4K mattress was a final sale, and the $1700 topper can be swapped for $125. Like you said though, a $4000 mattress shouldn't need anything but a protector and sheets. Only reason I would use a $1700 topper is if I had a cheap mattress underneath; my mattress is wonderful and wasn't more than $1200 all-in.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

The best mattress we've ever owned is a Casper and we paid less than $1000 (w/ a promotion). And I have lower back issues and am very picky about my mattresses (been through a number). Have woken up pain-free for about a year now so I hope it lasts. But even if they only last 5 years or so, I'd be more than happy to buy a new one every 5 years because a bed is that important.

I agree that Craigslist or maybe Facebook Marketplace are probably your only options. But I'm assuming you'll have to deeply discount it no matter how new it is.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

sillysaver wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 amI'm not sure I want to take the risk of using our "one-time" exchange for $125 plus the difference (altogether about $1700 to upgrade to Luxe). I think it is still slightly too firm and plus I like the Ooler's precise temperature control.
There's no use worrying about sunk costs. You made a mistake. Put that behind you and do what makes sense going forward, with more knowledge this time.

Either spend $125 in order to exchange it for a mattress that you actually like at this store, or move on to another store and buy something else.

In some locales, certain shelters will welcome the donation of a used mattress (probably depends on your locale). Otherwise, just dump it.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Thread has run its course. Topic is locked (rant).