Easiest Way to Fax From Computer?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Easiest Way to Fax From Computer?

Post by Small Law Survivor »

I have a situation where I will need to fax some documents occasionally over the next year. I'd like to be able to do this from my computer. I know there are several programs that claim to enable this. Which one is most reliable and easiest to use? My computer is a Mac.

thanks in advance!
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names
BogleTaxPro

Re: Easiest Way to Fax From Computer?

Post by BogleTaxPro »

PC Magazine recommends several products:
https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-on ... x-services
See if one of these options works for Mac? I'm not a Mac person.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Some printers also have this capability.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:34 am I have a situation where I will need to fax some documents occasionally over the next year. I'd like to be able to do this from my computer. I know there are several programs that claim to enable this. Which one is most reliable and easiest to use? My computer is a Mac.

thanks in advance!
I just googled "online free fax tool", and scrolled down below the four "Ad" links, and the next result looks promising. faxzero.com

TNWoods
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:00 am Some printers also have this capability.
A lot of the 'multi function' scanner/printers do... but it's only useful if you also have a traditional analog phone line :annoyed
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

If it is only a few pages, I've used the free version of Faxzero a few times which has worked well for me. https://www.lifewire.com/free-fax-services-2378048
kbjeffrey

Post by kbjeffrey »

I often have to fax documents for my company and I find that using my phone is best. I use the FaxBurner app. Since I only send and don't receive faxes, I've never has to even upgrade to the paid version and every fax has gone through without a problem.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:00 am Some printers also have this capability.
Don't you need a regular landline service to send/receive a fax? Before the days of DSL or cable modems, a PC had a modem which also acts as a fax machine with modem software such as Bitfax. I am sure Windows halso has a fax function.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

TNWoods wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:03 am
Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:34 am I have a situation where I will need to fax some documents occasionally over the next year. I'd like to be able to do this from my computer. I know there are several programs that claim to enable this. Which one is most reliable and easiest to use? My computer is a Mac.

thanks in advance!
I just googled "online free fax tool", and scrolled down below the four "Ad" links, and the next result looks promising. faxzero.com

TNWoods
Have used this service 50+ times. Never an issue.
TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA »

FaxZero

I have used it for professional and personal things. It is so rare to have a situation REQUIRE a fax, since attaching documents to emails and even text messages works very well.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:12 am
Don't you need a regular landline service to send/receive a fax? Before the days of DSL or cable modems, a PC had a modem which also acts as a fax machine with modem software such as Bitfax. I am sure Windows halso has a fax function.
Yes. Some dinosaurs still have regular landline service. Discuss it with my wife; it is out of my hands! :wink:
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

kbjeffrey wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:11 am I often have to fax documents for my company and I find that using my phone is best. I use the FaxBurner app. Since I only send and don't receive faxes, I've never has to even upgrade to the paid version and every fax has gone through without a problem.
This looks interesting, thank you - I use an iphone app called "Scannable" to photograph documents and convert them to pdf's - it is by Evernote and integrated with Evernote, but you can email a document to yourself and bypass Evernote altogether. So, a phone-based fax app is ideal since the image would start on my phone. I'll test it out, thanks.

As I write this is occurs to me that the ideal fax app would include the ability to photograph the pages, assemble a multi-page document and fax it, all in one app. Took a quick look and I think this app will do that, but not sure it takes as good an image as Scannable, which "cleans up" the doc quite nicely.

MathIsMyWayr - there are a number of services that allow you to send/receive faxes if you don't have landline - that's what I'm looking for.
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

As have others here, I have used fax zero multiple times over the years, including faxing medical claims forms which at the time required social security numbers. Maybe not a great idea, but they do seem to have good security and privacy protocols, and I never had any issues.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Is it possible to take pictures of your documents and then email the pictures? Been doing that lately.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

hellofax
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner
hudson

Post by hudson »

I use faxzero directly from my computer. Just a few pages are free. Lots of pages cost around $2.

https://faxzero.com/
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:12 am
I would assume OP is sending them to a business and probably 99% of businesses have a landline.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Another vote for faxzero.
Ron

Post by Ron »

tennisplyr wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:36 pm Is it possible to take pictures of your documents and then email the pictures? Been doing that lately.
In some situations (i.e. legal, medical) an email attachment is not desirable.

In my case, documents related to medical and state benefits for my disabled adult son are not accepted by email/email attachments, but can be either mailed or faxed. Like others, I use FaxZero and save the postage.

Here's some info on why emailed documents may not work: https://www.faxcompare.com/blog/sending ... il-better/

- Ron
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:27 amThis looks interesting, thank you - I use an iphone app called "Scannable" to photograph documents and convert them to pdf's - it is by Evernote and integrated with Evernote, but you can email a document to yourself and bypass Evernote altogether. So, a phone-based fax app is ideal since the image would start on my phone. I'll test it out, thanks.

As I write this is occurs to me that the ideal fax app would include the ability to photograph the pages, assemble a multi-page document and fax it, all in one app. Took a quick look and I think this app will do that, but not sure it takes as good an image as Scannable, which "cleans up" the doc quite nicely.

MathIsMyWayr - there are a number of services that allow you to send/receive faxes if you don't have landline - that's what I'm looking for.
OP, did you find a solution?

Do you have a fax machine or multifunction with fax?

More often than not, the easiest way is to find another way. I haven't faxed anything in about 2 years now, and I'm about to throw away (recycle) my faxing multifunction printer that has been used a handful of times in the last decade, and only for fax. You want it?

I don't have a real landline; it was being used with VOIP (Ooma or Obi).

Is it only one receiver? What options do they have on their side? Don't they have a printer? Or can't their fax also print? Or is there a legal issue?

[Oh, and I used to have a free eFax number, but I recently went looking for it, and it seems to have been cancelled. I don't recall losing it until now. Not too upset about it, since it was used less than occasionally, only rarely. And it was a replacement to another eFax number that was cancelled for receiving too many faxes that were all spamfax. -- Update: I found my virtual fax. I forgot I had moved it to a seldom used email. It's still working great! (for receive only) I just cleared out all the spam, but the silver lining is that the spam fax might just be the activity needed that kept my account from being deactivated.]

Your need is asymmetric, right (just send, not receive)?

I recently discovered there is a standard for color fax, but it's kind of like digital radio (HD).

There is a standard called ITU-T30e (formally ITU-T Recommendation T.30 Annex E
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fax#Printing_process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_r ... ted_States