Hobbies that cost $$

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Shorty

Hobbies that cost $$

Post by Shorty »

Will anyone here admit to hobbies they enjoy that cost money? I expect this crowd to say, "walking", "golfing", and "counting NW".

Me: Collecting old Poker Chips (expensive), Biking (cheap), photography (extremely varied), being judgmental on the Internet (priceless).
confusedinvestor

Re: Hobbies that cost $$

Post by confusedinvestor »

1. Takeouts 4 times a week
2. 6 Out of town trips a year
3. Hanging out w y'all everyday.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

Shorty wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:13 pm Will anyone here admit to hobbies they enjoy that cost money? I expect this crowd to say, "walking", "golfing", and "counting NW".

Me: Collecting old Poker Chips (expensive), Biking (cheap), photography (extremely varied), being judgmental on the Internet (priceless).
1. Music (depends, but my instruments and equipment are expensive)
2. Other things that are loud and expensive 🤐
VTSAX and chill
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Sailing. I don't have a boat, and sailing where I live with friends is not expensive, but I travel for several weeks every year to go sailing in new international locales.
cogito

Post by cogito »

All of my hobbies are cheap by bogleheads standards, but maybe not so much by the general population.

Homebrewing
3d Printing
Mountaing Biking/Powerlifting/Running

My least expensive hobby is noodling around the online world of financial optimization, in all of its forms.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Yeah, I play a lot of golf. Or, to put it another way, I work so be able to afford to play golf. I save for retirement so I'll have money for golf when I'm no longer working.

I kid. Slightly.
confusedinvestor wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:24 pm 3. Hanging out w y'all everyday.
Finally, someone who doesn't think I'm a cheap date!
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Canopus

Hobbies that cost $$

Post by Canopus »

Upon retirement, I brought my childhood Lionel model trains out of storage. I was more-or-less content with my old rolling stock, but then I became enamored with adding additional cars, locomotives, figures, etc.

I've been able to find real bargains at estate sales, garage sales, Facebook Marketplace, etc. The key is patience. There are many opportunities to pick up items for very little if one is willing to seek out these sales and negotiate price.

So, to riff off the title of this discussion thread, my hobby hasn't cost me $$, but instead it has cost me $.

Canopus
Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 »

Model Railroading.

This was my dad's hobby back in the 1960s. We have HO gauge and I thought I'd resurrect it in my retirement.
Finding upgrading 1960s vintage rolling stock and locomotives is almost as expensive as buying new stock.
Layouts are never complete and constantly evolving and expanding = spending more money.
Think it may have been a mistake but I'm in too deep now.
Getting to the point where I may need a bigger house or house with full basement or attic.

I read somewhere that in order for a hobby to be meaningful, it has to consume you.

Maybe I should have taken up golf instead? But my friends tells me it gets more expensive as you get better at it.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Homebrewing is neither complicated nor expensive. It is up to the homebrewer to make it as complicated and expensive as one's spouse will allow.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

/*Begin Story
I had a guy who worked for me as a programmer who was the son of a famous comedian of the 1920's & 1930's.

I was talking to him one day about automobile racing, saying that I was thinking about getting a Porsche and doing time trials and autocross events, but I probably wouldn't because it would cost too much.

He said: "car racing--low cost. You want expensive, try racing airplanes."
"Really?"
"Why do you think I am working?"
*/End Story
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

Fishing in the Florida Keys
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I confess that I spent $140 on a new pickleball paddle a few weeks ago. And $10 on a 3-pack of pickleball balls.

I waited until the edge guard on my old paddle couldn't be repaired before I spent that much money on a new paddle. We all get to choose how we spend our money. Some of us don't like to spend more money than necessary, even when we can easily afford to do so.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Van

Post by Van »

Very expensive: anything equestrian.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Airplanes.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

I may or may not have spent north of $300 on a new hand plane and saw. Repeatedly. Also, hardwood is really expensive.

But at the end of the day the wife gets some nice furniture for the house.
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

I’m currently shopping for a bow to get into hunting.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I don't do it anymore, but for years was an auto roadracer. There was a common saying that car racing is like heroin, except more expensive and more addictive. I did it on a budget, running a former SCCA IT car. The money was in the tow vehicle, trailer and track day expenses. The car was very good on expendables. At 1600 pounds, tires lasted a season and brakes many seasons.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Equestrian Dressage Horses

Large acreage
2 German Warmblood horses
Riding Arena
Round pen
Stables with enclosed tack room
English Tack (bitless bridles, no spurs)
Farm Equipment for grounds and arena maintenance.
Daily grooming
Hoof massages

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I have a friend that builds and races vintage street rods and drag race cars, trailers to car shows and meets.

Huge expense compared to Dressage Horses.
j🌺
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Clever_Username wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:51 pm Yeah, I play a lot of golf. Or, to put it another way, I work so be able to afford to play golf. I save for retirement so I'll have money for golf when I'm no longer working.

I kid. Slightly.
confusedinvestor wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:24 pm 3. Hanging out w y'all everyday.
Finally, someone who doesn't think I'm a cheap date!
+1
Also a lifetime pastime.
Private and resort courses are no longer inexpensive even with club rates.

Any day on the grass is a good day.
(Tee time green)
j🌺
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Renovating our home has probably reached hobby status. Renovations cost us 7 digits. We probably will never recoup the expense, but what a great place to quarantine and age in place. :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

I love to drive and just picked up a 1996 Porsche 911 as a second car. It cost about 3 months of salary. Paid cash, still on track to save 40% of income this year even with taking into account a COVID payout of about 15%. I have no plans to ever sell this car. No regrets.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:11 am Renovating our home has probably reached hobby status. Renovations cost us 7 digits. We probably will never recoup the expense, but what a great place to quarantine and age in place. :D
+1
Forgot about this one.
Tremendous rewards!
Huge $$$$$$$.

j :happy
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Thread has run its course (not actionable).
If you aren't sure if a topic you are about to post is OK, ask yourself whether it is related to a consumer issue, personal and actionable. By actionable, I mean whether you will potentially be able to use the information to better utilize your time or money. Personal means it must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.