Simplisafe in 2020

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

Simplisafe in 2020

Post by fareastwarriors »

What are your recommendations for alarm system? I had good experience with Simplisafe. There is no fixed contract, easy setup, reasonable monthly price, and I have been using it for many years. But nowadays there are more options like Ring and Nest and others.

I have a new place now and would like to install a new system. I'm leaning towards Simplisafe again since I'm familiar with it but open to suggestions.
anon_investor

Re: Simplisafe in 2020

Post by anon_investor »

fareastwarriors wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:44 pm What are your recommendations for alarm system? I had good experience with Simplisafe.
There is no contract, easy setup, and I have been using it for many years. But nowadays there are more options like Ring and Nest and others.

I have a new place now and would like to install a new system. I'm leaning towards Simplisafe again since I'm familiar with it but open to suggestions.
While I have Simplisafe and like it, I believe Ring is a lot cheaper for alarm service, so look into that.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

You could create a spreadsheet and do some price and feature comparisons to see what the best value is for you. I did this the last time I changed cell phone service, and ended up picking a carrier that everyone seems to think is expensive, but is cheap and full-featured for me.

I like Simplisafe. They have updates in technology every few years. Both plusses and minuses for that. The alarms I've occasionally had over five years (no unexplained alarms with their latest system) have been handled well by the dispatch center they use. The sign they give you to put out front deteriorates much too quickly in the SoCal summer sun. It may be better to put it in a window.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I am planning on Ring security with the $100 annual monitoring plan. I haven’t seen any major benefits to having simplisafe over Ring. Abode is another DIY system that has a good rep.
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

Go Blue 99 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:09 pm I am planning on Ring security with the $100 annual monitoring plan. I haven’t seen any major benefits to having simplisafe over Ring. Abode is another DIY system that has a good rep.
This is the site? https://goabode.com/

Never heard of them. Thanks.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

cnet had a table comparing the security of the wifi aspects of several systems.
https://www.cnet.com/news/home-security ... implisafe/

I'd be looking at the upfront costs as well as the monthly fees. We all know that often in business they get people to adopt a system at a low price point and then start jacking up the monthly/annual fees. And the more money you have invested in the system the less likely you want to change.

At least now there are more options than there were a few years ago.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

I bought Simplisafe because they promised HomeKit support was coming. That turned out to be a lie. I won’t fall for that trick again.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

Abode is awesome. I have them and regularly use their temp monitoring service while going away on vacation.
bitdocmd

Post by bitdocmd »

fareastwarriors wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:44 pm What are your recommendations for alarm system? I had good experience with Simplisafe. There is no fixed contract, easy setup, reasonable monthly price, and I have been using it for many years. But nowadays there are more options like Ring and Nest and others.

Look up “simplisafe hack” though this could be done with most wireless alarm systems. I believe some wireless systems are harder to jam due to frequency cycling but I haven’t done enough research to give any advice. I’m planning to use Ring with oodles of motion sensors for redundancy
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I'd be cautious with WiFi based alarm systems, they're easily jammed from inside a car a block away - but that's just me.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We have had simplisafe for almost 5 years in our new house. reliable and quick monitoring with no issues. But be aware for it to be functional usable system you need to upgrade to their $25/month plan.

If I had to do it again today I'd check into other systems like Ring and Nest. Monitoring costs for Ring are I think $120 per year and that's big savings over time versus $25/moth on Simplisafe.

I encourage folks who install a system to obtain and post yard signs (and window stickers) from an entirely different security system. There is only downside to advertising your specific system with yard sign, letting potential buglers know exactly what system you have installed. Alternative company and generic security system yard signs are readily available on ebay.
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:17 pm We have had simplisafe for almost 5 years in our new house. reliable and quick monitoring with no issues. But be aware for it to be functional usable system you need to upgrade to their $25/month plan.

If I had to do it again today I'd check into other systems like Ring and Nest. Monitoring costs for Ring are I think $120 per year and that's big savings over time versus $25/moth on Simplisafe.

I encourage folks who install a system to obtain and post yard signs (and window stickers) from an entirely different security system. There is only downside to advertising your specific system with yard sign, letting potential buglers know exactly what system you have installed. Alternative company and generic security system yard signs are readily available on ebay.
I have Simplisafe now but I called to downgrade from the $25 a month plan. They offered me $10 off per month for a year. :)
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

bitdocmd wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:48 pm
fareastwarriors wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:44 pm What are your recommendations for alarm system? I had good experience with Simplisafe. There is no fixed contract, easy setup, reasonable monthly price, and I have been using it for many years. But nowadays there are more options like Ring and Nest and others.

Look up “simplisafe hack” though this could be done with most wireless alarm systems. I believe some wireless systems are harder to jam due to frequency cycling but I haven’t done enough research to give any advice. I’m planning to use Ring with oodles of motion sensors for redundancy
I did read about the "hack" a while back like 3 - 4 years ago maybe. I would hope with the current generation they would have it patched by now... but I didn't check up on it again.
CriticalCareJunkie

Post by CriticalCareJunkie »

We have the nest alarm system and like it. My wife is really anti-tech and even she admits it’s easy to use. A big part of why we got it was because the house we bought already had all nest smoke detectors and thermostats. We have subsequently gotten the nest door bell and door lock.
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

CriticalCareJunkie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:55 pm We have the nest alarm system and like it. My wife is really anti-tech and even she admits it’s easy to use. A big part of why we got it was because the house we bought already had all nest smoke detectors and thermostats. We have subsequently gotten the nest door bell and door lock.
I wouldn't say I'm tech savvy but I'm okay. However I've gotten to the point where I just want things to work. No fuss, no muss.

Thanks for the Nest Alarm feedback. :happy
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:17 pm I encourage folks who install a system to obtain and post yard signs (and window stickers) from an entirely different security system. There is only downside to advertising your specific system with yard sign, letting potential buglers know exactly what system you have installed. Alternative company and generic security system yard signs are readily available on ebay.
In Los Angeles you are required by law to post the name and telephone number of your monitoring company visibly on the exterior of the property. However, that company may not be the same as the brand of alarm you installed, so there appears to be a compliant loophole.

And I sure hope those darn buglers don't break in before I get up in the morning! I had enough of that at summer camp! :P
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

fareastwarriors wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:50 pm I did read about the "hack" a while back like 3 - 4 years ago maybe. I would hope with the current generation they would have it patched by now... but I didn't check up on it again.
It's been fixed. Or so they say.
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

One other thing with Simplisafe...

If you choose to add cameras to your package, be aware that they do not work on 5GHz wifi. When we upgraded to mesh, we lost service on the Simplisafe cameras that ONLY work on 2.4GHz wifi.

Yes....there is a workaround that works for some.
Nope...didn't work for us.

I will be trying to call them to get the $10 off per month, though, so thanks to that poster for the idea.

When my son put in his system, he went with the Ring package and that works like a charm. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go that route.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

arf30 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:50 pm I'd be cautious with WiFi based alarm systems, they're easily jammed from inside a car a block away - but that's just me.
I would worry about the easy access to our cable connection behind our house.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

I've used Simplisafe now for a few years. My yard sign says ADT.

While I understand many want a system that they think will deter a break-in, that's not my main concern. If someone wants in our house, he/she will find a way, but will be disappointed to find we don't have much of anything valuable in it. A motivated thief will be long gone before any authorities are likely to show up, regardless of how much noise my alarm system is making.

The primary reason I like Simplisafe is because I can integrate water leak detectors and smoke alarms into it. I want to know if there's a fire or flood in my home when I'm away from it, and Simplisafe allows me to do that. I'm sure there are other systems that allow this as well, so I recommend choosing one that will give you this multi-functionality.
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

I'll going to try Ring. It's on sale right now too.
Thanks. :happy
Topic Author
fareastwarriors

It looks like Ring is having a 20% off sale.

Is the most cost effective way to just order a kit and add extras?
I'm thinking I need a Large 14-piece kit with probably 20 additional contact sensors.

Lots of big windows...
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

fareastwarriors wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:50 pm
bitdocmd wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:48 pm

I did read about the "hack" a while back like 3 - 4 years ago maybe. I would hope with the current generation they would have it patched by now... but I didn't check up on it again.

Recently systems were upgraded for free. I am glad I waited and now have the new system.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

tooluser wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:01 pm
jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:17 pm I encourage folks who install a system to obtain and post yard signs (and window stickers) from an entirely different security system. There is only downside to advertising your specific system with yard sign, letting potential buglers know exactly what system you have installed. Alternative company and generic security system yard signs are readily available on ebay.
In Los Angeles you are required by law to post the name and telephone number of your monitoring company visibly on the exterior of the property. However, that company may not be the same as the brand of alarm you installed, so there appears to be a compliant loophole.

And I sure hope those darn buglers don't break in before I get up in the morning! I had enough of that at summer camp! :P
What's the point of that law? To appease criminals?

I have alarm stickers on all of my exits, and I intentionally put a different alarm company on there.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Geneyus wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:18 am
tooluser wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:01 pm

What's the point of that law? To appease criminals?

I have alarm stickers on all of my exits, and I intentionally put a different alarm company on there.
I believe it's so the police (or firefighters) can be assured of communicating with the monitoring service when they arrive. Which is odd, because the monitoring service would be the ones who called the police in the first place. I guess this way the police dispatched to the scene don't have to write any contact information down. Like most laws, the reasoning behind them is never explained.
Skeksi

Post by Skeksi »

fareastwarriors wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:13 pm It looks like Ring is having a 20% off sale.

Is the most cost effective way to just order a kit and add extras?
I'm thinking I need a Large 14-piece kit with probably 20 additional contact sensors.

Lots of big windows...
That's what I did, easy install as well. You have 20 extra windows on your ground floor? I wouldn't wire any of my second or third story windows/doors. I only installed it on a walk out basement windows/doors and the first floor. If they are scaling my wall to get into my house, congratulations, you made it...except now, pass my dog!