single women retirement suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sil2017

single women retirement suggestions

Post by sil2017 »

After the covid situation stabilizes, I plan to leave California and retire oversees or at least live in one country for up to 6 months at a time.

I have done initial research and several places come to mind: Lisbon, Barcelona, Paris and Chaing Mai

I have traveled in all the above 4 cities on vacation .

I am not concern about the cost of living. However, i would like a place where there will be single expats I can meet so I am not truly alone, good health care, politically stable, mild weather, and safe.

What would you recommend? It doesn't have to be the 4 i have stated.

TIA
VictoriaF

Re: single women retirement suggestions

Post by VictoriaF »

If you think that you will mostly communicate with other expats, it's probably worthwhile to go to a country where most expats don't know the local language and where local services, e.g., medical services, are available in English. I have not been to Thailand, but it probably fits this description.

In Spain there are many English people who don't speak Spanish, but they mostly socialize with other English people.

If you move to a foreign city for a good length of time, you can start by taking language classes and will meet people there. But the demographics of these people may not work for you: some will work day jobs, some will be married, some will be too young or too old for you. The best way to meet people is to have common interests.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

What are the specific things you like about the 4 places?

Since cost of living is not an issue, how about Amsterdam, Singapore, Taipei, Hanoi, Basel/Zurich, any city in New Zealand?
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

My brother lived in Chaing Mai for many years until he passed 15 years ago. At that time, visas were only for 90 days so he made border runs to Cambodia(I think) to renew. There is a one year visa but it costs extra.

https://www.thailandelite.com/

As of 15 years ago, medical care there was basic at best. I have stories to tell. For serious issues, A trip to Bangkok Was required. I spent a months with my brother at Bumrungrad hospital. Good care at good pricing but the way they collected every few days was odd.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
flowerpower

Post by flowerpower »

Having traveled as a single female, I recommend you consider how you will meet people and avoid becoming lonely. I would often do an Airbnb but feel lonesome. I was much happier when I started staying at hostels and was happy to find a mix of ages.

Great retirement plan.. I may just have to follow your footsteps!
celia

Post by celia »

If you search for variations of: where do most American expats live?
you will see many answers.

I'd also take my interests/hobbies into account, such as seeing nature, art, volunteering, classes, cooking, to name a few.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

I very much enjoyed living in Tokyo, very safe for single and older people, excellent health care, large english speaking expat community. Have you considered Sydney/Melbourne, Scotland, Ireland, Canada or London are also nice, with large cities, health care, english spoken.
Helios

Post by Helios »

Singapore was mentioned, and would an ideal spot. Low on crime and corruption. English everywhere, lots to do.
You owe it to yourself to visit there.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

If you want a lot of English-speaking expats and a mild climate, you should focus on coastal cities in Spain and Portugal. Barcelona and Lisbon are fine, but there are many other coastal cities in both countries. Lots of British expats in all those cities.
janie57

Post by janie57 »

Chiang Mai would not be what I consider mild weather...maybe you were there in a perfect time of year?
Moreover, it is a place of blatant child sex slavery and trafficking. This is current information. This is participated in by the parents due to the average yearly income being less than 500/yr. A daughter can be sold for a year's wages. The culture and value of the female in the family is archaic at best.
It may be lush and green and "exotic" but certainly not civilized. For me, I would have to embrace the place I live, even for 6 months of a year. Never could I embrace such a culture and criminal abuse. I would suggest a very deep dive to learn the ways of life anywhere you consider. And as others have said, the availability of modern-day healthcare would be very questionable in my mind.

Good luck with the search.
Last edited by janie57 on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing to look into is what you will need to do to give up your California tax domicile so you do not need to pay California taxes. I do not know how big of an issue that would be for you but people have posted that California can be aggressive about trying to claim that you are still required to pay California taxes if you don't cut all your ties with California.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Watty wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:38 pm One thing to look into is what you will need to do to give up your California tax domicile so you do not need to pay California taxes. I do not know how big of an issue that would be for you but people have posted that California can be aggressive about trying to claim that you are still required to pay California taxes if you don't cut all your ties with California.
People do post that however it's simply not true. Move to Reno, NV for a few months. Get a driver license, local doctor, make sure your banks are not in CA, register to vote in NV, file final tax return with CA. People move all the time from and to California. I have had several friends move and nary a problem. It's just raised as a big scary monster in the dark story. In lieu of NV, pick FL or TX.

Post by 000 »

Maybe try some other places in the US first? Plenty of politically stable, safe places with good healthcare, weather and low cost of living.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

palanzo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:13 pm
Watty wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:38 pm One thing to look into is what you will need to do to give up your California tax domicile so you do not need to pay California taxes. I do not know how big of an issue that would be for you but people have posted that California can be aggressive about trying to claim that you are still required to pay California taxes if you don't cut all your ties with California.
People do post that however it's simply not true. Move to Reno, NV for a few months. Get a driver license, local doctor, make sure your banks are not in CA, register to vote in NV, file final tax return with CA. People move all the time from and to California. I have had several friends move and nary a problem. It's just raised as a big scary monster in the dark story. In lieu of NV, pick FL or TX.
It is only scary if you don't cut ties to CA. Things like keeping your house and the like get looked into. But yeah if you get up and move it isn't an issue. And if your income is moderate CA taxes aren't really that bad. The whole system is very progressive and isn't until you start hitting the higher incomes of 60k+ that you get nailed by the high rates. That being said I would find a no tax state just to avoid the paperwork...
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

randomguy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 pm
It is only scary if you don't cut ties to CA. Things like keeping your house and the like get looked into. But yeah if you get up and move it isn't an issue. And if your income is moderate CA taxes aren't really that bad. The whole system is very progressive and isn't until you start hitting the higher incomes of 60k+ that you get nailed by the high rates. That being said I would find a no tax state just to avoid the paperwork...
Completely agree. Yes I forgot one - sell your house - as you pointed out. You're right about the progressive nature of CA taxes. They are not that bad. However, property taxes may be bad. If one wants to spend most of one's time overseas it does not make sense to stay in CA, unless there are family ties or one plans to return.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

You might find the forum below to be useful, there is an international section:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

palanzo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:35 pm
Completely agree. Yes I forgot one - sell your house - as you pointed out. You're right about the progressive nature of CA taxes. They are not that bad. However, property taxes may be bad. If one wants to spend most of one's time overseas it does not make sense to stay in CA, unless there are family ties or one plans to return.
I plan to sell my house early next year and move to either Washington (my sister has a house there) or Florida for change in domicile.

As far as being a part year CA resident next year, is it best to change domicile the last week of the month as I have a pension check which i receive the first day of the month for my previous month pension?

I have traveled extensively and have vacationed the above places recommended but had not thought about retiring there till now.

Excellent and reasonable rate health care would be the most important. I will be paying on my own. I do not plan to have health insurance coverage in the USA

I need a new chapter in my life. Never been married and a choice of mine. Friends passing away from cancer and my best friend is dying from cancer now....I am now in the 2 comma club and heading higher. I am still in good health for my age. I retired early.

I just want to live my fullest and experience culture while i am still very healthy...Last year, i hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro so i guess i am still in good shape.

Thanks for all the responses. I will research all the cities recommended. Meeting other retired expats is important for me as i will be solo. But I can just be as happy with adventurous traveling solo near the city i will retire.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

BlackcatCA wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:06 pm What are the specific things you like about the 4 places?

Since cost of living is not an issue, how about Amsterdam, Singapore, Taipei, Hanoi, Basel/Zurich, any city in New Zealand?
Saw a youtube from a woman recommending the 4 places for solo women retiring abroad. She had mentioned the 4 as it is easy to meet other retired expats, safe to live and plenty to do.

New Zealand sounds interesting. I love the outdoors - hiking, swimming, biking
Singapore- been mentioned many times . I know it has excellent health care
Hanoi- I want to stay away from Vietnam....When i was there i saw a horrible site. I am a dog lover.
Taipei- wasn't too impressed when i vacationed there so probably don't want to retire there.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:37 am You might find the forum below to be useful, there is an international section:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/
Thanks for the link. Will check.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

Even if i did not plan to retired abroad, I would leave CA. I have several stocks with gains which I would like to sell next year. I rather not pay CA taxes for this. I am already being hit with high taxes this year from short term capital gains (stock) Besides, CA has become too liberal for me.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

BogleFan510 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:30 pm I very much enjoyed living in Tokyo, very safe for single and older people, excellent health care, large english speaking expat community. Have you considered Sydney/Melbourne, Scotland, Ireland, Canada or London are also nice, with large cities, health care, english spoken.
Tokyo- how much does it cost for healthcare?
Sydney/Melbourne - yes, i was there last November.
Scotland- maybe a bit too cold for me
Ireland- probably too cold..never been but would love to vacation there
Canada- grew up in Canada so I am always able to live here
London- too cold but i love London. I can never be bored.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

flowerpower wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:16 pm Having traveled as a single female, I recommend you consider how you will meet people and avoid becoming lonely. I would often do an Airbnb but feel lonesome. I was much happier when I started staying at hostels and was happy to find a mix of ages.

Great retirement plan.. I may just have to follow your footsteps!
When i travel solo, i sometimes stay in hostel to meet others. However, this time, it is not a "vacation" but a plan for retirement so I probably would rent.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

VictoriaF wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 pm If you think that you will mostly communicate with other expats, it's probably worthwhile to go to a country where most expats don't know the local language and where local services, e.g., medical services, are available in English. I have not been to Thailand, but it probably fits this description.

In Spain there are many English people who don't speak Spanish, but they mostly socialize with other English people.

If you move to a foreign city for a good length of time, you can start by taking language classes and will meet people there. But the demographics of these people may not work for you: some will work day jobs, some will be married, some will be too young or too old for you. The best way to meet people is to have common interests.

Victoria
Yes....i plan to take a language class to meet others. Spain and Portugal are the two I am leaning to. Pretty much the same climate as Southern CA.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

sil2017 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:13 am
I plan to sell my house early next year and move to either Washington (my sister has a house there) or Florida for change in domicile.

As far as being a part year CA resident next year, is it best to change domicile the last week of the month as I have a pension check which i receive the first day of the month for my previous month pension?

I have traveled extensively and have vacationed the above places recommended but had not thought about retiring there till now.

Excellent and reasonable rate health care would be the most important. I will be paying on my own. I do not plan to have health insurance coverage in the USA

I need a new chapter in my life. Never been married and a choice of mine. Friends passing away from cancer and my best friend is dying from cancer now....I am now in the 2 comma club and heading higher. I am still in good health for my age. I retired early.

I just want to live my fullest and experience culture while i am still very healthy...Last year, i hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro so i guess i am still in good shape.

Thanks for all the responses. I will research all the cities recommended. Meeting other retired expats is important for me as i will be solo. But I can just be as happy with adventurous traveling solo near the city i will retire.
You seem like an active person. If I were you I would consider somewhere in Europe due easy access to just SO much. Hiking, biking, group tours, solo tours etc. Thailand is too hot and humid for my taste.

While a little chaotic, Greece can be a good temperate place also.

But I have to pick I would consider Barcelona, Lisbon, London, Dublin.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

Theseus wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:47 am

You seem like an active person. If I were you I would consider somewhere in Europe due easy access to just SO much. Hiking, biking, group tours, solo tours etc. Thailand is too hot and humid for my taste.

While a little chaotic, Greece can be a good temperate place also.

But I have to pick I would consider Barcelona, Lisbon, London, Dublin.
I am leaning towards Spain or Portugal for 8 to 9 months of the year. Then in the Winter months, spend the remaining time in Chiang Mai as a base. When i was in Chiang Mai, I thought about volunteering at an elephant sanctuary. I can easily take a flight to near by countries if I am bored.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

000 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:22 pm Maybe try some other places in the US first? Plenty of politically stable, safe places with good healthcare, weather and low cost of living.
In the last 3 years of retirement, I have searched every place possible to retire outside of CA. I have not come up with even one place.

Do you know of any? Weather is my main concern.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Australia, mate! Easily the friendliest country on the planet. Spent a lot of time there. Not any city that was not great. On my first business trip to Sydney was dining alone at the bar. By the end of the evening, I had eight new best friends and an invite to a wedding reception that weekend.
Punta Cana DR

Post by Punta Cana DR »

Ecuador is liked by many. They are on the US Dollar and the Pacific has S. Cal weather with good healthcare at reasonable price.
grilli

Post by grilli »

There are lots of good suggestions on this thread. Uruguay is another possibility in South America. Like many others, I think Spain and Portugal are worth close consideration, and there are areas with expats outside Lisbon and Barcelona (it might actually be easier to meet people outside the biggest cities). Depends on what you like.

However, you also have to consider immigration regulations. You can't just move to places like Australia or Spain or Singapore. Staying over 6 months will be a problem almost anywhere. And to take advantage of local health services you will need to establish residency -- there is huge variation in how easy (or difficult or impossible) this is to do (both the requirements themselves and dealing with the bureaucracy to navigate them). There can also be tax consequences to establishing residency in another country.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

sil2017 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:02 am
000 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:22 pm Maybe try some other places in the US first? Plenty of politically stable, safe places with good healthcare, weather and low cost of living.
In the last 3 years of retirement, I have searched every place possible to retire outside of CA. I have not come up with even one place.

If weather is your main concern, then California.

There are five places in the world that have the Mediterranean climate.
1) The actual Mediterranean. Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Malta, North Africa, etc.
2) California
3) The central coast of Chile
4) Around Cape Town, South Africa
5) The southwestern Australia coast

Also, if part of the reason you’re leaving California is the politics, keep in mind that the politics in developed countries with stable democracies and good healthcare around the world are often more liberal than much of the US. You have to decide whether that’s going to be a problem for you or not.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Outer Marker wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:37 am Australia, mate! Easily the friendliest country on the planet. Spent a lot of time there. Not any city that was not great. On my first business trip to Sydney was dining alone at the bar. By the end of the evening, I had eight new best friends and an invite to a wedding reception that weekend.
Are you a single woman nearing retirement?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:48 am
Outer Marker wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:37 am Australia, mate! Easily the friendliest country on the planet. Spent a lot of time there. Not any city that was not great. On my first business trip to Sydney was dining alone at the bar. By the end of the evening, I had eight new best friends and an invite to a wedding reception that weekend.
Fair point, but friendly people are friendly people!
The Stone Wall

Post by The Stone Wall »

Before settling on a place, either the Spanish or Portuguese routes of the Camino de Santiago might be enlightening in many ways.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:46 am

1) The actual Mediterranean. Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Malta, North Africa, etc.
2) California

Also, if part of the reason you’re leaving California is the politics, keep in mind that the politics in developed countries with stable democracies and good healthcare around the world are often more liberal than much of the US. You have to decide whether that’s going to be a problem for you or not.
That's a really good point...the legislative philosophy, criminal/gun control laws, social programs and many other facets of society are markedly different - not that I'm mentioning anything you don't already know as a seasoned traveler. But Quant and Hold was the first to bring this up.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:48 am

I retired just over 3 years ago. Early retirement as I rather have more time and freedom to enjoy life than to work several years more for a higher defined benefit pension.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

The Stone Wall wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:02 am Before settling on a place, either the Spanish or Portuguese routes of the Camino de Santiago might be enlightening in many ways.
I definitely plan to do this. I saw it on Rick Steves or some other travel show.

There are many things i want to do before my time is up. Not that it is going to happen anytime soon as I am very physically and mentally healthy at 59.

It is just that i have witnessed many close friends and relatives dying of cancer or have alzheimer at a very young age, as young as 54 years old. In fact, my best friend is dying from Prostate Cancer stage 4........It makes one wonder what is meaningful in life and how short a journey we all have.

All the money or any material possession can never buy one's life back or prevent one from losing his/her life.
Last edited by sil2017 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

2) California

Thanks very much for the five places with Mediterranean climate.

Europe or Southwestern Australia coast seem the best. I never made it to Perth in November 2019. However i did visit Uluru for the 3 days 2 night camping trip. On the Uluru trip , I met a UK lady , about 30 years younger than me. We hit it off very well and are good friends. Supposedly, we were going to meet in New Zealand for a 2 week adventure in October 2020. Due to covid, we had to cancel the trip.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

Punta Cana DR wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:40 am Ecuador is liked by many. They are on the US Dollar and the Pacific has S. Cal weather with good healthcare at reasonable price.
Never thought of Ecuador. Will do some research.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I would not consider Thailand politically stable: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/20/why-doe ... coups.html
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

As far as changing domicile you would need to look carefully at CA tax regulations. I believe you would have to sever all ties and establish residence in WA or FL before you could claim the date of change of residence.

Portugal has excellent health care and its cost is reasonable (certainly by US standards). After 12 months you are also eligible for national health care.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

sil2017 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:47 am

2) California

Thanks very much for the five places with Mediterranean climate.

Europe or Southwestern Australia coast seem the best. I never made it to Perth in November 2019. However i did visit Uluru for the 3 days 2 night camping trip. On the Uluru trip , I met a UK lady , about 30 years younger than me. We hit it off very well and are good friends. Supposedly, we were going to meet in New Zealand for a 2 week adventure in October 2020. Due to covid, we had to cancel the trip.
The list of 5 places is a good start but it is too broad. For example, large parts of Spain have a climate quite unlike CA (Northern or Southern) and much more like Phoenix. Ever been to Madrid in Summer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Köppen_cl ... sification

Take a look at the climate maps near the bottom of the article. There are also some interactive maps online if you want to delve further. Bottom line is there are only a few slivers of the world with a climate like CA and when we say CA we really mean coastal CA. Consider the Central Valley and Sacramento.
frequentT

Post by frequentT »

It sounds like your best fit is in the Mediterranean area you have targeted. Having Paris on your list suggests that you are open to France, so Nice and Montpelier are possibilities to consider: Both have a lot to offer.

Post by 000 »

Almost any mid-sized city in the South, Midwest, or Hawaii would seem to fit.

But if the only kind of weather you want is west coast weather, then that answers your question.
Watty

Post by Watty »

You might want to rethink your plan of going somewhere to meet US(or english speaking) expatriates. The problem is that even if there are a lot of them there when you add up the number of expatriates in a huge city you might come up with the population of a very small town, if that. Many of them will be immersed in the local culture and can speak the language so they might not be all that interested in spending a lot of time with someone from the US. Many of them will also be in different phases of life and while you can certainly be friends with people that are much older or younger than you or who are married with kids that might limit how close you can get with them.

If you are looking to settle down somewhere then I think you should really look at english speaking countries first. That way in any good size city you would have millions of people that you could easily meet.

Other non-english speaking countries could still be fantastic to visit for an extended stay but settling in one of them would really require learning the language. Don't underestimate how hard that actually is because while you might be able to pick up the basic pronunciation and grammar in a few years it is a lot more difficult to learn enough to talk at a social level because of all the idioms, slang, and cultural references. If you want to do that then you need to be immersed in the language and not hanging out with expatriates who are speaking english.

Check out college towns. They often have good healthcare for a small city and the cost of living is often very reasonable especially if you are five miles or more from the college. They often also have at least some basic public transportation or Uber which may be important to you as you get older. The college students may be a bit liberal for your taste but the local population is often pretty conservative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ted_States

I have found that the weather is less of a concern now that I am retired since I have a lot more control of my schedule.

Where I am at there are about two hot months in the summer and when it snows in the winter it usually melts in a day or two. Some winters we basically get no snow accumulation with only a dusting of snow that quickly melts. When that happens I can just do things early in the day when it is hot, and in the winter if there is a bit of snow there is rarely any reason that I need to go anywhere there day.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Have you considered Mauritius, or Sri Lanka?
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I have thought about moving elsewhere, as I really loved Barcelona.

I worry, though, about being old and possibly hard of hearing and trying to communicate when quite ill to a doctor who speaks a different language.
Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

crinkles2 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:57 pm Have you considered Mauritius, or Sri Lanka?
Not interested in Sri Lanka other than for a short vacation and the Ministry of Crab restaurant in Colombo.....my favorite eatery!!!
Mauritius - will do a quick search
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

sil2017 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:35 am
Even if i did not plan to retired abroad, I would leave CA. I have several stocks with gains which I would like to sell next year. I rather not pay CA taxes for this. I am already being hit with high taxes this year from short term capital gains (stock) Besides, CA has become too liberal for me.
Since good weather is very important to you, and you like CA weather, I wouldn't leave just because of the taxes. There are very few places in the world with this kind of climate. The financial hit of the taxes isn't all that much, and giving up on living in an area you like during retirement to save a bit on taxes makes little sense to me - doesn't seem like a good trade-off.

Not sure what to make of the "liberal" stuff since I don't know how that would impact you, and, as others mentioned, the areas abroad you are considering in developed countries would actually be more "liberal".

As someone who lived close to half his life in other countries and traveled extensively, I have to say that I found that living abroad is challenging in many ways, and I wouldn't even consider living for a long time in a place where I didn't speak the language well, not to mention retiring there. There are a lot of practical problems with retiring abroad (including immigration, health insurance, and taxes, by the way). Adding the language barrier to that turns what is at best a difficult change into a problematic existence.
Last edited by visualguy on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJS

Post by MJS »

For weather like San Diego...
Málaga, Spain.
Canary Islands.
Sydney, Australia.
Loja, Ecuador.
Nice, France.

Unless you prefer Santa Barbara or Arcata?
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

MJS wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:25 pm For weather like San Diego...
Málaga, Spain.
Canary Islands.
Sydney, Australia.
Loja, Ecuador.
Nice, France.

Unless you prefer Santa Barbara or Arcata?
Sydney, Australia most definitely does not have weather like San Diego not even like Northern California.