PSA: switch to LED light bulbs and save hundreds per year

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Afty

PSA: switch to LED light bulbs and save hundreds per year

Post by Afty »

Maybe this isn’t a surprise to others, but it sure was to me. We have a chandelier in our kitchen that is on whenever we’re home and awake. It uses 6 40w light bulbs. With us all home because of COVID it’s on around 16 hours per day. The equivalent LED bulb uses 3.3w, and our CA electric rate is $0.28/kWh (thanks PG&E).

Incandescent: 6 bulbs * 40w * 16 hrs/day * 365 days/yr = 1401 kWh/yr = $392/yr
LED: 6 bulbs * 3.3w * 16 hrs/day * 365 days/yr = 115 kWh/yr = $32/yr

Switching that one fixture to LEDs will save $360 a year!
Valuethinker

Re: PSA: switch to LED light bulbs and save hundreds per year

Post by Valuethinker »

Afty wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:57 pm Maybe this isn’t a surprise to others, but it sure was to me. We have a chandelier in our kitchen that is on whenever we’re home and awake. It uses 6 40w light bulbs. With us all home because of COVID it’s on around 16 hours per day. The equivalent LED bulb uses 3.3w, and our CA electric rate is $0.28/kWh (thanks PG&E).

I first posted about this around 2010 I believe.

At that point in the UK LED bulbs cost £10 to £20 each. Say 12.50 to 25 USD. Electricity was c 25 US cents kwhr

I built a Net Present Value model.

I concluded that it paid to switch 30 to 40 bulbs was still financially viable. I did the switch and saved about £10 per month. Philips bulbs & I have subsequently had to replace very few.

The main thing to watch us that of the 8760 hours in a year, most lightbulbs are probably on less than 1000 hours even less than 500 hours.

OTOH bulbs probably cost 5 to 6 USD now?

Post by 000 »

Have never found a replacement for incandescents that is as soft and gentle.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

haven't used incandescent bulbs in years. On the other hand, we also don't leave lights on all the time. Almost all are off during the day when natural light is usually adequate (some exceptions).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Valuethinker wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Afty wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:57 pm Maybe this isn’t a surprise to others, but it sure was to me. We have a chandelier in our kitchen that is on whenever we’re home and awake. It uses 6 40w light bulbs. With us all home because of COVID it’s on around 16 hours per day. The equivalent LED bulb uses 3.3w, and our CA electric rate is $0.28/kWh (thanks PG&E).

At that point in the UK LED bulbs cost £10 to £20 each. Say 12.50 to 25 USD. Electricity was c 25 US cents kwhr

I concluded that it paid to switch 30 to 40 bulbs was still financially viable. I did the switch and saved about £10 per month. Philips bulbs & I have subsequently had to replace very few.

The main thing to watch us that of the 8760 hours in a year, most lightbulbs are probably on less than 1000 hours even less than 500 hours.

As low as $1/ bulb. Just bought a box of 24 60w equivalence GE LEDs for about $22.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-LED-60-Watt ... 1003094234
fedpharmer

Post by fedpharmer »

Check your local Dollar Tree for $1 LED bulbs. I was able to replace all the bulbs in our house, including candelabras and floods, from the dollar store.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Valuethinker wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:15 pm

In parts of the US you can get a rebate from your local utility company. I think I was able to get a bunch for basically free.
BluesH

Post by BluesH »

The arithmetic even works out for more efficient technologies, e.g. LED vs compact fluorescent.

We did a kitchen remodel 11 years ago, just before LEDs were commonplace. We had light canisters installed with compact fluorescent bulbs. Fast forward to earlier this year, when I found a supplier that made drop-in replacement LED bulbs for those canisters, tolerant to the fluorescent ballasts.

Arithmetic -- old bulbs were 28w each, new ones are 12w each. DIfference is 16 watts. Kitchen has 8 bulbs, so a savings of 128 watts. If kitchen lights are on 10 hrs/day (it's pretty central to what we do each day/evening), that's 128w * 10hr/day * 30days/month = 38.4 kwH savings per month. At our California electricity rates of about $0.30 per kwH, that's a savings of $11.52 per month. I paid $101 for the 8 bulbs plus one spare. That gives me a positive payback in less than 9 months.
Last edited by BluesH on Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

And you will have less heat in the house. After arguing with DW over our 5 light chandler for several years, I installed LED's (candelabra bases, and she begrudgingly admitted the light was OK and they looked OK, but what she did notice was the difference in heat. No A/C here, and 1000 btu/hr adds a lot temp to the room.

Post by 123 »

We switched to mostly LEDs a few years back for most of our lighting. The only problem we encoutered involved a few rooms that formerly had halogen ceiling lights, we had to replace (DIY) some regular and dimmer light switches after switching to LED bulbs. The old switches didn't work well with the new bulbs, either the dimming function didn't work well or the old switches made noise.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

The only negative to LED's and compact fluorescence lights, is that they occasionally let 'the smoke' out. Stinky smoke!

I had one do that just 2 nights ago.

Post by 000 »

RetiredAL wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:35 pm The only negative to LED's and compact fluorescence lights, is that they occasionally let 'the smoke' out. Stinky smoke!

And (for CFLs) having Mercury in a glass bulb in your house :shock:
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

RetiredAL wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:35 pm The only negative to LED's and compact fluorescence lights, is that they occasionally let 'the smoke' out. Stinky smoke!

Yeah, that CFL smoke smell, before bed means a room change.
sport

Post by sport »

BluesH wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:29 pm At our California electricity rates of about $0.30 per kwH...
Wow! I am paying a shade less than $0.05 per kwh.
wander

Post by wander »

I tried to switch to Fluorescent light bulbs to save money. But then the dang things failed so often. I wasn't sure if I saved anything switching to Fluorescent light bulbs.
LED light bulbs are a different story. Now, I think I can actually save some pennies.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

sport wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:42 pm
BluesH wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:29 pm At our California electricity rates of about $0.30 per kwH...
You probably run your heater and air conditioner a lot more, too.
sport

Post by sport »

wander wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:50 pm I tried to switch to Fluorescent light bulbs to save money. But then the dang things failed so often. I wasn't sure if I saved anything switching to Fluorescent light bulbs.
LED light bulbs are a different story. Now, I think I can actually save some pennies.
When we moved into our house 14 years ago, I replaced many of the incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. Most of them are still after all that time.
sport

Post by sport »

LilyFleur wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:51 pm
You probably run your heater and air conditioner a lot more, too.
The heat is natural gas. We have been using the AC a lot these last two months. The monthly electric bill has been about $70.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Plus, incandescents heat your home WAY more than LEDs do. If you live in a climate where you tend to use the AC quite a bit, it can also make a big difference there. Every incandescent bulb is like a mini heater that your AC has to fight.

The CFL generation of bulbs were garbage, I really would have liked to have skipped that whole generation and waited until LEDs were cheap. No telling how many CFLs with their mercury are in landfills now.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:18 pm Have never found a replacement for incandescents that is as soft and gentle.
Do a little bit of shopping among LED bulbs. Some of them how have very good color rendering indexes. Much, much better than compact fluorescents. You can start simply by checking the color temperature. The cooler ones have higher luminous efficiency but the light from a warmer LED is very nice, side-by-side with an incandescent it's quite comparable.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

You have to understand that California is known as Tax-afornia or Fee-afornia. Electric cost is influenced our the Carbon Tax.

Depending on time-of-day, it can be as high as $.38 in PGE territory. Earlier in the week during their power emergency, they were paying $600+/MW for power from outside the state. Solar doesn't cut it at 6pm and it's 100+ out. Saturday's and Sunday's outages were related to price caps and no one in authority was available to allow an override. On Monday, they overrode it and guess what - no outages.

Overall, on my electric bill delivery charge is several times the actual energy charge.

The state keeps forcing PGE to file bankruptcy. Bankruptcy resets their asset cost. PGE is allowed by the PUC to make so much return on their assets. PGE smiles all the way to the bank with the new rates.

Post by 000 »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:02 pm
000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:18 pm Have never found a replacement for incandescents that is as soft and gentle.
Do a little bit of shopping among LED bulbs. Some of them how have very good color rendering indexes. Much, much better than compact fluorescents. You can start simply by checking the color temperature. The cooler ones have higher luminous efficiency but the light from a warmer LED is very nice, side-by-side with an incandescent it's quite comparable.
I haven't been able to find LED replacements for the ultra low light output bulbs (15w traditional). Have you seen them?
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

A big Welcome to the OP for coming over to the dark side of being "green". :)

I like the light from the new LED soft white bulbs. I replaced 12 60 watt incandescents with 12 soft white LEDs (60 watt output) in light fixtures that are used everyday (kitchen and bedrooms). I bought some "natural light" LEDs that I thought would provide nice light -- boy was I wrong. I use those in an outside porch light (added protection from vampires), the garage, and in a seldom used (but sometimes left on by accident) hall light fixture. I noticed a drop in electric usage when I swapped out all those 60 watt bulbs with LEDS.

I still have some CFLs in other lamps. And when they fade I will replace with LEDs.

I've still got incandescent bulbs in closets, unfinished basement and unfinished attic. I have no plans to replace these.

Also, buying "Energy Star" appliances and other stuff can also make a big difference in electric usages.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:11 pm
I haven't been able to find LED replacements for the ultra low light output bulbs (15w traditional). Have you seen them?
Do you mean like a nightlight bulb? They make them - I have "blue" ones. I also have clear ones but I'm not sure if they are LED or not... they are very low wattage though. Or do you mean like the S14 bulbs that go in a string of lights? They make those too... you may have to buy them online.

Post by 000 »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:25 pm
Do you mean like a nightlight bulb? They make them - I have "blue" ones. I also have clear ones but I'm not sure if they are LED or not... they are very low wattage though. Or do you mean like the S14 bulbs that go in a string of lights? They make those too... you may have to buy them online.
No, for a regular socket. I had assumed they didn't exist or there was some limitation in the LED technology operating at such a low luminosity. Maybe I need to look more online.

Having been burned by CFLs lasting much shorter than expected, I'm not too enthusiastic though...
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Unless you break the bulb it's not a problem. Dispose of them properly, however.

I recently replaced all the bulbs (many were still incandescent) with LED bulbs. Prices reached the point where it made sense to do it all once. The kitchen had 8 (count 'em) 80W incandescent floodlights.

Post by 000 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:30 pm
000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Unless you break the bulb it's not a problem. Dispose of them properly, however.

I recently replaced all the bulbs (many were still incandescent) with LED bulbs. Prices reached the point where it made sense to do it all once. The kitchen had 8 (count 'em) 80W incandescent floodlights.
Sure, just like using a mercury thermometer in your mouth isn't a problem if you don't bite down.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:29 pm
No, for a regular socket. I had assumed they didn't exist or there was some limitation in the LED technology operating at such a low luminosity. Maybe I need to look more online.

Having been burned by CFLs lasting much shorter than expected, I'm not too enthusiastic though...
My first LED bulbs (which I purchased around 2014) didn't last as long as I expected, but their replacements have been longer-lasting, cheaper, and a bit more efficient as well.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Our lights and appliances just don't use much electricity, so we could not possibly save hundreds per year. When not using air conditioning our electric bill is as low as $40 a month. That has to include stove, microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator/freezer, electric motors of (the washer, dryer, dishwasher, fans), computers, modems, TV, and of course all lights indoors and outdoors. Five months of the past 12 months our electric bill was less than $50.

We have mostly incandescent light bulbs and a few fluorescent ones. We replace bulbs as they burn out in our 3300+ square foot home. That's about 1 bulb every 5 years. Going solar would not be helpful either.

Instead of changing to LED light bulbs, I'd say: Turn off your damn lights!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post by 000 »

02nz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:34 pm My first LED bulbs (which I purchased around 2014) didn't last as long as I expected, but their replacements have been longer-lasting, cheaper, and a bit more efficient as well.
Thanks. I have had good luck with LEDs too (didn't mean to say otherwise), but haven't yet found a replacement for some of the bulbs.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Philips Warm Glow bulbs.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Get a adapter for regular to candelabra base. I've seen 3w candelabra, which is about equivalent to 15W incandescent.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

Do they make 3- way LED bulbs?

The kind that would replace the old 60/75/150 W incandescents. I remember looking a (long?) while ago and didn't find any.
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

What’s the application?
sport

Post by sport »

I have found that the LED bulbs tend to flicker when used with a dimmer switch, even though the package says "dimmable". Perhaps my dimmer switches need an upgrade.

Post by 000 »

marcwd wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:47 pm
What’s the application?
Prefer dim lights for some applications, e.g. use at night. Not sure if the current ones are 15w exactly or not. I just know that the lowest output LEDs at local stores were too bright.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Some cheap LED lights that just pop into USB sockets on your computer, car, TV, wall chargers, etc:

https://www.amazon.com/Yitee-Keychain-B ... B00QYNPKU2

They can be used as very soft night lights or even as flashlights with a power brick, especially on your bedside table. You can dim them so they use less than 0.01 Watts of power when on. I own some and a USB multimeter, so this is an actual measured value.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

One Ping wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:46 pm Do they make 3- way LED bulbs?

The kind that would replace the old 60/75/150 W incandescents. I remember looking a (long?) while ago and didn't find any.
Yes; I just got one last month at Lowes. It is a bit weird, the highest output is the middle setting. Not a big deal but change of habit.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I really like my LED bulbs. I replaced most of my frequently used can lights with them 8-9 years ago, and they’ve been great.

I really do like a lot of light. So I tend to leave them on a lot of the time.... my father would cringe..... but they are so cheap to run.

My favorite thing about them, is that they don’t create a lot of heat, and so it saves me some on my AC bill as well. The difference in comfort is noticeable to me, as I had about 13 60 watt bulbs pumping all that heat into my living spaces....

To me, they’re every bit as good as incandescent. And they are far far superior to fluorescent. I even replaced my fluorescent shop lights in the garage with LED equivalents.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:49 pm
What’s the application?
Prefer dim lights for some applications, e.g. use at night. Not sure if the current ones are 15w exactly or not. I just know that the lowest output LEDs at local stores were too bright.
I have lamps on my bedside tables and on a table by the sofa for those reasons. They are less powerful lights, so when I dim them they are very soft. Also, make sure your dimmer switches are the kind made for LEDs. I can dim my canister LEDs in my kitchen ceiling quite low.

Post by 000 »

LilyFleur wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:57 pm I have lamps on my bedside tables and on a table by the sofa for those reasons. They are less powerful lights, so when I dim them they are very soft.
Thanks. I assume this requires that the lamp have a dimmable fixture?
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:49 pm
What’s the application?
I don't like bright lights in the bedroom and some other places. Not sure if the current ones are 15w exactly or not. I just know that the lowest output LEDs at local stores were too bright.
If they’re bedside lamps with a standard base, a specialty bulb might work. Did you hunt around at Home Depot? Or use a darker lamp shade. Or an in-line dimmer. I use one with some table lamps in the living room. Works well.

Post by 000 »

marcwd wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 pm If they’re bedside lamps with a standard base, a specialty bulb might work. Did you hunt around at Home Depot? Or use a darker lamp shade. Or an in-line dimmer. I use one with some table lamps in the living room. Works well.
Lights for ceiling fixtures, which I only use at night and want the lowest sufficient light output to avoid "resetting" my eyes at night.

I have looked around at local stores and the lowest luminosity lights were only available as incandescent. I assumed if an LED alternative existed, they would be selling it, and gave up on looking.
onourway

Post by onourway »

sport wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:48 pm I have found that the LED bulbs tend to flicker when used with a dimmer switch, even though the package says "dimmable". Perhaps my dimmer switches need an upgrade.
Yes, you will need to upgrade the dimmer and have an LED that specifies that it is a dimming model.

We switched almost entirely to LED in 2012 when the Philips bulbs we chose as the best color/temperature/dimming capability etc. were $15-25 each. Every single one is still functional.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Costco has LED floods and certain size bulbs for about $1 each (on sale a few months ago). They work well with our existing Lutron dimmers. The box or website has a (long) list of compatible dimmers. No flickering unless you mix LEDs and incandescents on the same run.
squirm

Post by squirm »

RetiredAL wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:09 pm
You have to understand that California is known as Tax-afornia or Fee-afornia. Electric cost is influenced our the Carbon Tax.

Depending on time-of-day, it can be as high as $.38 in PGE territory. Earlier in the week during their power emergency, they were paying $600+/MW for power from outside the state. Solar doesn't cut it at 6pm and it's 100+ out. Saturday's and Sunday's outages were related to price caps and no one in authority was available to allow an override. On Monday, they overrode it and guess what - no outages.

Overall, on my electric bill delivery charge is several times the actual energy charge.

The state keeps forcing PGE to file bankruptcy. Bankruptcy resets their asset cost. PGE is allowed by the PUC to make so much return on their assets. PGE smiles all the way to the bank with the new rates.
Sister is in California. If you go over the pg&e baseline into tier 2 you'll hit 50c/kwh
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

000 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:03 pm
marcwd wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:59 pm If they’re bedside lamps with a standard base, a specialty bulb might work. Did you hunt around at Home Depot? Or use a darker lamp shade. Or an in-line dimmer. I use one with some table lamps in the living room. Works well.
Lights for ceiling fixtures, which I only use at night and want the lowest sufficient light output to avoid "resetting" my eyes at night.

I have looked around at local stores and the lowest luminosity lights were only available as incandescent. I assumed if an LED alternative existed, they would be selling it, and gave up on looking.
Try replacing your switches with dimmers. Lutron makes good ones.
One Ping

Post by One Ping »

jebmke wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:54 pm
One Ping wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:46 pm Do they make 3- way LED bulbs?

Yes; I just got one last month at Lowes. It is a bit weird, the highest output is the middle setting. Not a big deal but change of habit.
So it's really a 60/150/75 W bulb? :?: :D
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:35 pm Instead of changing to LED light bulbs, I'd say: Turn off your damn lights!
Yes, when I was growing up, my father made damn sure we turned off the damn lights whenever we left a room. And 50 some years later I still do it.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

And yet we have blackouts because it is hot! Who knew that could happen.