Thinking of moving Seattle or Vancouver, WA

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
iamlucky13

Re: Thinking of moving Seattle or Vancouver, WA

Post by iamlucky13 »

Kennedy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:55 am Speaking of the western Washington weather, if you go a little further west of Vancouver, you'll find the Longbeach Peninsula. If you're heading north from Astoria and just over the bridge on the Washington side, you'll see one sign for "Dismal Nitch" and another sign for "Cape Disappointment."
Captain Clark (of Lewis and Clark) did name Dismal Nitch based on the weather, as was nearby Point Distress.

Cape Disappointment was actually named based on trader John Meares failing to find the river he knew should be in the area (he thought the shallow and dangerous Columbia River bar was a bay). The weather is definitely very grey there, however. I spent a lot of time in the area growing up.

Deception Pass, a photo of which was shared earlier in the thread, was named for similar reasons - Captain Vancouver did not find the pass, and believed he was following a peninsula. One of his surveyors, Joseph Whidbey, explored inlets in the area in a smaller boat and unexpectedly found the pass.

Other good ones:

Jack Kerouac spent a couple months manning a fire lookout on Desolation Peak. His final words about the location don't tell us much directly about the name: "All I want is an ice cream cone."

Foulweather Bay was another name given during the Vancouver expedition, this time actually due to the weather.

Mount Horrible and Mount Misery were named by settlers due to storms they experienced in their first years.

Bitter Lake is one of numerous Pacific NW lakes surrounded by cedar trees whose tannic acid flavors the water and makes it brown.

Angry Mountain is a small peak near Mt. St. Helens known for accumulating particularly heavy clouds.
Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 »

I'd stay in Florida and just wear more sunscreen! :)
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

thirdman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:57 pm I thank all of you so much.

Yes, Washington State because of the income tax. I am coming from a low tax state.

I have a lot of areas to look at. I did not know about the Olympic Rain Shadow. Thank you.

I will look at Reno.

thirdman
Keep in mind that, especially in retirement, there is a lot more to cost of living than income tax rate. For example, in Washington State, the sales tax can be as high as 10.5%, and we paid $80 each for drivers licenses. When I retired, it was cheaper overall for us to live in California.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:41 pm
Kennedy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:55 am Speaking of the western Washington weather, if you go a little further west of Vancouver, you'll find the Longbeach Peninsula. If you're heading north from Astoria and just over the bridge on the Washington side, you'll see one sign for "Dismal Nitch" and another sign for "Cape Disappointment."
Captain Clark (of Lewis and Clark) did name Dismal Nitch based on the weather, as was nearby Point Distress.

Cape Disappointment was actually named based on trader John Meares failing to find the river he knew should be in the area (he thought the shallow and dangerous Columbia River bar was a bay). The weather is definitely very grey there, however. I spent a lot of time in the area growing up.

Deception Pass, a photo of which was shared earlier in the thread, was named for similar reasons - Captain Vancouver did not find the pass, and believed he was following a peninsula. One of his surveyors, Joseph Whidbey, explored inlets in the area in a smaller boat and unexpectedly found the pass.

Other good ones:

Jack Kerouac spent a couple months manning a fire lookout on Desolation Peak. His final words about the location don't tell us much directly about the name: "All I want is an ice cream cone."

Foulweather Bay was another name given during the Vancouver expedition, this time actually due to the weather.

Mount Horrible and Mount Misery were named by settlers due to storms they experienced in their first years.

Bitter Lake is one of numerous Pacific NW lakes surrounded by cedar trees whose tannic acid flavors the water and makes it brown.

Angry Mountain is a small peak near Mt. St. Helens known for accumulating particularly heavy clouds.
I'll add Destruction Island off the Olympic Peninsula, Massacre Bay in the San Juans, Mt Terror and Mt Despair in the Cacades.

Head north a bit and you can visit Desolation Sound which despite it's name is quite nice.

I'm sure there's plenty more. The invention of Goretex and fleece seems to have improved people's views of the NW since the old days when the explorers were naming places.
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Thanks everyone.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We just moved away from Issaquah, WA (just east of Seattle and Bellevue). This is just my opinion and know that we moved out there in 2013 after living in OH/PA/KY all our lives and by 2020 we were very homesick. I personally would not recommend the area. As others have noted, your 650k budget is unlikely to get you the kind of house you want. We found the weather terrible year round; the winters are long, wet, and gloomy and the summers are very cool & short and often smoky from wildfires. Spring and fall really don't exist most years (only in 2019 did we see a fall). It is very crowded everywhere you go, even remote hiking trails on long pothole-filled old logging roads had a full parking lot with Priuses. We became very introverted due to the terrible traffic.

The homeless are also a huge problem and it makes the city and suburbs look very trashy. Even out where we lived near Fall City there was a constant battle to keep tent cities from popping up. I did not like that law & order did not seem a priority.

We are much happier living back in PA.

Vancouver might be better but I have no personal experience. I thought Spokane, WA would be a great place to live too.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

This territory nay have been covered, but I'll add my 2 c worth anyway.

There are a lot of places in this area other than Seattle and the other congested cities. If you're reasonably healthy and can explore a little, I'd check out the various distributed towns and cities of WA. There's a lot of natural beauty here in the form of mountains and forests. There are also mild temperatures. Locally (near Tacoma), the temperature has rarely gone above 90 F this summer, and has commonly been in the 70s as a high for the day. It's not for everyone, but if you're looking for a break from hot weather, that's worth keeping in mind.

Some people consider Vancouver WA to be a suburb of Portland. I've thought of checking it out to be close to Portland while still avoiding their income tax.
testing321

Post by testing321 »

The perfect solution for some might be to own one condo in Florida and another in WA. I spent weeks at a time consulting in Seattle, Portland and Miami. The winters are perfect in S FL and the summers are perfect in the PNW.
upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast »

"9 months of gloom". Not even close.
"winters are long, wet, and gloomy". Does 50 degrees even count as winter?
"summers are short and very cool." Compared to Phoenix, maybe. You really want 100 degrees? I find the PNW summers too hot!

Rare or never: tornados, hurricanes, electric storms, snow, ice. Volcanic eruptions and major earthquakes at giant intervals (500 years).
The worst you may experience is a month of little or no sun. It happens, some years, in winter. Go to the mountains, which are white with snow.
Look....it's easy to endure a Seattle "winter". Average yearly rainfall is 30-40 inches. Big deal. Ketchikan, Alaska it is not.
Summers can be glorious, if a bit too warm.
Cost of living and overcrowding are the main issues.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

testing321 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:31 pm The perfect solution for some might be to own one condo in Florida and another in WA. I spent weeks at a time consulting in Seattle, Portland and Miami. The winters are perfect in S FL and the summers are perfect in the PNW.
There are quite a lot of retirees near us in Vancouver, WA that do this with Arizona or Palm Springs.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

upperleftcoast wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:18 pm Rare or never: tornados, hurricanes, electric storms, snow, ice. Volcanic eruptions and major earthquakes at giant intervals (500 years).
The worst you may experience is a month of little or no sun. It happens, some years, in winter. Go to the mountains, which are white with snow.
Look....it's easy to endure a Seattle "winter". Average yearly rainfall is 30-40 inches. Big deal. Ketchikan, Alaska it is not.
Exaggerated descriptions notwithstanding, a lot of people really do hate the weather here. Some of us really like it. Most seem to just tolerate it. If you don't want to further encourage the overcrowding and high cost of living, don't over-promote the region.

As for geological hazards, significant earthquakes actually occur fairly frequently. M6.0 or greater quakes have occurred six times in the Puget Sound region since 1900. These are mostly in the numerous thrust faults throughout the region, like the Seattle Fault. The largest quakes are, of course, the least frequent, but a Seattle Fault quake 1100 years ago may have been as large as M7.5. The 2001 earthquake killed 1 person, injured a few hundred more, and caused several billion worth of damage. I would not be at all surprised to experience one or more similarly intense earthquakes in my lifetime.

Cascadia Subduction Zone quakes seem to occur every 300-600 years, and can be as large as M9.0. The last one was about 300 years ago. These present the most risk to the Pacific coast, but still a significant amount of risk to Seattle. This would be equivalent to the 2011 Tohoku quake.

Mount Saint Helens had two more eruptive episodes since the big 1980 eruption. These smaller events caused minor disruptions, but still had some effect. Mt. St. Helens is one of 4 volcanoes in Washington considered to present very high potential threats,

Landslides are also a frequently occurring geological hazard in Washington.

None of these are very on the list of likely cause of death, but they're still real risks.

Edited to add:

Enough snow to be slightly disruptive happens 1-3 times in a typical year. Enough snow or a big enough ice storm to shut down normal life for a couple days happens 1-3 times a decade, which is not enough to motivate the level of investment in snow-removal capability necessary to prevent such a major impact.

Flooding is also a regular occurrence, but flood maps have gotten pretty well developed, so it's not hard to determine the risk level of a home you may be considering.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:26 pm
upperleftcoast wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:18 pm Volcanic eruptions and major earthquakes at giant intervals (500 years).
Exaggerated descriptions notwithstanding, a lot of people really do hate the weather here. Some of us really like it. Most seem to just tolerate it. If you don't want to further encourage the overcrowding and high cost of living, don't over-promote the region.

As for geological hazards, significant earthquakes actually occur fairly frequently. M6.0 or greater quakes have occurred six times in the Puget Sound region since 1900. These are mostly in the numerous thrust faults throughout the region, like the Seattle Fault. The largest quakes are, of course, the least frequent, but a Seattle Fault quake 1100 years ago may have been as large as M7.5. The 2001 earthquake killed 1 person, injured a few hundred more, and caused several billion worth of damage. I would not be at all surprised to experience one or more similarly intense earthquakes in my lifetime.

Cascadia Subduction Zone quakes seem to occur every 300-600 years, and can be as large as M9.0. The last one was about 300 years ago. These present the most risk to the Pacific coast, but still a significant amount of risk to Seattle. This would be equivalent to the 2011 Tohoku quake.

Mount Saint Helens had two more eruptive episodes since the big 1980 eruption. These smaller events caused minor disruptions, but still had some effect. Mt. St. Helens is one of 4 volcanoes in Washington considered to present very high potential threats,

Landslides are also a frequently occurring geological hazard in Washington.

None of these are very on the list of likely cause of death, but they're still real risks.
I would add wildfires to the list. Smoky Augusts are becoming more common.
Watty

Post by Watty »

iamlucky13 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:26 pm As for geological hazards....
Lahars (volcanic mudflows) are also a risk. Tacoma and Puyallup will be at extreme risk if(when ?) Mt. Rainier erupts again.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

There’s also this New Yorker article that came out while I was living there where seismologists were predicting what would happen when the inevitable 9.0 earthquake hit the Puget Sound region. Most people living there are in denial about this, so I’m sure it’s not an actual problem.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

For what it is worth in the late 90s I lived in Tacoma for 4 years. Lived within walking distance of work (that for me was always important in working years). Aside from a bit of artistic revival in downtown area there was nothing in the city that appealed to me. Everything and I mean everything was better in Seattle. At that time mass transit not as developed as now and on symphony nights and such driving was about midnight before I got home. Weather didn't bother me. In fact to this day I much prefer Seattle and the amenities it offers in the winter. I expect my reaction to Vancouver WA vs. Portland would be exactly the same.

Now retired I am in the inland northwest - exactly where I grew up. Not ideal but a reasonable set of compromises for myself. Hot summers, overcrowding in the recreation areas, limited diversity and quality of food, and climate change factors such as forest fires the main drawback for me now.
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

Long-time Portland resident, having moved from Florida / the South in the 90s. Agreed that making sure the climate is a fit is important. I see a few snarky comments up-thread, so I'll just observe that I'm a stone's throw from one of the precinct stations where there have been nightly protests and this city is not nearly as anarchic as certain media outlets enjoy depicting. I'm guessing the main reason you are considering Vancouver is to have proximity to a major city but have the more advantageous WA state tax situation? Then consider White Salmon or Stevenson or one of the other towns on the WA side of the Gorge. Easy to drive into Portland or Hood River, beautiful, reasonable real estate prices, and it gets drier and sunnier the further east you go. Boise is also getting some buzz lately so you might want to consider that as well.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Contrary to what many believe, there's a lot more to the PNW than the strip of development from Vancouver, BC, to Portland, OR. We've lived in eastern Washington for six years now and love it. It's actually a borderline desert, averaging about 18 inches of precipitation annually, but still quite green due to all the evergreens. We have fun things to do outside every month of the year. It's an outdoor lover's paradise.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Kruser64

Post by Kruser64 »

lawman3966 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:13 pm Some people consider Vancouver WA to be a suburb of Portland. I've thought of checking it out to be close to Portland while still avoiding their income tax.
It's not just the OR income tax, but the OR estate tax is really high also. WA is much better, although not great. Something to consider for your own situation.
Watty

Post by Watty »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 pm
There’s also this New Yorker article that came out while I was living there where seismologists were predicting what would happen when the inevitable 9.0 earthquake hit the Puget Sound region. Most people living there are in denial about this, so I’m sure it’s not an actual problem.
That was a good article.

It is a bit ironic that the person talking about catastrophic earthquakes was named Dr. Goldfinger.
Philliesfan

Post by Philliesfan »

I currently live in Seattle and would love to move out.

There is a lot to love about the area. There are great bike paths with some beautiful views. It's a great area for water sports. There are many places to go hiking.

Unfortunately, the city politics are an absolute mess. Housing is extremely expensive, if you can even find a property you like. There has been decriminalization of petty crime and drug use. There is a huge homeless population and a massive methamphetamine problem. It is not uncommon to walk down the street in my neighborhood and have to cross the street because there is someone actively psychotic yelling expletives (yes, this happens often). My car has been broken into. My neighbors cars on my street have been broken into. The downtown area is filled with trash and there are tents everywhere.

Good luck with your decision.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 pm
That's the equivalent to the Tohoku earthquake that I mentioned. Our coastline is significantly less populated than Japan's, but also less well protected due to the shorter history of knowledge of the local tsunami risk, so some of the forecasts exceed 10,000 deaths. Because of the extra 75-100 miles distance from the coast to the more populated areas around Puget Sound, and the baffle effect of the tsunami flow through the Salish Sea, Puget Sound, and the Columbia River, most residents are likely to only be exposed to shaking of a similar intensity as the 2001 Nisqually quake, and a much smaller tsunami. That will still cause significant damage, but it's a relatively small percentage of the region's population that will face the worst effects.

I'm not aware of much denial about it. It's more that there is not detailed awareness of it and intentional individual planning to be prepared in case it happens in our lifetime (it's estimated at a 10% chance in the next 50 years). Awareness is better along the coast, starting with the marking of evacuation routes and occasional reminders to have go-bags ready.
Topic Author
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Thanks all. When I am able to travel I am going to have a lot of fun exploring different areas. Thanks for the New Yorker article. I will read it. Also I will consult flood maps.

thirdman
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

trinc wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:32 pm Vancouver is an odd town... like a city without a central core, and what is there is run down. BUT ! now that Portland is SO expensive the Vancouver area is coming back to life. It is MANY years away from becoming a new 'pearl district' ( if it ever can ).
Run down? 😂

As to your last sentence, Jesus, let’s hope it doesn’t. I live in Vancouver for a reason.
X528

Post by X528 »

What about Camas, Washington? It's in southern Washington state (a no income tax state), near the border with Portland, Oregon (a no sales tax state).
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

X528 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:30 pm What about Camas, Washington? It's in southern Washington state (a no income tax state), near the border with Portland, Oregon (a no sales tax state).
It's where I live, and we love it here. A lot of people are here for the schools though and our taxes are always getting higher. The OP will get more bang for their buck in East Vancouver or Washougal if they prefer the east side. Camas is also a lovely option.
X528

Post by X528 »

Isabelle77 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:38 pm
X528 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:30 pm What about Camas, Washington? It's in southern Washington state (a no income tax state), near the border with Portland, Oregon (a no sales tax state).
It's where I live, and we love it here. A lot of people are here for the schools though and our taxes are always getting higher. The OP will get more bang for their buck in East Vancouver or Washougal if they prefer the east side. Camas is also a lovely option.
Does Washington state have high real estate taxes?

Living in Camas, WA, one can pay no state income tax, and go do their sales tax-free shopping in Oregon, invest in Vanguard index funds, and optimize their tax efficiency.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

As others have noted, unless you are talking about a small condo or townhouse, $650K is not going to buy you much in Seattle or any of the "desirable" close in suburbs. Climate wise, I find it better here than pretty much anywhere on the east coast since I hate humidity. The winters are very dreary, particularly with the short days, but compared to anything from the Carolinas and up, it is relatively mild as far as low temperatures go.

If I were you, I'd rent for a year before you buy anything. There is a huge difference between Florida and here. Assuming you actually enjoyed your time in Florida, I think there is a non-negligible probability that you may hate it here, for all manner of reasons ....

A
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

X528 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Living in Camas, WA, one can pay no state income tax, and go do their sales tax-free shopping in Oregon, invest in Vanguard index funds, and optimize their tax efficiency.
Camas is high for the area. Higher home prices and higher property taxes. Someone without school age children could live next to Camas for less and still take advantage of the tax savings.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

It's worth mentioning that although many people do take advantage of this, WA requires that you pay "Use Tax" on items purchased for use in WA that you haven't paid sales tax on elsewhere (such as Oregon).

I don't think I've ever met anyone that's actually done this, but it is required.

https://dor.wa.gov/taxes-rates/use-tax
RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson »

MP123 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm

It's worth mentioning that although many people do take advantage of this, WA requires that you pay "Use Tax" on items purchased for use in WA that you haven't paid sales tax on elsewhere (such as Oregon).

I don't think I've ever met anyone that's actually done this, but it is required.

https://dor.wa.gov/taxes-rates/use-tax
I paid it on some very expensive items I purchased online from out of state. Then again, we haven't met :)
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Seattle (or at least north suburbs) Protip: Live near the water, like within a quarter mile or less. Not only might you have a view but the weather is much better than just a little bit inland and a few hundred feet higher in elevation. The air hits land and is forced upwards where more precipitation forms. There are at least a few dozen times a year in the winter where its raining almost all the way home then i come down the hill to no or little rain, lighter skies, and often a good sunset because the sun can get under the clouds as it goes down. Additionally its cooler in summer by the water, my car thermometer usually drops about 5 degrees and would probably drop more if it reached steady state.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

2pedals wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:11 pm Image

Don't come to the PNW, it rains almost everyday. :wink:
I love Deception Pass.
Shael_AT

Post by Shael_AT »

Lived in the Seattle Metro Area for 15 years. I travel extensively for work and have found over 10 years of doing so that I would truly rather be nowhere else.

Some tangible things; Access to amenities, world class healthcare and education, vibrate economy, clean air, clean water, progressive social circles, extraordinary nature not just in get aways but day to day life, no income tax liability, intelligent, rational and affluent neighbors and people (King County eastside proper, mostly), low crime, high proximity to successful and interesting people

Been to 37 states and over 1000 cities.
(Would not recommend, it's a lot and in 2 or 3-day trips I would hit 2,3,4,5 different towns or cities for telecom and data centre projects)

If money were no issue, it would be between here and San Diego / extended near by county. Hands down.
SebastianIII

Post by SebastianIII »

I would stay Closer to home and move to Asheville NC. Super nice area, so much to do and very beautiful.

https://www.romanticasheville.com/

https://www.flickr.com/groups/ashevillenc/pool/
Man looks in the abyss, there’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.
X528

Post by X528 »

Shael_AT wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:40 pm Lived in the Seattle Metro Area for 15 years. I travel extensively for work and have found over 10 years of doing so that I would truly rather be nowhere else.

Some tangible things; Access to amenities, world class healthcare and education, vibrate economy, clean air, clean water, progressive social circles, extraordinary nature not just in get aways but day to day life, no income tax liability, intelligent, rational and affluent neighbors and people (King County eastside proper, mostly), low crime, high proximity to successful and interesting people

(Would not recommend, it's a lot and in 2 or 3-day trips I would hit 2,3,4,5 different towns or cities for telecom and data centre projects)

If money were no issue, it would be between here and San Diego / extended near by county. Hands down.
Is Mercer Island, WA recommended as a good place to live?
Shael_AT

Post by Shael_AT »

X528 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:30 pm
Shael_AT wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:40 pm Lived in the Seattle Metro Area for 15 years. I travel extensively for work and have found over 10 years of doing so that I would truly rather be nowhere else.

Is Mercer Island, WA recommended as a good place to live?
Usually if you are looking at Mercer Island seriously, you would also consider Clyde Hill/Medina/Meydenbaur Bay area, Lake of the hills (woodinville area), Sammamish in general, Redmond (Bear creek area), or if you like the water particularly, Kirkland waterfront and hill tops are nice and a little more non-family / non-mcmansion sprawl feeling ;) ... these places is where homes range from 1mm-10mm, or beyond.

Yes, Mercer Island is great, but I prefer the eastside myself rather than right smack in the middle of SEA-DT, South-SEA and Eastside connected via the bridgeways.
trinc

Post by trinc »

j0nnyg1984 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:23 pm
trinc wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:32 pm Vancouver is an odd town... like a city without a central core, and what is there is run down. BUT ! now that Portland is SO expensive the Vancouver area is coming back to life. It is MANY years away from becoming a new 'pearl district' ( if it ever can ).
Run down? 😂

As to your last sentence, Jesus, let’s hope it doesn’t. I live in Vancouver for a reason.
ok, you can have your shuttered old businesses and watch the urban sprawl.

for those who don't know what 'the pearl' is: The north side of downtown Portland was filled with with old warehouse building from the railroad days that went unused/underutilized. Some where torn down others converted to condo's. It is now filled with new businesses and a younger group of people. Very fun place to get good food & drink with green spaces & public fountains. It is now spilling over to the upper south west side, with the added help of Providence Park ( Portland Timbers stadium ).

One of the best things Portland has is an urban boundary, land becomes too valuable to sit vacant...

Tim

Post by 1789 »

We are living in larger Portland/OR area last 5 years. My only problem is rain, i dont like it. I would much prefer snow over rain any minute. Other than rain, we are happy. NO to seattle. Its very expensive over there. I never understood why its Seattle is that expensive honestly. There is no beach that i can go and swim, why would you want to pay too much money for everything there. Same weather as Portland.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
trinc

Post by trinc »

1789 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:36 am We are living in larger Portland/OR area last 5 years. My only problem is rain, i dont like it. I would much prefer snow over rain any minute. Other than rain, we are happy. NO to seattle. Its very expensive over there. I never understood why its Seattle is that expensive honestly. There is no beach that i can go and swim, why would you want to pay too much money for everything there. Same weather as Portland.
Seattle is constrained by two bodies of water ( less land ) + uSoft and boeing :happy