Pour-Over Coffee maker

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Pour-Over Coffee maker

Post by BogleMelon »

I am looking for a reasonable quality well-known brand for a pour-over coffee maker (with its pot). It has to be non-electric, something like that (just an example of the shape, I have no idea if this specific example is of a good quality): https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Coffee-Mak ... 265&sr=8-3

Thanks!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
depressed

Re: Pour-Over Coffee maker

Post by depressed »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 pm I am looking for a reasonable quality well-known brand for a pour-over coffee maker (with its pot). It has to be non-electric, something like that (just an example of the shape, I have no idea if this specific example is of a good quality): https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Coffee-Mak ... 265&sr=8-3

Thanks!
My coffee preferences, such as they are, are well-known on this forum (in short: I would not buy a pour-over coffee maker). But I always enjoy the aesthetics of the Chemex carafe that one of my cousins brings out when I visit.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

My husband enjoys his Chemex. It is good for home use but doesn't travel well (being glass and all-in-one).

He uses the plastic basket of a drip coffee maker for pourover coffee on the road - another benefit is it takes standard filters, not specialty ones.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Melitta. Under $10.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

We do French press during the week, and Chemex on the weekends since it has larger capacity. The original Chemex design is featured in the Museum of Modern Art collection and is American made. What more do you want?
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

houseofnine wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 pm We do French press during the week, and Chemex on the weekends since it has larger capacity. The original Chemex design is featured in the Museum of Modern Art collection and is American made. What more do you want?
Portability, durability (for those of us that are accident prone), and a higher acidity than provided by the extra thick Chemex filters.

I recommend a Hario V60 and whatever carafe you prefer. (Zojirushi makes excellent insulated ones.)
RunMarkRun

Post by RunMarkRun »

Have you tried Search? This topic has been discussed at length not long ago.
SantaClaraSurfer

Post by SantaClaraSurfer »

Does not address OP, but we just use #2 filters in a pour over coffee cone with our Keurig coffee maker.

Makes a nice 10 oz. cup.

Works for Tea too.

Our use of the plastic pods has dwindled to almost zero.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I've done Melitta, Chemex, french press, different electric gizmos. For a long, long time the favorite in my house was french press. Then my wife picked up a Chemex at a garage sale, and it is top dog. Online reviews describe the Chemex coffee as "thin" and not as "rich." I disagree. Their proprietary filter takes out bitterness and the resulting cup has a slight sweetness that is unique. If you add sweetener to your coffee you may not notice it.

The problem with Chemex is that the filters are expensive, although I find that they can be used several times before discarding. Also, the vessel is relatively hard to handle which makes me think that it is a hot coffee everywhere accident waiting to happen.
jj45

Post by jj45 »

I’ve used them all and keep comimg back to the simple Melitta, 20 bucks
https://shoponline.melitta.com/product ... e-set-52oz
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

jj45 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:15 pm I’ve used them all and keep comimg back to the simple Melitta, 20 bucks
https://shoponline.melitta.com/product ... e-set-52oz
Skip the Carafe and it's $3-5 depending where you buy it, https://shoponline.melitta.com/collecti ... cone-black
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:05 pm Melitta. Under $10.
+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

I got one a Bonavita immersion dripper for work:

https://bonavitaworld.com/products/wide ... on-dripper

I've been very happy with the coffee it makes.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Isn’t a pour over coffee maker basically just a cone that you can put a filter in? If that’s the case, it doesn’t seem that there would be much difference from one pour over coffee maker to another. Am I missing something?
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I remember my mother enjoying her Chemex; I think she got it in the 1960s. It looked great with the avocado-green cabinets and brown-pebble linoleum in our mid-century modern California tract house. She used it for decades. She traveled with the Melitta.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The Chemex filters were unavailable nationwide for the first few months of the COVID-19 crisis. When my supply ran out in early May, I placed an order but did not receive the filters until early August. I found my old Melitta and began using that for the first time in seven years. It worked, and I even found filters for it at a nearby grocery. However, the coffee made in the Melitta did not taste as good as the coffee made in the Chemex. I'm glad to have switched back to my Chemex two weeks ago, and I will now keep a large emergency supply of Chemex filters on hand.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

Chemex for all the reasons already stated.

These used to be called 'drip' coffee pots.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:20 pm The Chemex filters were unavailable nationwide for the first few months of the COVID-19 crisis. When my supply ran out in early May, I placed an order but did not receive the filters until early August. I found my old Melitta and began using that for the first time in seven years. It worked, and I even found filters for it at a nearby grocery. However, the coffee made in the Melitta did not taste as good as the coffee made in the Chemex. I'm glad to have switched back to my Chemex two weeks ago, and I will now keep a large emergency supply of Chemex filters on hand.
Just curious, what was the difference? Also does the dripping take the same amount of time between the two different machines?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:06 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:20 pm The Chemex filters were unavailable nationwide for the first few months of the COVID-19 crisis. When my supply ran out in early May, I placed an order but did not receive the filters until early August. I found my old Melitta and began using that for the first time in seven years. It worked, and I even found filters for it at a nearby grocery. However, the coffee made in the Melitta did not taste as good as the coffee made in the Chemex. I'm glad to have switched back to my Chemex two weeks ago, and I will now keep a large emergency supply of Chemex filters on hand.
Just curious, what was the difference? Also does the dripping take the same amount of time between the two different machines?
The difference is that the Melitta filter is flimsy and the Chemex filter is not. That means that the Melitta drips about twice as fast as the Chemex, and lets a lot more of the oils and other stuff through into the carafe whereas the Chemex traps them.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:27 pm
nalor511 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:06 pm
The difference is that the Melitta filter is flimsy and the Chemex filter is not. That means that the Melitta drips about twice as fast as the Chemex, and lets a lot more of the oils and other stuff through into the carafe whereas the Chemex traps them.
Got it. Could use two filters, according to the internets
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Another vote for the Chemex. Before I picked it up, I used my French Press all the time, and now I like the French Press for the darker, more robust flavors, and the Chemex for coffee with brighter tasting notes, as I feel I can detect them better in that compared to the French Press.

The device you choose should be secondary to the freshness of the beans, proper grind, and water temperature, of course.
csm

Post by csm »

I've made pour-over coffee for over 30 years (but primarily use Nespresso now).

My two favorite pour-over options are:

Melitta white porcelain: https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-cafetera ... 000QY9YDY/

or if I need a thermos to keep it hot longer, with another nod to a MOMA entrant:

Stelton stainless steel: https://www.amazon.com/Stelton-EM77-Vac ... 000G6NG2C/
with a funnel.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

The Chemex is gorgeous, and mine looks beautiful sitting on the shelf, where it stays. I’ve had trouble with maintaining the temperature by time it’s ready to serve. But I’m not a pour over expert, and I could be doing it wrong. I usually make myself an individual cup pour over if I want good coffee and don’t want to deal with a French press. I usually break out the Chemex when I have family visiting, and their palates seem more attuned to “scalding hot McDonalds coffee,” and they always immediately microwave whatever comes out the Chemex, so I’ve given up. I get good flavor out of it, but the temp does drop.

I think good beans will make a bigger difference than whatever equipment you’re using if you’re already into pour over territory.

Full disclosure, out of laziness, I’ve defaulted to an Oxo 9 cup automatic brewer, which is good enough and frees me up to herd children in the morning. Your use case may be different.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

csm wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:18 am I've made pour-over coffee for over 30 years (but primarily use Nespresso now).

My two favorite pour-over options are:

Melitta white porcelain: https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-cafetera ... 000QY9YDY/

or if I need a thermos to keep it hot longer, with another nod to a MOMA entrant:

Stelton stainless steel: https://www.amazon.com/Stelton-EM77-Vac ... 000G6NG2C/
with a funnel.
I use that Melitta when I want an individual cup. Works very nicely. Easy to clean as well!
JB2

Post by JB2 »

I’ve used Chemex for years, great system. I’ve recently switched to Fellow Stagg XF. I’ve really been enjoying it and it’s become my new go to coffee routine.

Whatever you choose, the quality of the beans is the most important.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Afty wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:02 pm Isn’t a pour over coffee maker basically just a cone that you can put a filter in? If that’s the case, it doesn’t seem that there would be much difference from one pour over coffee maker to another. Am I missing something?
Yes, but the thing it's made out of can affect the temperature the water is at when it brews the coffee, so material makes a slight difference. But not really.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 pm I am looking for a reasonable quality well-known brand for a pour-over coffee maker (with its pot). It has to be non-electric, something like that (just an example of the shape, I have no idea if this specific example is of a good quality): https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Coffee-Mak ... 265&sr=8-3
So, a Chemex clone? I love the Chemex look and that is not a bad copy (with a difference). Chemex makes good coffee and i suspect that one will as well. Chemex claims its filters are a big part of the results.

I see it is made of borosilicate glass which is a really good thing and surprising at its low price. I think Chemex is no longer made of borosilicate unless you go for their (much) more expensive versions.

If you don't mind being hands-on throughout the process it will likely repay you with great coffee and do so at a much lower price than the Chemex!

One thing that eventually caused me to give up on the Chemex (and the Bodum looks the same in this respect) is it requires constant attention as you need to keep adding water as it does its thing. The top doesn't hold enough water for a full pot. I like my Technivorm Moccamaster because I can walk away and come back to a full pot when I am good and ready! I don't even need to boil the water. Of course this requires electricity.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Chrono Triggered

Nearly A Moose wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:34 am The Chemex is gorgeous, and mine looks beautiful sitting on the shelf, where it stays. I’ve had trouble with maintaining the temperature by time it’s ready to serve. But I’m not a pour over expert, and I could be doing it wrong.
Are you rinsing out the Chemex with hot water right before use by chance?
JPH

Post by JPH »

Also consider the physical stability of the unit you choose. One toppled on my mom while she was pouring, and she received a pretty severe burn.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Chrono Triggered wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:11 am
Nearly A Moose wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:34 am The Chemex is gorgeous, and mine looks beautiful sitting on the shelf, where it stays. I’ve had trouble with maintaining the temperature by time it’s ready to serve. But I’m not a pour over expert, and I could be doing it wrong.
Not enough I’d imagine. I’ve only recently fully internalized the importance of pre warming mugs.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

I find pour over a pain in the neck.

I visited this site and discovered most on this actually mimic pour over. I ended up with the OXO 8 cup. It comes with a smaller filter basket to make single 10oz cups too.

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
somekevinguy

Post by somekevinguy »

wfrobinette wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:01 am I find pour over a pain in the neck.

I visited this site and discovered most on this actually mimic pour over. I ended up with the OXO 8 cup. It comes with a smaller filter basket to make single 10oz cups too.

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer
I have the same Oxo 8 cup for everyday use (my process still involves measuring out whole beans, grinding, measuring out water) but it is pretty easy to use and makes a pretty good (SCA certified) cup- the single serve option is also nice too. Otherwise, I also have a Chemex that I use when I have a little more time.
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

We switched to using the Coffeesock reusable filter and have been pleased thus far.
"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
Chrono Triggered

Nearly A Moose wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:47 am
Chrono Triggered wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:11 am
Not enough I’d imagine. I’ve only recently fully internalized the importance of pre warming mugs.
That might be the culprit too. I slosh around hot water in the Chemex, hitting each side, just before I place the filter and the grounded up beans. Right before I pour the coffee, I rinse the mug I'm going to use with hot water from the sink. My cup is piping hot. I haven't tried to see how hot it would be with only the Chemex rinse, however. Perhaps I will experiment tomorrow morning.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

By far--the Clever Coffee Dripper. Cheap and allows you to brew for as long as you'd like for extra strength before dripping into your cup. Much better IMO than Melitta. https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dr ... 6183&psc=1
TSR

Post by TSR »

I think there are really only two main variables for your purchase:

1. Do you care what filters you use? Chemex filters do I nice job pulling out acids etc. for a great cup of coffee, but they are more expensive (maybe 2.5 times more) and are not sold at most grocery stores. If you get the Chemex glass product, you can use a non-chemex filter in it if you like.

2. Do you care what the pour-over pours into? So with Chemex or the product you linked, you cannot make more coffee than fits into the vessel. There are a lot of "single serve" makes that you could use to pour into a larger vessel. I agree with others that the larger Chemex products (the eight and ten cup varieties) are a little hard to handle for smaller hands. If you go with a non-integrated product, I'd definitely go porcelain or stainless rather than plastic. The porcelain Melitta seems nice and even offers a little porcelain carafe you could pour into if you wanted.

Good luck -- it's a fun world to get into! I switched back to a fancy drip coffee maker (you can find my post about it) because it is somewhat time-consuming, but you will get some good coffee out of it.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Chemex works well but you might give an Aeropress a try.
It's incredibly fast (cf. Chemex) , very simple, extremely easy to clean, you can travel with it, and it only costs about $30 so if you don't like it it's no big deal.
dpc

Post by dpc »

+1 on Aeropress. Works best if making one cup at a time. But it makes outstanding coffee and clean up is pretty simple.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers