Cord cutting 2020 - Youtube TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Willmunny

Cord cutting 2020 - Youtube TV

Post by Willmunny »

I am moving soon and I would like this to be the last cable box I own. The problem is I am a live sports fan and I want to keep ESPN and other sports networks. It looks like Youtube TV has what I want in terms of channels. I could use that along with an Amazon Fire Stick. The $65 per month is less than I am paying now for Cable. If you have tried it, I would be interested in your thoughts on the service. Thanks
bob60014

Re: Cord cutting 2020 - Youtube TV

Post by bob60014 »

There are several prior threads regarding this. Use to search function to find them all. Here is a recent one.

viewtopic.php?t=315966
Ryzen

Post by Ryzen »

It works good, picture quality is decent (slightly below DirectTV but well above Uverse), apps are easy to use and available on all the platforms we use (PS4, iOS, Android, Roku), and everything works seamlessly between devices. I would never go back to the cable company and I will definitely never, ever get a satellite dish on my house.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

I use Hulu+live tv. I know you were specifically asking about YouTube, but just wanted to throw out a different option. I’ve been very happy with the setup. It also includes live sports and even keeps the most recent game, so I can watch the last Cubs game at my leisure. Built in Roku to the tv. Works great. Love it.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

As expensive as YouTube tv is I would check in your new area if the cable companies are running any new customer specials, especially with internet bundled. These can be really cheap and if you keep calling they often will keep giving you good deals. If they don't and YouTube tv or another service is cheaper then go for that.
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

I started with Hulu live, they bumped up the price and I changed to YouTube tv. I like YouTube much better. I have fewer issues and the unlimited dvr is better than Hulu. I am like you and wanted all the sports channels, with cable those add ons jacked up the price. YouTube TV ended up being the cheapest even with their recent increase in price. If you have a smart TV, which you probably have, you don’t need the fire stick. Every market is different, so shop around.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I've used Sling, AT&T TV Now, and YouTube TV. I would rank them:

1. Youtube
2. AT&T
3. Sling

Sling is especially unreliable and hitches all the time when I play back on my Chromecast.
jtdavid

Post by jtdavid »

I've had pretty good luck with Youtube TV. I recommend it.
Ryzen

Post by Ryzen »

Nate79 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:17 am As expensive as YouTube tv is I would check in your new area if the cable companies are running any new customer specials, especially with internet bundled. These can be really cheap and if you keep calling they often will keep giving you good deals. If they don't and YouTube tv or another service is cheaper then go for that.
I would recommend against doing this. One thing these companies are doing these days are 2 year contracts with 1 year teaser rates. Also, the advertised price does NOT include any of the extra "fees" (hidden price) that are tacked onto bills. Spectrum, for example, charges an extra $13.50 for "broadcast TV surcharge" which is not included in the advertised price, plus fees for DVRs.
J295

Post by J295 »

Have had YouTube TV for a while now. Very good for us. All the sports covered.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

We like YTTV. Especially the unlimited capacity of the DVR function.

For example, that’s allowed us to accumulate all 20 seasons of the original Law and Order series. Several cable channels (WETV, BBC America) binge-telecast the series, and YTTV picks all of the shows up. Then, YTTV sorts the episodes into proper order automatically. You can easily speed through commercials.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Stinky wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:51 am We like YTTV. Especially the unlimited capacity of the DVR function.

For example, that’s allowed us to accumulate all 20 seasons of the original Law and Order series. Several cable channels (WETV, BBC America) binge-telecast the series, and YTTV picks all of the shows up. Then, YTTV sorts the episodes into proper order automatically. You can easily speed through commercials.
+1. Lve the DVR functionality which also allows you to pause a show if necessary. Selection of shows is great.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I love YTTV and have had it now for several years. My only complaint is that they have raised the price pretty substantially in the last 2 years. They have added a lot more channels, but unfortunately nothing I am interested in.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Ryzen wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:43 am
Nate79 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:17 am As expensive as YouTube tv is I would check in your new area if the cable companies are running any new customer specials, especially with internet bundled. These can be really cheap and if you keep calling they often will keep giving you good deals. If they don't and YouTube tv or another service is cheaper then go for that.
I would recommend against doing this. One thing these companies are doing these days are 2 year contracts with 1 year teaser rates. Also, the advertised price does NOT include any of the extra "fees" (hidden price) that are tacked onto bills. Spectrum, for example, charges an extra $13.50 for "broadcast TV surcharge" which is not included in the advertised price, plus fees for DVRs.
Well, this is certainly not universally true. But regardless
I would be happy to lock in a lower rate if it beats the other options. We only have Comcast internet and was happy to lock in a low contract rate. And no hidden extra fees. They will give an all in promotional price. And if we wanted to add a cable package it would also be cheaper than YTTV all in price.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

We did the free trial plus another month - the service is very good but too expensive. We might try Philo next, it's only $20 but doesn't include sports.
GR8FUL-D

Post by GR8FUL-D »

arf30 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:52 am We did the free trial plus another month - the service is very good but too expensive. We might try Philo next, it's only $20 but doesn't include sports.
I signed up for a free 2 week trial but just couldn't deal w/ all the commercials; $65/month AND I have to watch commercials?!? No thanks...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (cord cutting).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

From a dollars and cents perspective, cable is cheaper than YTTV. The price hike they recently did made me question if I wanted to switch back. I stayed with YTTV and pay more for a few reasons:

1. It is a superior solution. Everything works perfectly and is seemless. Cable would require an ancient box unless I wanted to upgrade to their premium solution.
2. Integration. I can watch recorded tv on my phone, another TV or anything that can download the app.
3. Not having to deal with big telecom. It’s not worth saving $10/mo if I have to argue with them about rate hikes. No hardware rental nonsense either.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I have friends that split a YTTV sub and seem to love it.

As a home theater person, my personal concern is about the lack of Dolby Digital. YTTV only broadcasts in stereo sound apparently.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Go Blue 99 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:20 pm I have friends that split a YTTV sub and seem to love it.

As a home theater person, my personal concern is about the lack of Dolby Digital. YTTV only broadcasts in stereo sound apparently.
NVIDIA has a solution.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/

I still use a ROKU, which has some Dolby features.
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

The picture quality is great and it does get the local sports channels. The unlimited DVR is a great feature.

The only downside I see to YouTubeTV is if you have a provider that has data caps. I know people that have Cox and others on Comcast. The people on Cox have come quite close to hitting the limit of 1280GB per month which would result in a ridiculous charge of $10/50GB. Normally that would not be a problem, but with COVID and everyone home working and watching TV using 40+GB of bandwidth per day is easily possible.

If you're on Frontier, Verizon, AT&T, Charter, RCN or another provider without a data cap, then you're all set.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

regularguy455 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:24 pm From a dollars and cents perspective, cable is cheaper than YTTV. The price hike they recently did made me question if I wanted to switch back. I stayed with YTTV and pay more for a few reasons:

1. It is a superior solution. Everything works perfectly and is seemless. Cable would require an ancient box unless I wanted to upgrade to their premium solution.
2. Integration. I can watch recorded tv on my phone, another TV or anything that can download the app.
3. Not having to deal with big telecom. It’s not worth saving $10/mo if I have to argue with them about rate hikes. No hardware rental nonsense either.
I have a TV package but with no Xfinity hardware.
1) Everything just works. No ancient cable box. No premium service cost.
2) I can watch recorded TV on any device. The most utilized device is probably my phone, followed by the TV via Roku.
3) Have had no problems myself with big telecom for almost 20 years -about when competitors started creeping in. I rent no hardware as I am using my own modem, router and Roku along with phones, tablets, computers, & large screen monitors.

Cost for 200 Mbps plus 150+ channels is only $20 more (including all taxes and fees) than cost for 75 Mbps internet. If I do nothing at the end of a year, cost will go up $30 or the TV package will be $50 a month effectively. But, with no hardware to return, I just cancel the TV service for a week with a 1 minute chat session, sometimes for a time when we will not be home anyway. I can then “upgrade” back to where I am at the new promo rate, no bargaining needed.

One downside, I think there are some live broadcast channels that are only available when connected to my home internet. Though, I think I ran into some type geographic restrictions on broadcast when traveling with other streaming services as well. Not something I have tried to do much so not sure if details.

About 5 years ago, I had cut out Xfinity because of cable boxes, high costs, and having to negotiate for better pricing. Have tried most of the streaming services. But, the last few years, Xfinity has had the best product for us during the stretches of time when we want live TV.
Last edited by Katietsu on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

We have ATT Now. Has hallmark for the wife, Nick jr. for the kids & espn and regional sports network for me. It’s cheaper than YouTube TV at $55.

We have the grandfathered plan at $45 with even more channels, but that’s not available any more.

YouTube TV is good if it has the channels you want. Didn’t like Hulu.
Last edited by Monsterflockster on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

rockstar wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:22 pm
Go Blue 99 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:20 pm I have friends that split a YTTV sub and seem to love it.

NVIDIA has a solution.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/
I still use a ROKU, which has some Dolby features.
I’ll check that out, thanks.
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor »

YouTube works for me: sports like SEC channel and Tennis Channel. Plus local TV as we live too far from city to use antenna.
dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver »

I returned two cable boxes at my local UPS store. They have the boxes for the device. They scanned the cable boxes and returned it to Spectrum free of charge. I got my 6 day free trial of YoutubeTV prior to the return of the boxes.

We love it. I offers unlimited storage of any programming for up to 9 months. I don't like the 30% increase in monthly but it's still worth it for us. Channel selection is great for us. We love sports and the offerings are numerous. I recommend it.
RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie »

Willmunny wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:50 am I am moving soon and I would like this to be the last cable box I own. The problem is I am a live sports fan and I want to keep ESPN and other sports networks. It looks like Youtube TV has what I want in terms of channels. I could use that along with an Amazon Fire Stick. The $65 per month is less than I am paying now for Cable. If you have tried it, I would be interested in your thoughts on the service. Thanks
Hulu has a bundle with ESPN right now. Seems pretty good so far.

Might be nice to do the free trial and form your own opinions.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Willmunny wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:50 am I am moving soon and I would like this to be the last cable box I own. The problem is I am a live sports fan and I want to keep ESPN and other sports networks. It looks like Youtube TV has what I want in terms of channels. I could use that along with an Amazon Fire Stick. The $65 per month is less than I am paying now for Cable. If you have tried it, I would be interested in your thoughts on the service. Thanks
We switched to YouTube TV a few months ago and really like it. We got rid of all of our cable equipment and are saving about $40/month. Love the unlimited DVR. I am also a big sports fan and YTTV had the best combination fo channels for what I watch (Golf, all the ESPNs, B-Ten Network, SEC Network , ACC Network, etc.). We have had a few instances where I've gotten a playback error message and I've had to uninstall and reinstall the app on my Firestick. Once you get used to the different interface, it's pretty easy to maneuver around.
Last edited by MDfan on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

regularguy455 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:24 pm From a dollars and cents perspective, cable is cheaper than YTTV. The price hike they recently did made me question if I wanted to switch back. I stayed with YTTV and pay more for a few reasons:

Cable definitely was not cheaper for us once you added in the DVRs and premium channels. We're about $40/month less now with all of the same premiums.