Is Ting messing with us?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kurious

Is Ting messing with us?

Post by kurious »

Hello,

To save on our cellphone costs, we switched to Ting from ATT based on some reviews on this forum. Although our average monthly bill has reduced slightly ($80 for 2 lines from $95), I am not personally happy with the service for the following reasons:

1. The service is poorer than ATT in the Boston area. Some text messages, such as those from Vanguard and Fidelity, often take a long time to come through. Calls from skype may or may not show up.

2. Frankly, I don't always understand the billing mechanism. Last month, for example, the bill had a line item for "1800 minutes of calls beyond 0" with no explanation. This was apart from the standard line item for number of minutes. I plan to call customer service to clarify.

3. The support for international roaming is virtually non-existent. Customer service has no clue and they were unable to activate the service for almost 2 months when I was traveling internationally last year.

4. To top it all, I received a message recently that my Samsung Galaxy S7 lacks VoLTE and Ting will not support it. The "Enhanced LTE Services" option was enabled on the phone. I have been experiencing particularly bad issues with call quality of late.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I am wondering whether to switch carriers again.

Thank you for your inputs.

kurious

Re: Is Ting messing with us?

Post by 123 »

According to wikipedia "Ting supports devices that run on Sprint (CDMA), T-Mobile (GSM) and Verizon's (CDMA) cellular networks depending on the frequencies of the device" so it's a different network world than ATT. Cell phone service varies tremendously based on the carrier and location of the nearest local towers as well as the frequency capabilities of your phone. The frequency capabilities of your phone need to match what the carrier is using in your area for the best service. A major carrier, like T-Mobile of ATT may use different frequencies (bands) in different areas as they have ongoing upgrade efforts.

If the carrier (Ting) says it does not support your phone then you may find reception very hit-or-miss. Your phone may give you some connectivity based on earliar generations of cell phone technology that Ting may still provide. "LTE" seems to be the most common current cell phone technolgy for data and "VoLTE" is "voice over LTE". If a phone doesn't support those it may be time to replace it.
Last edited by 123 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

I can't help on Ting but if you decide to jump ship - how good is T-Mo in your area?

I can get you a free code for ether 20% off of your plan or $200 off of a phone, the downside is it expires at the end of this month.
Keep in mind this depends on how good T-Mo is in your area if AT&T is better go back to them.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

You should just port over to mint mobile if your local tmobile tower has a good signal and the rest of your roaming area is OK with tmobile.

I think currently it all depends on how many lines you have in your plan though. Good luck!
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Consumer Cellular may be marketed to old people, but I like it. They run on either T-mobile or AT&T network. They will likely try to default you to the T-mobile network. However, you can request and insist on a AT&T SIM. That's what we're doing. I see no difference since my time with AT&T, except for a $40 reduction in my bill for the same level of data, voice and text service.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

I've had better luck with them than you, sorry to hear it's going so poorly. Coverage here in the DC area has been fine for me, I've used them with a Sprint/CDMA phone and now a T-Mobile/GSM SIM and reception is OK, general T-Mobile network problems notwithstanding.

Not had any weird stuff show up on my bill, I'd contact them ASAP. I haven't used customer support in a few years, but I had a good experience the few times I did (very short hold times, actually helpful person).

A few years ago I used their roaming in Canada, I gave them a heads up beforehand, or maybe did something on the website and it worked OK. Though it's probably a poor example as their network is so similar to the US.

I think the VoLTE mandate may be coming from T-mobile, I thought it was for 2021. IIRC they're trying to free up capacity on the voice bands for more data or something. You might have some time before that happens.

As far as solutions... my wife uses Google's Project Fi, which is another MVNO though I think what makes Fi special is that your phone can use multiple networks. I think it still heavily uses T-mobile though, so if 2-3 of your Ting issues are really T-mobile network issues, this may not be a solution. Maybe investigate if there's any MVNOs that use AT&T so you can keep your current phone?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

t-mobile or sprint are at the bottom.

I like Ting, but their model of charging is only good if you don't use your phone. Put it in the drawer. Optimal bill. :x

I hate data watching and minute watching. Yuck. Plus their coverage is way below Verizon or AT&T.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Zephyr2

Post by Zephyr2 »

Switch to T-Mobile, and if you're over 55 it will only be $70 a month (taxes included) for two lines of unlimited data, calls, etc. In my experience the service is excellent in the Boston area, and over much of southern New England except for Vermont and Down East Maine. Visible at $70 for two lines of unlimited might be an option too, if running on the Verizon network is better for you. I have no experience with Visible, but like their pricing and the fact it is 100% online only--no dealing with store clerk issues.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

If your phone worked better when you were on ATT, you could consider Red Pocket Mobile. You buy a year's service on eBay (mine is 240. for one year on ATT, unlimited voice and text and 5GB date per month).

However, as someone mentioned, the really outstanding benefit of Ting is their customer service. If you call them up with your issues, you'll get a nice person who will work hard to help you. If it's their network that's the problem (they use T-Mobile and Sprint) you might have to change providers.

If you need international, you could consider Google Fi. When I've been on an MVNO, I buy a sim when I'm in Europe to use there. I think when you've got data, a Google Voice number will work even out of the country, but I'm not certain of that.
Zephyr2

Post by Zephyr2 »

However, as someone mentioned, the really outstanding benefit of Ting is their customer service.
Ting has been bought by Dish Network. You can probably kiss customer service goodbye soon.
Last edited by Zephyr2 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuper1

Post by stuper1 »

I've been with PureTalk USA for several years and been very happy. Currently, paying $85/month for four lines of unlimited calls and texts and somewhat limited data (my daughter and son wait for wifi connection to use much data). The thing that has amazed me is that every time I have called for help, I have gotten an actual real live native-English-speaking person on the phone to help me within a few minutes.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Zephyr2 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:20 am
However, as someone mentioned, the really outstanding benefit of Ting is their customer service.
Ting has been bought by Dish Network. You can probably kiss customer service goodbye soon.
It will be interesting to see. The deal is a little complicated, and Tucows is going to be the platform for both Ting and Boost, so that aspect may be ok. https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2020/0 ... twork.html
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

rooms222 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:00 am
It will be interesting to see. The deal is a little complicated, and Tucows is going to be the platform for both Ting and Boost, so that aspect may be ok. https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2020/0 ... twork.html
Boost will be run by T-Mo for a good while yet as Dish has absolutely no infrastructure in place to do anything.
We are treating them as a paying vendor at this point. I doubt anything gets moved off over the next 300 days.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

For the Boston area I have always found Verizon to be king. To me - this is one of those areas where I believe you get what you pay for. If you want to save money and are okay with inconsistent and occasionally poor service - go with a discounted offering/carrier. If you want the best - which is what I believe since Mobile communication is so important these days (at least to me) - I don't believe anyone beats Verizon.
FD1150

Post by FD1150 »

DW and I have been with Ting ever since they were highly rated in an article in the WSJ several years ago. Their customer service is top notch, and whomever answers the phone owns your problem until it is resolved. No passing the buck. I am a bit mystified at your bill. We have 3 phone lines and one data-enabled tablet that we use without consideration of the bill and have never had a bill over 50 dollars. Ting is a class act.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

I've had Ting for probably 4 years now. With 2 lines my monthly bill is typically $38. It did go to $69 last month when I went out of town for a week and tethered a laptop to it. I'm not one of those people with a phone to their ear all the time or face buried in the screen nonstop. They have a discussion forum that can help with most issues you may have. Maybe post a question there.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Post by Tubes » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 am

Consumer Cellular may be marketed to old people, but I like it. They run on either T-mobile or AT&T network. They will likely try to default you to the T-mobile network. However, you can request and insist on a AT&T SIM. That's what we're doing. I see no difference since my time with AT&T, except for a $40 reduction in my bill for the same level of data, voice and text service.
Tubes is spot on in his comments. Don't be put off by all the "gray heads" in their TV commercials. We have been with CC for nearly 6 years now; and could not be happier with the service - 3 phones with unlimited text & talk; and 3 GB data for $60 per month + taxes.

We have tried both the AT&T & T-Mobile connections; and find AT&T works best in our area, South Florida.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

brad.clarkston wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:53 am I can't help on Ting but if you decide to jump ship - how good is T-Mo in your area?

I can get you a free code for ether 20% off of your plan or $200 off of a phone, the downside is it expires at the end of this month.
Keep in mind this depends on how good T-Mo is in your area if AT&T is better go back to them.
If t-mobile is good go mint.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Tubes wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:32 am Consumer Cellular may be marketed to old people, but I like it. They run on either T-mobile or AT&T network. They will likely try to default you to the T-mobile network. However, you can request and insist on a AT&T SIM. That's what we're doing. I see no difference since my time with AT&T, except for a $40 reduction in my bill for the same level of data, voice and text service.
Look at mint as well. Runs on T-mobile. I'm paying 15 a month for each of our 2 phones.
msi

Post by msi »

kurious wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:30 am Hello,

To save on our cellphone costs, we switched to Ting from ATT based on some reviews on this forum. Although our average monthly bill has reduced slightly ($80 for 2 lines from $95), I am not personally happy with the service for the following reasons:

1. The service is poorer than ATT in the Boston area. Some text messages, such as those from Vanguard and Fidelity, often take a long time to come through. Calls from skype may or may not show up.

2. Frankly, I don't always understand the billing mechanism. Last month, for example, the bill had a line item for "1800 minutes of calls beyond 0" with no explanation. This was apart from the standard line item for number of minutes. I plan to call customer service to clarify.

3. The support for international roaming is virtually non-existent. Customer service has no clue and they were unable to activate the service for almost 2 months when I was traveling internationally last year.

4. To top it all, I received a message recently that my Samsung Galaxy S7 lacks VoLTE and Ting will not support it. The "Enhanced LTE Services" option was enabled on the phone. I have been experiencing particularly bad issues with call quality of late.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I am wondering whether to switch carriers again.

kurious
The Galaxy S7 doesn't support band 71, and the experience on Ting's GSM network (which runs on T-Mobile) will be weak without that. You either need a new phone or a new network. If don't want to upgrade your phone, then do NOT switch to Mint, as they are also a T-Mobile MVNO. Instead, have a look at AT&T Prepaid or Consumer Cellular (with an AT&T SIM, obviously).
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I've been Ting user and big fan for several years, but I also wonder what the Dish purchase will do to poor Ting.

They say they're going to retain their current customer service staff (and even have them train the Dish people!), so that's good news. I guess we'll see.

I hope they know better than to mess with the pricing. It's a competitive market out there, especially for no-contract providers where it's super-easy for a customer to walk.
Stay on target...
acadiel

Post by acadiel »

kurious
Saw this thread - been a Ting customer since their beta (9 year ago). As I'm a new user and lurker, I'll probably be put in posting purgatory for a bit here. My monthly Ting bill is $23/mo, so I really do like them.

From what I understand:

1) Depends if you're on T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint's networks. You can always switch networks if you like - just contact their customer service department. Each network needs its own SIM cards, and not all phones are compatible with all three networks (the S7 had a Sprint and Verizon version, for example, check with Ting's tech support). Get the network that works better at your location. The only one they don't do is AT&T.

2) You pay for what you use - 1800 minutes puts you in a specific block of usage. https://ting.com/rates has the rates for text, talk, and data. You use 0 minutes, you don't pay for any minutes, so there's none included - probably a developer that didn't word things properly.

3) International roaming is super easy. It has it's own knowledge base article on how to turn it on. https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles ... -rates-0-1 - They do even warn about the potential cost. "Although it's important to be aware of the cost which can often end up being significantly more expensive than you expect, for short-term travel or if you plan on minimally using your phone, this can be the easiest and cheapest option."

4) Depends on the carrier variant of the S7 and which network that you're on. There are some phones that support VoLTE on one network, but not another. Probably a good idea to engage with their technical support to see what all the info is correct here for your use case. VoLTE devices have to be carrier certified on the networks on which they're running. Even a few years ago, a T-Mobile Variant with VoLTE wouldn't necessarily work on Verizon's VoLTE network. I do know T-Mobile's 2G is going away this year, but don't know when they're going to enforce VoLTE (HSPA's still going to be on). Verizon is enforcing VoLTE when CDMA goes away at year end. No idea what T-Mobile's gonna do with Sprint, but they haven't activated non-VoLTE devices in over a year and a half.

The above is probably mostly correct, but I might be slightly off in some of it. Feel free to correct or such if needed.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I used to have Ting but suffered on Sprint's network - switched to Cricket (ATT network) and now pay $30 including taxes and fees.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

acadiel wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:59 pm

kurious
Saw this thread - been a Ting customer since their beta (9 year ago). As I'm a new user and lurker, I'll probably be put in posting purgatory for a bit here. My monthly Ting bill is $23/mo, so I really do like them.

From what I understand:

1) Depends if you're on T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint's networks. You can always switch networks if you like - just contact their customer service department. Each network needs its own SIM cards, and not all phones are compatible with all three networks (the S7 had a Sprint and Verizon version, for example, check with Ting's tech support). Get the network that works better at your location. The only one they don't do is AT&T.

2) You pay for what you use - 1800 minutes puts you in a specific block of usage. https://ting.com/rates has the rates for text, talk, and data. You use 0 minutes, you don't pay for any minutes, so there's none included - probably a developer that didn't word things properly.

3) International roaming is super easy. It has it's own knowledge base article on how to turn it on. https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles ... -rates-0-1 - They do even warn about the potential cost. "Although it's important to be aware of the cost which can often end up being significantly more expensive than you expect, for short-term travel or if you plan on minimally using your phone, this can be the easiest and cheapest option."

4) Depends on the carrier variant of the S7 and which network that you're on. There are some phones that support VoLTE on one network, but not another. Probably a good idea to engage with their technical support to see what all the info is correct here for your use case. VoLTE devices have to be carrier certified on the networks on which they're running. Even a few years ago, a T-Mobile Variant with VoLTE wouldn't necessarily work on Verizon's VoLTE network. I do know T-Mobile's 2G is going away this year, but don't know when they're going to enforce VoLTE (HSPA's still going to be on). Verizon is enforcing VoLTE when CDMA goes away at year end. No idea what T-Mobile's gonna do with Sprint, but they haven't activated non-VoLTE devices in over a year and a half.

The above is probably mostly correct, but I might be slightly off in some of it. Feel free to correct or such if needed.

The legacy Sprint lte network is CDMA so there is no sim card. We should be starting to switch customers over to the new T-MO combined GSM network early next year so if your on any Sprint based MVNO you'll ether need to switch phones or change service within the next few years no matter what.